SM OU Mowing and Regenerating (Offense)

Hi everyone, this is my try at building a capable and fun OU team.
I've played quite a bit with this team, and feel it's got potential, only I'm not a great player, so it only got me to around 1400 on my test account, so far.

So, here's the team:

Orlando(rus) (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Tomb

In my opinion, Landorus is a beast at leading teams. I chose this set in particular as I think it fits the team's needs quite well. It can set up stealth rocks in any circumstance and sometimes surprise Greninja by OHKOing it with Explosion.
I feel there's not much else to say about this set - it is a tried and tested Smogon set - and I feel it fits the leader role perfectly well within this team.

Sorry (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

The first Regenerator of the team, Toxapex is the main Greninja and Rotom-W switch-in, which walls them forever with toxic + recover, if they didn't pivot out. Rotom's Volt Switch is easily shrugged off by Regenerator, which makes this mon a very consistent check.
I have tinkered with a few other options in this slot, but in those situations, I always found myself really feeling the absence of this bulk. I sometimes let it stay in against Zapdos, in order to poison it. Zapdos and Koko cannot OHKO this set with their electric attacks, and, as such, I can consistently get them poisoned before switching out into Lando to absorb Koko's Volt Switch.
Pex is a great mon, and I think it's bulk compliments the team very well, and it definitely helps against many matchups.

Karzan (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Kartana is such a great mon.
This thing is normally used to either revenge kill Heatran, the ballsy Keldeo that stays in, Fini, Lele and many other mons that it can one shot easily. It can be difficult to make use of Beast Boost, as after getting a kill, it is unlikely to be locked into a super effective move against the mon that comes in. The most common example of this is knocking out a mon with sacred sword or leaf blade and stuff like Tangrowth, Celesteela or Zapdos switching in, forcing Kartana to leave.
This set is fast and hits hard, and is personally my favorite, since once able to stack Beast Boosts, it becomes unstoppable.

What's a therian (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Defog

Even though Torn can't reliably check Lando, thanks to Stone Edge, HP Ice is in the set to surprise it, as well as Garchomps and Gliscors. I don't feel like Rocky Helmet is the perfect choice, but I cannot think of any other great alternative.
Hurricane is also questionable, as it misses most of the time for me, and I have yet to have found great opportunities to use it, other than the rare Hawlucha it gets to connect with.
I feel as this mon really shines as a great partner for Toxapex. I usually switch this in to absorb an Earthquake that would otherwise KO Pex, and hit the attacker with a very fast HP Ice, which some times kills them, if their hurt by poison, and most times forces a switch, which I then answer with U-Turn into a threat (most times Mawile).
Regenerator on both mons cements the synergy very well, as it gives consistency to the combo, and let's me perform it many times throughout a match, with obvious care, as Torn is very frail.

Mowy the Mower (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Now, on to the star of the team.
I was very hesitant to use Mawile outside of a Trick Room team, as I felt as if I couldn't make it work very well. Boy, was I wrong.
Mowy here is the bane of all Ferrothorns and Scizors, more so than any other fire type mon I have ever used.
Usually my opponent will let me set up a Swords Dance for free on Ferrothorn, only to find that +2 Fire Fang OHKOs said Ferrothorn and the Scizor they have in the back. Then, Sucker Punch and Fire Fang proceed to wreak havoc against any unprepared foes. With a bit of good predictions, Play Rough can be used to OHKO Garchomp, as most times they just use Stealth Rocks, predicting Mawile to switch out. This set is also able to tank an Earthquake from said Garchomp and OHKOing it with Play Rough, if need be, so Play Rough is usually a very good choice against Garchomps because even in the rare chance they switch out, it still hits neutral foes for very good damage.
Mowile is very, very versatile, and I feel it makes this team come alive, since it can be a wallbreaker or a revenge killer, as the situation commands.

Uber in disguise (Kyurem-Black) @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Finally, we have Kyurem-Black.
I needed a strong Z-Move user for the team, and while I could have slapped Flyinum Z on Torn and explore other options here, I felt that Kyurem would fill the role of Toxapex and flying mons killer, as well as providing a monstrous Subzero Slammer, that wrecks anything that doesn't resist it.
Kyurem is a very straight forward mon, and I utilize it as I mentioned before, and in some situations as a potent neutral damage hole puncher, as it can eat hits and fire off powerful coverage in Earth Power, that 2HKOs Heatrans, and Fusion Bolt, for Keldeo and other water types.

---------- ---------- ---------- Pokepaste ---------- ---------- ----------

That is it for the team, now on to the Threat List:

Celesteela:
I cannot deal with Celesteela. This mon is always my biggest concern when laddering, for the sole fact that it can wall my team, while being tickled by my mons. The only thing that can actually kill a celesteela in this team is Fire Fang, and even that doesn't OHKO, putting Mawile vulnerable to Flamethrower.

Tapu Lele: Lele can be hard, since Specs variants can easily roll through my team. The only Lele check is Smart Strike, and if Kartana is dead once this thing starts pressing buttons, it's most likely gg.

Those are the two biggest threats I can think of right now.
As I ladder, I tend to find some teams that are harder than others, but so far no team has really 6-0'd this team, as it can fight back reliably most of the time.

Conclusion
I feel like this team has a lot of potential, and the truth is, I am proud of what it can do.
One thing that I must comment on is that almost all of the pokémon have Smogon sets, and I know those can be suboptimal in certain cases... But since I am not very good at analysing threats and thinking of what to change, I decided this RMT would me my best bet in that regard.

That's it! Thanks for reading, and please give me your suggestions and changes you would make to the team. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and as this is the first team I put together from scratch, I will take this as a learning experience, and I hope I can get a better insight into this fun team building business!

Hey jayemcrux, this is a pretty cool team, though I definitely feel like it could be improved. My biggest issue with this team is the fact that it just feels kinda awkward, seeing as this team looks like you're trying to combine aspects of both balance and hyper offence with bulky offence, which just doesn't work here as not only are you playing a 5 v 6 game most of the time, but you're also losing a lot of momentum just by having a pex on this build. Additionally, this team is super weak to the likes of Heatran, Mega Alakazam, Tornadus, most variants of Magearna, Landorus and Kartana, which really pressure this team and forces you to play with nothing but a disadvantage. There's a bit more that can be said but that covers the basis, so let's see what we can do with this team.

• >
So my first thought was to immediately replace Toxapex with a Rotom-Wash. As I said earlier, this team really struggles with Heatran, Tornadus and Scarf Landorus, so having something reliable to pivot into these mons was absolutely necessary. Additionally, this change grants you with a much less passive and momentum sapping slot which also provides this team with some nice volt switch support. Additionally, this also lets you play around versus annoying breakers such as Tornadus, Gliscor, and Mega Tyranitar a lot more easily, while also providing a secondary pivot to bring versus Ash Greninja. Speaking of Ash Gren, the EV spread allows you to survive two pre-transformation Dark Pulses after rocks, whilst also avoiding the 3hko from Heatran's Magma Storm and outspeeding Crawdaunt and Mega Ttar.

• >
I'll be frank when I say that Kyub really felt awkward here, as it didn't really add anything outside of a weakness to rocks and fodder versus Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, so I ended up replacing it for an Assault Vest Magearna. This change heavily improves the matchup versus the aforementioned Psychics, while also helping out versus Ash Greninja and Clefable, which would otherwise be an incredibly troublesome matchup. Another pretty cool thing about Magearna is that it provides this team with additional Volt Switch support and whittle down at stuff like Ferrothorn, Toxapex and Heatran to help Mawile break much more consistently. The spread allows you to outspeed Clefable, which can really be annoying for this build since I ended up replacing Toxapex, so having the ability to outspeed it and potentially flinch it is incredible for this team.

• >
Now at this point, this team was still very much pressured by Heatran and really just felt passive, so what I ended up replacing Lando with a Garchomp. While you could realistically go with an offensive Landorus here, having another mon to pivot into Heatran is incredibly crucial, even if it does come at the cost of the stall matchup. Anyways, this change not only provides the team with a much more reliable form of rocks, but it also vastly improves your overall matchup versus balance, which was incredibly reliant on Mawile. Additionally, it also synergises fantastically with both Kartana and Mawile, as you're able to remove or cripple mons such as Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Zapdos in order for Kartana to clean or for Mawile to break consistently. This is complemented by Rough Skin, which lets you slowly punish stuff like Landorus, Tornadus and Bulu, which stops them from being as consistent Kart answers as they should.

• Spread Change
I ended up making Tornadus slightly bulkier in order to take on threatening mons such as Kartana, Landorus-T, Medicham and Tapu Bulu a lot more consistently; the spread allows you to survive a protean Greninja ice beam or a Medicham ice punch from full, 2hko defensive Landorus and outspeed scarf Magnezone and Tyranitar, which makes playing around these threats a lot more easier, especially in the early game. You can also run Taunt over U-Turn if you don't find the stall matchup to be as consistent, but that's entirely up to you.

• Set Change
Since this team really wanted to punish both Celesteela and Mega Scizor / Ferrothorn in the one slot, I ended up changing Mawile's set to an AoA set, which not only improved your overall matchup versus the aforementioned, but also allowed you to retain your fantastic stall matchup and basically synergises with Garchomp and Kartana a lot more than SD Fire Fang does. Alternatively, you might like to run Brick Break over Fire Fang to help punish Heatran, which would take pressure off of Garchomp and Rotom-Wash and let Kartana spam Leaf Blade a lot more liberally. tbh Fire Fang and Brick Break are completely interchangeable, so pick your poison. e: completely forgot to mention that I've changed the spread; you can now outspeed everything up to Skarmory whilst still surviving a +1 Hawlucha High Jump Kick.

click for the importable!
And that should be everything! If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM on discord at curi#2758 and I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. Good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)