Monotype Teambuilding Competition V3 Cycle 19 - (Dhelmise + Gengar) [Teambuilding Phase]

(Approved by scpinion, project taken over from 6ti, banner by Zarif)

Hello and welcome to the Monotype edition of the Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced Mono players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon from a specific Type. It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! At the beginning of each voting stage I will open a poll with 5 randomly selected types. The poll will run for the 3 days leading up to the end of the voting stage. From there I will create a core, or choose one suggested by a user. After the submission period is over (which will be after a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get 3 days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core. This idea is like the CC (Core Challenges) Program except it lets anyone share their team!
Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:
  • Make the post presentable. Fancy cute sprites are encouraged! (Think about size though)
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core. If I wanted to look at a pastebin of some mediocre team, I would go to the RMT forum and hunt for the locked threads made by users with such pristine names like Pikachu77.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make the team better. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jackass. Use hide tags when posting your team. Don't be that douchebag that makes everyone scroll down for an extra 5 seconds. If you don't put spoiler boxes, either fix it or I won't feature the team in the voting process.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it. Channel your inner hipster.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people (i.e. you realize it sucks or gets 6-0ed by something), however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post. Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.

• No banners. They are annoying and clog the thread.
Happy building, everyone!

Last edited:
Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake / Superpower

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Tailwind
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes

Firstly since Mega Garchomp was a requirement I thought ill use it as a offensive Stealth Rocker. Its 252 SpA invest is to make sure it hits specific targets like Skarmory, Ferrothron and Scizor as hard as possible while maintaining a speed of 286 after Mega Evolving which allows it to outspeed Base 80 threats such as Togekiss, Hoopa-Unbound Chandelure and those that try to creep these pokemon by 1 point. Earthquake is phenomenal Ground Stab which still hits hard even without full attack investment that allows Garchomp to nearly 6-0 steel by itself with EQ and Fire Blast. Finally Draco Meteor was nice Dragon coverage and is supported by the Special Attack investment so it hits extra hard. Of course stealth rock on Mega Garchomp is nice as it allows Garchomp to act as an offensive stealth rock pressure and to help in Stealth Rock weak matchups.

Haxorus you might ask why only has 240+ speed, I gave it 240 speed as +1 Dragon Dance with that speed outpaces Scarf Kyurem Black while giving haxorus that extra bulk. Dragon Dance clearly is a great way to make yourself faster while making your attacks delivered more powerful. Iron Tail was for the annoying Fairy type pokemon such as Diancie and Clefable which really can give this team a hard time. Lum Berry+EQ again is mainly for the Fairy Type matchup as Klefki can attempt and fail to paralyze Haxorus then takes massive damage from Earthquake. Outrage is just great dragon stab as it takes Haxorus power to a new level and really does alot of damage to any unresisted wall. If you think that you can handle Klefki without EQ a great way to deal with the busted matchup of normal vs dragon is too add Superpower to Haxorus which can help majorly help against Normal.

Hydreigon is fairly standard in its movepool as it to boast its Special Attack stat with specs has 4 very great moves to cover most of the metagame being Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon. The two moves Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are added to Hydreigon's movepool because it is amazing stab which can really help with the psychic matchups through dark pulse and really just revenge kill any slower unresisted wall with a Draco Meteor. Flamethrower was added for Steel and Grass teams which surprisingly can be a pain for Dragon. Flamethrower is also added more for Klefki as it one of the many things that make Fairy so difficulto beat for types weak to it. Finally flash cannon is to catch unsuspecting Fairies off guard such as mega evolving Diancie or to hit Clefable as hard as possible.

The Latias is a fairly standard OU Offensive Defogging Latias. It is added as the teams main methods of removing hazards and can be very nice as its support moves in Healing Wish and Tailwind can really give Dragon an extra hand in battle. the specific evs of 72 HP to live 2 Hidden Power [Ice] from Thundurus-I and to 88.5% of the time live a Shadow Ball attack from Gengar and proceed to revenge kill it. Latias is used to also put pressure on the fighting types which usually the Lati twins bring however i couldn't fit Latios so psyshock was a must on Latias. Healing Wish is to fully revive a wincon such as Hydreigon v Psychic or to simply bring momentum to your side of the field. Draco Meteor is pretty obvious standard stab on Latias.

Kyurem-Black is specifically designed to outspeed threats like Hoopa with 286 speed while maximizing its potential in SpA. 112 Attack with Life Orb is just enough to kill threats such as 164 HP Azumarill. 252 SpA is to make Ice Beam hit as hard as possible to take down threats such as Specially Defensive Skarmory meant to counter weak 4 SpA Kyurem Blacks. Fusion Bolt is to hit water and flying types such as Azumarill and Charizard Y. Iron Head is to bust open annoying Fairy and Ice type pokemon that trouble this team and overall great coverage. Then as a fairly common theme for this Dragon team and all have a Dragon attack on every pokemon because well Outrage SPAM OP also being Kyurem's strongest Stab attack.

Then Dragalge was added as another Fairy check which can be very annoying for this team. 148 speed outspeeds many threats such as Base 60 pokemon and tyranitar but also meant to outspeed those annoying 16 speed clefables. Toxic Spikes is generally a great move to have on any team as 2 layers is like badly poisoning every pokemon on the team once they are brought in and can be a great way to chip down Fairy. Sludge wave was added as yet another Fairy check to this team as they really are some of the most annoying matchups to deal with for Dragon outside of Normal which also struggles vs Toxic Spikes. Draco Meteor is to hit any unresisted Pokemon for insane damage and is boosted by adaptability. Hidden Poiwer [Fire] is meant specifically for 1 pokemon Mega Scizor which is generally very annoying for the team to face. Black Sludge is to help Dragalge stay longer in battle.

Last edited:

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Shadow Ball

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch

The first choice of Pokemon was (obviously) Haxorus. I originally had Swords Dance in this slot as it helped me beat some particularly troublesome Pokemon - Sableye, Mew, Chansey, Porygon 2, etc. - but I have later changed to Dragon Dance as I felt the Swords Dance set was often dead weight in many matchups due to Haxorus's underwhelming Speed. I use Adamant on this set purely to allow my Salamence to outspeed Haxorus if it gets Ditto'd before I dragon Dance (I never Dragon Dance against Normal until Ditto is gone, anyway), and the moveset was a simple choice. Outrage for sheer power, Earthquake to hit Steels, notably Heatran, and Poison Jab to hit Fairies, as I felt it was the most suitable coverage option left because I didn't want to run Superpower on a Dragon Dance set.

My next Pokemon of choice was obvious again, Mega Garchomp. I chose to use a Stealth Rock setting set because it is the best Garchomp set for Dragon (imo) and it meant I could use it as something of a wall since it runs a more defensive EV spread. The EV spread I chose required some refining (because I kept forgetting Garchomp loses Speed upon mega evolving) but I eventually settled on my current spread of 180 Speed, 252 HP, and 76+ Attack. The Speed EV's allow it to outspeed Zapdos post-mega evo, and outspeed base 80's before it mega's. The rest of the EV's were put into HP to make it as strong a tank as possible and then put into Attack to power up Earthquake and Stone Edge. Fire Blast was added as coverage to hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

At this point it was obvious that I not only lacked an Ice-type switchin, but also Ice-type and special coverage in general. To fill this slot I chose Kyurem-Black, as it not only fills both of those roles it has great wallbreaking power and coverage that can get me past some annoying walls - notably Skarmdos. The moveset I chose was simply Fusion Bolt to hit Skarmory and Water-types, Ice Beam to hit Zapdos, Dragon-types, Grass-types, etc. and Earth Power for Steels. I then added Roost in the last slot as, whilst I would like to run HP Fire for the near-perfect coverage, the ability to keep Kyurem-B at high health throughout the game is often invaluable against the likes of Jirachi or other weaker Pokemon, such as Porygon-Z, using non-STAB Ice-type attacks that Kyurem can easily soak up and then heal off the damage, however it struggles to wall the likes of Weavile or Mamoswine who are more powerful and have the STAB boosts on their Ice-type attacks. Life Orb was used because it provided much more power behind Kyurem's attacks and let it break through Skarmory.

My next choice was Latios to fill the role of a revenge killer and a hazard clearer, so I used Choice Scarf for the maximum amount of Speed possible, which is especially helpful for the Dragon mirror. I used dual STAB for the max damage, especially helpful for hitting opposing Dragons and other Fighting-types, especially Keldeo. Defog is used to clear hazards, and the final move was a toss-up between Memento and Shadow Ball, ir originally used Memento to help Haxorus set up, but more recently I have been using Shadow Ball to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types.

For my fifth Pokemon I decided to use a somewhat uncommon Pokemon on Dragon in Salamence. I used it mainly because I wanted a scarfer that was actually able to stay in after it had used an attack, which Latios struggles with due to the SpA drop from Draco Meteor. I also chose it for the added coverage; providing Steel-type coverage for revenge killing Diancie and Mega Gardevoir. I am using an Adamant nature because, whilst it does mean I fail to outspeed certain scarfers, it nets me the 0hko on both Psychic megas with Iron Tail or Outrage, and for the added damage overall. The moveset was simple; Outrage for nuking, Dragon Claw for a more reliable STAB if I wanted to be able to switch out the next turn, or couldn't risk being confused, Earthquake for coverage against Steels, and Iron Tail for Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, and Fairies in general.

The last Pokemon on the team is used as something of a glue - providing strong priority to help out if I'm being swept or to finish off weakened foes, and for just general wall breaking power which works well coupled with Kyurem-Black to open up holes for Haxorus or Salamence to sweep. The moveset is pretty generic, except I chose Thunder Punch over Fire Punch to hit Water-types harder, since I already had Kyurem-Black to help a lot against Flying, and Thunder Punch still hits Skarmory. Choice Band was chosen to give it the maximum wall breaking potential. I have been testing out different Pokemon in this slot, such as Hydreigon, Latios, or even Zygarde (I know it's just the same role as Dragonite just worse) but I always come back to Dragonite, it just does too much for the team to be replaced, even if the team does lack type synergy. Without Dragonite I find myself struggling to revenge kill things like Mega Sharpedo or Scarf Gardevoir.

Last edited:
Hi this is Arnold, your Instructor.

More Power, More Energy

This is Arnold (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 16 Atk / 242 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Naughty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge

Wesley Snipes (Haxorus) @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Like a G6 (Latias) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Talking Heads (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

More Energy (Dragalge) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Bane (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Mega Garchomp:
Fairly standard Mixed Mega set while also fulfilling the purpose of Stealth Rocker. Draco Meteor is hard hitting STAB along with EQ, with Fire Blast in as coverage for Skarmory, Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn who can switch in with little difficulty. This set wreaks havoc on defensive mons as there is very little that can tank all three moves when put together. Naive nature lets Mega Garchomp's natural (relatively good) speed and wallbreaking abilities run riot with no drawback to either of its attacking stats.

Note: Stone Edge can also be run instead of Stealth Rock if you feel like the extra coverage is really necessary and can be used to hit Togekiss, Mandibuzz and Zapdos, all of which take can survive all of Garchomps other moves with ease. Also a Naughty nature with 16 Atk / 242 SpAtk / 252 Spe can also be run.

Haxorus:
Haxorus is a mean setup sweeper. Plain and Simple. Dragon Dance raises Attack and Speed by one stage and Outrage hits insanely hard as main STAB, just be wary of the inevitable confusion that will come. Earthquake hits anything that may resist Outage hard and is Haxorus's main coverage move. Poison Jab is there for any Fairies that think that they can switch in easily. Lum Berry is there to stop status from preventing Haxorus from sweeping mid-late game. Life Orb can be run if you're confident of dodging status and like even more power.

Note: Iron Tail is also an option for more power against Fairies, but loses out on accuracy compared to Poison Jab. A Jolly nature is also possible and allows Haxorus to outspeed positive-natured base 85s, however after one Dragon Dance with Adamant Haxorus can outspeed Mega Aerodactyl.

Latias:
Latias plays the role of support with both Defog and Thunder Wave. Both those moves are fairly explanatory, with Defog removing hazard that could become troublesome to the team and Thunder Wave to cripple opposing threats that could cause problems. Psyshock is there to prevent Latias from being complete Taunt bait and Roost gives Latias longevity to continue doing what it does.

Note: Healing Wish is also a good option but the set would change to accomodate it and become this;
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Hydreigon:
Hydreigon plays the role of revenge killer and special late game sweeper. Draco Meteor is its STAB and main nuke. Dark Pulse is good for hitting Ghost and Psychic SE and more consistent STAB. Flash Cannon is great for nailing unsuspecting Fairies and Earth Power is coverage to hit Steel mons that think they can switch in easily.

Note: Dragon Pulse can be used for more consistent STAB. Fire Blast and U-Turn can also be used for coverage and scouting on Hydreigon but in my opinion don't work as well as the current set.

Dragalge:
Dragalge is another specially orientated mon but acts as more of a tank/wallbreaker. Draco Meteor with Adaptability hits incredibly hard with STAB as well and with Sludge Bomb as a backup, it can be pretty potent. Focus Blast is good for Steel/Tyrantiar coverage although is a little hazy on accuracy. Toxic Spikes are useful for their ability to Poison/Toxic opposing non-Poison type Pokemon and for building residual damage in general. 140 Speed is there so that Dragalge can outspeed and nail Clefable before it can begin to set-up. It also helps with beating Tyranitar, which can be a problem for Latias.

Note: Sludge Wave can also be used in place of Sludge Bomb for the (minimal, but extra) power and is probably better when using Toxic Spikes as well. Hidden Power [Fire] can replace Focus Blast to hit Mega Scizor even harder. Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald can also be used in place of Toxic Spikes if you feel like going all out attack.

Kyurem-Black:
Kyurem-B is another mixed wallbreaker which rounds out the final spot on the team. Like Garchomp is has utility with all of its moves and can be incredibly hard to wall. Ice Beam acts as a strong, reliable STAB that hits some common types hard. Fusion Bolt nails most Water types that could switch in such as Azu and Manaphy and is also great for hitting Skarmory. Again Earth Power hits Steel types that may want to switch into this set and Roost is there to heal of Life Orb damage and for general longevity.

Note: Outrage/Dragon Claw can be used in the final slot ahead of Roost, but in my eyes this team has enough Dragon STAB to go around. Hidden Power [Fire] can be used to lure in Mega Scizor or Ferrothorn, but doesn't hit much else. Iron Head can also be good coverage for hitting Fairies.

Don't let anyone be dragon you down, up, down, up, down, up. Come on more energy.
I better win because of this

Last edited:

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Defog / Tailwind

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Hidden Power Fire
- Psychic
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega Garchomp:
Sd 3 Attack is a real fun set that can break holes in opposing teams. Although Mega Garchomp has decent special attack which makes it a good mixed attacker i wanted to be able to boost my moves. D-claw and Eq are self explanatory and fire fang is for Pokemon such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Haxorus:
This is a pretty standard set up Haxorus. Outrage is the main STAB and eq + iron tail are coverage for steel and fairy types. I chose adamant nature because i want all the extra damage i can get to break through opponents teams

Latias:
So you might be wondering why i have no attacking moves. Support Lati is on this team to get screens up to help my set up mons do there thing. Screens allow Garchomp and Haxorus set up easier. Defog and healing wish can be changed for tailwind which helps a lot in those dragon vs dragon matchups but in general it is not needed.

Latios:
So a big issue i noticed is all of my Pokemon are physical attackers. I chose specs Latios as my next Pokemon because of it fulfilled that role as a strong special attacker. Draco and Psychic are self-explanatory but I chose to run surf over hp fire for the sole reason that I didn't want to be slower than other latis, gengar, and diancie. Trick is there for whenever i want to get rid of my Choice Specs witch is very nice against a mon such as Chansey and playing 50/50s against bisharps with sucker punch.

Kyurem-Black:

I chose a mixed variant due to the fact that most of the time people expect a Band or Scarf set and i wanted to be a little unpredictable. ice beam is the main STAB move and hp fire is there as a lure for annoying steel types that switch into Kyurem. Earth Power is there to hit Rotom Wash and Heatran and other fire types that wall this set.Fusion bolt allows you to take advantage of Kyurems monstrous attack and dish out damage to water and flying types. Pokemon such as Keldeo and Azumarill who can be a nuisance to the team and switch into this set are blown away by life orb fusion bolt with no investment guaranteeing you the kill after rocks.

Tyrantrum:

At this point I realized I didn't have a rocker. With there being not to many Pokemon who can set up entry hazards on dragon I contemplated changing my garchomp to 3 attack rocks but quickly decided against it. Tyrantrum fulfills this role by setting up rocks and then dishing out a heavy hit or choosing between lead rocks or some needed damage. You should generally always lead with this on this team.

[/quote]

Last edited:

Haxorus @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Glare
- Taunt

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch / Earthquake / Superpower

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

When I saw freaking Haxorus was paired up on this project, I straight up decided to go out of the blue and (try to) build a Dragon team, since I really like it, both design and competitive-wise. I wanted the team unique, so I noticed that juicy 147 base Attack with actually (semi-?) decent physical coverage (stares at kyu-b), and equipped it with a delicious Choice Band, kind of replacing the typical Band Dragonite (no prio though...). Outrage was the main STAB here, hitting neutral targets (even some resisted ones!) very hard, 2HKOing almost everything that isn't a fairy or Skarmory. Superpower was also a necessity, covering Steel-, Rock-, Ice-, and Normal- types, wrecking threats from those types, such as Pory2 and Avalugg, harder than DNite's. Iron Tail covered me Fairy-types that I can't nuke with Outrage, scoring kills on otherwise setup threats such as Clefable and Togekiss, even though the accuracy is a huge letdown. For the last slot, Earthquake was my choice for damaging Klefki, Doublade and Jirachi, meta-defining mons that I'd have a little more trouble without it. Dragon Claw could also be used for a no-downside STAB, given EQ + Superpower is a little redundant.

The second part of the core that was given consisted in Mega-Garchomp. As Dragon has a bit of tough endeavours with Steel and Ice, I decided to make it a hole opener against general teams, with a tad more effectiveness against said types (also flying and bug, both of which can be dangerous matchups.). The increase in Mega Garchomp's Special Attack allowed me to run a special STAB in Draco Meteor to overrun physical sponges weak in Special Defense that Haxorus might have trouble with, and a coverage move in Fire Blast which served mostly to break pesky common dangerous Steel-types, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor. Even though I heavily invested in Special Attack, that base 170 Atk after Mega Evolution wasn't a joke even when invested poorly, so Stone Edge and Earthquake rounded out my coverage. In tandem with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor, Mega-Garchomp has the ability to break through Steel-, Ice-, Flying-, and Bug- types cores in the meta, whilst having a bit of utility vs. other types. The 180 Speed EV's made Mega-Garchomp outspeed positive-natured max invested base 70's, such as Bisharp and Breloom.

At that moment, I realized I was in need of a rocker and a phazer/annoyer, both of those roles which would be fulfilled by Tank Chomp in a generic dragon team. I saw Drudiggon was a nice Tank Chomp "rip-off" to serve me what I lacked by running mixed Mega-Garchomp, with comparable physical bulk and moveset. Speaking of the latter, it's pretty much standard Tank Chomp with a disguise; Stealth Rock is a given on every team to weaken down switch-ins and break sashes, and Dragon Tail to phaze setuppers and troublesome mons. The differential comes in the third moveslot; Glare allowed me to cripple offensive pokemons, and, in conjunction with Dragon Tail, para-shuffling an opposing team given the opportunity. For the last slot, Taunt was a fine choice to shut down walls and paralyze them out.

As Haxorus was my physical wallbreaker this time, I really wanted a DD sweeper to clean out weakened teams once the main threats were worn down. Since Band Dragonite is very common in today's meta, I've decided to go ol' school (kinda) with DD Lum DNite, a set I think it's very underrated, given those yummy setup opportunities Multiscale gifts to you. The moveset is straight-forward and simple; DD for setupping and increasing your Attack and Speed stats, Outrage for STAB and better cleaning, requiring less DD boosts and working better with Lum Berry, but at the cost of locking yourself into it, Extreme Speed for priority and neutral coverage (mainly while attempting to sweep a weakened Fairy-type team) and Fire Punch for killing Steel-types late-game that might be saved by the opponent, such as Scizor and Ferrothorn. Alternatively, Earthquake or Superpower can be used in the aforementioned slot too, targeting Heatran and Chansey, respectively.

Since my team was rather slow, I realized that fast mons, especially ones carrying Ice- or Fairy- type STAB, were an annoying issue, mainly scarfed Kyurem-Black and Gardevoir. Hydreigon was the closest fit I've got for the scarfer/revenge killer slot, having a powerful and fast STAB in Draco Meteor that could kill slower dragons locked into Outrage and weakened opposing Draco's. Dark Pulse is it's most spammable STAB, very welcome when the SpA drop isn't desirable and when Dark-type coverage is needed. U-turn provides momentum by switching into predicted switches, and Flash Cannon rounds the set well, hitting Fairy- and Ice- types super effectively for decent damage. Even though Latios is faster and therefore more suitable for a scarf slot overall on a dragon team, Hydra was chosen for coverage options and access to U-Turn to kill hoops.

With a frail spectre on the special side and a very bad matchup vs. SS Water, as well as lack of Ice-type switchins corresponding as the team's holes, I've decided then to use an Assault Vest Mixed Attacker Kyurem-B. While I think this mon is almost a necessity on Dragon monotypes, it nearly always come out with a Choice Scarf, a Choice Band or a Life Orb, making an Assault Vest set a decent surprise. Combined with it's augmented special bulk, Fusion Bolt and Outrage made my time vs. Water considerably easier, tanking hits from almost every Water-type (except for Kingdra and Keldeo) and KOing most back. Ice Beam does well as a spammable STAB, allowing it to trouble Ground, Flying and Grass somewhat, and
Iron Head rounds out it's coverage by hitting Fairy-, Ice-, and Rock-types. The Speed EV's outrun positive-natured max invested base 80's, such as Hoopa-Unbound.

EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 72 Def / 80 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Dragon Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

I'm so glad ChildOfDisorder took on this project, this is a fun one to be able to participate in! I was debating whether to post or not, given atm after this I can't post until my 1k post in 6 days, but, I finally decided to! Here's what I was able to come up with:

I decided to use a lead Mega Garchomp set with SD for it to double as a wallbreaker. Edge-Quake coverage gives it pretty decent neutral coverage--the only thing I can really see this getting walled entirely by is Skarmory (but I have enough answers for it on the team that I can bypass running Fire Blast). It's considerable to note Rock Tomb is ran over Rock Slide or Stone Edge to ease revenge killing with a -speed effect after being used. The EVs ran allows it to reach max base 80 defense, max base 134 attack, max HP investment, and enough speed to outrun Bisharp entirely.

Haxorus I took the late game sweeper route, and gave it Dragon Dance. Haxorus even without a boost is immensely strong, with fair coverage to back it up. The EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, and be able to effectively check it. Lum Berry is given to allow it to evade status once, and usually get a free boost against most common walls.

Latios was who I decided on for a scarfer, due to the incredible speed tier it is able to reach, outspeeding a very very vast majority of the unboosted metagame. From there the set is pretty basic, the only thing worth mentioning is that Shadow Ball is given to help "check" Gardevoir.

Kyurem-B I decided to run a bulky specially-biased wallbreaker. It gets really good neutral coverage thanks to strong Boltbeam coverage, and Earth Power to hit most things that are able to wall that combination. I lastly gave it Roost to heal off any damage its received, considering he's my only reliable switchin to ice attacks, and I can heal off LO recoil that would otherwise wear it down throughout a match.

Salamence may seem like an odd choice to put on a Dragon team, but there's 2 primary reasons I decided to pick it up: Intimidate and Defog. With Intimidate this allows it to be an excellent physical wall, and it gives me possible leverage to switch to Haxorus and begin boosting. Draco Meteor and Flamethrower allow it to still deal solid damage, and Roost allows it to stay healthy at all times. The EVs here benchmark it to just above max base 60.

The last slot of the team I decided to add Dragalge for a general Fairy check. It also gives me an additional hazard in Toxic Spikes, allowing me to better pressure bulky stall teams. Dragon Fang is used to give its STABdaptability Draco Meteor additional power, and make its after affects not quite as costly as they would be without. Black Sludge is also a viable option for passive recovery. Focus Blast was given with its two STABs to be able to hit Steel types that would otherwise wall it, such as Heatran or Magnezone. Alertatively, HP Fire can be used to hit Doublade and Scizor, however, you do have Salamence which can usually check both of them, so I see Focus Blast as a much better bet to prevent it from getting hardwalled by Heatran. The speed EVs given allow it to outrun Relaxed Swampert sets (since most run Scad and Earthquake).

Last edited:
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 72 Def / 80 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Dragon Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

I'm so glad ChildOfDisorder took on this project, this is a fun one to be able to participate in! I was debating whether to post or not, given atm after this I can't post until my 1k post in 6 days, but, I finally decided to! Here's what I was able to come up with:

I decided to use a lead Mega Garchomp set with SD for it to double as a wallbreaker. Edge-Quake coverage gives it pretty decent neutral coverage--the only thing I can really see this getting walled entirely by is Skarmory (but I have enough answers for it on the team that I can bypass running Fire Blast). It's considerable to note Rock Tomb is ran over Rock Slide or Stone Edge to ease revenge killing with a -speed effect after being used. The EVs ran allows it to reach max base 80 defense, max base 134 attack, max HP investment, and enough speed to outrun Bisharp entirely.

Haxorus I took the late game sweeper route, and gave it Dragon Dance. Haxorus even without a boost is immensely strong, with fair coverage to back it up. The EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, and be able to effectively check it. Lum Berry is given to allow it to evade status once, and usually get a free boost against most common walls.

Latios was who I decided on for a scarfer, due to the incredible speed tier it is able to reach, outspeeding a very very vast majority of the unboosted metagame. From there the set is pretty basic, the only thing worth mentioning is that Shadow Ball is given to help "check" Gardevoir.

Kyurem-B I decided to run a bulky specially-biased wallbreaker. It gets really good neutral coverage thanks to strong Boltbeam coverage, and Earth Power to hit most things that are able to wall that combination. I lastly gave it Roost to heal off any damage its received, considering he's my only reliable switchin to ice attacks, and I can heal off LO recoil that would otherwise wear it down throughout a match.

Salamence may seem like an odd choice to put on a Dragon team, but there's 2 primary reasons I decided to pick it up: Intimidate and Defog. With Intimidate this allows it to be an excellent physical wall, and it gives me possible leverage to switch to Haxorus and begin boosting. Draco Meteor and Flamethrower allow it to still deal solid damage, and Roost allows it to stay healthy at all times. The EVs here benchmark it to just above max base 60.

The last slot of the team I decided to add Dragalge for a general Fairy check. It also gives me an additional hazard in Toxic Spikes, allowing me to better pressure bulky stall teams. Dragon Fang is used to give its STABdaptability Draco Meteor additional power, and make its after affects not quite as costly as they would be without. Black Sludge is also a viable option for passive recovery. Focus Blast was given with its two STABs to be able to hit Steel types that would otherwise wall it, such as Heatran or Magnezone. Alertatively, HP Fire can be used to hit Doublade and Scizor, however, you do have Salamence which can usually check both of them, so I see Focus Blast as a much better bet to prevent it from getting hardwalled by Heatran. The speed EVs given allow it to outrun Relaxed Swampert sets (since most run Scad and Earthquake).
Why Naive chomp when your running no spa moves? Jolly would be better

The Teambuilding phase for Cycle 17 has now ended! Good job to all of you who participated!
I would quickly like to note that if you did not add a description to your team then you will not be featured this week, sorry! Those are just the rules! Better luck next week.

Remember to vote for only two teams, and not your own! The voting phase will end on Monday, 11/14/16!

As for Cycle 18's type, you can vote for the type you wish to see done next week here.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for being late! Got tied up with schoolwork, my fault entirely!

The winner of Cycle 17 is Hammy! Congratulations!

As for Cycle 18, the type this week will be Psychic... and the Pokemon will be:

Azelf and...

Gothitelle!
Best of luck, teambuilders! As I said before editing this post, I am allowing an extra day to teambuild because I was a day late. Therefore, the deadline for this cycle will be next Wednesday (11/23/16)!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)