SM OU Need Experienced Criticism of my Physical Koko Team

Yeah, it sounds super strange, but 100% physical scarfed Tapu Koko has been catching people off guard, and is extremely effective against Volcarona even after plus one. Adamant Brave Bird always OHKO's Volcarona, provided it does not have more than 132 Defense EV's. It might not seem like a brilliant idea to base an entire team off of countering one mon, but I seem to have been having pretty good results recently. That being said, I am not the most familiar with the meta or battling in general, so I would like more experienced players to give me their critiques and perhaps test out my team for themselves.

The Team

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge

The main star; I will sometimes lead with this guy if I think my opponent will lead with a mon slower than me so as not to reveal my scarf too early in the match. If I manage to get him in before Volcarona Quiver Dances, then great, and if not, we still outspeed after one Quiver Dance. Other than that, U-turn over Volt Switch, because we're physical, and also better coverage. Wild Charge as only STAB move, and Dazzling Gleam, because despite not having any special attack investment, Koko really lacks much physical coverage.

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Just an overall really solid Pokémon in SM. After a Shift Gear and a couple of Soul-Heart boosts, this thing is an absolute behemoth, capable of ripping entire teams to shreds. Best to get this guy in when you have an opportunity to set up. He has enough bulk to tank weak or neutral hits. Right now, I'm using the Smogon set, but I am also experimenting with Fightinium-Z over Steelium-Z.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Absolutely disgusting Pokémon; once it gets a kill, it reaches almost Deoxys levels of offensive power. Best to save for late game, when the mons that could eat up its hits are taken care of. I really feel like I should shape the team around this guy instead, as he puts in a ton of work in many of my games. Good at handling fast threats like non-mega Alakazam. I put him on here not just for his raw power, but also for the synergy with Tapu Koko. Koko handles a lot of the mons that prevent Greninja from getting its Battle Bond, such as Toxapex.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

I put Kyurem-B on here for more wallbreaking power. Kyurem-B deals with Magnezones trying to come in on Magearna and also deals a hefty chunk to SpDef Heatran. Overall, a solid mon, but if it came down to it, Kyurem-B is the most expendable in favor of someone more capable of taking ground type attacks or just physical attacks in general.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

The only Pokémon remotely tanky on this team. I like to lead off with Sableye when I know my opponent will try and get up hazards turn one. For some reason, people don't seem to acknowledge Magic Bounce, but this is most likely due to my low position on the ladder. Sableye is my only answer to strong physical threats, as he can cripple most of them with priority Will-o-Wisp prior to Mega Evolution. I am always careful about when I mega evolve with this guy, because depending on the situation, I may have more need for Prankster over Magic Bounce, such as to get in a priority Recover or Will-o-Wisp.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Another interesting Pokémon with a monstrous Attack stat thanks to its exclusive item. I am a massive fan of the new Alolan forms, and Marowak is by far my favorite, despite its unimpressive speed. I appreciate its ability to demolish bulky grass types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and the occasional Amoonguss that pops up. When I get the chance to set up late game, I'll go for it, but I typically just use him against the aforementioned Grass types.
That concludes my analysis of this shoddily put-together mess of a team. So far, it's worked for me, but again, I am quite low on the ladder, so perhaps my word is not the most reliable. I would like for the experienced among you to analyze this team for further weaknesses, test it out for yourselves, and let me know what you think I should improve.

Sample Replays (In Progress)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-587696799 (Tapu Koko Carries Despite Misplays)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-587725432 (Some Dude Calls Me a Retard)​

Thanks!
Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
Happiness: 0
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
ok so i have two critiques: run dazzling gleam on tapu koko instead of frustration because frustration provides no coverage. Also, I have a very odd EV spread for marowak that you might wanna try out: 120 hp evs, 144 defense evs, and 244 sp.def evs with a careful nature. this set can effectively wall mega scizor, tapu koko (with lightning rod), and mega medicham without psychic move, as well as some other threats to the meta and being able to boost its attack to monstrous levels with swords dance

ok so i have two critiques: run dazzling gleam on tapu koko instead of frustration because frustration provides no coverage. Also, I have a very odd EV spread for marowak that you might wanna try out: 120 hp evs, 144 defense evs, and 244 sp.def evs with a careful nature. this set can effectively wall mega scizor, tapu koko (with lightning rod), and mega medicham without psychic move, as well as some other threats to the meta and being able to boost its attack to monstrous levels with swords dance
I'll def try these changes out. Thank you friend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)