M&M Mix and Mega Suspect #6: Shadow Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting BAN
The ability to trap Mons is in my opinion unhealthy for the metagame

Gothitelle : its able to trap and beat certain key walls such as blissey and support arceus allows for certain mons like pidgeot deoxys speed and pidgeot genesect to run house. it puts people in places where they either have to make a double and risk their opponent going on the offensive or let their wall get 1v1'd and then have the threat that blissey came in on destroy after that.

Mega gengar: mega gengar, while not too common, paired with a special sweeper is very threatening because the common pidgeot gengar switch is blissey, if gengar has just came in the first time and its mega gengar, it will force the blissey switch and then hard wall blissey because blissey is too hard pressed for moves to run coverage as if its soft boiled it will want stoss, heal bell and toxic/rocks and if its wish then it will need stoss protect and heal bell. This removes the teams main spD wall allowing spA sweepers to just clean through in the late game
Slys mnm stag Recs.png

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting BAN (proof in second hide)

Shoutouts to my pokemon because they always freeze when I need them :^]

Z8kAKuTBT4yeK_y0zFJHIg.png

Last edited:

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reqs:
Despite being someone who was extremely Pro-Ban for Shadow Tag and Arena Trap in OU, my opinion here is quite different. While I do believe that there may be brutally effective manner/play-style in which Shadow Tag in MnM could be ban worthy, I don't think we have reached that point. From the little I have seen of Shadow Tag in tournaments, the teams utilizing it were underwhelming or poorly played, and there are quite a few teams that Gothitelle completely bricks against, like HO. I am in agreement with Chazm, where he pointed out that it is too early for people to form opinions or truly experience what Shadow Tag is capable of. Because of this, I am voting No Ban

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
gxe: 2772
account: tempering

1513554303110.png

No ban because I barely run into STag in MnM, and my go-to team has 3 solid physical wallbreakers (Ghostceus, Pdon, Golisopod) to ensure Goth's not as threatening even if it traps Blissey. MGar is slightly more annoying to deal w/, but again, I barely fight it so I don't care much.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
The suspect tour I had announced earlier will be held at 7PM Eastern (GMT-5) on the 18th in the Other Metas room. The winner and runner up of the tournament will automatically qualify for reqs. If you already have reqs, and you reach the final of this tournament, you don't get a second vote. I hope to see you there!

4PM 18th: GMT-8
0AM 19th: GMT+0
11AM 19th: GMT+11
you get the drill, it's 23 hours from the time of this post.

1513586098892.png

BAN. When your defense is it's not currently broken in the meta. It's a shitty defense to ban an ability that forces so many stupid mindgames and takes 1 of 2 core moves you have in a pokemon battle out (attacking and switching). Shadow tag can and will adapt if not banned as trapping abilities always seem to do.
My opinion

almost forgot to vote

Vote: BAN

Reasoning: Shadow Tag, solely as an ability, is inherently uncompetitive and I don't think many players would argue against this. That said, it wasn't until recently that I'd consider it broken. Previously, Mega Gengar was used as a check for stall(specifically sablenite blissey), but he was a one trick pony that arguably benefited more from holding Pidgeotite. However, with the rise of support Arceus, it also gave rise to Gothielle, which is where my issue lies. All things considered, Goth is subpar: her stats are underwhelming; she can't 1v1 a majority of the hyperoffensive meta; and she generally loses to anything with taunt. Yet despite her obvious flaws, she serves the purpose of countering stall extraordinarily well, to the point of invalidation, while also being able to take on a decent amount of bulky offensive mons. For quite a while, I even stopped using my favorite shuckle set, just because she posed that big of a threat if she were to switch in. In my opinion, I feel that a suspect test just on Gothielle would've been more in order, as Mega Gengar/Wobbufett are manageable, however I'm not against a test on STag as a whole, which is why I'm voting ban. I'm very interested however, if the majority vote were ban, if ubers/any of the other ubers based metas would follow suit with a test of their own.

1513822250357.png

Abstain

first and foremost i exclusively play dude hyper offense lmao so i have no frame of reference for what happens when gengar or goth survive for longer than one turn

secondly i'm not of the impression that shadow tag is banworthy so much as gothitelle with shadow tag and gengarite are banworthy
there's of course the debate over whether banning shadow tag or goth/gengarite would be more limiting, but ultimately i'm content to stay out of this and leave it to people who see the ability for more than thirty seconds a day

MNM REQS.png

As most of you have never seen me before, Ill make this brief.

I used Goth to get to rank 50 a few months ago and during that time I realized how powerful it really is. It beats stall, period, end of story. It doesn't have many drawbacks, and when played properly it can take out most of special PDons checks. It forms powerful cores with offensive mons and basically eliminates a play style from the meta. I was surprised at the time that more people didn't use goth, but even though it is not used often it is still an easy mon to slap on any team as a stallbreaker

I vote BAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)