Next Best Thing: Summer Edition! (Open for comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse / Roost
- Iron Tail / Superpower

Work Up Hydreigon is a neat and underrated set that I've been using for a little while now, and it's a really powerful wallbreaker. While Hydreigon is powerful enough without Work Up, with Work Up, it can become even more powerful, juicing up the power of it's STABs and it's coverage. While this set has a bit of 4MSS as it likes having Roost to set up on fat mons easier, Work Up is still worth it because with +1, a good amount of 2HKOs can become OHKOs, especially with the help of Stealth Rock and other entry hazards. This set also has a nice advantage against bulkier teams that don't like taking boosted Dark Pulses or Draco Meteors, or if their Hydreigon check gets taken out by a boosted coverage move. This set works great with a sweeper that appreciates Hydreigon breaking down defensive walls with boosted attacks, like Doublade or Celebi. Overall, this set is pretty cool for wallbreaking purposes, and is in general an underrated Hydreigon set. The 64 Attack EVs are so that Iron Tail has a small chance to OHKO defensive Sylveon after Stealth Rock, and also secures the OHKO on Blissey with boosted Superpower after Stealth Rock, while still keeping Hydreigon's special attacking moves strong as always.

+1 64 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 676-795 (94.6 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 64 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 442-520 (133.5 - 157%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 64 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 294-346 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 64 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 294-346 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 64 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 283-335 (78.6 - 93%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 192 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 341-402 (84.4 - 99.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 192 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 504-594 (104.7 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 192 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 356-421 (100.5 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Aerodactyl @ Aeordactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake / Fire Fang / Roost

Taunt Mega Aerodactyl is actually really cool due to it's unbelievable speed, which allows it to virtually taunt anything that it outspeeds. It's great for denying things Stealth Rock, Spikes, Status, recovery and wearing them down with it's great STABs. Roost would be nice to create the infamous TauntRoost combo, but Earthquake is nice coverage that makes sure certain Steel-types don't wall you and Fire Fang just hits nearly every Steel-type including Bronzong and Escavailer for great damage (really underrated option imo)

Ladies and Gentlemen me, THE ICE TEA, presents you the anti hazard Aerodactyl. Yeah you heard right this Aerodactyl prevents any sort of hazard on your side that is not set by Empoleon (only exception tbh).

Aerodactyl @ Liechi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Natural Gift
- Defog

bop thele it is​
Fire Blast for annoying Forries and Cobalion. Stone Edge for y'know stab and take care of flying types you're supposed to check. Natural Gift Grass for Swampert which is the most common Aerodactyl check and will just get bopped by this attack, also helps vs things like Krookodile or other random waters like Seismitoad xd. Defog, ofc, to remove the hazards that were set before you switch in. Aero is a very fast defogger so it will most likely get the hazards away.
This set is by no means a meme fam, I've created it when I desperately needed hazard removal on my team and already had a Mega Slot occupied and didnt want to make the team slow with Empo/Forry so there it is. I've used it quite often and its pretty funny and gimmicky, try it yourself!

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I've been wondering how to exactly determine wether a set qualifies for "the next best thing". In the OP it is stated only sets that are not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site are eligible, but how exactly is "on-site" defined? For example, Taunt and Fire Fang are both listed under the moves section of the standard AoA Mega Aero analysis. Does that mean Magic's set doesn't qualify? Is it only the blue box (where you can import the set from) on the analysis that defines a set being "on-site"? Do I just post my set and someone tells me when it doesn't qualify to be "the next best thing"? Basically what I'm asking is: To what extent does the presented set have to differ from the sets/options mentioned on the analysis? Just wondering where to draw the line n_n

Btw Magic I don't want to bash your set or anything, I thought about posting Fire Fang Aero myself, checked the analysis and noticed that it was mentioned on there which is why I assumed it wouldn't qualify and didn't bother to post.

So I've been wondering how to exactly determine wether a set qualifies for "the next best thing". In the OP it is stated only sets that are not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site are eligible, but how exactly is "on-site" defined? For example, Taunt and Fire Fang are both listed under the moves section of the standard AoA Mega Aero analysis. Does that mean Magic's set doesn't qualify? Is it only the blue box (where you can import the set from) on the analysis that defines a set being "on-site"? Do I just post my set and someone tells me when it doesn't qualify to be "the next best thing"? Basically what I'm asking is: To what extent does the presented set have to differ from the sets/options mentioned on the analysis? Just wondering where to draw the line n_n

Btw Magic I don't want to bash your set or anything, I thought about posting Fire Fang Aero myself, checked the analysis and noticed that it was mentioned on there which is why I assumed it wouldn't qualify and didn't bother to post.
I think it's more of something that isn't seen too often that should get more recognition for it's worth. The parameters of the project itself aren't too stable unless it were to be more defined by the host himself, but I'd assume it's applied more to the current metagame and what's popular. Band Dreigon, Band Daunt, and SD Celebi are also things but they aren't used enough to justify not being qualified as "the next best thing" which is why they were accepted.

At least that's what I think.

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Aerodactyl @ Aeordactylite
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack / Earthquake
- Pursuit / Earthquake

This is a really nifty tech I've used in the past (should really only be considered on HO teams) that paves the way for another, potentially slower, member of your team to wreak havoc. Aerodactyl's great speed tier, especially after mega evolving, almost always allows it to get up a Tailwind on anything that you can't break late game. I realize that most people would prefer to instead whittle down at opposing mons that Aero can't break through, but I've personally found that Tailwind applies more pressure to those situations in general, and after all it depends on the situation at hand and on the position you'd be in at the time. The rest of the moves listed are fairly standard and can vary based on the teammates you choose to run alongside Aerodactyl.

Edit: 100th post

!

Moxie

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Double Edge
- Earthquake

This is a variation of the offensive DD set that I like to use. I don't like Sub DD that much since I generally think Moxie sets are slightly better when looking for an awesome sweeper or cleaner. So this set aims to setup and pick up on a snowball effect when it progressively gets more KO's making it incredibly hard to stop. Double Edge is actually good here because of the snowballing. It assists in picking up enough power so it can break past Grass-types and anything else it's coverage between Waterfall + EQ fails to do. Overall this is a pretty cool set that should honestly see more usage than it does even if it's not that different from the offensive DD set onsite.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gyarados @ Power Herb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

Gyarados's most common switchins are Grass-types that try to scout it, like Whimsicott, Chesnaught, or Celebi. Once Gyarados starts to charge for Bounce, they can play around it. Power Herb mitigates this and gives the Gyarados user an advantage right off the bat by immediately OHKOing the Grass-type and making it a much more effective sweeper. Power Herb also makes it a better partner for the likes of Mega Sceptile, Suicune, and Krookodile, as it can surprise and efficiently remove annoying Grass-types for them in a way normal Gyarados really cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)