Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all,

Welcome to the new SQSA Thread! We welcome all questions now here from any game or TV series or whatever! Sun and Moon have been out for a while now and it is time that we merge the forums and continue to discuss Sun and Moon! Anyone can ask/answer questions here if you have the relevant information!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

Please try to quote the question you're referring to, especially if it was a Yes / No question. It gets confusing otherwise.

At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.

Also, if your question concerns the Battle Tree, please direct it to our Battle Tree thread which is run by NoCheese.

FAQ: Sun and Moon related questions

What Megas are available for the time being? *These are only available Post Game*
http://pastebin.com/MvcEfSRG - Currently only the following have been found:
-Alakazite
-Slowbronite
-Gengarite
-Kangaskhanite
-Pinsirite
-Gyaradosite
-Aerodactylite
-Scizorite
-Sablenite
-Sharpedonite
-Absolite
-Glalitite
-Salamencite
-Metagrosite
-Lucarionite
-Garchompite
-Kanto Starters confirmed as a Battle Tree reward (Cheers LegoFigure11 for letting me know)

Other Stones now available:

-Mawilite
-Medichamite
-Audinite
-Beedrillite
Use the code "INTIMIDATE"

-Pidgeotite
-Steelixite
-Heracronite
-Houndoomite
Use the code "AZUL"

-Banettite
-Cameruptite
-Sceptilite
-Blazikenite
-Swampertite
Use the code "MATSUBUSA"

-Aggronite
-Tyranitarite
-Manectrite
-Abomasite
Use the code "SABLEVOLANT"

-Mewtwonite (both)
Use the code "M2DESCENT"

-Galladite
-Gardevoirite
-Lopunnite
-Diancite
Use the code "POYONG"

-Altarianite
-Ampharosite
-Latiosite (not sure if you are given two or one of these, someone let me know)
Use the code "DRACHE"

This means the following cannot yet be obtained:

None! All Megastones are formally released!

What Old Pokemon have been changed?
Check out this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/old-mon-bst-ability-change-discussion.3586564/
Movepool updates here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/movepool-changes.3586517/ (May not be complete)

What Pokemon are not available in Alola?
Serebii has a list here: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/unobtainable.shtml

If you have any new questions, ask away!

Last edited:
I guess I'll start this off. I just had a shiny Pyukumuku show up on my Isle Abeens, and I can't find any methods for getting pokemon to stay anywhere. People all say things like "keep beans in your box" and "check back every couple hours", but they also say "I think" and "it doesn't always work", and even "that definitely doesn't work". Maybe someone here knows more? How do I get this fool to stay? Would suck pretty bad if the game literally just dangled a shiny in front of my face, and gave me no way of catching it!

Don't put beans in the box, it just draws in new pokemon. I heard that if you save before checking Isle Abeens again (when it should stay), you can reset if it doesn't stay.

I guess I'll start this off. I just had a shiny Pyukumuku show up on my Isle Abeens, and I can't find any methods for getting pokemon to stay anywhere. People all say things like "keep beans in your box" and "check back every couple hours", but they also say "I think" and "it doesn't always work", and even "that definitely doesn't work". Maybe someone here knows more? How do I get this fool to stay? Would suck pretty bad if the game literally just dangled a shiny in front of my face, and gave me no way of catching it!
That's pretty much exactly what the game is doing. There is no guarantee that wild Pokemon showing up in Isle Abeens will stay, and putting beans in the box just makes wild Pokemon more likely to show up, not more likely to want to stay.

You can try Mr. Querty's suggestion, though I don't know if even that will help.

Well, I can confirm that soft resetting can not change the results of a pokemon deciding to stay. There were 2 pyukumukus hanging out on my Isle Abeens, and of course the non-shiny one decided to stay. Bye shiny pyukumuku, you were my first shiny of gen7, but it was not meant to be.

Why you gotta do me like that, Game Freak?

One thing I will mention is that I've only had 2 pokemon decide to stay, and both times, it was when I was not dillligent with harvesting beans. It's possible that while keeping beans in the box is worthless, leaving beans scattered on the floor of the island may entice pokemon to stay. Unfortunately, even if that does work, it still seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. Worth testing out, if such a thing interests you.

Last edited:
Well, I can confirm that soft resetting can not change the results of a pokemon deciding to stay. There were 2 pyukumukus hanging out on my Isle Abeens, and of course the non-shiny one decided to stay. Bye shiny pyukumuku, you were my first shiny of gen7, but it was not meant to be.

Why you gotta do me like that, Game Freak?

One thing I will mention is that I've only had 2 pokemon decide to stay, and both times, it was when I was not dillligent with harvesting beans. It's possible that while keeping beans in the box is worthless, leaving beans scattered on the floor of the island may entice pokemon to stay. Unfortunately, even if that does work, it still seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. Worth testing out, if such a thing interests you.
Wow, I probably get at least 2 a week to stay, and I never fill the box. Haven't come across a shiny yet though.

Hi, I'm wondering if there's any documentation on shiny Pokemon being able to show up as opponents in the gen 4 Battle Frontier. I ask because I just encountered one, but in my 7 years of playing HG/SS and reading forums, I've never seen anyone so much as reference this being possible (aside from a few misguided topics from people who thought they found a shiny but it was just a female Hippowdon). Was this ever known before?

Hi, I'm wondering if there's any documentation on shiny Pokemon being able to show up as opponents in the gen 4 Battle Frontier. I ask because I just encountered one, but in my 7 years of playing HG/SS and reading forums, I've never seen anyone so much as reference this being possible (aside from a few misguided topics from people who thought they found a shiny but it was just a female Hippowdon). Was this ever known before?
Someone had a screenshot of a shiny Latios somewhere in the Frontier thread, but it seems to be an incredibly rare phenomenon.

Someone had a screenshot of a shiny Latios somewhere in the Frontier thread, but it seems to be an incredibly rare phenomenon.
Thank you for the tip, I found the post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ttle-tower-records.52858/page-49#post-2268744

It's crazy how ridiculously rare this must be considering how far people have gone into the facilities over the years. If anyone is interested, here is a picture of the Magcargo that I found and a quick clip showing that I was in the Battle Arcade (unfortunately I forgot that Battle Videos were a thing until I finished my streak after the 7th).

Wow, I probably get at least 2 a week to stay, and I never fill the box. Haven't come across a shiny yet though.
I haven't had the game since launch, I've only had it for about 3 weeks. Just got my 3rd one to stay, and once again, it was during a night where I hadn't visited my poke pelago for a whole day, and there were beans scattered everywhere. It could still be a coincidence, but it really does seem like they're more likely to stay if you don't collect the beans every day.

sumwun, check out the In-game tier list threads. They are listed here. If you want to post in them, make sure to find the most recent one, since we've had (and gradually abandoned) several threads per game.
Apparently there are no threads for DP ingame tiers or Pt ingame tiers.

Another question: What determines the "stats" entry in the ingame tiers? I've seen Pokemon with BSTs of 500 say "below average", while other BSTs closer to 400 are considered "average".

Last edited:
Apparently there are no threads for DP ingame tiers or Pt ingame tiers.

Another question: What determines the "stats" entry in the ingame tiers? I've seen Pokemon with BSTs of 500 say "below average", while other BSTs closer to 400 are considered "average".
Likely has to do with where those stats are distributed. Something like Wailord may have a decently high BST, but most of it is placed in HP with little in its defenses, making it a giant punching bag. And Medicham and Azumarill have terrible base Attack, but Pure Power/Huge Power makes their effective Attack stat downright terrifying. (in the latter's case, its bulk helps it considering it still has terrible Speed and so is likely to take a hit before dishing out one itself)

But probably the biggest factor is that it's up to the person writing the entry at the time to determine what they consider average, as it's not just one person writing them.

Last edited:
If it's raining at the start of the turn, and Swampert mega evolves and gets the Swift Swim ability, is his speed doubled that turn?

If it's raining at the start of the turn, and Swampert mega evolves and gets the Swift Swim ability, is his speed doubled that turn?
Any changes in speed (except mega evolution) don't take effect until the following turn. The Swampert will mega evolve before it starts raining, so swift swim won't cause Swampert to move earlier until the next turn. (but I think it still does stuff like affecting gyro ball damage)
https://pokemondb.net/pokebase/279481/what-happens-when-weather-changes-mid-turn

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe it still won't move first. Speed is calculated first, and since it hasn't mega evolved yet, Swift Swim won't kick in until it does.
There's a new mechanic in Generation 7 that causes speed changes in mega evolutions to take effect immediately. It also extends to abilities that affect turn order. I'm not sure specifically which abilities are affected, but I know that Sableye will lose its prankster immediately upon mega evolving.

Thanks guys.

Is Swampertite legal in SM yet? I know it was is being given to people who participated in International Challenge April, but couldn't find out if that means it was already distributed to people who took part or if it's still upcoming?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe it still won't move first. Speed is calculated first, and since it hasn't mega evolved yet, Swift Swim won't kick in until it does.
That's incorrect. In gen 7 Mega-Evolution kicks in before the turn order is calculated, therefore if it's raining and Swampert mega-evolves its Swift Swim ability will be activated.

Thanks guys.

Is Swampertite legal in SM yet? I know it was is being given to people who participated in International Challenge April, but couldn't find out if that means it was already distributed to people who took part or if it's still upcoming?
The Hoenn starter Mega Stones have undoubtedly been released to the participants of the International Challenge April by now, and next month everyone else will likely be able to obtain them via shared serial code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)