Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

How are Vivillon's forms considered with breeding?
I have a few off-region vivillons from XY, and i felt like breeding some to spread them around on GTS & wonder trade. But I'm not sure if the pattern carries to the children or if all children default to your current region.
Their pattern is set by the region you are in when it hatches. The easiest way to get ones of every region with your OT and Trainer# is to breed one, and trade it to someone in the desired region for them to hatch it for you. If you don't care about the OT/T#, you just have to hunt around for people in the regions you want, regardless. There's probably shenanigans you can do with changing the region on your DS? I never mess with that stuff, myself.

Their pattern is set by the region you are in when it hatches. The easiest way to get ones of every region with your OT and Trainer# is to breed one, and trade it to someone in the desired region for them to hatch it for you. If you don't care about the OT/T#, you just have to hunt around for people in the regions you want, regardless. There's probably shenanigans you can do with changing the region on your DS? I never mess with that stuff, myself.
I see, bummer. Thankfully I don't care too much about matching my ID. Guess I'll just need to try my hand at GTS

I see, bummer. Thankfully I don't care too much about matching my ID. Guess I'll just need to try my hand at GTS
I haven't checked it in 7th gen, but in 6th gen it's determined by the save file the Pokemon is bred/caught on, not hatched, and the pattern your save file produces is determined by 3DS location when you started, so even with location changing you're stuck with one pattern per save file.

In Emerald, what's the chance of a Nuzleaf outbreak on any one day? I'm pretty sure it's less than 1/7 because I've played for over 100 days and never had a Nuzleaf outbreak.
Am I allowed to bump this? By the way, my internal battery isn't dead.

How close to launch did Sun/Moon leak? I got into Smogon from checking out all the new Pokemon's stats/abilities.

How close to launch did Sun/Moon leak? I got into Smogon from checking out all the new Pokemon's stats/abilities.
I think it was around two weeks before launch that Moon leaked.

edit: I have a question -- are there any viable sets that can be put on the GS Celebi? All of the sets I can find seem to require move tutor moves or old event exclusive moves.

Last edited:
In Gold/Silver, what's a good level for my sweeper to do E4 + EXP Share grinding, and where should I grind until then? (Already beat Red)

Hi, folks! I’m currently seeking help from the Smogon community. In fact, I’m trying to achieve the feat of capturing a Pokémon with Pokérus (in other words, an original Pokérus carrier) in a Ruby cartridge with DEAD BATTERY. According to the pokecrystal disassembly, Pokérus seems to be a “flag” that is activated on your Pokémon after you battle a wild one, that is not present on the wild Pokémon itself (contrarily to the popular belief), but is only “unlocked” on your Pokémon after you battle it. That means that if you are lucky enough to catch the wild Pokémon who infected your Pokémon at the end of the battle, you’ll end up having a normal Pokémon, without Pokérus, with yourself being the only person to know that it was responsible for having spread it to your party. It’s obvious that, given these conditions, my feat of capturing an original Pokérus carrier will be impossible to achieve. So, my questions to you are the following:

1) Is my feat achievable? I don’t want to lose precious time catching wild Pokémon in groups of 30 (I soft reset when I fill an entire Pokémon box because I have only 50 balls, and my RNG, being my Ruby battery run dry, is broken);

2) In general, how the Pokérus mechanics work in Gen 3 (but also in Gen 2, as it is not very clear yet)? That’s a major obscure point in the Pokémon community that I think it would be worth to research;

3) A strange situation occurred to me in Pokémon Emerald (emulator): I caught a Wurmple with Pokérus (through a Gameshark code) just to observe empirically how the mechanics work in Gen 3, then I put it second in my party behind a Mudkip (no Pokérus). I then battled a Lotad (with codes disabled, this time), which I ended up capturing. I checked my party after the battle and I discovered that Mudkip had contracted Pokérus, but not the newly captured Lotad (in third place in the party), which is weird. In fact, a Pokémon in second place in the party, either spreads the Pokérus, after a battle, to the first AND the third placed Pokémon (even if the Pokémon in third place has been caught in the battle itself), or doesn’t spread it at all, and I’m sure of this because I observed it empirically. This made me think that Mudkip could have incredibly caught the Pokérus (legitimately) from the Lotad that I had just caught.

This could mean that:

· The wild Pokémon which triggers Pokérus in your party is NOT itself a carrier, because Mudkip allegedly contracted it from Lotad, with Lotad itself not being affected;

· The Pokérus mechanics in Gen 2 and Gen 3 are different, because in Gen 2 if a Pokémon of your party already has Pokérus, it will be impossible to contract it de novo after a battle from a wild Pokémon, but it will only be spread through your party from the Pokémon that was already affected instead. This would contradict the fact that even if my Wurmple was already affected and in the party, Mudkip still managed to contract Pokérus de novo from the wild Lotad I ended up capturing;

· I oversaw something during the observation of what was happening (unlikely).

4) A noob question: I deposited in the PC my Mudkip a few minutes after it contracted Pokérus and I then saved outside the Pokémon Center. I have never withdrew it from the PC, but one evening, though, I put my Mudkip in the party to rapidly beat the game (just for fun) WITHOUT saving, and in the process I passed midnight (I spent 5 hours playing, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.). Having NOT saved the game (I reset the game a few seconds before Hall of Fame), and being thus again placed outside the Pokémon Center with Mudkip in the PC as the last time I saved the game, does it count as a day has passed for Mudkip’s Pokérus counter or not?

An answer to these 4 questions will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards and good luck enjoying Pokémon games!

Feraligatr with Surf, Slash, Bite, and Ice Punch.
First, you should replace slash with return to deal more damage to Lance's Gyarados. If the Feraligatr has perfect special attack DVs, then getting it to level 73 guarantees that it one-shots all of Lance's Dragonites with ice punch. If it doesn't have perfect DVs, then you need to level it a bit higher. If you want to one-shot Lance's Gyarados, then you need to raise your Feraligatr to at least level 95 or get a different sweeper.

What is the general success rate of the R/B/Y Cable Club cloning glitch (on Game Boy, not 3DS Virtual Console)? Can it cause erasure of save data? Assuming the user powers off the correct GB, is there any chance that the "bad" Pokémon will be cloned (and thus the "good" Pokémon erased)? I remember it taking several tries way back in the day (either the trade completed entirely or not at all; I can't remember), and I accidentally cloned the "bad" Pokémon with the X/Y version of this glitch, so I'm hesitant.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hi, folks! I’m currently seeking help from the Smogon community. In fact, I’m trying to achieve the feat of capturing a Pokémon with Pokérus (in other words, an original Pokérus carrier) in a Ruby cartridge with DEAD BATTERY. According to the pokecrystal disassembly, Pokérus seems to be a “flag” that is activated on your Pokémon after you battle a wild one, that is not present on the wild Pokémon itself (contrarily to the popular belief), but is only “unlocked” on your Pokémon after you battle it. That means that if you are lucky enough to catch the wild Pokémon who infected your Pokémon at the end of the battle, you’ll end up having a normal Pokémon, without Pokérus, with yourself being the only person to know that it was responsible for having spread it to your party. It’s obvious that, given these conditions, my feat of capturing an original Pokérus carrier will be impossible to achieve. So, my questions to you are the following:

1) Is my feat achievable? I don’t want to lose precious time catching wild Pokémon in groups of 30 (I soft reset when I fill an entire Pokémon box because I have only 50 balls, and my RNG, being my Ruby battery run dry, is broken);

2) In general, how the Pokérus mechanics work in Gen 3 (but also in Gen 2, as it is not very clear yet)? That’s a major obscure point in the Pokémon community that I think it would be worth to research;

3) A strange situation occurred to me in Pokémon Emerald (emulator): I caught a Wurmple with Pokérus (through a Gameshark code) just to observe empirically how the mechanics work in Gen 3, then I put it second in my party behind a Mudkip (no Pokérus). I then battled a Lotad (with codes disabled, this time), which I ended up capturing. I checked my party after the battle and I discovered that Mudkip had contracted Pokérus, but not the newly captured Lotad (in third place in the party), which is weird. In fact, a Pokémon in second place in the party, either spreads the Pokérus, after a battle, to the first AND the third placed Pokémon (even if the Pokémon in third place has been caught in the battle itself), or doesn’t spread it at all, and I’m sure of this because I observed it empirically. This made me think that Mudkip could have incredibly caught the Pokérus (legitimately) from the Lotad that I had just caught.

This could mean that:

· The wild Pokémon which triggers Pokérus in your party is NOT itself a carrier, because Mudkip allegedly contracted it from Lotad, with Lotad itself not being affected;

· The Pokérus mechanics in Gen 2 and Gen 3 are different, because in Gen 2 if a Pokémon of your party already has Pokérus, it will be impossible to contract it de novo after a battle from a wild Pokémon, but it will only be spread through your party from the Pokémon that was already affected instead. This would contradict the fact that even if my Wurmple was already affected and in the party, Mudkip still managed to contract Pokérus de novo from the wild Lotad I ended up capturing;

· I oversaw something during the observation of what was happening (unlikely).

4) A noob question: I deposited in the PC my Mudkip a few minutes after it contracted Pokérus and I then saved outside the Pokémon Center. I have never withdrew it from the PC, but one evening, though, I put my Mudkip in the party to rapidly beat the game (just for fun) WITHOUT saving, and in the process I passed midnight (I spent 5 hours playing, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.). Having NOT saved the game (I reset the game a few seconds before Hall of Fame), and being thus again placed outside the Pokémon Center with Mudkip in the PC as the last time I saved the game, does it count as a day has passed for Mudkip’s Pokérus counter or not?

An answer to these 4 questions will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards and good luck enjoying Pokémon games!
Moved to the general questions thread.

If I had to choose between Starmie or Flygon for climbing the Battle Tower in Emerald, which one would be better? What would be the best moveset for the one that's better? My other two Pokemon will be Heracross and Magneton, in case this affects the answer.

Starmie having higher speed, not sharing any weakness with the other 2, having supereffective stab on several things that are supereffective on the other 2, and a better ability + coverage would probably be my guess for that.

Starmie having higher speed, not sharing any weakness with the other 2, having supereffective stab on several things that are supereffective on the other 2, and a better ability + coverage would probably be my guess for that.
Are you sure this is more important than having better bulk and only two weaknesses?

Depends on how common Ice coverage is in Emerald. If ice coverage is as common as it is in gen 6/7 facilities..... throwing in Flygon will just get it deleted right after.

Though we probably need to call Smuckem here for better advice.

What's your reason to include Magneton over a strong Electric-type with a set-up move, such as Calm Mind Raikou?
I have no access to stuff like Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou. My options for electric Pokemon are pretty much limited to Magneton and Lanturn.

Looking into options for getting a second-hand copy of HGSS and found a decent French version. Did they have language options yet in European HGSS? I forget.

Looking into options for getting a second-hand copy of HGSS and found a decent French version. Did they have language options yet in European HGSS? I forget.
I'm pretty sure they didn't. At least my italian copy doesn't have any opinion to change the language.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Language options became a thing in Gen VI when they decided to release the games at the same time globally.

Now I'm wondering if, speaking strictly of the software, there's only one version of the game (whereas before each game would have different versions for each languages it was translated too).

Is there anywhere here to discuss Battle Royale? I've been enjoying it more than Battle Tree lately and wondered if there were any interesting Pokemon or strategies to try out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)