Minior Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Minior
Rock/Flying
Abilities: Shield Down / Shield Down / Shield Down
HP: 60
Atk: 60
Def: 100
SpAtk: 60
SpDef: 100
Spe: 60

Level Up

L1 - Tackle
L3 - Defense Curl
L8 - Rollout
L10 - Confuse Ray
L15 - Swift
L17 - Ancient Power
L22 - Self-Destruct
L24 - Stealth Rock
L29 - Take Down
L31 - Autotomize
L36 - Cosmic Power
L38 - Power Gem
L43 - Double-Edge
L45 - Shell Smash
L50 - Explosion

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM64 - Explosion
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

New Ability

Shields Down: When its HP becomes half or less, the Pokémon’s shell breaks and it becomes aggressive.

Base stats after Shields Down activates:
HP: 60
Atk: 100
Def: 60
SpAtk: 100
SpDef: 60
Spe: 120

Last edited by a moderator:
Shell Smash sash set under psychic terrain to prevent priority revenge?

I avoid the white herb because you actually want to get below 50% as you get your smash boost going for the attack boost in shield down form. Weakness policy is also an option but probably riskier. It's super bullshit in the sense that it has some coverage on both sides of the physical/special spectrum and equal attacking stats so both types of sets will be viable, making it hard to predict exactly what he'll be doing.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

I avoid the white herb because you actually want to get below 50% as you get your smash boost going for the attack boost in shield down form. Weakness policy is also an option but probably riskier. It's super bullshit in the sense that it has some coverage on both sides of the physical/special spectrum and equal attacking stats so both types of sets will be viable, making it hard to predict exactly what he'll be doing.
60/100/100 really isn't that bulky. 1 good hit is putting you below 50, and at -1 you might just straight get OHKO'd. You're absolutely going for White Herb Acro on this thing, there's just no other way.

It's slow so it'll probably be hit to 50% and then use shell smash. Weakness policy sounds really good with psychic terrain

Never mind...

Honestly it's going to die at 50% anyways since its defenses fall due to its ability. Just go ham!!! Weakness policy!

This thing is strong because is bulky enough to stomach one supereffective hit, and then becomes fast and middly strong on both sides of the spectrum.

Shell Smash seems an auto-inclusion here in order to make good use of its initial bulk, but there are also Calm Mind and Rock Polish. This should be enough to do something before being revenge killed by some priority moves.

I'm quite impressed.

This thing reminds me of Hawlucha. Not the most reliable, but when it does work it will be devastating.

What about Substitute? That would allow you to reliably activate Shields Down after you've Shell Smashed, and Gem/EdgeQuake coverage may be enough. Could even throw in the berry of your choice or Herb and replace your Rock STAB with Acrobatics.

You can do White Herb with Acrobatics/Stone Edge/EQ/Dazzling Gleam. It has the stats to outspeed anything non-priority and OHKO a lot because it can attack either physically or defensively with similar power behind its moves. I was kind of thinking HP Fire for whatever the first three don't cover or put it in a sun team and give it Solar Beam for the Water types because it has that for some reason.

It can also work in a sand team because of its typing. I'm glad my favorite new Pokemon has this kind of potential.

How does Shields Down interact with Sitrus Berry? If it triggers before the berry is consumed and doesn't go back to its previous form, then you could give it that and have a way to heal it after Shields Down triggers, hopefully giving it a better chance to survive a second hit (also boosting Acrobatics)

And while it lacks a wide special attacking movepool, CM/Power Gem/Dazzling Gleam/Psychic seems okay. (Or Shell Smash)

It's quite interesting that it happens to learn Stealth Rock. Vital for pre-Bank. A Sash set with SR and Explosion could work as a suicide lead.

And of course, there's Shell Smash and its surprisingly scary movepool, both physical and special. Mixed White Herb actually does not sound bad, and with Base 120 Speed with Shields Down, it won't require much investment to outspeed several threats. It's also helped by only being weak to Ice Shard and Accelerock among priority moves. (EDIT: Also Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet. Forgot about them)

Cloyster just got replaced as best offensive Shell Smash user.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised by how usable this thing is looking lol. I really like Minior so I'm glad. Equally strong attack stats and fairly decent coverage on both sides meaning he can prepare for a variety of different possible threats. I'm excited.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
HOLY SHIT THIS THING LOOKS BROKEN. Shell Smash sweeps ahoy!
I wouldn't call it quite as clear cut as that. You kinda throw yourself at the mercy of Aqua Jet, and you're off the ground - so no Psychic terrain is going to save you (Unless Gravity... but that's just bordering on gimmicks tbh).

While shellsmash does seem pretty awesome, I am personally looking forward to the idea of a stealth rock lead- use it's starting bulk to set rocks, then start hitting to get as much mileage as you can out of the mon's offensive settings.

wouldn't something like cosmic power work too? you buff all you can before the ability activates, so you wont be so fragile later on.

but i agree, shell smash/acrobatics is the way to go

I like this pokemon; it may end up being one of this gen's biggest competitive surprises. I like that because it's so fast after Shields Down activates, it can afford to invest in some bulk which will help it with the initial setup. STAB Acrobatics/Stone Edge + Earthquake grants it fantastic coverage and lets it threaten just about anything. It's very vulnerable to priority though, and sadly isn't affected by Psychic Terrain due to not being grounded. I suspect it'll strongly appreciate the help of screen support and that priority users are removed before it tries to sweep.

Here's the set for reference:

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

The Speed EVs allow Minior to outrun base 115s if it hasn't changed forme yet after a Shell Smash, and outrun everything up to and including Scarfed base 130s after Shields Down activates.

An alternative spread is 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe which lets you outrun Tapu Koko after a boost while still in Shield forme.

Note: this is all assuming Minor doesn't change forme automatically following a Shell Smash, which is a possibility.

Last edited:
In a way, it reminds me of Aegislash in the sense that you set-up while being bulky and then attack with a frailer, more offensive form.
Dual 100 attacking stats is sorta underwhelming, but it gets Shell Smash. Small movepool, but gets EdgeQuake. Seems workable, the defensive typing is horrid though, did anyone mention the SR weakness?
I also wonder if lead sets need a Sash to work since starting 60/100/100 bulk is not easy to OHKO with a neutral move. Seems cool to set SR and change to offensive form for a fast Explosion, but it won't be strong - that 100 Attack is weak unboosted.

In a way, it reminds me of Aegislash in the sense that you set-up while being bulky and then attack with a frailer, more offensive form.
Dual 100 attacking stats is sorta underwhelming, but it gets Shell Smash. Small movepool, but gets EdgeQuake. Seems workable, the defensive typing is horrid though, did anyone mention the SR weakness?
I also wonder if lead sets need a Sash to work since starting 60/100/100 bulk is not easy to OHKO with a neutral move. Seems cool to set SR and change to offensive form for a fast Explosion, but it won't be strong - that 100 Attack is weak unboosted.
SR weakness is a problem if you intend to switch in multiple times. He still will be in defense form after one hit. You'll probably just send it out once and only once, and then you just kill as many things as you can until you crash and burn, like a true meteor. No need to worry about chip damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)