Milotic Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview

So I noticed that most of the Milotic strategies on Smogdex are utility and based around physical defence and utilising Milotic's good movepool. I couldn't agree with any of the analyses there because it has left out the best Milotic set- possibly the most complete Pokemon set in competitive gaming. This set is built around utilising Milotic's access to both recover and refresh and its great SpDef stat (125 base).
It's ability "Competitive" is the special version of Defiant. This means that any stat drops results in a +2 raise in SpA. This can be helpful against bulky walls like Florges that stay alive with Wish/Protect/Moonblast combos. And since Milotic's speed is more than enough to outspeed almost ever other wall, a Speed drop from sticky web is a great thing.
Another great thing about Milotic is its typing. Although, Water is one of the most common types in the game, it has to be remembered that most o' the times, it is coupled with something else- making it weaker. But as a pure water type, it's only weaknesses are electric and grass. The strongest electric move is thunder; but even a thunder from Mega-Ampharos at Max SpA does less than OHKO damage. And while there is a 30% chance to OHKO from a Mega Sceptile max SpA leaf storm; the fake of a ice beam is enough to scare it out. On the physical front, even a wild charge by adamant mega mewtwo x fails to OHKO. And in most other cases, these two types are offensive mostly via Hidden Power- virtually powerless against Milotic.
It can work as a pivot switch- even a Draco Meteor from Specs Max SpA Hydreigon doesn't 2HKO Milotic.
And it can withstand any physical attack on turn one and hit out a scald that could possibly burn them and give it the edge.
It can use competitive and it's decent SpA stat can threaten out most Pokes (including every non-electric/grass max Att non-banded physical attackers)
Access to Recover and Refresh means that it can take on non-grass type walls.
It's nemesis is leech seed though. If there was a way to get leech seed off from Milotic- then no Pokemon would be able to withstand Milotic!

Perfect Pokemon Set

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Refresh

The description of the moves and set details have been sorted in the overview.

Team Suggestions

As stated, Milotic does have a weakness to leech seed and more over, if you are not careful, it could end up being set up fodder for entry hazard setters and set-up sweepers. A good defensive pairing can solve this issue altogether. The best of my recommendations include two Pokemon that you could do with just one, and if you're daring, go with both.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost

This provides good support to Milotic. It's a physical wall that can TANK a lot of hits and, also has whirlwind, to faze out set-upers.

The other alternative/addition is

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Taunt

Any Pokemon that wants to take advantage of Milotic's admittedly weaker physical defence should face Mandibuzz. I have found that the partnership of Milotic and Mandibuzz provides the best base to build your team on. While they share electric weakness, that's the only flaw in this partnership.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, welcome to Smogon. First of all, this isn't the way to write a Pokemon analysis, and I would strongly recommend going here to learn the formatting of how to write a Pokemon analysis. You also need sufficient OU metagame knowledge to be able to write an acceptable analysis for this tier. In addition, Milotic doesn't really have a niche in OU as is, as it is for the most part outclassed by other bulky Water-types and doesn't really make use of Competitive well either. For these reasons I'd be pretty amazed if this makes it through QC.

sry milotic is unviable and the process for writing an analysis wasn't followed. please read the rules in the reservation index next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)