Project Monotype Theorymon [Index]

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Sorry about the late post, I haven't had internet for a few days now but voting is over.

Voting is now over. The winners are:

Tyke's Alolan Dugtrio

Solarblade's Ribombee

Tyke's Magcargo

We randomly picked: solarblade

Cycle 9 will begin later today. Tagging Eien to move this to the Index.

iLlama

approved by scpinion
Rules / Tips:

• Make sure your ideas don't include extreme buffs such as giving the Pokemon Huge Power or an insanely powerful move and +100 Special Attack. Be reasonable.
• When making changes to a Pokemon, don't focus only on improving what the Pokemon already does. You could make it work differently by changing its moves, ability, typing, and let it do more than it normally does.
• Submit your idea in full — include the item, EVs, nature, and moves — using the PS! importable format for readability.
• Give a description on how the changes you made help the Pokemon and the typing. This project is meant to encourage discussion and sketchy posts don't help with that.
• Don't insult other people for their ideas even if you think it's bad. Let the voting period decide that.
• Editing your idea is allowed as long as it's not during the voting period.
• Do not post the same set as other Pokemon. There's no precedent to this, but it's obvious when someone has blatantly copies another user and changes just the EVs.
Stats can be boosted in 10s and each boost counts as 1 change to prevent broken submissions; however, you may boost stats by up to 30 if you do not change anything else.
• Do NOT copy any sets from the previous thread. You will be punished.
• You can only post one submission per Pokemon; you can post a total of three submissions, though (one for each Pokemon on the slate).
Bold or make apparent the changes you make to the Pokemon on the set(example).
• You can only make a maximum of 3 changes to a Pokemon. Each new move counts as one move, as does a new ability and a new typing.
• Have fun!

Cycle 9 Slates:
/
/

Posting Deadline: April 7th 11:59 PM
Voting Deadline: April 9th 11:59 PM

Reminder that you can only submit one Theorymon for each Pokemon. Also remember to check the rules thoroughly - I will not allow any submissions that break them to go through the voting round. Good luck!

Slush Rush Crabominable + 20 Speed

[ BST: 498 (+20) | 97 HP / 132 Atk / 77 Def / 62 SpA / 67 SpD / 63 Spe (+20) ]

Crabominable @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Woo, let's give Ice an actual Hail abuser! With much, MUCH more offensive presence than Alola Sandslash or Beartic, Crabominable can break teams apart with potent Ice / Fighting STAB coverage. With Jolly Nature and +20 speed, Crabominable is able to hit 494 speed in hail, able to outrun base 100 scarves like Victini and other threats like Scarf Excadrill, Scarf Heracross, etc. But while Crab does get some speed with Slush Rush, the idea isn't so much to make Crab a sweeper as it is to give it a usable speed tier for wallbreaking with Choice Banded Sets.
252 Atk Choice Band Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 169-199 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Crabominable Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 178-210 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 288-340 (72.3 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

---

I'll add the rest later

Crabominable + Technician + Ice Shard + Mach Punch

Crabominable @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Ice Hammer

Bypasses low speed by relying on priority Technician moves. Can be a great revenge killer with the great Ice/Fighting offensive coverage. Watch out for Psychic Terrain though, which is why Ice Hammer is an option for the last slot to deal more power (although it probably won't last long against a Psychic team anyway)

Exeggutor-Alola + Chlorophyll + 10 Speed + Earth Power

Exeggutor-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm/Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power/Sleep Powder

Grass/Dragon makes Alolan Exeggutor a great Chlorophyll abuser as it is not as weak to Fire and has access to Flamethrower as well! Speed increase puts it in par with normal Exeggutor, except it will be better at abusing Chlorophyll. Giga Drain is an option to heal Life Orb damage. Earth Power to deal with Heatran. Otherwise, Sleep Powder is nice utility, especially for Dragon teams to incapacitate a troublesome opponent (like a Fairy).

Gumshoos + Extremespeed + Sucker Punch + Normal/Dark

Gumshoos @ Life Orb
Ability: Stakeout
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Super Fang/Earthquake

Extreme Speed for some powerful priority, while Sucker Punch is for Ghosts and mind games with Stakeout. Dark type also protects it from Prankster and makes Ghosts think twice about switching into Extreme Speed- although you'll have to watch out for that x4 Fighting weakness. Pursuit is an option to trap fleeing Ghost/Psychics. Super Fang to break down bulky walls while Earthquake is for Steels.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Crabominable with Fluffy, Drain Punch, and +10 Att (142 Att)

Crabominable @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Ice Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Crabhammer

Basically making crab a solid bulky physical attacker for ice type. Fluffy allows it to take a fair amount of physical attacks, therefore allowing it to abuse a bulk up + drain punch set. It still has terrible special defense, so it's easily taken down. Not to mention being 4x weak to fire technically thanks to fluffy.

Exeggutor-A with Grassy Surge, Parting Shot, and +10 HP (105 HP)
Exeggutor-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm
- Trick Room
- Parting Shot

Grassy surge allows exeggutor-a to be an additional terrain setter beyond tapu bulu. When combined with the boosted hp, and leftovers, it becomes decently bulky outside of ice attacks. This set was made to use for a TR team (lol), basically set TR, use a strong stab, then parting shot out.

Gumshoos Normal/Fighting with Close Combat, and Double Edge
Gumshoos @ Choice Band
Ability: Stakeout
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Honestly, gumshoos is a terrible mon, nothing is going to save him from being terrible. I just gave him two strong STAB moves with fighting type to just generally threaten opposing mons. If you somehow get the opponent to switch, gg @ that mon taking insane amounts of damage from banded stakeout.

iLlama

Voting is now underway!
Be sure to format your votes in this manner:

1. aaa's <pokemon 1>
2. bbb's <pokemon 2>
3. ccc's <pokemon 3>

----------

Gumshoos:

Solarblade's post
Moosical's post

Crabominable:

Tyke's post
Solarblade's post
Moosical's post

Alolan Exeggutor:

Solarblade's post
Moosical's post

Be sure to vote for 1 submission for each pokemon. You may not vote for yourself.
Voting will end on April 10 at approx. 11:59 PM GMT -4.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So uh... pretty hard choice this time... After racking my brain I'll have to go with

Tyke's Crabominable
Solarblade's Exeggutor-a
Solarblade's Gumshoos

iLlama

approved by Eien
Rules / Tips:

• Make sure your ideas don't include extreme buffs such as giving the Pokemon Huge Power or an insanely powerful move and +100 Special Attack. Be reasonable.
• When making changes to a Pokemon, don't focus only on improving what the Pokemon already does. You could make it work differently by changing its moves, ability, typing, and let it do more than it normally does.
• Submit your idea in full — include the item, EVs, nature, and moves — using the PS! importable format for readability.
• Give a description on how the changes you made help the Pokemon and the typing. This project is meant to encourage discussion and sketchy posts don't help with that.
• Don't insult other people for their ideas even if you think it's bad. Let the voting period decide that.
• Editing your idea is allowed as long as it's not during the voting period.
• Do not post the same set as other Pokemon. There's no precedent to this, but it's obvious when someone has blatantly copies another user and changes just the EVs.
Stats can be boosted in 10s and each boost counts as 1 change to prevent broken submissions; however, you may boost stats by up to 30 if you do not change anything else.
• Do NOT copy any sets from the previous thread. You will be punished.
• You can only post one submission per Pokemon; you can post a total of three submissions, though (one for each Pokemon on the slate).
Bold or make apparent the changes you make to the Pokemon on the set(example).
• You can only make a maximum of 3 changes to a Pokemon. Each new move counts as one move, as does a new ability and a new typing.
• Have fun!

Cycle 10 Slates:
/
/

Posting Deadline: May 16th 11:59 PM
Voting Deadline: May 18th 11:59 PM

Reminder that you can only submit one Theorymon for each Pokemon. Also remember to check the rules thoroughly - I will not allow any submissions that break them to go through the voting round. Good luck!

NOTE: For Oricorio, you may use any of its forms as a base to work with.

akaFila

butterscotch love
- Fairy-ly Mienshao -

Base Stats: 65 / 125 / 60 / 95 / 60 / 115(+10)
Mienshao @ Life Orb
Typing: Fighting / Fairy
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-Turn / Stone Edge
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough

Desc/Calcs WIP​

Moosical

big yikes

Mienshao with +10 speed, ghost typing, and parting shot
Base Stats: 65 / 125 / 60 / 95 / 60 / 115(+10)
Mienshao @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z
Typing: Fighting / Ghost
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off / U-turn / Stone Edge
So this is a fun change to mienshao, giving it some potential(?) use. The 115 base speed puts it at a much better speed tier than the awkward 105, allowing it to safely outspeed a fair number of non-scarf and non-boosted mons. I changed its typing to fighting/ghost mainly as a means of helping out ghost type. Ghost type at the current moment has no momentum, and this would help that out a little bit. Taunt relieves some of the pressure on mega-sableye to keep off hazards, and having a strong, fast, fighting stab helps it immensely with the dark and normal match ups. To synergize with regenerator, I decided to give it parting shot. This could work wonders on both of its new typing. You'd be able to more safely switch into set-up sets, such as calm mind m-sableye which has fallen out of favor, or something like calm mind keldeo or double dance terrakion.

Other mons to come.

Part Psychic typing+Zen Headbutt+10 Attack

Stats: 65/135/60/95/60/105
Mienshao @ Life Orb
Typing: Fighting / Psychic
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge / Poison Jab / Knock Off

This is a psuedo Mega Medicham/Gallade in a sense. Similarly, it helps Fighting teams break through Poison and Grass, and giving Psychic another powerful physical sweeper/wallbreaker to abuse. Swords Dance is used to increase it's new 135 base Attack stat even further. Zen Headbutt is an incredible physical Psychic move to have. High Jump Kick is simply phenomenal with the Attack increase, Life Orb, and the Reckless ability. Finally, Stone Edge is used to break through Flying types like Mantine and Zapdos. But Poison Jab is an alternative in order to hit Fairy types like Tapu Fini and Clefable. Knock Off is yet another alternative in order to have a strong presence against Psychic and Ghost types. Here are some fun little calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 226-268 (62 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 195-230 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 351-413 (102.3 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 489-577 (124.1 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 302-356 (83.1 - 98%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Mandibuzz: 239-282 (56.5 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 387-458 (98.2 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Prankster+10 Special Attack+10 Speed

Stats: 75/70/70/108/70/103
Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance

This set is mainly for Ghost, since Aerodactyl is the superior Tailwind Pokemon for offensive Flying teams. Prankster Tailwind is a nice form of speed control that can give Mimikyu, Gengar, and Chandelure better sweeping potential. U-turn is very helpful for giving momentum to the team. Hurricane is its strongest Flying STAB. And finally, Revelation Dance is its best and only Ghost STAB. Its new Speed tier of 103 allows it to outspeed common base 100's like Victini, Mew, and Mega Charizard X, as well as Landorus and Garchomp. The Flyinium Z / Life Orb is simply to increase its new 108 Special Attack even further. Here are a few calcs that demonstrate the benefits of its increased power:

252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 440-522 (120.8 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 343-406 (94.2 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Oricorio-Ghost Revelation Dancer vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 216-255 (66 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 214-253 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Oricorio-Ghost Revelation Dancer vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 335-398 (98.2 - 116.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 318-375 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 303-357 (102 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+10 Defense+Magic Bounce+Recover

Stats: 70/75/125/95/130/85
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Recover
- Scald / Moonblast

This set is a fantastic asset to both Water and Fairy teams. It's stallbreaking capabilities are further enhanced with Magic Bounce and reliable sustain in Recover. Magic Bounce makes it so that it doesn't have to run Defog, which frees the last moveslot for Scald, or Moonblast if it's on a Water team. Fairy teams would greatly appreciate having something to bounce back Stealth Rock and Spikes, as well as general status ailments. And for Water, it's stallbreaking capabilities are very appreciated with its 70/125/130 bulk and part Fairy typing.

Last edited:
Oricorrio + Quiver Dance + Serene Grace + 10 Spe

Stats: 75/70/70/98/70/108
Oricorrio @ Leftovers / Flyinium Z / Sky Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Air Slash
- Revelation Dance
- Roost​

Idk, I spent a while trying to think of something that seemed thematically appropiate for all of them such as Shadow Tag Sensu or Magic Guard Pau, but what's more handy for a special flying type than flinch hax? These sets could theoretically use a physically defensive spread as well for bulky set up, given that Ghost / Flying and Electric / Flying are decent typings, maybe even using Feather Dance over an attack to bolster their otherwise mediocre physical bulk.

Tapu Fini + 10 Special Attack + 20 Speed

Stats: 70/75/105/105/130/105
Tapu Fini @ Splash Plate / Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog / Calm Mind​

I didn't wanna just give Fini recovery, so the idea of just buffing it's special attack and speed to make it more an offensive threat with a handy speed tier. It's particularly nice for Fairy as it now outspeeds Nidoking and Landorus-I.

Mienshaou + Ice / Fighting typing + Ice Shard + Icicle Crash

Type: Fighting / Ice
Mienshaou @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance / U-turn / Knock Off​

I feel like i've seen this somewhere before.. but jokes aside, Ice-stab complements Fighting-type attacks very well, especially when they're as strong as Mienshaou's reckless High Jump Kick which actually hits harder than Mega Medicham if choice banded. Ice Shard would be great for Fighting teams to check Flying, Dragon, and Ground-type threats while threatening walls with incredibly potent STABs.

Last edited:
Oricorrio + Quiver Dance + Serene Grace + 10 Spe

Stats: 75/70/70/98/70/108
Oricorrio @ Leftovers / Flyinium Z / Sky Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Air Slash
- Revelation Dance
- Roost​

Idk, I spent a while trying to think of something that seemed thematically appropiate for all of them such as Shadow Tag Sensu or Magic Guard Pau, but what's more handy for a special flying type than flinch hax? These sets could theoretically use a physically defensive spread as well for bulky set up, given that Ghost / Flying and Electric / Flying are decent typings, maybe even using Feather Dance over an attack to bolster their otherwise mediocre physical bulk.

Tapu Fini + 10 Special Attack + 20 Speed

Stats: 70/75/105/105/130/105
Tapu Fini @ Splash Plate / Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog / Calm Mind​

I didn't wanna just give Fini recovery, so the idea of just buffing it's special attack and speed to make it more an offensive threat with a handy speed tier. It's particularly nice for Fairy as it now outspeeds Nidoking and Landorus-I.

Mienshaou + Ice / Fighting typing + Ice Shard + Icicle Crash

Type: Fighting / Ice
Mienshaou @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance / U-turn / Knock Off​

I feel like i've seen this somewhere before.. but jokes aside, Ice-stab complements Fighting-type attacks very well, especially when they're as strong as Mienshaou's reckless High Jump Kick which actually hits harder than Mega Medicham if choice banded. Ice Shard would be great for Fighting teams to check Flying, Dragon, and Ground-type threats while threatening walls with incredibly potent STABs.

Oricorio's Speed stat is actually supposed to hit 103, not 108.

Ik posting deadline is up, but I dont see any voting up yet so...also im bored af

Fighting / Normal
Mienshao @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Return

Mienshao can now spam HJK without fear of recoil, bar some exceptions. It would greatly boost fighting's chance against ghost, and the normal stab would also be appreciated vs stuff like poison and flying.

x4
Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Oricorio with adaptability will be much more threatening. Especially considering it has 4 types, it would offer flying strong stab for whatever it is lacking. Revelation Dance and Hurricane would both be stab, and hit tremendously hard.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Recover
- Moonblast
- Scald

With these three changes being Tapu Fini's Ability to Poison Heal, a new move being Recover and having access to Quiver Dance Tapu Fini becomes a lethal Calm Mind sweeper with access to great natural move, immunity to status and all while being able to burn your opponents with Scald. The speed investment allows Tapu Fini to outspeed base 70 pokemon such as Breloom, Bisharp, Volcanion and Mega Swampert outside rain. Quiver Damce boosts Tapu Fini to extremely potent levels making it very bulky and fast meaning it has potential to be the perfect setup sweeper that many water teams and some fairy would appreciate. Obviously, Scald and Moonblast are great stabs for Tapu Fini all while having an amazing typing with access to recover solves Tapu Fini's problem of not being able to truly wall other teams but just tank a few attacks!

Last edited:

iLlama

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)