Project NU Archetype Cores: Discuss Your Experiences! (HIATUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Surf/Psychic

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake
- Vacuum Wave

-I dont usually use type spam cores, but Audino is pretty cool partner to tauros because fire blast+ surf can easily weaken some of the most common tauros checks/counters like steelix,rhydon,ferro,and dealing with tauros becomes a lot harder if opponent doesnt have a way of revenge killing. Poliwrath checks steel/rock types for core.

Question: does a core like Lucians here still count? Because while MDino is technically a normal type, it does not pack a single normal attack (which I thought was the point of normal spam) and while it does lure common counters to Tauros, mostly steel and rock types, it does so because most of them can hit it supereffectively because of the fairy typing.

Not to disrespect PrinceLucian , it's a great core and he's a cool user, I just wanted to know how the rules work in a case like this.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question: does a core like Lucians here still count? Because while MDino is technically a normal type, it does not pack a single normal attack (which I thought was the point of normal spam) and while it does lure common counters to Tauros, mostly steel and rock types, it does so because most of them can hit it supereffectively because of the fairy typing.

Not to disrespect PrinceLucian , it's a great core and he's a cool user, I just wanted to know how the rules work in a case like this.
It counts; the themes are intentionally loose so that other people can find creative cores within them that don't necessarily follow a "spam" archetype. The whole Rock-spam week only had one core where both mons used Rock-type attacks; other synergies were found between the Pokemon.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- U-turn

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

You (Skuntank) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Pretty simple concept here, Smeargle sets up webs for Tauros and Skunk. Tauros is great at breaking teams and the speed drop is neat for outpacing stuff like Floatzel and Zebstrika. Skuntank can pursuit ghost types for tauros, help Smeargle deal with Xatu and taunt shuts down defog from the likes of pelipper and mantine. Sucker punch support is cool for pressuring things like Swellow that avoid the speed drop from webs. all in all just a decent template for a webs team where normal types play both a support and offensive role.

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

ok so the premise of this core is pretty obvious and simple. Pyroar and Specs Swellow share a lot of checks and switchins, and the idea of this core is to punish that by using using pyroar to weaken said things so swellow can come in and clean up weakened teams. Its a relatively solid idea, but theyre both very weak to rock types and omnipresent stealth rocks. To counteract this, I threw on claydol to rapid spin rocks away and deal with pesky rock types, as well as fighting and ground types which would other wise be a bit of a headache to the original 2

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
and

And the winners this week are PrinceLucian and Sobi! All of the cores provided this week show different ways that Normal-types can complement each other; either through spamming powerful attacks on different sides of the spectrum to overwhelm checks, or using lures to clear the way for a teammate to clean up. Poliwrath was also identified as a great partner for Normal-types in general, with its Water/Fighting typing letting it check Rock- and Steel-types very reliably. The theme this week is a little different, going with
! Dragon-types are a rare sight in NU, as the only fully-evolved one is the mysterious Altaria. Nonetheless, their defensive typing packs some solid resistances and offensively they can be hard to wall once Mega Audino is out of the way. Fire-types can threaten the Steel-types that wall Dragons while Steel-types can usually deal with Mega Audino and other Fairy-types pretty well, with both also resisting Ice-type attacks. This is quite a challenging theme in this tier so make sure to be creative and test your cores before submitting them!

The deadline for this week is Friday 1st July at 18:00 GMT. Get ready to drop some Dracos...
Altaria, Fraxure, Sliggoo... but feel free to use whatever you think your core supports well!
Camerupt, Charizard, Combusken, Flareon, Magmortar, Ninetales, Pyroar
Aggron, Bronzor, Ferroseed, Klinklang, Mawile, Metang, Pawniard, Probopass, Steelix

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Power Swap

Charizard
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatic

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Here is a core I used recently in a fun team I built around offensive Tangela. These 3 mons works very well together. Altaria's set is one of my favourite, hitting pretty hard with DM and Fire Blast, able to recover with Roost, and Power Swap can give the DM drop to opponent, then Altaria can hit a second DM. Bulky Zard act like a decent fightning check, and can help Altaria in the DM spam with the WoW support. Zard can also help Steelix in wearing down fightnig/grass/ground types, while Steelix walls rock types that Zard hates. Finally, Steelix's set is the classiest in the world, but uh, that's his best one. Add Skuntank, Lanturn and Tangela/Lilligant and you have the team lol.

Sobi

Banned deucer.

Fraxure @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Superpower
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Claw

Fraxure is the core's wall-breaker, weakening the opposing team and punching as many holes as possible before it faints, which is usually not long after it is sent out due to the lack of eviolite on this set. aqua tail, superpower, and iron tail are all for coverage hitting fire/ground/rock-types, rock- and steel-types, and fairies super effectively. fraxure is also a fire switch-in for klinklang.

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

when the opposing team is sufficiently weakened, send out combusken and get as many boosts as possible from speed boost before baton passing over to klinklang. combusken also hits on the other side of the spectrum, giving this core a much needed special attacker. fire blast and focus blast are both stab moves.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

klinklang is the main pokemon of this core. the support provided by fraxure and combusken allows it to easily set up a substitute and start gear grinding as much as possible, turning it into an absolute monster, especially with the speed boost given by combusken, which, after a few gear grind boosts, allows klinklang to outspeed the unboosted metagame. klinklang is also a fairy switch-in for fraxure.

(close enough)

rest talk specially defensive zwelious is a really fun pokemon as with eviolite has increased bulk. zwelious can counter and phaze out fire types such as magmortar and pyroar using either dragon tail or roar and even check water types such as lanturn. however, zwelious struggles against fairy+ice types. its also a bit depressing that zweilious misses 30% of the time. i then added steelix to provide rocks and take fairy type moves such as moonblast though it still isn't the best answer to ice types. steelix can also take knock off (which is usually aimed at zweilous for item removal) pretty well though it dislikes using its item. finally decided to add av magmortar to threaten special ice type attacks such as aboma. the core has no ground resists against pokemon such as rhydon which can be annoying, though it can be played around. pretty simple core and not much to explain

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Flame Charge

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass
- Roost

Okay, so I was thinking bout going for a more defensive style of core centred round 2 NFE mons (I love NFE :3), sliggoo and metang; whilst also having LO spa zard to give the core the ability to deal with physical walls that may stop it dead. Metang is a p-decent physical wall, being able to generally set up SR with decent ease and sliggoo I almost unstoppable once it gets a few curses set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)