SM UU Need help with first UU team build

This is a team I've been using on the UU ladder recently. It's just your standard hyper offense team i guess. I haven't got much experience team building in the UU tier but I've given it my best shot. It was originally a sub/roost kyurem balance but it was modified to get this.

First is Cobalion. It is my stealth rocker and set up breaker. It's job is to set up rocks and punch holes in teams, and it does it pretty well. Its steel typing is very handy in taking on many things, although fairy and psychic are neutral (fortunately mega gard has moved to Bl)

Next is my main breaker in Entei. Banded Entei is definitely a force to be reckoned with. With powerful stab moves in flare blitz and sacred fire, not many mons can take two hits at neutral. Extreme speed is the only priority on the team and is essential in cleaning late game.

The third poke is tentacruel. Every offensive team that I build must have a utility mon. Tentacruel provides hazard removal for the team aswell as toxic spike support for entei to break pokemon like alomamola and suicune. It also is my fighting resist with almost full defense investment, aswell as my only consistent primarina switch in.

Next to finish off the F.W.G core I chose Rotom-Mow, originally celebi but it didn't pressure enough and just got set up on. Rotom-mow is an extremely hard hitter with dual stabs and potentially signal beam, able to gain momentum with volt switch or cripple defensive teams with trick. It is also ground immune which is good since my other 3 mons are all weak to ground.

At this point the team is quite slow for a hyper offense team, so I thought the last two mons should be extremely fast. One pokemon that I have always used this gen uu id scarfed Hydreigon. This mon is a beast. Powerfull dual stabs, u-turn and fire coverage help allow this mon to deal with fast threats easily.

The last pokemon I decided had to be a fast, hard hitting mega. So what other choice did I have than to go with mega aero. I decided to use a coverage + roost set because the hone claws set felt unneeded and being able to get mons like gliscor and hippowdon off gaurd is great.

So there is the team. Nothing special, just another UU offense team, but it's been working for me so far. I'd really appreciate for any raters to point out weaknesses, threats, better optimized sets or even better pokemon to use.

Thank you in advanced!

here's a replay showing off how the team works:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-668800667
(36 turn battle)
Here's the team import (I don't know how to do the hide/show thing)

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 8 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 Def / 244 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

My first thought is that the team can't quite decide whether its hyper-offence or offence. Are you ever leading with Tentacruel? If so, why is the set bulky instead of just offensive setting?
If the team is offence, its winconditions are a little lackluster. You don't have lures for Cobalion's walls.
What I'm going to suggest pushes the team more in an offence direction, by making this into Fightspam.

First, your Coba set is solid, but I'd suggest changing Fightinium Z to Steelium Z to nail Mega-Latias.

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

This tentacruel doesn't fit the team you've put up, but as the threats for the team I'm going to suggest are largely poison immune or levitating, Toxic Spikes aren't so important, and having a reliable switchin to special attacks that can spin, knock off and spam reasonably strong scalds is useful.

Entei -> Infernape @ Choice Band
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Overheat

I'm tempted to say replace Overheat with rocks and change Coba, but I'm not really sure. The point of this is to lure in Coba's checks and smack them hard with Flare Blitz, or U-turn for Latias. I was tempted by Heracross but Coba is the cleaner, and Ape's speed allows it to work well as a fast band. Overheat is in case of defensive switchins and should only be clicked after solid scouting.

Rotom-Mow -> Galvantula @ Choice Specs
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Compound Eyes
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web

This team doesn't need a FWG core, as we're not planning on playing defensively. Galvantula does the same job at pivoting as Rotom, but is faster, hits harder with Thunder, has really useful Bug Stab, and really messes up your opponent's lead game as they try to stop webs from going up. Webs are worth putting on the set I think, but if you find ground types to be a real pain, HP Ice for Gliscor or Giga Drain for Hippo would work.

The only change I suggest for Aero is Roost -> Hone Claws. After a boost he has perfect accurate Stone Edge and Aqua Tail, making him an effective lategame sweeper once you've cleared out any scarf checks.

I worry about triple choice on any team, but Scarf dreigon should work well with this team, as the sweeping force is mostly physical. However I'm not sure this team struggles with Scizor enough to justify Fire Blast, and Taunt can be very useful against opposing webs.

The strategy is mostly the same - use Galvantula and Ape to wear things down, then sweep with Coba. However, now you've got much more lure potential from Ape, and an alternative wincon in Aero. However, neither of your sweepers boost speed, so the team is still threatened by special scarfers and Heracross.

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey man cool team! First thing that I wanted to talk about is the edits that the person above suggested to you. The tentacruel set is good at it is rn. Your team revolves around being a HO and you want to be using toxic on annoying fat mons like alomomola. Or at the least, setting up some toxic spikes to make it easier to deal with in the end.

I agree with the use of entei as well. Although you have flare blitz and scared fire, try to consider running something else over flare blitz such as toxic for fat stall members or maybe bulldoze to hit an incoming tentacruel.

The last thing that you described was rotom-mow. Now, as I look here I was really interested with your choice. I don't see this mon in UU a lot and I thought it was a really cool idea in the sense that you can trick something like an incoming blissey and then go into your coballion to abuse the free set up.

So in terms of the things that the previous person said, I don't agree with any of them.

Looking at your team, I see a real with electric types, specifically CM raikou and mega manectric. In my opinion, the best way to beat these mons would be to switch your scarf and specs users.
So, I would make the hydreigon specs and then I would switch out the rotom into a scarf infernape, which in my opinion is the best mon in the tier. Although this change may make you weaker to blastoise, it is worthy considering to have good ways to kill manectric.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon / U-Turn
- Fire Blast

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot / Earthquake

The last thing I suggest is to change up the aerodactyl set. Although aero lacks good STAB flying type moves, I still suggest that you run wing attack.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Aqua Tail

Although roost may be useful to switch into rocks, I think you would benefit more as a hyper offense team with things like pursuit over roost since you don't wanna be wasting turns with non damaging moves or things that don't do as much in the late game. Keep in mind that scizor kills aero anyways so it may not be useful to having an aero at 50 percent or 100 percent. Other than that, cool team and gl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)