Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

Right, so I FINALLY got round to playing the demo version of this, and, honestly, I don't think i have the patience for it. It just seems like at the beginning your character is too weak to do anything and will die the minute he comes up against a small bunch of zombies. I died nine times in half an hour, which meant I never survived long enough to be able to acquire the resources to build anything useful. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this... but really video games should hook you from the start or you'll stop playing them, and that certainly wasn't the case for me here. I admire how many players this game has (is it 50 million now?) and I see the appeal, but I find it really difficult to play a game like this when I'm so used to games that you can play for fifteen minutes and have achieved something (which is 99% of games really, and probably why this game is so successful in the first place).

So convince me otherwise guys, because like I said I really admire the concept behind this thing and I really want to like it. And was everyone else's initial experience something like this or am I just terrible at it?

Right, so I FINALLY got round to playing the demo version of this, and, honestly, I don't think i have the patience for it. It just seems like at the beginning your character is too weak to do anything and will die the minute he comes up against a small bunch of zombies. I died nine times in half an hour, which meant I never survived long enough to be able to acquire the resources to build anything useful. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this... but really video games should hook you from the start or you'll stop playing them, and that certainly wasn't the case for me here. I admire how many players this game has (is it 50 million now?) and I see the appeal, but I find it really difficult to play a game like this when I'm so used to games that you can play for fifteen minutes and have achieved something (which is 99% of games really, and probably why this game is so successful in the first place).

So convince me otherwise guys, because like I said I really admire the concept behind this thing and I really want to like it. And was everyone else's initial experience something like this or am I just terrible at it?
It is true that Minecraft doesn't hook from the start. If you don't know what you are doing Minecraft is just frustrating and annoying, I was in the same boat as you. A friend convinced me to download the cracked version and read the wiki so I would learn how to craft and play the game and all that good stuff. After this I spent literally about 14 hours on Minecraft in one day and built a massive house, beat the enderdragon, and built some contraptions such as a simple mob farm. Minecraft can provide you with instant reward but it is the feeling of progression and freedom in Minecraft that I like so much.
Nowadays I play mostly on Skyblock and Survival servers but the single-player survival is truly what got me hooked.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Yeah Minecraft is not going to addict you from the minute in. I find it really difficult nowadays to make a new survival world because of that.

The thing is, as far as I'm concerned "not hooking me in immediately" is a crippling design flaw. I have just started a new job and don't have time to put in those hours of effort reading wikis and the like before a game becomes rewarding.

But on the flipside, how refreshing to start a new game and not immediately be deluged with tutorials. Actually, Minecraft kinda illustrates the point: nobody likes tutorials, but you need 'em (Lugi, you immediately looked round a ton of wikis: aren't they just an out-of-game tutorial?)

The thing is, as far as I'm concerned "not hooking me in immediately" is a crippling design flaw. I have just started a new job and don't have time to put in those hours of effort reading wikis and the like before a game becomes rewarding.

But on the flipside, how refreshing to start a new game and not immediately be deluged with tutorials. Actually, Minecraft kinda illustrates the point: nobody likes tutorials, but you need 'em (Lugi, you immediately looked round a ton of wikis: aren't they just an out-of-game tutorial?)
Most people don't read the wiki as much as I did but everyone I know who is into minecraft has read something off the wiki when they first started.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Try an adventure map, noobcubed. They're custom built maps that serve to emulate a legitimate story or quest inside the 'walls' so to speak of Minecraft.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
noobcubed if you're looking for a good adventure map, try one from Vechs' Super Hostile series. They're a little removed from what others might think of as an "adventure" map as you can still break and place blocks. You need to adventure around the map collecting all the different colors of wool (which you aren't allowed to craft) and place them on a structure called the "Victory Monument." Oh, and there's about every bad guy in the world in your way. Have fun. Sunburn Islands is a good one for beginners, as is Inferno Mines.

Started making a Minecraft racing course map (no piggy)The first course has been made (Haybale Farm).

If you're wondering what the fifth image is, it's the start of the biggest course I'm doing, and it's gonna take ages to complete.

I've been thinking... is anybody interested in me opening up this map as a server for everybody to make their own courses? PM me with your thoughts!

What shader is that?

Edit: how's the realms server goin? My comp messed up a while back and haven't been on in a long time but should be on soon :D

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
I usually build things in survival, but I do build in creative from time to time.

Anyone playing the Attack of the B Team mod pack, do you have any tips for getting rid of the Minefactory sludge generating underground? It's the work of Satan and won't go away no matter how many blocks I place down.

EDIT: Hurr. It's Galacticraft oil. It's harmless, but still irritating.

Last edited:
Does anyone here build things in creative? ;o

Also Eagle, that course looks amazing
I've actuslly used Creative to map out a floor plan and build up a house I was looking at buying (which I eventually did), then subbing in furniture placement to get an idea of how/where I wanted things to be. Granted it's not that super to scale, but being able to...I dunno...simulate it was pretty cool after the walking tour and such.

I also did one of a house I used to live in, as we as designing ones I'd build if I actually had any money. As well as the other usual fantastical things like pixel art, castles, etc. It's lots of fun in that vein without any dumb creepers or endermen ruining things.

Technically there's still Kinneas' server at least!!! Not quite rest in peace!!!

On that topic, who all is on that? I miss people and multiplayer Minecraft, and every time I log onto there I'm all alone.......

That sounds so whiny of me.

EDIT: Oh dang this is my 626th post. In honor of that:

EDIT 2: I might be wrong... It looks like Kinneas doesn't have the Realm up anymore. Blocky tears have been shed.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The server should still be up. There's 9 days left on the subscription and I didn't take it down.

I will happily renew the server subscription if people actually want to play together, but barely anybody from Smogon regularly plays on it at the moment and it's not really worth me renewing if only one or two people are using it.

Yeah it showed back up on my list. I guess my Internet blipped at that exact moment or something...

So who else here is interested in continuing Kinneas' Smogcraft??? XD

Dont renew until new update imo, I stopped playing because my comp is messed up+it got a bit boring...

Last edited:
Hi.
I don't know what the current server situation is so I'll drop this here-
My friends and I are going to be setting up a private server this Friday, hopefully have everything up and running by Sunday. We're going to be running it for at least 6 months regardless of if smogon plays on it or not so if Kinneas isn't comfortable renewing a subscription with so little activity we'll be having this server for you guys. If anyone's interested I'll post the IP when we have it up.

I have over 200 hours in this game yet I have never beaten the ender dragon in survival, neither single player or multiplayer. This is due to many reasons: get bored with the preparation and usually get all the supplies excluding the ender pearls which brings me to another reason. Ender man hunting is a pain so I can use eyes of ender to find the end portal so I often never do it. I'm fairly certain I have the skill/experience to beat it first try and I've created my own iron golem farms and etc. Any tips to help me make it to the end? (pun intended)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)