NCAA Men's Basketball 2015-16 Season Thread

It's exactly 2 weeks until the men's college basketball season starts so I thought I'd make a thread for it. We all know March Madness? This is the stuff that comes before that and determine rankings for that tournament happens. Here are the preseason top 25 by Athlon Sports:
1. Kentucky
2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Maryland
5. Virginia
6. Kansas
7. Iowa State
8. Arizona
9. Oklahoma
10. Villanova
11. Gonzaga
12. Michigan State
13. Cal
14. Wichita State
15. Vanderbilt
16. Purdue
17. Indiana
18. UConn
19. Wisconsin
20. Butler
21. Oregon
22. Michigan
23. Louisville
24. SMU(Due to investigations, banned from postseason play)
25. Texas A&M
What do you guys think of these ratings and what are your own rankings?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also double post but Simmons vs. Labissiere right now. LSU is my other team solely because I'm Aussie and therefore a huge Simmons fan, excited to watch him play against a top 10 side.

Duke vs. UNC tomorrow. Spread is a pick 'em. Picking the Heels since the only reason Duke is ranked is because Grayson Allen didn't get called for a walk on that last play against UVA.

I wish the Hoosiers could stay consistent. They upset #4 Iowa but got pounded by #8 Michigan State.
Also, where are the usual college program giants this year? Duke? Low rank. Kentucky? Low rank. Wisconsin? Unranked. Well March Madness should be interesting this year finally

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
That was a bs no-call at the end of the game. Not a big time fan of either team, but literally being able to hold the shooting arm down is just fucking horse shit.

That was a bs no-call at the end of the game. Not a big time fan of either team, but literally being able to hold the shooting arm down is just fucking horse shit.
grayson allen went to the line 4 times early and then got the ever-loving shit fouled out of him the entire rest of the game without returning to the line until the very end, but you won't hear anybody from duke complain

this was 100% UNC's game to win. Duke literally had a 6 man rotation of unproven youngsters with injury trouble and foul trouble fighting against like a 11 man deep squad. Brice Johnson got a double double in 15 minutes. Duke led for 179 seconds of the entire 40 minutes, trailing the entire game. at 6 minutes left, UNC were up by 8 and had fresh players from making like 30 subs to Duke's maybe 5. despite this, duke went on a 15-4 run in the last 6 minutes of the game, when throughout the entire game UNC fans were talking shit about how Duke's understaffed, young, small squad wouldn't be able to keep up physically--and they should've been right. By any conventional logic, it should've been UNC going on that type of run in the last 6 minutes to finish the game up by 20

what really baffles me is how UNC were doing everything inside the paint all game, and it was WORKING for them, and then after Marshall Plumlee, the only player with any size on Duke's team, got his 4th foul, they stopped. you'd expect that once the last line of defense against your tried-and-proven strategy works gets into foul trouble, you'd put the hammer down even harder, but instead they decided to try their luck at a bunch of 3-point shots and deservedly their lead disappeared

not to mention, at the very end Roy Williams could very easily have called a time-out when they had one chance to win the game--instead allowing the players to pass to mr. 2-for-10 marcus paige to get it done

you can't blame a single call for 10 minutes of pure chokes after the officials were decidedly biased towards UNC throughout the game and UNC had every circumstance in their favor on the night, that's like Christo blaming the will-o miss for his most recent display in SPL

Last edited:
How much of a coaching fail is it when your team has the #1 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, yet your team probably isn't making the NCAAT and possibly not even the NIT? Ask Johnny Jones. It's an "accomplishment" that hasn't been done since '98 with Michael Olowokandi of the Pacific Tigers.

Barring some major SEC Tournament miracle, there's no way LSU is making it into March Madness. Even with the help of future #1 overall pick Ben Simmons, LSU still can't do anything. Kinda sad.
I'm pretty interested to see who wins the Big 10. It's pretty open right now. Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana have all been pretty good this year and there's no clear favorite imo so that's the most interesting conference to watch for imo

Barring some major SEC Tournament miracle, there's no way LSU is making it into March Madness. Even with the help of future #1 overall pick Ben Simmons, LSU still can't do anything. Kinda sad.
I'm pretty interested to see who wins the Big 10. It's pretty open right now. Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana have all been pretty good this year and there's no clear favorite imo so that's the most interesting conference to watch for imo
The Big 12 is significantly better. 6 teams in the Top 25, not to mention that the 7th team, Texas Tech, is arguably the hottest team in the NCAA at the moment. All seven of those teams have a decent shot of winning the conference, and are also significantly better than most of the Big 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)