SM OU My First RMT (Please help)

Hello people of the internet! I've been fooling around with the notion of, you know, creating a team. It'll probably be pretty bare, as I've been playing for a short 4 months, but please help me with it.

1. Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Atk / 180 Spe
Substitute
Dragon Dance
Thousand Arrows
Protect

Explanation: Every non-cancerous stall team needs a sweeper, and as glorious as it is to sweep with a Pichu, I looked at one of 2 sweepers in the current meta who are excellent at the baby stages of this team; Magearna or Zygarde. Zygarde looked pretty underwhelming at first, but I fell in love with how versatile it is. I also chose it over Magearna due to how good the pokemon simply is at sweeping. (No, seriously, look it up. It's amazing.) The set seems to be pretty strange at first, but I simply modified one of Smogon's samples to be able to regenerate health a lot more efficiently, and to scout for Z-moves. It's also worth noting that with it, I can successfully set up on things like Tapu Fini due to it usually running things like Nature's Madness which destroys subs so easily. I also messed around with the EVs, so I have a lot more offensive pressure and speed so I have a better chance to outspeed Choice Scarfers. Thousand Arrows hits a lot of things for good damage, including Lando-T, which is one of Zygarde's biggest checks. If you're running this set, try to get T-spikes up, as it'll really help Zygarde stall out its checks like Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Lando-T.

2. Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability (Pre Mega): Light Metal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 124 SpD / 68 Spe
Bullet Punch
Roost
U-Turn
Defog

Explanation: I chose Scizor to go along with Zygarde as it helps in providing a cleaner that can take out weakened pokemon, as well as survive fairy moves, and Zygarde in return can take out Electric, Fire, and Steel types for Scizor. It also makes a great pivot to bring in frail team members such as Koko and Blacephalon. The HP EVs make it very tanky, and roost only provides to that. The rest of the EVs are pooled into defenses to make it survive as long as possible, except for the speed EVs, which help with outspeeding AV Magnezone. He's also crucial in the fact that it is my only tank that can stomach a thousand arrows coming off of a Zygarde, as half of my team is weak to ground. Defog means that I can bring in Blacephalon easily without stealth rocks taking 25% of its health. Plus, T-Spikes are terrifying if they aren't put away by Scizor.

3. Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Terrain
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Ice
Dazzling Gleam

Explanation: Koko can KO or weaken many of Zygarde's checks such as opposing Zygarde or Lando-T with Hidden Power Ice upon switch in. Thunderbolt can wreck rain teams when Swampert is gone, as well as Greninja and Toxapex. With Electric Terrain up, it can heavily dent even resists. Dazzling Gleam can take care of threats like Megazard X, Garchomp, Kyurem-B, Dragonite, etc. Volt Switch makes it so that it can net KO's and switch out again. Even though these attacks are coming off of a measly 95 special attack, with choice specs, it can dent a lot of tanks such as Heatran and AV Magearna. It's been an extremely large help in taking down pokemon that could threaten Zygarde.

4. Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick
Hidden Power Grass

Explanation: I was originally running Azumarill here, but I noticed that my team had almost no speed if the opposing team had a Tapu Lele, so I looked for a nice, fast fire type as my team was struggling against Serperior and the like too. Meet Blacephalon. This thing is terrifying. It's special attack is 151. What more could you ask for? At the beginning, I was running choice specs, but if things like Volcarona or Dragonite got set up, they would plow through my team. So I switched it up with the choice scarf smogon set. EVs are pretty self-explanatory; to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are stabs, Trick really hurts things like Ferrothorn, Chansey, Toxapex, and the like, and HP Grass makes it so if a Mega Swampert comes in, I have a pretty good chance of 1HKOing it.

5. Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Fly
Swords Dance
Stealth Rock

Explanation: What team would be an OU team without Lando? I knew from day 1 that I needed Lando (Don't worry, I'm not that stupid), and he was the 3rd pokemon added to the team. I had the normal lead set at first, but then I realized that it was too predictable. I quickly combed through the sets, and I found the Flyinium Z set. When they get damage on me, and they don't see leftovers, they're going to think that it's a Rocky Helmet Lando, but when they assumed that, they won't be that cautious around it. When I see that, I'll Swords Dance and they'll see their impending doom. No, but really, with that little nuke, I can take out threats like Greninja, Excadrill, and Ninetales so they won't be able to set up their hazards again. Earthquake is mandatory stab, Swords Dance is to just amp up the nuke, and Stealth Rock is amazing on almost any team to help weaken other 'mons. EVs are to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Impish means that Lando can survive an Ice Punch from Mega Swampert.

6. Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Scald
Recover
Haze
Toxic Spikes

Explanation: Ah, the two titans of OU; Lando-T and Toxapex. Toxapex is the ultimate defensive wall, and can set up Toxic Spikes reliably. It forms a defensive backbone with Zygarde and Scizor, as well as another one with Lando-T. Scald is a good move that has a decent chance of burning and crippling physical attackers such as Lando-T and Lopunny. Haze is to stop 'mons who might try to set up on Toxapex, such as Celesteela and the like. Recover is to provide some longevity, same with Black Sludge. EVs are to stay alive as long as possible, and the nature too.

Replays:
(These probably won't be good battles, as I'm low-tier, but enjoy!)
Battle number 1
Battle number 2
Battle number 3

So, yeah! I'd say that my team struggles against Lando-T, Celesteela, and all the sorts. (Or maybe it's just me tbh)
Please help!

Last edited:
Hi buddie, recently i saw this so i'm going to try to help you, first of all i encourage you to add extra elements to the thread to make it easier to read and prettier to look at, like sprites of the pokémon you are using (https://fulllifegames.com/Tools/SpriteConverter/) and the import of the team (https://pokepast.es/).

Now getting into the rate, i like the concept of the team, based on zygarde + steel. But I don't like the zygarde's set, DD works better with a 252 atk, spe spread tbh, you don't need that bulk without coil as i see it (unless you really really need to survive x thing). I also don't like scizor as a defogger, with that ev spread isn't going to kill weakened mons like you say in your post, and heatran is one of the most common rockers, and threatens your team so maybe isn't the best option. You are using koko to handle zygarde/lando , "maybe" the answer to this is a ground resist, not a ground weakness (i know dazzling/hp ice damages them hard). And tbh koko doesn't destroy rain teams because of ferrothorn/m pert/magearna...
With scizor as the hazard control of the team blacephalon maybe isn't the best option, heatran pressures a lot and you will have a difficult time getting rid of rocks. Your team struggles a lot vs physical sweepers so you could change the lando spread to make it more deffensive.
And for Toxapex, it would pair well with the team as the main water resist if mega swampert wasn't such a big issue for the team.

Threats:
Heatran (Stealth Rocks): Pressures a lot and z flash cannon (modest) does a lot to zygarde.
Zygarde : Mainly the banded set, the team is too much dependent on lando.
Kartana + Magnezone : Once scizor is trapped and killed by zone kartana can start spamming leaf blade and win.
Mega Swampert : 6-0
Mega Medicham : You have a revenge killer that it's okay but it is still a threat.
Tapu Lele : If it has coverage for scizor it can 6-0 you.
Mega Charizard X : Especially with dragon dance, lando can't stop zard without bulk.
Gyarados : Your only answer is koko that it is OHKOed by +1 Earthquake.
Serperior : Leaf Storm + Hp Fire just sweeps the team.

Changes i Suggest:
: Zygarde could be used as a wallbreaker instead of a DD Sweeper, as i see it is how it better works with an offensive steel type paired with it, also the rest talk band set allows you to switch a lot of times against Heatran without fearing even will o wisp or a Z Flash Cannon.
>>
: Mega Mawile should work over Scizor as SD wallbreaker, Sucker can be really useful and Mawi can win against mons that Zygarde struggles with like Clefable and Tapu Bulu. I made the spread with enough evs to always outspeed clefa and added a lot of bulk to ensure you can make SD (it can be changed into an AOA Mawi set with Fire Fang).
: Landorus-T should have more bulk to allow you to switch into some threats, you may only need enough speed to outspeed modest tran, and hp ice coverage is very
cool here.
scarf.png
>>
specs.png
: I replaced Blacephalon as the main speed control element of your team addind a Tornadus-T which also is a great pivot and adds the hazard control you needed and giving tapu koko the scarf, this way it can works as a revenge killer for threats like medi, kyurem, gyarados or serperior.

>>
:Finally i replaced Toxapex with Tangrowth as your water resist, to help against Mega Swampert and Zygarde mainly.

Import:

https://pokepast.es/9d44bc8acef72f09

Hope you like it :D

Last edited:
Thanks Sink, I'll definitely try out the team, but there's just one thing; why would I run a sleep talk set with choice band zygarde? As well as the Koko set, running roost with choice scarf seems redundant. Anyways, thanks!

Last edited:
Koko is very eash to chip, thanks to hazards mainly, but it has the ability to force out mons like greninja or tornadus-t, you can roost on the turn they switch out and then switch your koko after that.

Rest talk zygarde allows you to always switch against heatran, because even if it burns you, you still have rest to maintain it as your main tran switch, and sleep talk prevent pokes like toxapex or heatran to stand in front of slept zygarde to put hazards up for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)