Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing

upload_2017-9-22_17-15-40.png

I started out with Mega Metagross, cuz that's what the team is built around. Bullet Punch just kills off a bunch of mons which are low as well as threaten out Fairy and Rock Types, Stealth Rock is there because I just don't want to put another hazard setter on the team. Ice Punch deals with the annoying Dragon Types, as well as annoying offensive threats like Shaymin-Sky or Landorus-Incarnate. Earthquake is here to punish Groudon-P, Solgaleo, as well as Aegislash.

upload_2017-9-22_18-6-53.png
upload_2017-9-22_18-7-11.png

Metagross has poor Special Defense stats, so I took Magearna as the "better" Xerneas check with Heart Swap. It brings a typical Uber Specially Defensive Set I took from Smogon. Zygarde is here to blanket hits from Groudon-P and stops Blaziken/Marshadow. Glare ensures faster offensive monsters get shut down pretty quickly, and RestTalk just keeps Zygarde healthy.

upload_2017-9-22_18-10-26.png

Xerneas loves Metagross weakening its checks a lot. I didn't really like Z-Geomancy as it took 2 turns, which just makes sure I have to clear all the checks before I go in Xerneas to sweep, so I just went for the typical HerbMancy set. Hidden Power Ground after +2 is deadly to most checks to Xerneas.

upload_2017-9-22_18-26-0.png

Groudon-P: One of the most threatening mons in the tier. So according to Smogon, this guy and Metagross-Mega are a pretty good core, and Groudon-P is just so threatening, with so many sets that make it a little bit unpredictable. I decided to put in Rock Polish Groudon-P, as we already have a Stealth Rocker (This is why I put it on Metagross), and Magearna and Zygarde as our fat mons. Rock Polish works really well for me, as it can outspeed a majority of the tier, and this set just kills more Dragons and destroys Steel types for Xerneas too.

upload_2017-9-22_18-26-0.png
upload_2017-9-22_18-29-24.png

Yveltal provides an amazing type in Dark/Flying, for 3 mons on this team is weak to Ground types. I chose a Scarf set to provide momentum, as well as get that quick Oblivion Wing on most mons, as Flying Type resistances are very rare in the Uber tier. I thought it would complete the team nicely, as well as check Marshadow and provide that Ghost/Dark type resistance for Metagross.

Please give any advice (professional ones, not childish ones), and thank you very much for reviewing my team!

P.S. Here are some calcs for Xerneas at +2:

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 224-264 (55.5 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Solgaleo: 248-292 (51.9 - 61.2%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 268-316 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 314-370 (96.9 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 164-194 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel: 248-292 (65 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 328-387 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Attachments

Last edited:
You don't have HP ground on your Xerneas set ^^

I don't like the Sp def investment on both xerneas and groudon, both are here to sweep and not tank hits. I advise you to reach 245 speed on your Groudon (that's 116 EVs i think) so you can outspeed scarf Yveltal at +2. Sdef on Xerneas doesn't make sense to me since Geomancy already boosts it, and most of the time its counters brings physical moves like Bullet Punch, Precipice Blades etc. A phys Def invest would be much more helpful i think !

You also lack a defogger, while Toxic Spikes are preventing a lot your sweepers from doing their jobs, and Rocks annoy Yveltal + chip at your team. Since you don't have an Arceus form, i advise you to change zygarde for defensive arceus-ground that brings defog to your team and do the exact same job, except letting you Ho-oh weak. To cover this, you can try to run a rock type move on Metagross instead of Ice Punch since you'll already have 2 other Ice type moves in your team (Pdon's HP ice and Ice Beam on Groundceus).

252 Atk Metagross-Mega Rock Slide vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 388-460 (94.8 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Hope i helped :)

You don't have HP ground on your Xerneas set ^^

I don't like the Sp def investment on both xerneas and groudon, both are here to sweep and not tank hits. I advise you to reach 245 speed on your Groudon (that's 116 EVs i think) so you can outspeed scarf Yveltal at +2. Sdef on Xerneas doesn't make sense to me since Geomancy already boosts it, and most of the time its counters brings physical moves like Bullet Punch, Precipice Blades etc. A phys Def invest would be much more helpful i think !

You also lack a defogger, while Toxic Spikes are preventing a lot your sweepers from doing their jobs, and Rocks annoy Yveltal + chip at your team. Since you don't have an Arceus form, i advise you to change zygarde for defensive arceus-ground that brings defog to your team and do the exact same job, except letting you Ho-oh weak. To cover this, you can try to run a rock type move on Metagross instead of Ice Punch since you'll already have 2 other Ice type moves in your team (Pdon's HP ice and Ice Beam on Groundceus).

252 Atk Metagross-Mega Rock Slide vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 388-460 (94.8 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Hope i helped :)
Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will try them out ASAP. I'll change the Xerneas set now!

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi, it's an interesting team that you've got there. I find it kind of difficult to see what playstyle you were actually going for when building this team. The fact that you've got no hazard removal and Rock Polish Primal Groudon kind of implies that you're looking for a hyper offensive archetype, yet you're running mons like Zygarde Complete and Magearna, which only really belong on Defensive sort of teams due to the fact that they drain a lot of momentum. When these mons are basically just placed together without considering what sort of playstyle you're tying to build for, you end up having a 4v6 situation in an offensive manner since only 4 of your mons really are really able to have a solid offensive presence. This can make things troublesome vs bulkier teams, because it'll be quite likely that you'll end up being put in situations where bulky mons wall your entire team. You'll also have problems vs offense since you've only got 4 mons to offensively check the entire tier, and you'll see yourself get forced into your defensive mons, Magearna and Zygarde which will basically invite mons like Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence and Mega Lucario to set up, and due to the offensive nature of the rest of your team, nothing is really able to reliably check these mons once they've started to set up. Furthermore, I can see that on paper this team would especially struggle with Arceus Ground - since it literally 6-0's this entire team, but also finds Primal Kyogre to be trouble, since the only mon that is really able to switch into it is on of your team's main win-conditions, Primal Groudon, which really doesn't appreciate being worn down by Ice Beams, and you don't really want to be bringing that mon in too early in the game anyway. Because of these reasons, I believe that a number of changes have to be made in order for it to be successful in the Ubers tier.

MON CHANGES
>

Zygarde Complete really doesn't do this team any favours as far as momentum goes. Its jobs on most teams is to sit back and tank hits, and then annoy mons by crippling them with status and/or phasing them out. Since Mega Metagross isn't exactly the tier's most powerful wallbreaker, your team is more likely to appreciate faster, harder hitting mons to wear down your opponents, so that you can clean late game with Metagross. Arceus Ground still provides you with an adequate check to Primal Groudon but you're not draining as much momentum. The special set seems the most useful to me, since it provides you with hazard removal with Defog and gives this team a better matchup vs Rayquaza, Zygarde Complete and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam. You also still beat Mega Blaziken 1v1 and you already have scarf Yveltal to reliably beat Marshadow 1v1.The set I recommend is the special support set with 252 HP 132 Def and 124 Spe This set allows you to outspeed Base 90s such as Primal Groudon and Kyogre, but you've got enough bulk to survive a hit from a +2 Primal Groudon and OHKO it in return with Judgement. Alternatively, you could run a set with less HP and 192 Spe to outpace Mega Lucario However, you risk being OHKO'd by a +2 Primal Groudon.
Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Recover

>

While Magearna is the most solid Xerneas check in the game, and makes Xerneas users always afraid to click Geomancy since it risks being reverse swept, it doesn't really do your team many other favours. It basically invites mons that this team would find threatening such as Arceus Ground, Primal Groudon and Ho-oh, and puts you in a situation where you're being pressured by your opponent. Kyogre provides this team with a really solid wallbreaker, and also prevents Arceus Ground from destroying your entire team and gives this team a better answer to Ho-oh, since Zygarde Complete has been removed. It also really appreciates the support from Primal Groudon and Arceus Ground to take care of opposing Primal Groudons, so that it can tear through teams, but it also ultimately makes it easier for mons like Mega Metagross and Xerneas to sweep late-game. The set I had in mind was the offensive calm mind, straight from the analysis, since it allows you to put lots of pressure on your opponent, and due to the nature of Kyogre, you'll be forcing a lot of switches anyway, so you should be able to find yourself with lots of opportunities to click Calm Mind, and it potentially allows Kyogre to win games by itself. In Summary, your Kyogre Set is:
Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

SET CHANGES

As you mentioned, this is the mon that you built this team around so essentially, this is the most important mon on your team. It's meant to act as a late game cleaner, as there are many mons in the ubers tier who can force it out quite easily, yet it fails to force that many switches itself, the only mons in the viability ranks that would really be forced to switch out is Xerneas, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Dialga, Mega Lucario and Mega Diancie. However, it doesn't really appreciate taking hits from any of these mons. The other downside to consider when building around this mon is the fact that you lose a Mega Slot, so therefore you miss out on using other megas that force more switches and have more offensive presence such as Lucario and Salamence. Due to the fact that Mega Metagross doesn't really force that many switches, and is only really meant to be used late game, to place Stealth Rock on the mon ends up just being bad role compression. So I'd strongly recommend removing Stealth Rock from Mega Metagross and running Meteor Mash instead. Meteor Mash is Mega Metagross' main stab move, and the fact that there's a chance to raise its attack also helps make it rather spammable, it also helps with dealing with Xerneas and Arceus Fairy, which has become a lot more common since the introduction of Marshadow. Furthermore, Toxic is probably more useful than Earthquake, since this team already has Arceus Ground and Primal Groudon to deal with the mons that you'd be hitting with Earthquake, whereas toxic is just a generally useful move to spam. Also the EVs of 184 HP / 148 Atk / 176 Spe. The EVs in HP prevent Mega Metagross from possibly being OHKO'd by Xerneas by Hidden Power Ground or Focus Blast and allows it to survive an Earthquake from Mega Salamence, yet the EVs in attack allow you to OHKO Xerneas with Meteor mash, Arceus Fairy with Meteor Mash + Bullet punch and OHKO Mega Salamence with Ice Punch. Anyway, I recommend you use Mega Metagross with the following set:
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 184 HP / 148 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Primal Groudon is arguably the best mon in the tier, but I don't feel like the Mixed Rock Polish set is going to do you any favours on this team. Since that set is meant to clean late-game, but you've already got multiple mons assigned to that role. The most useful role for Primal Groudon to serve on a team with Mega Metagross is an Offensive Stealth Rock set, since Primal Groudon is one of the best stealth rock setters in the tier, and also helps check the vast majority of the tier. I'd recommend using Fire Punch and Rock Tomb as your filler moves, since Fire Punch allows you to hit Ferrothorn (who otherwise walled your team) and Celesteela, who was only really threatened by thunders from Kyogre, but could still irritate you greatly. Rock Tomb is useful as your 4th move to hit Ho-oh super hard, stop Mega Salamence from boosting its speed and also just slow down mons who can outpace and put lots of pressure on your team. The EV spread of 152 HP and 44 SpD allows you to comfortably be able to live a +2 Hidden Power Ground After Stealth rock from Xerneas, 76 Speed allows you beat uninvested Yveltal and Xerneas and the rest is placed in attack with an adamant nature for maximum damage output. Full details of this set can be found below:
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

SUMMARY:
Ultimately, these changes to your team have allowed you to run a more consistent offensive playstyle, since removing Magearna and Zygarde Complete has allowed you to more consistently maintain offensive pressure vs your opponent. Changing Primal Groudon's set to the Offensive Stealth Rock variant has provided you with a better Xerneas check, so you're not draining momentum by using Magearna, or having to rely on rolls with Mega Metagross, and also means that you're able to use Mega Metagross to the best of its potential by giving it an all out attacking set so that it can clean late-game. Adding Arceus Ground and Kyogre also helps this by giving you two mons that check threats to Metagross such as Primal Groudon, Ho-oh, and Arceus Ground as well as beat Yveltal and Marshadow 1v1, and also provides you with a defogger so that your mons (Especially Yveltal) aren't so easily worn down by hazards. However, this team still isn't perfect, you still have to be very careful when playing against Ekiller Arceus, since this team has no dedicated check to it, and despite the popularity of Marshadow, when I tested this on mid-ladder I seemed to bump into this mon multiple times. If you find it too threatening, you could add Hammer Arm to Mega Metagross, however I feel like toxic is much more spammable, and you shouldn't run into Ekiller too often. But apart from that, this team should be very solid. I'll provide you with an importable of this team with the changes I made down below. Ultimately I enjoyed rating this team, and I actually had a lot of fun testing it on the ladder. I still believe that Mega Metagross is quite an underwhelming Mega in the ubers tier, however with the changes made to this team, I believe that you'll be able to use it to the best of its potential. I hope you enjoy using this team with it's changes, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask :)

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Toxic/Hammer Arm

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Recover

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dark Aura
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing

Last edited:
Hi, it's an interesting team that you've got there. I find it kind of difficult to see what playstyle you were actually going for when building this team. The fact that you've got no hazard removal and Rock Polish Primal Groudon kind of implies that you're looking for a hyper offensive archetype, yet you're running mons like Zygarde Complete and Magearna, which only really belong on Defensive sort of teams due to the fact that they drain a lot of momentum. When these mons are basically just placed together without considering what sort of playstyle you're tying to build for, you end up having a 4v6 situation in an offensive manner since only 4 of your mons really are really able to have a solid offensive presence. This can make things troublesome vs bulkier teams, because it'll be quite likely that you'll end up being put in situations where bulky mons wall your entire team. You'll also have problems vs offense since you've only got 4 mons to offensively check the entire tier, and you'll see yourself get forced into your defensive mons, Magearna and Zygarde which will basically invite mons like Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence and Mega Lucario to set up, and due to the offensive nature of the rest of your team, nothing is really able to reliably check these mons once they've started to set up. Furthermore, I can see that on paper this team would especially struggle with Arceus Ground - since it literally 6-0's this entire team, but also finds Primal Kyogre to be trouble, since the only mon that is really able to switch into it is on of your team's main win-conditions, Primal Groudon, which really doesn't appreciate being worn down by Ice Beams, and you don't really want to be bringing that mon in too early in the game anyway. Because of these reasons, I believe that a number of changes have to be made in order for it to be successful in the Ubers tier.

MON CHANGES
>

Zygarde Complete really doesn't do this team any favours as far as momentum goes. Its jobs on most teams is to sit back and tank hits, and then annoy mons by crippling them with status and/or phasing them out. Since Mega Metagross isn't exactly the tier's most powerful wallbreaker, your team is more likely to appreciate faster, harder hitting mons to wear down your opponents, so that you can clean late game with Metagross. Arceus Ground still provides you with an adequate check to Primal Groudon but you're not draining as much momentum. The special set seems the most useful to me, since it provides you with hazard removal with Defog and gives this team a better matchup vs Rayquaza, Zygarde Complete and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam. You also still beat Mega Blaziken 1v1 and you already have scarf Yveltal to reliably beat Marshadow 1v1.The set I recommend is the special support set with 252 HP 132 Def and 124 Spe This set allows you to outspeed Base 90s such as Primal Groudon and Kyogre, but you've got enough bulk to survive a hit from a +2 Primal Groudon and OHKO it in return with Judgement. Alternatively, you could run a set with less HP and 192 Spe to outpace Mega Lucario However, you risk being OHKO'd by a +2 Primal Groudon.
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Recover

>

While Magearna is the most solid Xerneas check in the game, and makes Xerneas users always afraid to click Geomancy since it risks being reverse swept, it doesn't really do your team many other favours. It basically invites mons that this team would find threatening such as Arceus Ground, Primal Groudon and Ho-oh, and puts you in a situation where you're being pressured by your opponent. Kyogre provides this team with a really solid wallbreaker, and also prevents Arceus Ground from destroying your entire team and gives this team a better answer to Ho-oh, since Zygarde Complete has been removed. It also really appreciates the support from Primal Groudon and Arceus Ground to take care of opposing Primal Groudons, so that it can tear through teams, but it also ultimately makes it easier for mons like Mega Metagross and Xerneas to sweep late-game. The set I had in mind was the offensive calm mind, straight from the analysis, since it allows you to put lots of pressure on your opponent, and due to the nature of Kyogre, you'll be forcing a lot of switches anyway, so you should be able to find yourself with lots of opportunities to click Calm Mind, and it potentially allows Kyogre to win games by itself. In Summary, your Kyogre Set is:
Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

SET CHANGES

As you mentioned, this is the mon that you built this team around so essentially, this is the most important mon on your team. It's meant to act as a late game cleaner, as there are many mons in the ubers tier who can force it out quite easily, yet it fails to force that many switches itself, the only mons in the viability ranks that would really be forced to switch out is Xerneas, Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Dialga, Mega Lucario and Mega Diancie. However, it doesn't really appreciate taking hits from any of these mons. The other downside to consider when building around this mon is the fact that you lose a Mega Slot, so therefore you miss out on using other megas that force more switches and have more offensive presence such as Lucario and Salamence. Due to the fact that Mega Metagross doesn't really force that many switches, and is only really meant to be used late game, to place Stealth Rock on the mon ends up just being bad role compression. So I'd strongly recommend removing Stealth Rock from Mega Metagross and running Meteor Mash instead. Meteor Mash is Mega Metagross' main stab move, and the fact that there's a chance to raise its attack also helps make it rather spammable, it also helps with dealing with Xerneas and Arceus Fairy, which has become a lot more common since the introduction of Marshadow. Furthermore, Toxic is probably more useful than Earthquake, since this team already has Arceus Ground and Primal Groudon to deal with the mons that you'd be hitting with Earthquake, whereas toxic is just a generally useful move to spam. Also the EVs of 184 HP / 148 Atk / 176 Spe. The EVs in HP prevent Mega Metagross from possibly being OHKO'd by Xerneas by Hidden Power Ground or Focus Blast and allows it to survive an Earthquake from Mega Salamence, yet the EVs in attack allow you to OHKO Xerneas with Meteor mash, Arceus Fairy with Meteor Mash + Bullet punch and OHKO Mega Salamence with Ice Punch. Anyway, I recommend you use Mega Metagross with the following set:
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Primal Groudon is arguably the best mon in the tier, but I don't feel like the Mixed Rock Polish set is going to do you any favours on this team. Since that set is meant to clean late-game, but you've already got multiple mons assigned to that role. The most useful role for Primal Groudon to serve on a team with Mega Metagross is an Offensive Stealth Rock set, since Primal Groudon is one of the best stealth rock setters in the tier, and also helps check the vast majority of the tier. I'd recommend using Fire Punch and Rock Tomb as your filler moves, since Fire Punch allows you to hit Ferrothorn (who otherwise walled your team) and Celesteela, who was only really threatened by thunders from Kyogre, but could still irritate you greatly. Rock Tomb is useful as your 4th move to hit Ho-oh super hard, stop Mega Salamence from boosting its speed and also just slow down mons who can outpace and put lots of pressure on your team. The EV spread of 152 HP and 44 SpD allows you to comfortably be able to live a +2 Hidden Power Ground After Stealth rock from Xerneas, 76 Speed allows you beat uninvested Yveltal and Xerneas and the rest is placed in attack with an adamant nature for maximum damage output. Full details of this set can be found below:
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

SUMMARY:
Ultimately, these changes to your team have allowed you to run a more consistent offensive playstyle, since removing Magearna and Zygarde Complete has allowed you to more consistently maintain offensive pressure vs your opponent. Changing Primal Groudon's set to the Offensive Stealth Rock variant has provided you with a better Xerneas check, so you're not draining momentum by using Magearna, or having to rely on rolls with Mega Metagross, and also means that you're able to use Mega Metagross to the best of its potential by giving it an all out attacking set so that it can clean late-game. Adding Arceus Ground and Kyogre also helps this by giving you two mons that check threats to Metagross such as Primal Groudon, Ho-oh, and Arceus Ground as well as beat Yveltal and Marshadow 1v1, and also provides you with a defogger so that your mons (Especially Yveltal) aren't so easily worn down by hazards. However, this team still isn't perfect, you still have to be very careful when playing against Ekiller Arceus, since this team has no dedicated check to it, and despite the popularity of Marshadow, when I tested this on mid-ladder I seemed to bump into this mon multiple times. If you find it too threatening, you could add Hammer Arm to Mega Metagross, however I feel like toxic is much more spammable, and you shouldn't run into Ekiller too often. But apart from that, this team should be very solid. I'll provide you with an importable of this team with the changes I made down below. Ultimately I enjoyed rating this team, and I actually had a lot of fun testing it on the ladder. I still believe that Mega Metagross is quite an underwhelming Mega in the ubers tier, however with the changes made to this team, I believe that you'll be able to use it to the best of its potential. I hope you enjoy using this team with it's changes, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask :)

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Toxic/Hammer Arm

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- Recover

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing
Thank you very much friend! I will certainly be reading through your passage several more times to check what I have missed, and follow the playstyle. I'm a pretty new teambuilder, and still pretty confused about different playstyles. I guess I have to read more up on it!

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Formatting aside, there are aspects of 3017's rate that should be addressed.

I don't think the Arceus-Ground set and spread that was provided is the right fit for this team. Arceus-Ground should rarely ever dip below 192+ Speed - doing so means you have no chance at being faster than Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, Mega Diancie, + Xerneas and Yveltal, Rayquaza, and about a dozen other things I won't list here. The only time a squad can justify letting go of these key speed benchmarks is when the rest of the team is ironclad vs. these and needs Arceus-Ground to have extra insurance vs. SD Primal Groudon. Looking at the final importable that is provided, this is not the case. There is moderate weaknesses to Mega Lucario, and SD Primal Groudon has coverage via Scarf Yveltal. In short, this squad cannot justify the luxury of over-covering SD Primal Groudon via Def heavy Arceus-Ground + Primal Kyogre + Scarf Yveltal when it has more pressing issues to address via what the norm Arceus-Ground spread offers.

There is another powerful Pokemon that comes to mind when looking at this importable, and it's Ho-Oh. Non-SD Arceus-Ground already have problems with Ho-Oh, but forgoing Toxic intensifies the problem immensely, especially when a strong Ho-Oh check was swapped out for one that's not a very good switch-in. Any team with a Ho-Oh and a SR setter that has solid matchup vs. Primal Groudon has their way. Same applies to Ho-Oh + good anti-hazard cores. Primal Kyogre is also a threat that is swept under the builder. To be fair the OP didn't even bother checking Primal Kyogre, but the final importable includes massive Ogre bait (Toxic-less support Arceus-Ground) and has Kyogre as the Kyogre check. A proper Arceus-Ground spread with Toxic helps with these, but I feel that the adjusted structure isn't as tight as it could be.

Moving from 3017's rate, basically you either build around the concept of doing a BO with Mega Meta and the offensive Pokes that the OP has, or you try to create a structure around Mega Metagross + an offensive parter (Primal Kyogre is what 3017 suggested). I'm going with the former as the OP does not elect to build with Primal Kyogre, and I think Xerneas and Yveltal are a fine base to move from (Mega Meta + P Ogre squads are fun though). The largest quirk with the OP's structure is that Mage is redundant. One of the justifications of using Mega Metagross is because it checks Xerneas - the OP explains this as wanting a more reactive check to Xerneas, but if that's really something you want Mega Metagross probably isn't the best Pokemon to build around. There's also defensive overlap between Xerneas and Mage, and there is an extremely limited number of teams that can justify these Pokemon together.

If you're keeping Mega Metagross, you swap Mage out for something else. To me the most obvious candidate is Arceus-Water since this basically condenses the defensive utility you want of Arceus-Ground + Primal Kyogre without compromising to Ho-Oh and P Ogre. This leaves you with a BO structure that has room to accommodate most offensive desires and defensive concerns via detailing. At this point I'd even be tempted to replace Mega Metagross with Mega Scizor since it gives you another toy to pivot around with. This kind of structure is really something that can run with a number of permutations and details, and is fun to play around with. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with the team.

Formatting aside, there are aspects of 3017's rate that should be addressed.

I don't think the Arceus-Ground set and spread that was provided is the right fit for this team. Arceus-Ground should rarely ever dip below 192+ Speed - doing so means you have no chance at being faster than Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, Mega Diancie, + Xerneas and Yveltal, Rayquaza, and about a dozen other things I won't list here. The only time a squad can justify letting go of these key speed benchmarks is when the rest of the team is ironclad vs. these and needs Arceus-Ground to have extra insurance vs. SD Primal Groudon. Looking at the final importable that is provided, this is not the case. There is moderate weaknesses to Mega Lucario, and SD Primal Groudon has coverage via Scarf Yveltal. In short, this squad cannot justify the luxury of over-covering SD Primal Groudon via Def heavy Arceus-Ground + Primal Kyogre + Scarf Yveltal when it has more pressing issues to address via what the norm Arceus-Ground spread offers.

There is another powerful Pokemon that comes to mind when looking at this importable, and it's Ho-Oh. Non-SD Arceus-Ground already have problems with Ho-Oh, but forgoing Toxic intensifies the problem immensely, especially when a strong Ho-Oh check was swapped out for one that's not a very good switch-in. Any team with a Ho-Oh and a SR setter that has solid matchup vs. Primal Groudon has their way. Same applies to Ho-Oh + good anti-hazard cores. Primal Kyogre is also a threat that is swept under the builder. To be fair the OP didn't even bother checking Primal Kyogre, but the final importable includes massive Ogre bait (Toxic-less support Arceus-Ground) and has Kyogre as the Kyogre check. A proper Arceus-Ground spread with Toxic helps with these, but I feel that the adjusted structure isn't as tight as it could be.

Moving from 3017's rate, basically you either build around the concept of doing a BO with Mega Meta and the offensive Pokes that the OP has, or you try to create a structure around Mega Metagross + an offensive parter (Primal Kyogre is what 3017 suggested). I'm going with the former as the OP does not elect to build with Primal Kyogre, and I think Xerneas and Yveltal are a fine base to move from (Mega Meta + P Ogre squads are fun though). The largest quirk with the OP's structure is that Mage is redundant. One of the justifications of using Mega Metagross is because it checks Xerneas - the OP explains this as wanting a more reactive check to Xerneas, but if that's really something you want Mega Metagross probably isn't the best Pokemon to build around. There's also defensive overlap between Xerneas and Mage, and there is an extremely limited number of teams that can justify these Pokemon together.

If you're keeping Mega Metagross, you swap Mage out for something else. To me the most obvious candidate is Arceus-Water since this basically condenses the defensive utility you want of Arceus-Ground + Primal Kyogre without compromising to Ho-Oh and P Ogre. This leaves you with a BO structure that has room to accommodate most offensive desires and defensive concerns via detailing. At this point I'd even be tempted to replace Mega Metagross with Mega Scizor since it gives you another toy to pivot around with. This kind of structure is really something that can run with a number of permutations and details, and is fun to play around with. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with the team.
So here's the team from your suggestions, and I'm having trouble deciding between SD or Toxic on Scizor, as Ho-oh and Groudon-P tend to switch in on Scizor, but yet +2 Scizor has a chance to OHKO Xerneas.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 SpD
Brave Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
- Judgment

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If your only considerations are Xern, Ho-Oh, and P Don performance with Mega Scizor, SD is better. Vs. Ho-Oh and P Don that come in you're clicking U-Turn and moving to your check. Meanwhile SD makes you more secure vs. Xern and can even potentially work as a win-con.

Also, my rate was to pick between Arceus-Ground + Primal Kyogre or using Arceus-Water + Zygarde-C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)