Resource NU Teambuilding Lab V3 [open 25 hours a day]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSwordYT

Mr. Superior thinking
is a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello, i would like you to build an Zangoose around team,I know that in the archive is a Zangoose based Team. But i want the team Based in a Zangoose+VolTTurn core, with Scyther, and maybe Lanturn or Manectric, i´ll let you to choice. Also i would like to have Spikes+SR stack, so i could appreciate better the power of zangoose wallbreaking. And i guess that it´s better if it is a balanced Team. I´ve tried to build something with this core, but didn´t give me good results. I´ll be very Thankful for making me a Team :D

Here are the sets, very standard, i know >_>

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gastrodon + Pyroar + Piloswine
Requested by TheGooeyGastrodon
Built by Shadowtags

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Shiftry @ Black Glasses
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 160 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Grumpig @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Here's a balance team I made with the core you requested. Pretty simple stuff overall, Piloswine and Gastrodon make a good start to a defensive core while Pyroar is an easy special attacker to use, and the rest of the team is just what i would consider the most consistent way to support the three mon core. So the first part of the team is the core you posted with a few minor adjustments on my part. Clear Smog > Toxic was the first change I made since it helped patch up a weakness that i'll address later in this post. Clear Smog is also just a more consistent move and Toxic doesn't do a whole lot for this team in particular. My second change was Taunt > wisp on Pyroar since the end result ended up having plenty of ways to get burns off through Gastrodon's Scald and Wisp from Weezing. Dual Taunt users is a bit better on this team just to help with the match up versus fatter squads. The first Pokemon I decided to use with your core was defog Shiftry. It gives the team a way to remove hazards and pressure water types that love to switch in on Pyroar. The extra Priority from sucker punch is also nice to deal with faster threats that can outspeed pyroar like Floatzel. Next I opted to run Weezing since I was looking very fighting weak at this point and I wanted another Normal type check so that Piloswine isn't overwhelmed trying to check too many things. Weezing also handles audino pretty well, making cleaning with Shiftry a bit easier. Finally I wanted another fighting check as well as something that can handle Fire types semi reliably so I opted to finish the team off with Grumpig. The Calm mind set seemed to fit the best since it also gave the team a bulky set up mon that can break teams early/midgame for Pyroar/Shiftry. The choice of item on Grumpig is up to you, I think Leftovers is a bit more useful overall, but being able to sponge a rouge knock off might be useful in some situations. As far as weaknesses go, Scyther is pretty annoying if you let it u-turn all over you. If you prioritize setting rocks with Piloswine in games with Scyther you should be alright. This is also where Clear smog on Gastrodon will come in handy since it gives the team a way to handle SD variants of Scyther rather reliably. Skuntank, especially the pursuit variants can also be annoying to play around since it can give Shiftry and Grumpig a hard time. Again the strategy with Skuntank is just to play aggressively with Piloswine so Skunk doesn't have much breathing room and can't pull any pursuit shenanigans. Aside from that the team should be good to go so hope you enjoy!

Gastrodon + Pyroar + Piloswine
Requested by TheGooeyGastrodon
Built by Shadowtags

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Shiftry @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 160 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Grumpig @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam

Here's a balance team I made with the core you requested. Pretty simple stuff overall, Piloswine and Gastrodon make a good start to a defensive core while Pyroar is an easy special attacker to use, and the rest of the team is just what i would consider the most consistent way to support the three mon core. So the first part of the team is the core you posted with a few minor adjustments on my part. Clear Smog > Toxic was the first change I made since it helped patch up a weakness that i'll address later in this post. Clear Smog is also just a more consistent move and Toxic doesn't do a whole lot for this team in particular. My second change was Taunt > wisp on Pyroar since the end result ended up having plenty of ways to get burns off through Gastrodon's Scald and Wisp from Weezing. Dual Taunt users is a bit better on this team just to help with the match up versus fatter squads. The first Pokemon I decided to use with your core was defog Shiftry. It gives the team a way to remove hazards and pressure water types that love to switch in on Pyroar. The extra Priority from sucker punch is also nice to deal with faster threats that can outspeed pyroar like Floatzel. Next I opted to run Weezing since I was looking very fighting weak at this point and I wanted another Normal type check so that Piloswine isn't overwhelmed trying to check too many things. Weezing also handles audino pretty well, making cleaning with Shiftry a bit easier. Finally I wanted another fighting check as well as something that can handle Fire types semi reliably so I opted to finish the team off with Grumpig. The Calm mind set seemed to fit the best since it also gave the team a bulky set up mon that can break teams early/midgame for Pyroar/Shiftry. The choice of item on Grumpig is up to you, I think Leftovers is a bit more useful overall, but being able to sponge a rouge knock off might be useful in some situations. As far as weaknesses go, Scyther is pretty annoying if you let it u-turn all over you. If you prioritize setting rocks with Piloswine in games with Scyther you should be alright. This is also where Clear smog on Gastrodon will come in handy since it gives the team a way to handle SD variants of Scyther rather reliably. Skuntank, especially the pursuit variants can also be annoying to play around since it can give Shiftry and Grumpig a hard time. Again the strategy with Skuntank is just to play aggressively with Piloswine so Skunk doesn't have much breathing room and can't pull any pursuit shenanigans. Aside from that the team should be good to go so hope you enjoy!
Thankyou so much, the team looks great! I'll start testing it out now!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Aurorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Facade

I think I remember this being a thing in XY (I didn't play much but I remember seeing it in C&C as well as it getting some attention in the NU room on PS!) and kinda want to see it built around due to it's insane damage output (Return 2HKOs Weezing .-.), but I currently lack the meta knowledge to know the best way of going about it. Feel free to mess around with the moveset as you see fit, although you'll probably end up with the listed one anyway. Thanks in advance!

I would like a Xatu focused team with a fun pursuit dark type like maybe liepard or whatever you think. Xatu seems like such a beast and I always have trouble when facing it, but I struggle to play well with it.

I'd appreciate it! This thread is one of the coolest on the forum.

Thank you.

idk if I'm allowed to make another request but w/e

Kangaskhan @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch/Hammer Arm
- Earthquake/Aqua Tail

ngl I used to use this set a lot. double-edge does insane things like 2HKO weezing and really dent rhydon w/ cb hammer arm/aqua tail. It's not complete rocks fodder for steelix and klinklang is poteentially 2HKO'd w/ a bit of chip.

Enjoy!

Rapture

I got so much time today
yung workhorse coming thru

CB Aurorus
Requested by Martin.
Built by me

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Spore

Aurorus @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Frustration

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hi, Aurorus is lowkey bad so I made it fun by building webs offense for the first time. pretty brainless for the most part, Smeragle is pretty cool because it almost always manages to get up hazards and can pivot out of bad situations easily. It's a standard set overall and your lead in the majority of the games. Banded Aurorus is an interesting set since it can catch the things that check the specs variant off guard pretty well. Stuck to the set you posted since their isn't much else aurorus can really run on a physical set. Next I used a volt-turn core of Scyther + Rotom since the two pair well with each other and give the team at least some kind of defensive backbone. Hitmonchan is the team's way of removing hazards and helps keep with the offensive nature of the team. I wanted to run Stone edge > Ice punch just so that the team has another way to lure hazard removers. Finally Lilligant functions as a cleaner and a decent water check. A few things the team can be weak to is flying mons that aren't affected by sticky webs so pokemon like Archeops, Charizard and opposing Scyther. Luckily, rocks do a good job of keeping them in check so as long as you keep offensive pressure and don't let your opponent remove hazards you should be alright. Hope you enjoy!

Edit: swapped out lilligant for specs lanturn to handle fire types better.

Also I'm looking for one or two people to join the Teambuilding Lab. Follow the rules here to apply.

Last edited:
yung workhorse coming thru

CB Aurorus
Requested by Martin.
Built by me

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Spore

Aurorus @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Frustration

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Lilligant (F) @ Yache Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Hi, Aurorus is lowkey bad so I made it fun by building webs offense for the first time. pretty brainless for the most part, Smeragle is pretty cool because it almost always manages to get up hazards and can pivot out of bad situations easily. It's a standard set overall and your lead in the majority of the games. Banded Aurorus is an interesting set since it can catch the things that check the specs variant off guard pretty well. Stuck to the set you posted since their isn't much else aurorus can really run on a physical set. Next I used a volt-turn core of Scyther + Rotom since the two pair well with each other and give the team at least some kind of defensive backbone. Hitmonchan is the team's way of removing hazards and helps keep with the offensive nature of the team. I wanted to run Stone edge > Ice punch just so that the team has another way to lure hazard removers. Finally Lilligant functions as a cleaner and a decent water check. A few things the team can be weak to is flying mons that aren't affected by sticky webs so pokemon like Archeops, Charizard and opposing Scyther. Luckily, rocks do a good job of keeping them in check so as long as you keep offensive pressure and don't let your opponent remove hazards you should be alright. Hope you enjoy!

Also I'm looking for one or two people to join the Teambuilding Lab. Follow the rules here to apply.
Not sure if this is the right place for this but is it ok to completely rely on Hitmonchan to deal with Fire-types? I know that overall Hitmonchan can beat them 1v1 but it is quickly worn down with hazards and if they have a check to the AV set, and there are plenty of those, you are going to lose overtime especially to Pyroar in my opinion since it is able to outspeed everything you have except Mach Punch and +1 Lilligant which can only deal with it if Sleep Clause is not active.
Magmortar also comes in far too easily for my taste on the likes of Rotom, Lilligant, and Smeargle due to the spore immunity.

It is pretty hard to fix it since Aurorus is a pain in the ass for team synergy but i guess using some sort of Lanturn over Rotom + a Normal-checking Stealth Rock user over Smeargle or simply dropping Smeargle for something like Regirock would help a lot really :D

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Archeops over Scyther technically would fix that Fire-type weakness since it can outspeed and destroy all of them, but also Scyther seems to be the most solid tool to deal with Psychic-types like Musharna and main fighting check so idk if thats an ideal trade.

Replacing Rotom with a Lanturn is plausible but it would compromise the hazards, giving up the spinblocker on this type of teams doesnt sound like a good idea.

Decisions, decisions. Just dropping my 2 cents, doesnt get much better with a banded aurorus :V

Rapture

I got so much time today
Not sure if this is the right place for this but is it ok to completely rely on Hitmonchan to deal with Fire-types? I know that overall Hitmonchan can beat them 1v1 but it is quickly worn down with hazards and if they have a check to the AV set, and there are plenty of those, you are going to lose overtime especially to Pyroar in my opinion since it is able to outspeed everything you have except Mach Punch and +1 Lilligant which can only deal with it if Sleep Clause is not active.
Magmortar also comes in far too easily for my taste on the likes of Rotom, Lilligant, and Smeargle due to the spore immunity.

It is pretty hard to fix it since Aurorus is a pain in the ass for team synergy but i guess using some sort of Lanturn over Rotom + a Normal-checking Stealth Rock user over Smeargle or simply dropping Smeargle for something like Regirock would help a lot really :D
Hi, fire types certainly can be annoying for the team. Your best immediate change to fix that would probs be smth like Mixed samurott > lilligant. I put lilligant in the last slot just because I wanted smth that can deal with Lanturn but rotom can do a good enough job of doing that with wisp + hex. Lanturn is also a good option but I feel it doesn't really fit with this sort of offensive archetype. Both are worth trying out and I'll probably end up slashing one of them on the team post when I get on a computer. Thanks for your concern.

Archeops is also cool if you don't mind the main fighting check being rotom but I feel that would overwhelm rotom in the roles it has to fill on the team.

Edit: thought of something cool to use so changed the team already.
Galbiaedit: yeah i definitely think an offensive set like specs or shuca would be the best, consider signal for malamar maybe

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Requesting a balanced team around Lilligant + AV Hariyama. A solid sweeper and win condition in Lilligant backed by Hariyama which can take Fire- and Ice-attacks with ease for Lilligant. Feel free to change the sets if need be.

Hi,

I'd like you to build a team around this core:

Code:
Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 28 Atk / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Code:
Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
The team can be either Balanced or Offense, but I think that balanced may work better with that core, there's nothing much to write about it, it's just a team that helps Carracosta sweeping as long as all pokes that stops Carracosta are out of the game...

Thx!

Threw

cohiba
Hi (second try)

Pursuit Liepard + Xatu
Requested by andersonba1210
Built by yours truly

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 Atk / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

CB Primeape is easily the best partner for Pursuit Liepard imo. This thing hits so hard and has such an easy time cleaning against bulky offense and a lot of balance once Xatu/Musharna/Mesprit/what have you are reasonably weakened. Regirock deals with offensive checks like Scyther and Swellow. It also provides some T-Wave spam along with Liepard, which is great because T-Wave is the most broken move in the game and because most of this team really punishes slower opponents. Xatu constitutes this team's only hazard control, which can potentially be annoying, but honestly this team tends to put enough pressure on most hazard setters that it usually isn't too much of an issue. I went back and forth between offensive and CM Xatu, but I landed on the latter because otherwise CM M-Audino (and fat teams in general) is really hard to deal with. It also provides a more concrete wincon, which is always appreciated. Hariyama does what Hariyama does, dealing with Fire- and Ice-types as well as being a good thing to throw in front of Gastrodon, Lanturn, Floatzel, and Magmortar. It also provides priority to pick off things weakened by Spikes, and although Fake Out + T-Spikes is always great, I went with Earthquake to lure in and weaken Garbodor for Primeape. Hariyama also lures in Psychic-types, which lets it knock off their Colbur Berry so that Liepard can come in later and Pursuit trap without worry. Last but not least, Garbodor provides a great way of dealing with Fighting-types, especially Hitmonchan, that the team so far is weak to. It also of course can lay Spikes, which rack up damage really quickly combined with the constant switches forced by Primeape U-turning away. I put Drain Punch there so that Aggron can't come in for free, but you could also go with Seed Bomb to do the same with Rhydon, or even go with the offensive set to have both, although it wouldn't deal with Fighters as well as you'd like.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Requesting a balanced team built around Calm Mind Clefairy. Clefairy has a unique niche in its ability, Magic Guard, allowing it to not take damage from entry hazards and status, and reliable recovery in Soft-Boiled, while also having good defensive stats with Eviolite and a nice typing. All of these traits make Clefairy a capable sweeper with Calm Mind, while also being able to cripple switch-ins with Thunder Wave. Clefairy does have some flaws like facing competition as a Fairy-type from the Knock Off-immune Mega Audino, and it's quite passive even when set up. But I'd like to see what Clefairy is capable of in the current metagame, and I believe you guys will do a great job. Thanks in advance!

Shadestep

volition immanent
Lilligant + Hariyama
Requested by: TONE114
Made by: Shadestep

Hey there, TONE! Here is your Balance/BO team with Lilligant + Hariyama, which you requested. Now I must say that when I saw your request I thought it would be a piece of cake, since I use these mons all the time, but I have made around 5 versions of this team which all didn't satisfy me, as they all had some major flaw that stopped them from working well, but I think I did an alright job with this one.

The third member of the team was very problematic and I thought about this for a long time, but eventually decided on Weezing. I had Claydol and Xatu here before, but Weezing seemed to fit the best as it's a Garbodor check, really solid Fighting answer and also a DD Rhydon counter. It's also a fine switch-in to most Shiftry sets. Next up I added another soft-check to Fire-types since Hariyama tends to get overloaded pretty quickly, by things like Pyroar + taking RH damage from Garbodor + hazards, etc. Wacan Samurott is a great lure to Magmortar, as well as being able to take a Rotom TBolt if you find yourself in that awkward position. Steelix seemed like a great fit here; Psychic Resist, Flying Resist, Normal Resist, SR, and that all in 1 slot. I had Claydol > Weezing and Rhydon > Steelix here before but I found it way less effective as Claydol was overloaded super easy by Ice Punch Hitmonchan, Specs Mesprit, etc. Steelix offered great defensive synergy with the other Pokemon and was a great 5th slot.
The 6th member was also tough to pick. I had Magmortar here first but it made the team too slow and Reliant on AJ Samurott to revenge kill Pokemon, so I picked Pyroar. It's a soft-check to Rotom, as well as a great speed tier allowing it to revenge Jynx, non-Scarf Rotom, Scyther, etc. I chose Specs since it's my personal favourite and I think it works best on a team like this w/o Hazard Removal.

If you find yourself struggling against Rotom and Scald-users, feel free to change Hariyama from Thick Fat > Guts. Your request explained why Thick Fat Yama seemed like such a great partner to Lilligant and I agreed with that so I kept it on, but Guts is certainly a solid option and you can try it out if you want to.
Stone Edge on Hariyama is for Charizard which the team otherwise has a tough time against, and HP Ice isn't really useful on Lilligant in the current meta so I changed it to HP Rock, which hits Pyroar, Charizard and Scyther hard as fr*ck.
Lilligant @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Stone Edge

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Samurott @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Atk / 132 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Pyroar (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 88 Atk / 240 SpA / 180 Spe
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

This was one of those cool Pokemon that gained a lot of hype on the VR because it was able to lure a bunch of Pokemon and it also works in a really cool way that other Pokemon can't. But the problem for me is trying to find partners that capitalize best on its support since its a very difficult Pokemon to use in the first place.

Hey guys, this is my first post on Smogon and I'm looking for some NU teambuilding advice. I didn't get much help over on reddit so I figured I'd make an account here and see what you guys can come up with. I'm looking to build a team around the following core, but I am still a bit new and don't know how to fill it out. Let me know what you guys think!

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb (Possibly Choice band with a slightly different set)
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Stun Spore

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Rapture

I got so much time today
Scyther + Zangoose Voltturn
Requested by KingSwordYT
Built by Shadowtags

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Claydol @ Expert Belt
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Carracosta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse

Rotom @ Kasib Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hi KingSwordYT, here's the Zangoose team you asked for. It's a bit more offensive than what you requested but Zangoose works better on more offensive squads anyway so hopefully it's fine. First off I started with the core you used in your post with no changes. The core works well in practice since a lot of scyther checks give Zangoose an opportunity to activate Toxic Orb safely and immediately threaten the opponent with strong af attacks. The entire team in fact is built around taking advantage of common scyther switchins so it'll often be your way of winning a game. Claydol is a spinner I like to pair with scyther since the two have pretty good synergy and it has a pretty good matchup versus most rock setters. Expert Belt is the item of choice since the extra damage versus spinblockers is great for ensuring a way to spin if needed. Carracosta is my rocker on this team for it's ability to check things like Tauros and Archeops effectively. Aqua Jet is also useful for pressuring fire types since the team has to rely on priority from Zangoose and Cacturne to keep them in check otherwise. Cacturne gives the team a way to check water types and is another wallbreaker that works well alongide Zangoose. It also happens to have access to spikes which help to pressure opposing teams. I decided to run hasty since the extra speed is useful to catch things like Aurorus offguard. Finally we have Kasib Rotom which compresses a good amount of roles to finish off the team. First off its a way to stop rapid spinners from getting rid of our hazards, its a volt switch user to complete the voltturn cycle with Scyther and Kasib Berry acts as a nice lure and allows rotom to 1v1 most ghost types in the tier for claydol. Some things to watch out for are wallbreakers like Magmortar and Aurorus that the team struggles to switch into. You'll typically want to rely on some smart double switches and offensive pressure to ensure they don't do too much damage. Floatzel is also really annoying but hazards and priority wears it down quick plus it struggles to come in on the majority of the team. Hope you enjoy!

KingSwordYT

Mr. Superior thinking
is a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scyther + Zangoose Voltturn
Requested by KingSwordYT
Built by Shadowtags

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Claydol @ Expert Belt
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Carracosta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse

Rotom @ Kasib Berry
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hi KingSwordYT, here's the Zangoose team you asked for. It's a bit more offensive than what you requested but Zangoose works better on more offensive squads anyway so hopefully it's fine. First off I started with the core you used in your post with no changes. The core works well in practice since a lot of scyther checks give Zangoose an opportunity to activate Toxic Orb safely and immediately threaten the opponent with strong af attacks. The entire team in fact is built around taking advantage of common scyther switchins so it'll often be your way of winning a game. Claydol is a spinner I like to pair with scyther since the two have pretty good synergy and it has a pretty good matchup versus most rock setters. Expert Belt is the item of choice since the extra damage versus spinblockers is great for ensuring a way to spin if needed. Carracosta is my rocker on this team for it's ability to check things like Tauros and Archeops effectively. Aqua Jet is also useful for pressuring fire types since the team has to rely on priority from Zangoose and Cacturne to keep them in check otherwise. Cacturne gives the team a way to check water types and is another wallbreaker that works well alongide Zangoose. It also happens to have access to spikes which help to pressure opposing teams. I decided to run hasty since the extra speed is useful to catch things like Aurorus offguard. Finally we have Kasib Rotom which compresses a good amount of roles to finish off the team. First off its a way to stop rapid spinners from getting rid of our hazards, its a volt switch user to complete the voltturn cycle with Scyther and Kasib Berry acts as a nice lure and allows rotom to 1v1 most ghost types in the tier for claydol. Some things to watch out for are wallbreakers like Magmortar and Aurorus that the team struggles to switch into. You'll typically want to rely on some smart double switches and offensive pressure to ensure they don't do too much damage. Floatzel is also really annoying but hazards and priority wears it down quick plus it struggles to come in on the majority of the team. Hope you enjoy!
OH! Ty Shadowtags <3 I've never tried using Carracosta in the team, This looks like a great team, im sure i'll start testing it rn. Cya & Ty Again :D

Rapture

I got so much time today
Closing this for now since NU open is taking up most of each builder's time. Will reopen once NU Open is close to ending. If a mod could lock the thread when they read this that would be great.

bolts edit: done

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nv
Can anyone build a specs lapras voltturn for me? I feel people sleep on it, and it doesnt have safe switchins at all while soft checking some passive water types such as mantine/peli. Other options in the last slot include signal beam/psychic/surf, and Ive also been thinking about frost breath over ice beam to soft check cm psychics/megadino. It also beats yogi's rmt

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)