Oranguru Discussion

That's true and it shouldn't be a different turn so double flinching wouldn't work unless the Pokémon is slower than Oranguru

So I was going through the research thread and found this:
SmartSelectImage_2016-11-14-18-49-43.png

This is interesting because oranguru can instruct it's ally into baton passing +4 atk (swords dance), +4 s.atk (nasty plot) or +2/+2/+2 (quiver dance) in just 2 turns.

Turn 1 set up TR with oranguru boost with ally
Turn 2 use instruct on Ally and have the ally choose Baton Pass.
Turn 3 bring in sweeper of choice and use protect to burn a trick room turn.
Turn 4 idk just attack?

I know this sounds gimmicky but if used right it could be pretty devastating. Any thoughts?

Scarf Serene Grace Blissey or Dunsparce + Scarf Oranguru

Rock Slide + Instruct
Foe A flinched! Foe B flinched!
Rock Slide + Instruct
Rock Slide + Instruct

Unfortunately both are slowmons so you need another means of speed control.

This would be a whole lot more effective in an AAA Doubles format, where you can give the guru Prankster.

Scarf Serene Grace Blissey or Dunsparce + Scarf Oranguru

Rock Slide + Instruct
Rock Slide + Instruct
Rock Slide + Instruct

Unfortunately both are slowmons so you need another means of speed control.

This would be a whole lot more effective in an AAA Doubles format, where you can give the guru Prankster.
Since both are so slow, and you're in Double anyway, how about Trick Room?

Just use a Skill Link user and give it a King's Rock. That's ten hits, each having a 10% chance of flinching. Of course, you'll want to set things up were you'll be performing the attacks one after another as well as before your opponent moves, so I'm guessing you'll need a Trick Room on turn 1 and you'll want your Speed EVs to be adjusted just so...

EDIT: Also wondering if Instruct could guarantee a Focus Punch, so as long as Oranguru moves last? Not a very efficient way of using a turn, obviously.

Hey guys. I was thinking of gimmicky Shuckle strats and was thinking of Power Trick and Trick Room as being a fun option. Awesomely, Oranguru gets Trick Room and also an exclusive move called Instruct. Now here's the plan.

Shuckle @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Power Trick
- Protect

Oranguru @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: (haven't figured these out yet but tanky)
(not sure on nature either)
- Foul Play
- Psychic Terrain / Taunt / Protect
- Instruct
- Trick Room

On turn one, go for Power trick and Trick room. Then Shuckle Rock Slides. Then Oranguru uses instruct on Shuckle making him go for yet another Rock Slide. And the thing about Rock Slide is its 30% chance to flinch. With two Rock Slides, it's something like a 50% chance to flinch while doing STAB 75 BP Life Orb damage off of 230 Attack. If Shuckle decides to go for Earthquake, Oranguru has Telepathy. Priority kills Shuckle, so Psychic Terrain is there to help block that if needed (if you feel you don't need protect). Now, obviously, taunt shuts this all down so it's not amazing but if it gets set up, then it's an awesome gimmick!

EDIT: With it all set up and Oranguru using instruct, Shuckle kills Mega Kangaskhan in one turn. Hopefully, Psychic Terrain is set up too, otherwise sucker punch gives you a dead Shuckle...
252+ Atk Life Orb Shuckle Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 107-126 (59.1 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

EDIT: Shuckle isn't in Alola it turns out but maybe I can use him later. A replacement for him seems to be Rampardos. Rampardos has SHeer Force, which means, although taking away the flinch, it does do a lot of damage with a Life Orb.

Last edited:
Does instruct work with charge move like hyperbeam or solar beam, the user can fire move twice in a row?

Does instruct work when the target is fainted, does it repeat the move on the other target?

EDIT: Shuckle isn't in Alola it turns out but maybe I can use him later. A replacement for him seems to be Rampardos. Rampardos has SHeer Force, which means, although taking away the flinch, it does do a lot of damage with a Life Orb.
I mean, if you really wanna push the flinch gimmick, you could have Rampardos with Mold Breaker. Would ruin any Sturdy users on the other side (although I'm not sure there are any relevant ones that would get OHKO'd by Rock Slide), and I think it might even bypass abilities that make the user immune to flinching like Inner Focus. From what I can gather from Bulbapedia, it does.

How about this combo for VGC:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
-Geomancy

Oranguru @ Power Herb
Ability: Symbiosis
-Instruct

Xerneas going for Geomancy and gets the +2 boost.
Symbiosis moves Orangurus Power Herb to Xerneas.
Ornaguru uses Instruct on Xerneas.
Xerneas going for anoter Geomancy and gets another +2 boost.

Edit: Hopes ruined. no Xerneas. :( also, freakin item clause.

Last edited:
How about this combo for VGC:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
-Geomancy

Oranguru @ Power Herb
Ability: Symbiosis
-Instruct

Xerneas going for Geomancy and gets the +2 boost.
Symbiosis moves Orangurus Power Herb to Xerneas.
Ornaguru uses Instruct on Xerneas.
Xerneas going for anoter Geomancy and gets another +2 boost.
You.
You're a sick and twisted person.
I love it.
But Xerneas is not allowed in VGC 2017 and might not be allowed in years to come either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)