Walrus NWA: No Weebs Allowed Walrus

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Changes to the curve formula for actual points calculation that I think better reflects how I feel about a song by making it comparable to how someone else might score using my scorings. I felt the bump was too high in the other curve.

• SQRT((SCORE - 1) / 10) * 10.5409255333. If your score is within a 0-1, you are earning negative points equivalent to -1 * the score you could have earned. Don't worry, I will reserve this for the most questionable pieces that one might call music.
  • [1, 2.5) will be ranging from 0 to 4, [2.5, 4) will be ranging from 4 to 5.77, [4, 4.7] will be ranging from 5.77 to 6.4, [4.7, 5.5] will be ranging from 6.4 to 7.07. [5.5, 7] will range from 7.07 to about an 8.16. [7, 8] will be about 8.16 to 8.81, [8, 9] will be about [8.81, 9.4] and [9, 10] will be 9.4 -> 9.999999999.

10.54 comes from converting to 10-based score, getting rid of the actual max-score if score was a 10, and just doing a conversion from the max of that scale to a 10.0. so 100 / 9.whatever is that 10.54 value.

Changes to the curve formula for actual points calculation that I think better reflects how I feel about a song by making it comparable to how someone else might score using my scorings. I felt the bump was too high in the other curve.

• SQRT((SCORE - 1) / 10) * 10.5409255333. If your score is within a 0-1, you are earning negative points equivalent to -1 * the score you could have earned. Don't worry, I will reserve this for the most questionable pieces that one might call music.
  • [1, 2.5) will be ranging from 0 to 4, [2.5, 4) will be ranging from 4 to 5.77, [4, 4.7] will be ranging from 5.77 to 6.4, [4.7, 5.5] will be ranging from 6.4 to 7.07. [5.5, 7] will range from 7.07 to about an 8.16. [7, 8] will be about 8.16 to 8.81, [8, 9] will be about [8.81, 9.4] and [9, 10] will be 9.4 -> 9.999999999.
10.54 comes from converting to 10-based score, getting rid of the actual max-score if score was a 10, and just doing a conversion from the max of that scale to a 10.0. so 100 / 9.whatever is that 10.54 value.
Yo when your scoring system is more mathematical and convoluted than something I would come up with, you should take a look at your life and the choices that brought you here.

idk it kinda makes sense to me. (((X-1)Base10)^(1/2))Base1 to try and allow for greater diversity in good scores. if you do better you get better, and it shows.

but then again i failed programming and calculus, so who am i to say math makes sense

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
I'm making a change to Category 4: Get Schwifty. expanding the scope of types of music to be just whatever you'd play at a party or festive occasion, leaving the kind of party open-ended so that includes house parties, bachelor(ette) parties, beach parties, wine parties, grown-up-in-your-30s parties, fancy parties, birthday parties (pls no kiddie birthday parties), holiday parties, weddings, etc. just make sure to specify what type of party you would play your submission for. If you shitpost for this category, pick a party context for me to judge it off of. Anything submitted for this category previous to this change is still fine, the criteria is just now how much I would dig it for the occasion.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
current signup list not counting oddish yet. also mael + lemonade have submitted for some categories but not all of them.

4gb
Analytic
Asek
atomicllamas
blarghlfarghl - waiting for sub
Blazade
Cancerous
cutie-patrol (einto on SF)
CZ
Da Letter El
Eagle4
Earlio
Eden's Embrace
FrozenCold
GatoDelFuego
Granny Pie
HT
jalmont
Jellicent
KnightsofCydonia
Lemonade
LightWolf
Lil Bean (SF)
Lord Gaius
Mael
Martin
Myzozoa
P2X7
Pidge
Rare Poison
RODAN
sam-testings
shubaka17
TraceOfLife
vonFiedler
Walrein
Yeti
Zeonth (SF)
zorbees

Still leaving signups open, just get cat 1 to me ASAP before Saturday!

Discord server link: https://discordapp.com/invite/3xm57X6 - if you haven't joined already and want to listen in, feel free!

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Since this situation has arrived, I am going to make scoring clear for two scenarios:

A: Same song submitted by multiple people for the same category- No penalty will be applied. Song will be judged as-is for that category and all people that submitted it get the same score.

B: Same song submitted by multiple people for different categories - Depending on the category, songs may be judged differently. Ex: Cat 1 is upbeat. I will likely be factoring in upbeat the song is in my score but pre/before 2000 has no judging criteria like that.

If you are changing your song submission for a later category, I ask you not to choose to change it to something that was revealed already. You certainly could but if I know you changed it after the reveal was posted, it likely won't score as well as the people that selected it before submitting.

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music

Andy Snype

Mr. Music

In 1st with 7.72

Guns And Roses

FrozenCold

snazzy and maintains upbeatness. first time i'm hearing it. cue ash-greninjas.

In 2nd with 7.54 points

Well Run Dry - Phat Phunktion

CZ

i just realized i never did an actual writeup, but man this is the quintessential song to just jam out when i'm in my 50s with my dadband, but actually, this song is awesome. it sounds really cohesive despite its distinctness.

In 3rd with 7.42 points

Cops And Robbers - The Hoosiers

Cancerous

MMMM instantly gets right into it. this sounds like something teenage snype would groove to and 20 yo workin snype appreciates the theme of urgency that the song portrays and it's maintained by the tempo, fitting the cat.
In 4th with 7.32 points

Lisztomania - Phoenix

Asek

I really really like this song. Also known this one for a few years but not spammed as often as Uptown Funk. The upbeat and ideal feelings are conveyed pretty well.

In 5th with 7.1 points

Another Day Of Sun - La La Land

Eagle4

I love the melody and tempo. Singing keeps me wanting to dance. The portion of the musical part where everybody sings noticably brings the song down is not a decision I would agree with but I think that the instrumental accompaniment is actually quite strong for it.

In 6th with 7.04 points

On Our Way - The Royal Concept

TraceofLife

V solid, normie, catchy, and had me up until the 'we're young' part. The whistling adds nicely and I like the song's lack of wasting time but still giving the portions its due respect. as far as why this passes the 7 threshold i give it the edge because it's not exactly like the other songs of this genre. there's something to it.
In 7th with 6.86 points

Love In The Middle of a Firefight - Dillon Francis (ft. Brendon Urie)
jalmont

holy fuck this has the elements that just appeal to college snype directly. the background, vocals, beat, all simple just make something that go well together. it doesn't break past 7 well though, it's pretty much the same. if i didn't know better, i'd say this is a pander attempt but idrc.

In 8th with 6.77 Points

Roundabout - Yes
Lord Gaius

you know the only time i've ever heard this before is on like trolden clips with the 'to be continued' which i guess is from jojo, which i havent seen. it's a nice multifaceted song that i guess could be on a gotg soundtrack or something.

There's definitely a story the song's saying, but I can't put my finger on it too well. Still like it though.

In 9th with 6.63 Points

X Offender - Blondie
Myzozoa

I really like the beginning. Not sure about the change at around 1:30. The interruption in the rest of the song from that point is forgiven with the rest of the song. oh man the background ooos just send me the right feels down my spine to enjoy this.

In 10th with 6.45 points

Talk Too Much - COIN

Earlio

Yea this is more along the lines of what I would expect for this category. Never heard this before. Catchy and definitely a song for the summer. Not sure about the background guitar before the final chorus, but overall I like it.

In 11th with 6.42

Lifted Up (1985) - Passion Pit
Analytic

1985 was a good year, but I wasn't alive for it. shame i guess all i have to go off of is that lyric. I like this song because it does a good job at keeping the background light and it still feels like a nice song without hearing much hard (for lack of better word) to it and the feel of the song doesn't sound awkwardly transitioned.

In 12th with a tie at 6.34 points

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (ft. Bruno Mars)
KnightsofCydonia & Eden's Embrace

This would score higher if I hadn't listened to this nonstop while in college. Ronson's instrumentals really define the song. Bruno, who don't get me wrong, provides good vocals, I feel that there are points in the song that I have trouble distinguishing what Bruno's singing from the instrumentals and this is the main thing that stops this song from reaching 7 status. That being said, it's a fantastic song with a nice groove to it, not that old. Solid choice Knights and Sunny

In 14th with 6.18

Up Up And Away - Kid Cudi
HT

really catchy. digging the instrumentals. only thing i don't like about the song is that during the chorus and the blend, it just feels like cudi should be singing and his pitch just never changes throughout the song. other than that, nice pick HT

In 15th with 6.04

It's the End of the World - R.E.M.
Pidge

I like it, felt off to hear right before the first chorus. Good tempo and good maintenance. ending feels a tad droney though. that being said, most of the song conveys a feeling that just sticks and is good at that.

In 16th with 5.97

Undecided - Ella Fitzgerald
4gb

oh this is quite nice. digging the horns. vocalist feels a bit missing the mark for a little bit in the song but then the drums pick up. overall a nice pick and the quality of the audio seems like it doesn't convey it but hey i guess that's good for something 80 years old.

In 17th with 5.94

99 LuftBalloons - Nena
sam-testings

this is the first time i'm hearing the song in what i presume to be its entirety. honestly this really sounds like it was made for its generation but it ain't on the upper 50% of what i like.

In 18th with 5.8 points

Hate My Life - Theory of a Deadman (SHITPOST)shubaka17

I am old enough to appreciate this song but am nowhere near disgruntled enough in life to actually be immersed fully in it lol. I know plenty of others that love this though and think of them when hearing this and I can't help but chuckle at that

In 19th with 5.7 points

I Hope You Die - Bloodhound Gang (SHITPOST)atomicllamas

In 20th with 5.62 Points

Junk of the Heart - The Kooks
cutie-patrol

I like this indie vibe to it. the guitar backing is nice to it. the song is kinda one dimensional and i think on its own, it doesn't stick out v well but it's nice enough to get this rating

In 21st with 5.58

Together - Demi Lovato (ft. Jason DeRulo)
zorbees

It's slower than what I expected for the cat but still soundin happy. It sounds straightforward but I ain't hatin on it. Can feel flat at times, but I think this is a fair score for it.

In 22nd with 5.21

I Won't Let You Down - Ok Go

GatoDelFuego
this is not unpleasant to listen. wtf is this music video? (snype comment post-reveal: this is for the beginning, amazing choreography for one take though) most of the song is just those lyrics though. that being said, on second listen, this is catchier than i first felt.

In 23rd with 5.06

Money's Too Tight (to Mention) - Simply Red

Bluedoom

i'm pretty neutral towards this singer, the synth is basically the same 4 notes. It's certainly upbeat but I'm relatively neutral / slightly liking this song. I ain't a fan of this particular repeating part the singer repeats but the song overall is still a bit catchy
In 24th with a 5

Last Christmas - Wham!

P2X7

Full disclosure, I started listening to this when I woke up, so I think it sounds really nice and dreamy. Also in luck because Christmas is probably my favorite holiday.

It's pleasant, but that's about it. Not much else for it, gets a solid 5.00

In 25th with 4.97

Shandi - Kiss

vonFiedler

prefacing this with von has submitted kiss and i've never heard any of their songs.

Bit slower than I would like but damn I dig the vocals. It's a bit too love-song-depressingy during the chorus, but I do not dislike it. that being said, there are multiple portions that really question how well it fits the cat throughout the song but overall it maintains the happy sounds.

In 26th with 4.93

Ready To Die - Andrew W.K.

Granny Pie

this woulda scored better if it were shitposted. i laughed as soon as i heard the guy sing and even more at the chorus. good sub if the chorus wasn't the only thing goin for the song.

In 27th with 4.86

Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan ending

Zeonth

catchy and upbeat. slightly addicting. nice instrumentals. v short. wish this was longer for me to judge better.

In 28th with 4.82

Into The Storm - Gamma Ray

Blazade

teen snype loves this, but this walrus is snype in his 20s. tempo starts good, the guitar and post-guitar singing is what really carries the song, but i still can't help feeling neutral about the song overall. so here's a neutral rating. shame too since youtube autopalyed master of confusion right after and i like that more.

In 29th with 4.78

Jackson's Last Stand - Ou Est Le Swimming Pool

RODAN

Gets right into it. Consistent tempo. Fairly Simple. I feel actually really neutral about this song. I don't dislike it nor do I like it. It's not doing much in terms of catchiness, it's too plain for me overall even with the slides.

In 30th with 4.41

Check Check One Two! - Matsushita

Lil Bean

energy carries well and vocals don't want to make me puke. I don't understand a single word of this but I don't like the part where it gets softer. Go ham or go home with this.

In 31st with 4.41

Still Alive - Portal 2

LightWolf

a soft one for sure. pretty gentle. this is definitely the better credit-roll song of the series. this basically has nostalgia for me though.

In 32nd with 4.36

I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here - Annie OST

Yeti

giving this some leeway since it's a musical and directly from film i think but p much the whole song is yes yes i think im gonna like it here and it ain't enough to carry the song much. i like the part after the 2nd chorus though since it's different but not much identity to this.

In 33rd with 4.32

Feel Your Love - Le Youth (ft. Javeon)

Da Letter El

the background's a letdown. the beginning is good, but during the chorus, it just really falters. the vocals are something i would take and apply to another song however.

In 34th with 3.94 points

Mama Told Me - The Main Squeeze

Walrein

not too much of a fan of the beginning with the abrupt funk. love the chorus. the second verse is better. yeah the main thing is just that the background individually just feels really choppy. nice guitar solo though. the mama told me part is nice though. i ain't feelin the drum solo though. I'm sure it's definitely great to the person that feels an affinity for this song for whatever reason but I just am not feeling this song too well even though individually, they would pander okay.
In 35th with 3.61 points

Homemade Dynamite - Lorde

Rare Poison

Not quite what I'd call upbeat but it's got a tempo to it after the first verse. The instrumentals in the chorus provide a unique backing to it that I don't dislike but I'm not a particular fan of. After the chorus following the second chorus, the transition seemed middling. The penultimate portion is actually pretty strong and would likely carry more weight to it if the earlier of the song was strong enough as it's definitely something to carry the feeling over and the ending sounds good, but man it just feels like the first half didn't hold itself well enough to be good.
In 36th with 3.4 points

Tally Ho - The Clean

Jellicent

i like the intro and the vocals seem to match the oldiness but when he 'sings' tally ho, it doesn't carry to me that well. not too much of a fan of the middle part when everything goes a half step lower, including the vocals. Singer's vocals aren't on par with the rest of the song. Shame too since there was potential at the beginning for it, but it wasn't executed v well.

In 37th with 1.4 Points:
Koko - Yiri

Martin

sounds awkward at first, then the drums drop. It sounds normal-ish ~ 1:58? oh i guess there is a story to be told here, but after just watching atla, this does not hold up v well. yeah sorry martin i'm not enthused by this for upbeat.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)