Move Analysis:Encore

Encore
PP-5/8
Normal
Acc- 100%

Encore is one of the most annoying moves ever. What it does is that it makes your opponent repeat the move it used last for 2-6 turns. Faster pokemon can abuse this and set up. Encore can even go through subs so there is no protection. Encore's effect is cancelled out when the encoree switches.

STRATEGIES USING ENCORE

Raichu@Leftovers
~Encore
~Focus Punch
~Thunderbolt
~Surf/Thunder wave/Substitute

Basically you encore a recovery/stat upping/status move and then focus punch while they are stuck using a non-attacking move or if they switch. Surf for ground types like donphan, thunder wave for status, ans sub to block status, subpunch, and/or encore status.

Alakazam@Leftovers
~Encore
~Calm Mind
~Substitute/Fire Punch
~Psychic

You switch in on something like recover and encore that move or you sub on a status and encore it. Whether they switch or stay, you can set up by using Calm Mind. Then after a few calm minds, you hit the foe hard with STABBED psychic. Fire punch for gross and such.

Wobbufett@Leftovers
~Encore
~Counter
~Mirror Coat
~Safeguard

What makes this Wobby so annoying is his trait- Shadow Tag. Shadow Tag prevents the foe from switching. This is essential for its set. Whether the opponent attacks you or raises its stats it will probably go down. If they uses a move like calm mind, you encore it and switch to a pokemon like gyarados to set up with dragon dance. If they use a move like thunderbolt, you encore and you then are 100% certain to mirror coat the next turn. Note than you can baton pass out of shadow tag. Encore is cancelled out when they switch but they can't switch whith shadow tag so wobby is deadly. Safeguard to block status.

Mr.Mime@leftovers
~Encore
~Psychic
~Substitute
~Baton pass

Basically you sub to block status and encore the move. You then pass the substitute to another pokemon. Calm Mind could go somewhere if you like.

Jumpluff@leftovers
~Encore
~Substitute
~Leech Seed
~Sleep powder

Annoypluff. This is great for causing switches, which in combo with spikes, causes a lot of indirect damage. Encore is there to cause even more switching fun.

Shuckle@leftovers
~Wrap
~Protect
~Toxic
~Encore

Lol shuckle. This is a mini-wobby. Wrap so the foe can't switch out and toxicstall it. Encore a sub and switch to another pokemon. Encore a will- o -wisp and switch to heracross. Sucks, doesn't it? He is still adorable, anyway.

Other pokemon that learn encore are clefable, alakazam, machamp, victreebell, dewgong, togetic, azumarill, sunflora, slaking, plusle, minun, illumise, swalot, spinda, cactuurne, and walrein.

ENCORE COUNTERS
-Switching. Switching, as said before, cancels out encore's effect. This however is bittersweet since it allows the opponent to set up and you may take spikes damage. This is why wobby is the best encorer.
-Taunt. The taunt user has to be faster. Taunt makes the encorer no be able to use encore.
-Note that encore can still go through subs.

AFTERWORD BY MAMMOTH
Encore is probably one of the top five most annoying moves ever. faster pokemon abuse this by encoring you so you never have a chance to attack. it forces switches and allows you to set up easy. Encore is awesome and deadly.

Funny story, I once used Ingrain with a non speed boosted Smeargle....Alakzam switches in and uses encore. Then he calm minds and beats my whole team.

Remember with ingrain you can't switch out.

EAT MY SHORT said:
Encore Dewgong/Walrein+Trapich is a good combo in UU if you want to kill eletric types.
Yep, except for the omnipresent scenario which -always- seems to bite my ass when encoring to trapinch; "Trapinch, go!" "Pokemon used Thunderbolt! Pokemon's encore ended."

On a more relevant note; Add Machamp with Focus Punch and Encore, it's mucho sexy.

Not that many different Pokémon learn Encore, if you're writing a guide on a move you might as well add all Pokémon that learn it. Machamp plays a lot differently than Raichu, too.

Togetic@Leftovers
- Encore
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Wish

Is also a sexy poke to use for UU. Togetic actually has very good defenses, and between encore, TW and Wish (or Recover, for less utility but more survivability) it can last a good while, while adding good support to your team. Clefable can run the same set with good success.

On the right team, any Encore Pokemon could work. I'm testing a Cacturne with Encore, Spikes, Sub, and FP now, and it works perfectly in my Christmas team, aside from the x4 Bug weakness that kills my team.

IMO, Encore for any Pokemon is a game altering move. Unfortunately, the only two fundamentally sound Encore Pokemon in the OU scene are Alakazam and Jumpluff. There are a few Encorers with potential in OU, like Mr. Mime. Unfortunately again, Encore is best and most effectively used in UU.

--- Psych

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
man, Encore Alakazam is so sexy for stat-boosters as it can even outrun Raikou, and with Sandstream/Knock Off negating Leftovers you can kill them.

Ah, encore. My favourite move - and wanting to comment on it is enough for me to register.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the counters section. Switching is correct, yes, but specifically encore's big weakness is when it runs out.

Say I'm using encore raichu and I switch it into a snorlax curse (or lax switches in, doesn't think Raichu is gonna stay in and uses curse while Raichu subs). Now I encore, obviously. So, 2-6 turns of chipping into laxes health later with t-bolt and increasingly guarded focus punches, encore runs out. Now what? Encore will keep snorlax trapped in the stat boost, so of course he wants to switch. If you use encore and they do switch, they got a free switch to their best counter, oops. If you ever don't use encore though, they might have choose to rest or attack. Now we've got a cursed lax at fullhealth/attacking. Neither is desirable and the encore line of defence is gone.

Because you don't want this happening, encore often means a free switch if you're trying to set up during encore turns or in situations like the above. On the topic of stat ups, let's not forget speed bosters - if the pokemon is slower than you on the turn they use the speed boost, but faster after it, you have no window to encore the stat up, which is inconveniant, especially as you really want to encore exeggutors sunny day. (Mind you, this is why we sent in jumpluff on exeggutor and encore his sunny day with your own chlrophll)

One last thing, you might wanna add pressure to counters =/ I've sat encoring cmcune before, chipping at it's health to get the KO while it CM's up. I get a little unlucky with encore length and before I know it I'm outta pp and it gets to have it's way with me ^^;

I'm still trying to formulate some kind of team based around exploiting encore but I've not had an awful lot of luck so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)