Open House

Approved by The Immortal and scpinion

The Trick Master has built a new house for Pokemon to battle in! Each room has gimmicks similar to that of Pokemon moves, and battlers swap rooms every 5 turns!
Rules and clauses:
- OU bans and clauses
- The moves Trick Room, Wonder Room, and Magic Room will revert the battle to "normal" mechanics for the rest of the 5-turn cycle, if their corresponding room is currently in effect.
- Every 5 turns, a new "room" is set up, and the previous "room" is removed. The new room will not be the same as the previous one. The order of the rooms are randomly decided, but are broadcasted the turn before a change of rooms. Additionally, the first room of the battle will be announced at Team Preview.
Turn 4

Starting next turn, the battle will take place in the Wonder Room!
Turn 5

Magic Room wore off, and held items' effects returned to normal!
Wonder Room started!
It created a bizarre area in which the Defense and Special Defense stats are switched!
Turn 6

This cycle of rooms turns most battling strategies on their head. Eviolite users are crippled for a third of the game, slow mons become nearly unstoppable for 5 turns, and defensive stats are scrambled at times. Teams may be built to take advantage of specific rooms, while others may try to simply cope with the rooms and adapt their battle plan to them. Even Choiced sweepers with set-up moves are viable to abuse the item with their extra boosts!

Good luck, and may the tricks favor you!

Replays:
None lol this hasn't been coded yet

Servers this OM is playable on:
None lol this hasn't been coded yet

Last edited:
This is quirky. I like metas with random elements because they compensate for my lack of skill.

I can see slow Megas like Camerupt doing well here. 1/3 of the time, they'll be really fast, and the other 2/3 of the time, they don't really care what happens except for some stat switching shenanigans screwing them over. Acrobatics Talonflame also sounds solid: almost always goes first, even in Trick Room, and obviously doesn't rely on its item. Choice users are also potentially interesting: some games you actually prefer the loss of power to being locked into moves, so you can take advantage of Magic Room turns to switch it up.

lost heros

Meme Master
This is a really weird meta because thing simultaneously buffed and nerfed at the same time. Look at Chansey, 1/3 a time it's a fast special wall, 1/3 of the time it's a slow defensive wall, 1/3 time it's a worse Blissey. I feel like the best pokemons will be the ones that are above average in two of three rooms and doesn't change much in the third one.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I have a feeling Stall is going to be very good in this tier, while Priority will be everywhere. Another threat will most likely be hazard stacking, because from the description, this seems like a meta that will have a lot of switching occurring. I really can't see HO working all that well, if at all since the rooms basically completely dismantle any advantages such team-builds could have over the opposition.

I can already see how good defensive Pokemon with equal Defenses will be, like (Mega) Audino and Mega Sableye. Fast in Trick Room, don't care about items, and don't care that much about getting their defenses swapped.

Also, Water Spout Octillery, Exploud and Trapinch look really nice, being powerful and slow....
Wait, this is an OU based meta where Octillery and Trapinch might be good :o

Assault Vest Slowbro looks pretty fun to use as it can adapt to any of the three rooms.

(ignore EVs)
Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast

Trick Room — makes you an extremely fast and bulky attacker
Magic Room — gives you access to Slack Off
Wonder Room — makes you a specially defensive behemoth

Slowbro can afford to lose Slack Off 1/3 of the time because of its ability, and doesn't need much more than its STAB moves to function as an attacker.

Slowking can do it too, albeit a lot weirder.

- The moves Trick Room, Wonder Room, and Magic Room will revert the battle to "normal" mechanics for the rest of the 5-turn cycle, if their corresponding room is currently in effect.
Does this also apply the other way round? E. g. if I use Trick Room on the 4th turn of Magic/Wonder Room when the next announced room happens to be Trick Room, will the Magic/Wonder Room be followed by 5 turns of "normal room"?

Does this also apply the other way round? E. g. if I use Trick Room on the 4th turn of Magic/Wonder Room when the next announced room happens to be Trick Room, will the Magic/Wonder Room be followed by 5 turns of "normal room"?
Yes. And different rooms will not overwrite each other, e.g. it's possible for Trick Room and Wonder Room to be in effect simultaneously.

I can see Psyshock being useful for Wonder room. Slowbro and Magnezone would be good here (Volt Switch on the latter).

Sounds like a really wacky metagame. Me gusta!

However, you know what would be even wackier? Random rooms plus random terrains. That would create so many funny combinations.

Anyway, I think that slow mixed walls may have a relatively easy time in this metagame, even though losing Leftovers for five turns isn't exactly appreciated. Priority-less speedy attackers, however, may have a hard time here, since they will lose some raw power while under the MR influence or they will be sitting ducks under TR.

Regardless, if there is some Pokémon that I think can have some potential in this metagame, it's Ferrothorn: it can enjoy from some passive recovery in the form of Leech Seed during the MR phase, while becoming a speed demon under Trick Room and barely caring about the defenses swap during WR.

Talonflame should still be pretty good in this because it can opt not to use items for Acrobatics and Trick Room does not apply to priority, although slower priority users may be able to get the drop on Talonflame like Azumarill. The most significant change will probably be Wonder Room on it's specially defensive set.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I had a question, should the next room begin at the very start of the turn or at the end of the turn?
It would start at the beginning of the next turn, or else the 5 turns for a room would actually be cut down to 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)