New Name for Circus Maximus

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This is a similar purpose so I thought I'd put it here...

Shouldn't Circus Maximus be in charge of the mafia room on showdown, or at the very least get a link in the room description?

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a similar purpose so I thought I'd put it here...

Shouldn't Circus Maximus be in charge of the mafia room on showdown, or at the very least get a link in the room description?
because the ps mafia room is a separate community than smogon mafia? Theres already a community in the ps room and you just wanna take it over for smogon mafia people that probably won't even use the room? sounds retarded

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree with macle in that the PS room is an autonomous entity that we have no right to meddle with. At the same time though, I do like the idea of linking CM somewhere in the PS room description - on the condition that the PS room gets more visibility here on Smogon as well. Playerbase crossover, IMO, can really help both communities out, especially with how desperate we always are for more players.

I agree with macle in that the PS room is an autonomous entity that we have no right to meddle with. At the same time though, I do like the idea of linking CM somewhere in the PS room description - on the condition that the PS room gets more visibility here on Smogon as well. Playerbase crossover, IMO, can really help both communities out, especially with how desperate we always are for more players.
i agree with this, i think most of us miss realtime mafias and #fluodome etc. actually and should at least try to integrate with the playerbase that exists, even if the meta is different. forum mafia kept irc mafia alive way longer than it had any right to be after we broke it with outside communication, and irc mafia was a continuous source of player intake for forum mafia. however i know nothing about the showdown room and its legitimacy within the server so this is abstract speculation

are we ever going to actually do the semi-crossover but not takeover(i agree, takeover is stupid,) Showdown mafia room is as legitimate, other than population, at the same level as everything besides Lobby, Tournaments, OLT, and I feel like I missed something, and two-way advertising helps both mafia mediums gain a playerbase, so I don't see why not.

I see absolutely zero reason not to just post a sticky or something advertising the Showdown room, and in exchange ask them to add us to their roomdesc. It increases awareness on both sides and is still easily ignorable for those who don't care.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
rssp1 I have been informed that you are a mod in the showdown room. Let me know what sort of cross-advertising makes sense.

Last year I wrote part of a strategy tutorial aimed at beginner players for dealing with information as both mafia and village, based around the meta used in Smogon OC mafia. I didn't finish a pretty major section (which was meant to cover accidental information slips, trust, etc.) and I wanted to add in examples for the cleaning people subsections as well as some advice on diplomacy/maybe ensuring information survives/spreadsheet technical info. I also never addressed multifaction/mafia vs. mafia stuff as I am bad at multifaction and saw the latter as redundant in this context. I was trying to avoid stuff that had already been covered in great substance in the non-out-of-date mafia articles written by Mekkah and UncleSam), but if anyone would like to finish it and edit it down for length/correctness that's fine with me.

Sam's guide on false claiming in The Smog is pretty good (although slightly out of date where the role shit gets specific I think) and he wrote a strategy guide for planning in The Smog as well that was pretty good at least at the time (haven't reread it) so that was one reason I didn't pursue finishing it (since the part of my guide that dealt with faking was becoming pretty similar), but I feel like we could probably amalgamate information from those articles with citations, update shit, add in new shit, and make a comprehensive guide on top of the glossary-esque thing we have.

I have finals and I'm (unusually!) sick right now, so I won't be making any revisions to the actual document, but I thought I'd offer it up if we were talking mutual intake with a new community, as Smogon OC 2v1 is pretty unique. We could also probably run some beginner games (annoyingly I had a bunch of beginner games designed but they're quite literally six years out of date and probably very imba). I think they're running #fluodome-type mafia games in #smogon again (#pokemon -> #smogon) but I can't confirm 'cause I don't go there.

This is just because while NOC gives you a lot of good skills for playing I am not sure what mafia variants the Showdown! people have played and I was bored a year ago.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D4dfOK1MP7OYZntsfHABeHI9KulRkLCfXfVDnBBzM5E

this was meant to supplement stuff written in this thread #12 which was posted here in this sticky but is a lot more concise. At the least Sam should go through his and Mekkah's guides and find the ones that are still relevant and make a new post in that thread linking them IMO

also I think the mods should prolly have a think about hosting issues...

Note that Coronis used to actually play mafia here btw, he was even in Sam's Very First Game :') :') :') and ofc good players from there will probably be competent but anything that encourages people to make the crossover and not get overwhelmed! New friends are good. Maybe we can even get them to play with Avalon with us

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)