SM OU My first OU Team - Help is appreciated

My First Ever OU TEAM
By AdamColeBayBay

Introduction

Hey there! I´ve been playing on Pokemon Showdown for quite some time now but I never built Teams on my own before. I basically copied what seemed interesting and this is the first Team I built without any help. It looks like a pretty standard offensive OU Team and I guess that is exactly what it is. It might not be very creative but I´m trying to do my best to improve as a player and this team isn´t really difficult to play, so it´s fine to me. Despite having decent success with it, I wouldn´t mind a little help from more experienced players. I´ve been experimenting a lot and this is what I finally came up with:

Team Building Process

I decided to use Ash-Greninja and Volcarona as it seemed they have pretty good offensive Synergy. Volcarona can check Grass and Steel Types like Ferrothorn, Tapu-Bulu, Mega-Mawile and Magearna, all of which stand in Ash-Greninja´s way. Also, once it´s counters are removed it can sweep entire Teams thanks to QD. Ash-Greninja on the other hand provides Spikes support and can deal with faster threats thanks to Water-Shuriken. In Addition it can beat Heatran, which is one of Volcarona´s biggest Counters.

Both Volcarona and Ash-Greninja need ways to switch-in safely. So I thought an additional VoltTurn-Core consisting of Magearna and Landorus-T would make sense. Landorus-T can set-up Stealth Rocks as well which puts even more pressure on the opponent. Magearna can not only switch into almost every Special Attacker, but especially beat opposing Ash-Greninja, which the Rest of the Team struggles to accomplish.

I added Kyurem-B as a Wallbreaker, giving the other Mons on the Team a better time to sweep through defensive Teams and providing better overall coverage. I have a feeling there might be something better to take it´s place tho, considering this is the spot that I changed a lot while testing.

Kartana is supposed to be an additional Revengekiller/Cleaner besides Ash-Greninja. It can deal with Unaware Walls and provides very important Defog support.

In-Depth Explanation

Ricochet (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
-
Spikes

Ash-Greninja is the main Revenger and Late-Game Cleaner of the Team. It comes in to punish weakend foes with Water-Shuriken, transforming into it´s more powerfull Form. Later on in the Game it´s usually brought in by U-Turn or Voltswitch, as it struggles to hard-switch into even neutral attacks.
The Set is very Standard. Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse are the main STAB-Moves, Water Shuriken provides priority and Spikes are used to take advantage of predicted Switches. Timid Nature, max SpA, max Spe and Choice Specs are used to hit as fast and powerful as possible.

Burn It Down (Volcarona) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is used as a Setup Sweeper that can beat Ash-Greninja´s Counters. It doesn´t appreciate Stealth Rock at all tho, so it cannot always switch-in. It´s brought into rather passive Pokemon like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn or Clefable, which cannot beat it, to give it a chance to boost itself with Quiver Dance.
Quiver Dance is mandatory as a Boost Move. Flamethrower is the most reliable Fire STAB-Move and Psychic along with Psychium-Z gives it an option to beat Toxapex, which would otherwise completely wall it and the Majority of the Team as well. On the last Slot I decided to go with HP Ground, since Heatran is one of the most common switch-ins to Volcarona and I didn´t want to waste the Quiver Dance Boosts every time it switches in. Bug Buzz seemed unnecessary since Ash-Greninja already beats Psychic-Types with Dark Pulse. The EV Spread lets Volcarona outspeed Jolly Excadrill to OHKO it with Flamethrower before it gets OHKO´ed by Rock Slide. The Rest is invested into physical defense to make Volcarona more Bulky and let it burn physical Attackers with Flame Body.

Ronaldinho (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Earthquake
-
U-Turn

Landorus-T supports the Team with Stealth Rock and Defog to make Things easier for Volcarona especially. It also acts as a Pivot thanks to U-Turn. Earthquake is mandatory. The EV Spread lets it take physical hits even better, which in combination with Intimidate, lets it switch in quite often throughout the Match. 144+ Speed let it outpace Timid Heatran.

Ariana Grande (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Magearna is another Pivot that can switch into the likes of Ash-Greninja, Tapu-Koko and Tapu-Lele. Fleur Cannon is the STAB-Move, Volt Switch is there to generate Momentum. Ice Beam beats Gliscor and Landorus-T. Focus Blast is used to hit Ferrothorn and Heatran. I don´t use Iron Head since I already have ways to deal with Clefable and Magearna. 104 Def EVs let it survive Earthquake from Lando after Stealth Rock, so it can retaliate with Ice Beam. The Rest is invested into SpD to take hits better in combination with AV.

Y2J (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Break the Walls Down! No seriously, as already mentioned Kyurem-B is used as a Wallbreaker to punch holes in the opposing Team early on thanks to it´s high Attack Stats and very good Coverage Options. Fusion Bolt mainly hits Toxapex and Celesteela, Ice Beam is a STAB-Move that hits Lando, Gliscor, Tornadus etc. for super effective Damage. HP Fire is for Scizor and Ferro though I thought about replacing that with Stone Edge. Roost is used as Recovery and Life-Orb boosts both physical and special attacks. EV Spread is Standard.

Lunatic Fringe (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog

I felt like I needed a Scarfer on the Team to reliably revengekill. Kartana does that Job well, also having a second Defogger isn´t a bad Thing. After all Volcarona and Kyurem-B are severely hurt by Stealth Rocks. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike are STAB-Moves, Sacred Sword is there for the coverage. Max Atk and Max Spe along with a Jolly Nature is very standard again and just lets it hit as fast and hard as possible.

Final Part
As for now I´m fine with the Team, but I´m not really experienced as a player, so I might be wrong about that. I still have no Mega on the Team, but I don´t see what I can run here, maybe there are any suggestions considering that. Feel free to criticize the Team-Building. Every bit of Help is appreciated. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS!

I would however look into how your teams functions against well played fire types because just from looks it seems that w/out greninja thay can almost spam fire type moves with little to no resistance, maybe look into a different scarfer like keldo or lati-as/os to help with the fire problem, the lati's can also defog as you mention with kartana

I would however look into how your teams functions against well played fire types because just from looks it seems that w/out greninja thay can almost spam fire type moves with little to no resistance, maybe look into a different scarfer like keldo or lati-as/os to help with the fire problem, the lati's can also defog as you mention with kartana
Yeah Fire Types really pose a threat to my Team. Thank you for that!

Cool build, but as Archangel2713 mentioned, you don't have any way to check fire types, most specifically Heatran. Something to consider is opting for Gliscor over Landorus Therian. This improves your Heatran matchup, as well as somewhat helping you vs Toxapex.

Magearna also looks annoying so I would suggest switching out Ice Beam over to Iron Head. This will allow you to 1v1 Shift Gear varients of Magearna that bother your team. Another thing is adjusting your spread on Magearna to the standard 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe. This allows you to be somewhat safer vs opposing Magearna, because you don't really need to 1v1 Landorus with Magearna. You have Ash Greninja to shurkien through it, as well as now Gliscor and KyB to threaten it with Toxic and Ice Beam, respectively.

Also, give Volcarona Bug Buzz, so it can actually dent Tyranitar, as well as changing Psychium + Psychic to Buginium + Bug Buzz, as you have enough ways to get around Toxapex with Gliscor, Spikes, and Fusion Bolt from KyB.

On a final note, change Hidden Power Fire to Earth Power so you aren't as annoyed by Rotom Wash. Hope you have fun and good luck!

Here's the import with the changes: https://pokepast.es/7d711bedddacb19c

Last edited:
Cool build, but as Archangel2713 mentioned, you don't have any way to check fire types, most specifically Heatran. Something to consider is opting for Gliscor over Landorus Therian. This improves your Heatran matchup, as well as somewhat helping you vs Toxapex.

Magearna also looks annoying so I would suggest switching out Ice Beam over to Iron Head. This will allow you to 1v1 Shift Gear varients of Magearna that bother your team. Another thing is adjusting your spread on Magearna to the standard 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe. This allows you to be somewhat safer vs opposing Magearna, because you don't really need to 1v1 Landorus with Magearna. You have Ash Greninja to shurkien through it, as well as now Gliscor and KyB to threaten it with Toxic and Ice Beam, respectively.

Also, give Volcarona Bug Buzz, so it can actually dent Tyranitar, as well as changing Psychium + Psychic to Buginium + Bug Buzz, as you have enough ways to get around Toxapex with Gliscor, Spikes, and Fusion Bolt from KyB.

On a final note, change Hidden Power Fire to Earth Power so you aren't as annoyed by Rotom Wash. Hope you have fun and good luck!

Here's the import with the changes: https://pokepast.es/7d711bedddacb19c
Hey, thanks a lot for the help! I'm gonna try the Team you suggested. I was gonna try out Gliscor anyway because of the reliable Recovery and Status Immunity, but Lando just seemed more standard. So thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)