Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

So with pseudo-RNG revealed for Gen VII.
Is there a reliable way to determine your egg seed in SM that doesn't require PkHex or hatching 127 Magikarp? I don't have access to the former or the time (read: patience) for the latter.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
So with pseudo-RNG revealed for Gen VII.
Is there a reliable way to determine your egg seed in SM that doesn't require PkHex or hatching 127 Magikarp? I don't have access to the former or the time (read: patience) for the latter.
Afaik, no. Considering the whole thing is still in a fledgling status and everyone still has questions, something might turn up given some time. This thread/guide seems to be actively maintained, so I'd keep an eye on that (or the Japanese researchers directly since they seem to be spearheading the whole thing).

So I just hatched a shiny, flawless Grubbin using the guide posted above. Way, way, way more tedious than Gen 4 and 5, but doable. Now I see my next shiny is ~15,000 frames away. Does that mean I can't hatch another shiny until I generate 500-600 more eggs?

Hi guys:

Does anybody know if stationary RNG will ever be possible in S/M? Obviously this is an early time to ask, but RNG has been irrelevant for a while and I was wondering if we might see a resurgence and some real effort put into reviving it.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys:

Does anybody know if stationary RNG will ever be possible in S/M? Obviously this is an early time to ask, but RNG has been irrelevant for a while and I was wondering if we might see a resurgence and some real effort put into reviving it.
No it won't, for the same reasons as XY/ORAS - the seed required for Encounter RNG requires nanosecond precision. The only reason that it is possible with Eggs in SM is because they are generated using an entirely different seed which is controlled relatively easily.

So I just hatched a shiny, flawless Grubbin using the guide posted above. Way, way, way more tedious than Gen 4 and 5, but doable. Now I see my next shiny is ~15,000 frames away. Does that mean I can't hatch another shiny until I generate 500-600 more eggs?
If you're using the Japanese tool then if the second tab says it takes 500 eggs to get to your desired frame/close to it then yes it will take another 500 eggs. What I do is update the TSV check list with the TSVs list here on smogon (could also add reddit ones as well) to help increase my chance to find a seed that I could at least get hatched by someone instead of myself.

Hi guys,

I don't know if you are aware but a rom of the 10 ANNIV UK distribution have been made public really quite recently. (I believe it was released for Christmas)
Therefore, it is now possible to get, in a legit way, Suicune, Raikou or Entei with good IV without using Pokemon Colosseum.

Since Pokemon Colosseum seems to be very hard to RNG, I was wondering if it would be possible to RNG the 10 ANNIV UK distribution.
From the little I know on RNG it seems to me the distributed pokemons are created on the distribution card and not the RSEFRGL card that receives it. I have done some little researches on the topic and some guys are thinking it fallows the same mechanic as the shiny Pikachu distribution, meaning it is indeed the distribution card doing the creation process. Plus, this mechanic has some limited outputs because of the simplicity of the algorithm generating the pokemon; in the end it might be impossible to generate a pokemon with perfect IVs. (I could post the link to the discussion if it not considered as advertising another Pokemon forum)

Again, I have to say I have little knowledge on all this, so I may have totally misunderstood all the process.
Anyway, what I am quite sure is that the creation process does not correspond to anything actually available in RNG reporter. (I have like 5 suicunes thanks to this rom and none of them have IVs that correspond to the first 100 000 frames of any III gen method)

Since all this was made public quite recently I don't expect someone to come directly with a practical solution. However it could be possible it already exists since some Pokemon opinion leaders already had access to the rom for a long time, so do not feel shy to bring on the topic some people you think might have some information about it.
In any case, I think this subject is worthwhile thinking since you can get some pretty cool pokemons from this distribution and you can get them infinitely. I think it would be great, for example, to be able to get easily different Suicune with different IV and natures for different movesets.
As an absolute fan of Emerald and the Battle Frontier I'm personnaly really excited about the idea of using these monsters to get my way through the BF advanture.

I guess it would be interesting to create a specific post dedicated to this research. Since I am a total noob on Smogon forum, this is my first post, I'll let you guys decide what is the best.
Also, I would like to apologies if an administrator thinks it is not the right place for posting my question. As the "research on former generation RNG" thread seems to be dead I thaught here was the place to ask.
Finaly I hope talking about distribution cartridge is not against Smogon policy first because I'll feel stupid but most of all because, I'll really feel frustrated not to be able to get infos about this.

Thank you for your help!

Where in the PPRNG source code is the code for Unova Link parameter finding? I didn't find it in DS Parameter Finder, so I have no idea where it is, was planning to port it to rngreporter.

Also, i don't know if this is relevant at all, but after I advanced exactly 5,000 frames after using the pc, i decided that I would see what exactly the gen 4 pc does to your frame (this was all done in HGSS):

Using the Move function to swap a Chatot from party for a Stunky: Advanced from 17 to 28, however 3 NPCS in the pokemon center moved so I wouldn't regard this as something I would recommend anyone use.

Using the Move function to put that Chatot back in my party: 0 advances.

Using the Withdraw function to withdraw a Lotad: 0 advances.

Using the Deposit function to put the Lotad back in the box: 0 advances

Using the Move function to switch my active box: 0 advances.

I have legitimately 0 idea how I managed to get a precise 5,000 advance, or if it was purely me poorly putting in my Elm responses.

Hi guys:

No it won't, for the same reasons as XY/ORAS - the seed required for Encounter RNG requires nanosecond precision. The only reason that it is possible with Eggs in SM is because they are generated using an entirely different seed which is controlled relatively easily.
While this post was made more than a month ago, I'm bumping it because there's a lot of stuff going on right now. RNG abuse might be possible on SM in the very near future.
Stay tuned.

For myself and others: Are the mechanics of Synchronize in Sun & Moon's RNG known yet? It's hard as hell to get a specific Hidden Power IV spread under ~20 minutes most of the time, and knowing how Synchronize affects it would be fantastic.

The times I've used Synchronize, I've been off by quite a few frames, so it would be helpful to know if it's possible to use Synchronize reliably at all in Gen 7 RNG abuse.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
For myself and others: Are the mechanics of Synchronize in Sun & Moon's RNG known yet? It's hard as hell to get a specific Hidden Power IV spread under ~20 minutes most of the time, and knowing how Synchronize affects it would be fantastic.

The times I've used Synchronize, I've been off by quite a few frames, so it would be helpful to know if it's possible to use Synchronize reliably at all in Gen 7 RNG abuse.
Not 100% as I haven't tested it myself, but I was talking to user <Totes> earlier and apparently it is possible to use Synchs.
<totes> said:
Synchronize works if you check "consider blinking process option"

Not 100% as I haven't tested it myself, but I was talking to user <Totes> earlier and apparently it is possible to use Synchs.
Thanks for the info. I managed to get it to work, although there was one time when I got the non-synchronized version of the target for whatever reason.

I'm curious about random encounters like Ultra Beasts now. Does anyone who's managed to successfully abuse the RNG for a UB know what kind of frame deviation there is from stationary encounters, or if there is a definite frame deviation? I've read Blastoise's guide and whenever I've tried to capture a Celesteela in Haina Desert, in an area with no NPCs or dust clouds, I've still not landed anywhere near my target frame. Is it more complicated than just subtracting a certain number of frames to account for the 3.2 seconds of Honey use?

EDIT: I realize that may not have been completely clear. What I'm wondering is if I can literally just subtract 96 (or 56 or 63) frames and still use the stationary RNG calc, provided I'm not in an area with a lot of interfering factors?

EDIT: Okay, I am 100% certain now that it's possible to hit a synchronizable frame with a Synchronize Pokemon in lead and the target Pokemon still will not be synchronized. I have had this happen 3 times now. I have absolutely no idea why some frames that are marked to work with Synchronize actually do not synchronize.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Also, it is evidently possible for checking the "Consider blinking process (sync)" box to interfere with Synchronize usage in some cases.

In seed B83545F2, I was aiming for frame 1030 with the aforementioned box checked. My target was Tapu Fini, with 1 NPC.

When I searched by stats, the Tapu Fini I caught appeared to not exist in that seed. Then I unchecked "Consider blinking process (sync)" and saw that I had hit 1030, only without the blinking box checked. Yet I was using a Bold Synchronize Pokemon.

Basically, it seems that, in this case at least, the process of advancing to the target frame was just like it would have been without a Synchronize Pokemon.

Can anyone offer some insight into this? Because my thinking for the past week has been "Need to synchronize natures? Check the blinking box."

Last edited:
Let me get this straight: it's possible to RNG stationary legends in cartridge S/M for any spread + nature combo you want?

What about UB's?

Is smogon developing a guide for Gen 7 RNG, or is there another guide I can follow?

Has anyone RNGed Ultra Beasts, in particular Celesteela? If so, what was your pre-timer? Also, did you minus 96 to find your temporary target frame?

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Can you RNG Magearna in SuMo, and can it be done after you've scanned the QR code?
Yes, and yes - the spread is determined when you pick it up, not when you scan the code. (It is also doable without the NTR Plugin mentioned in that guide, however it is significantly harder and I won't be able to help you with it).

Yes, and yes - the spread is determined when you pick it up, not when you scan the code. (It is also doable without the NTR Plugin mentioned in that guide, however it is significantly harder and I won't be able to help you with it).
Ah so,

From what I gathered the NTR plugin is not compatible with cartridge?

Forgive my noob question (I'm not up-to-date with anything gen 7):

With Gen 7 RNG, is it possible on retail? Is it possible to RNG events? Does the save file itself need to be RNG'd, or just the Pokemon?

Thanks in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)