Numel

Name:
Numel
Type: Fire / Ground
Abilities: Oblivious: The Pokemon cannot be attracted.
Simple: All stat modifications are doubled.
Dream World: Own Tempo: The Pokemon cannot be confused.
Stats:
HP:60 (21 - 25)
Att:60(9 - 16)
Def:40 (8 - 14)
SpA:65 (9 - 17)
SpD:45 (8 - 15)
Spe:35 (7 - 14)

Code:
Level Up Moves
1. Tackle
1. Tackle
5. Ember
11. Magnitude
15. Focus energy
21. Bursting Flame
25. Take Down
31. Amnesia
35. Lava Plume
41. Earth Power
45: Earthquake
51: Flamethrower
55: Double Edge
Code:
TM/HMs
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM17: Protect
TM21: Frustration
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return
TM29: Dig
TM32: Double Team
TM35: Flamethrower
TM37: Sandstorm
TM38: Fire Blast
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM42: Facade
TM43: Nitro Charge
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Sing A Round
TM49: Echo Voice
TM50: Overheat
TM59: Incinerate
TM61: Will-o-wisp
TM78: Level Ground
TM80: Rock Slide
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute
TM94: Rock Smash
HM04: Strength
Code:
Egg Moves
Cut
Howl
Scary Face
Body Slam
Rollout
Defense Curl
Stomp
Yawn
Ancientpower
Mud Bomb
Heat Wave
Stockpile
Swallow 
Spit Up
Endure
Iron Head
Hmmm, funny looking little camel he is. He never was a big contender in LC back in the day, due to a rather sub par stat arrangement, and not exactly the best typing (4X weak to aqua jet? No thank you). However there is one thing rather interesting about Numel, and that is the ability Simple. With simple, Numel can boost various stats to make himself a formidable sweeper or a possible tank. So lets take a look at a few sets.

Burn some Rubber:
Numel @ Life Orb / Oran Berry
36HP / 196 Att / 236 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
Simple

Nitro Charge
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Howl / Fire Blast / Overheat

Well lets see exactly how this works. Numel has rather decent offenses but rather pitiful speed. A combination of simple and nitro charge fixes that, allowing numel to get a plus 2 boost to his speed. Jolly is preferred as you reach 28 speed after a charge, but Adamant can help, especially if your running howl as well. Earthquake is there for the sheer power of it all, being Numels best physical attack, it will hurt anything not floating or resisting it. And of course rock slide finishes if off with coverage.

The last slot is filler for the most part but can work in certain situations. Howl acts like a swords dance, so if your facing an already slow opponent it may be preferable to go for high attack rather than speed. Fire blast on the other hand, is actually Numels strongest attack even with little investment into SpA. If running fire blast, use a hasty nature and turn those HP evs into SpA. Overheat is an option too, though -4 SpA is a downer. Still, you won't be staying in 2 long, so overheat can be considered as well.

I can be a utility too!
Numel @ Oran Berry / Pre Evolution Stone / Balloon
196 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 76SpD
Bold / Modest
Simple

Stockpile / Amnesia
Stealth Rock / Defense Curl
Lava Plume
Yawn / Earth Power

Ya ya I know, stalling with numel, what a gimmick, but hey its an option. As of right now, I'm not entirely certain if simple affects the boosts provided by stockpile, I think it does but I'm not certain so thats why I added amnesia and defense curl as an option. So anyways, while numels defenses are kinda shitty, he has the option to boost them extremely quickly, allowing him to somewhat tank. The moves are pretty self explanatory, bulk up your defenses in some way, set up rocks if it benefits your team. Lava plume can get that burn to help you tank even more. Yawn works well with stealth rocks as it may force some switches, and earth power provides coverage against things with flash fire.

Mix It Up a Bit!
Numel @ Life Orb
236 Spe / 160 SpA / 116 Att
Hasty / Naive
Simple

Nitro Charge
Earth Power
Fire Blast
Rock Slide / HP Electric / Ancient Power

Well a mixed version of nitro charge can be solid as well. Through this, Numel can be somewhat of a wall breaker, destroying a couple pokemon it couldn't normally, most notably, water types. The first 3 slots are pretty self explanitory, but the last slot can be a bit tricky. Rock slide hits certain flyers, such as mantyke or aaken harder than your other moves, but leaves you more vulnerable to things like slowpoke. HP electric still hammers mantyke, and a lot of other waters for that matter, but forces you to cut your attack stat so that your speed can remain at 14 (miss out on 14 attack by 2 EVs with HP electric). Ancient power isn't really worth using, but I'm gonna mention it anyways, as the possibility of boosting all your stats by +2 is a rather exciting to think about. Rock slide is still probably the best option, as most of the priemere water types of LC, aside from mantyke, are hit hard enough by earth power. It should be noted that this numel especially enjoys sunny day support, as it needs all the power it can get off of 14 Att and 15 SpA. It also has a nice synergy with many of the chlorophyll users, taking out those pesky steels that wall most of them. As an added bonus, the grass types can then counter the waters that destroy numel.

So hows numel overall? Well... simple is a great ability, but his stats really do hurt him alot, and his typing while offensivly strong, is rather poor defensivly. A 4X water weakness is not nice where rain dance runs amok, and most swift swim abusers will out speed numel even after a boost, so it may be a good idea to pair this guy off with hippopotas or a sunny day team.

As for counters, well any special sets are easily walled by munchlax, with his resistance to fire and massive defenses. The nitro boosting set has good coverage but his attack is rather poor without a howl to boost it, so it can be easily beaten by something with a decent defense and powerful attack. Priority ruins numels fun, being destroyed by aqua jet, and not really liking any of the others aside from resisting the odd bullet punch.

So that's numel, gimmie your thoughts one what numel does right and wrong. This is numels LC discussion.

Er, okay...

Well, many gut-wrenching (for me) grammar/spelling mistakes aside, yeah, sounds pretty good. I'd been trying to find some usefulness for Numel last-gen to little avail, and Simple Nitro Charge definitely helps him out.

...uh... gotta point out though that Rock Polish is not anywhere in his movepool. :0 If it was, he'd have gotten it last-gen and he wouldn't have been considered as useless. Please remove that RP set. (An alternative is a Special Nitro Charge set, though, with the same moves as the RP set only with Nitro Charge instead of RP.)

The Utility set, I have my doubts about... but hey, until it's tested, I'll give it a chance. As of right now, though, I think Nitro Charge is gonna be Numel's best (possibly only) set in LC.

Er, okay...

Well, many gut-wrenching (for me) grammar/spelling mistakes aside, yeah, sounds pretty good. I'd been trying to find some usefulness for Numel last-gen to little avail, and Simple Nitro Charge definitely helps him out.

...uh... gotta point out though that Rock Polish is not anywhere in his movepool. :0 If it was, he'd have gotten it last-gen and he wouldn't have been considered as useless. Please remove that RP set. (An alternative is a Special Nitro Charge set, though, with the same moves as the RP set only with Nitro Charge instead of RP.)

The Utility set, I have my doubts about... but hey, until it's tested, I'll give it a chance. As of right now, though, I think Nitro Charge is gonna be Numel's best (possibly only) set in LC.
Sorry my bad about that >.>, I just kinda assumed that since camerupt could learn it, then numel could learn it. Silly mistake on my part and thanks for pointing it out

Sorry my bad about that >.>, I just kinda assumed that since camerupt could learn it, then numel could learn it. Silly mistake on my part and thanks for pointing it out
Oh, Beldum / Magikarp / every caterpillar not from the 5th Gen only wishes.

No problem, and give some thought to the possibility of a Special Nitro Charge set that mimicked the Rock Polish set. (Nitro Charge - Fire Blast - Earth Power - filler)
Actually, with his offenses, Numel could potentially go Mixed too. Give him some Attack EVs for Nitro Charge, and throw in Rock Slide to deal with Mantyke (hits harder than Ancientpower would with its low Base power and Mantyke's absurd Sp. Def)

Didn't know numel had simple. Unlike bibarel, it can utilize it very efficiently. Nitro charge + simple is a very potent combination.

Being able to halve all incoming damage in one turn (simple stockpile) is quite amazing, so I wouldn't say the utility set is useless. Pretty sure it works, as stockpile IS a stat boost.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nitro Charge/Fire Blast/Earth Power/AncientPower is really good. Excellent coverage, and APower can provide a decent chance of boosting your stats.

Unfortunately, this guy doesn't get RP> WOuld be soooooooooooooooo good if he did, hitting like 36 or 39 speed.

You kinda need to run Fire Blast or else Bronzor shits all over you without any resistance. It's nice that Numel finally got a decent boosting move to abuse Simple and its great offensive typing/stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)