Metalheads United ;D

well since everybody else is doing I'm just going to say that that list has some awesome bands and some shitty ones too so w/e

Also I need more death/doom. Asphyx, Autopsy and Acid Witch are fucking awesome. I also am in the process of checking out Winter and Hooded Menace but idk where to go from there so if anyone wants to recommend me stuff feel free.
edit: also js if you are going to recommend me stuff like katatonia, paradise lost, my dying bride, etc then just don't because that's not the death/doom i'm looking for

Also Acid Witch are so fucking cool all of you should listen to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7iQs23y6I

Psychedelic death/doom sorta thing. Like Asphyx meets Electric Wizard. Sorta.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i meant the band. they have some death metal elements for sure, and they certainly have a psychedelic sound.

I'd be interested to see what you retort with, it might give me some new bands :D
As far as thrash metal and death metal goes, which looks like that's what he's going for with that list:

Pestilence
Tribulation
Repugnant
Early Sepultura
Massacra
Merciless

And for more straight up death metal and black/death metal (which I've been getting into pretty heavily lately):

Necros Christos
Weapon
Immolation
Incantation
Teitanblood
Necrovation
Cemetery Urn
Ulcerate

If there's anything more specific you're looking for I could probably help you out with that too

edit: that's not to say there wasn't some good stuff on his list. Nothing wrong with Megadeth, Exodus, Iron Maiden, etc.

If anyone wants more thrash, here's a good list for that

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/VelociBrad/top_30_thrash_albums

As far as thrash metal and death metal goes, which looks like that's what he's going for with that list:

Pestilence
Tribulation
Repugnant
Early Sepultura
Massacra
Merciless

And for more straight up death metal and black/death metal (which I've been getting into pretty heavily lately):

Necros Christos
Weapon
Immolation
Incantation
Teitanblood
Necrovation
Cemetery Urn
Ulcerate

If there's anything more specific you're looking for I could probably help you out with that too

edit: that's not to say there wasn't some good stuff on his list. Nothing wrong with Megadeth, Exodus, Iron Maiden, etc.

If anyone wants more thrash, here's a good list for that

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/VelociBrad/top_30_thrash_albums
Man stop judging so god damn hard. He not only going for ^ stuff. He's also checking out atmospheric black metal and folk metal and other obscure genres within metal and not just straight up black/death/doom. And the some of the other bands are pretty essential listening for any metal head. Maybe yours are superior but that's the beauty of perception. I admit to not liking 1 or 2 of the bands. Example. Metallica. But I still heard all there stuff to see what they were about and to form an opinion. Get my point?

And wow, Acid Witch sounds really cool. You have me interested :) will snatch an album to get a feel of it...

Man stop judging so god damn hard. He not only going for ^ stuff. He's also checking out atmospheric black metal and folk metal and other obscure genres within metal and not just straight up black/death/doom. And the some of the other bands are pretty essential listening for any metal head. Maybe yours are superior but that's the beauty of perception. I admit to not liking 1 or 2 of the bands. Example. Metallica. But I still heard all there stuff to see what they were about and to form an opinion. Get my point?

And wow, Acid Witch sounds really cool. You have me interested :) will snatch an album to get a feel of it...
Smogon should make this website more like Facebook so I can like your post :D

What do you think of Melechesh? And I need more progressive metal other than Opeth, Symphony X and Dream Theater. :/

They only have two out. Witchtanic Hellucinations and Stoned. Their both pretty damn good, I think I prefer the former though.
Most awesome site for metal newbies ever, and should still be interesting to metal veterans:

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

I recommend clicking the fullscreen option in the upper right hand corner while viewing the page.
I've always thought the best way to get an opinion on music was to start talking to the "veterans" over forums, going to shows, etc. On forums especially you get a lot more opinions on it, and not just from people who only dig metal music.

My main problem with sites like that, from just a quick glance, is that you're only getting an opinion from a handful of people. It just doesn't let you branch out more. If you ask me, the best way to expand your music taste is to go to sites like Rate Your Music, Last.fm, etc, where you can look up top albums (on the former) and get band suggestions (from the latter), go to forums where you can try out bands that people are talking about, sites like MetalThrone, AllMetalForums, etc etc. Fuck even Metal-Archives is pretty useful.

When I see a site like that, the first thing I think is "whoever's using this isn't getting a valid opinion. They're just listening to what they're told by one group is "classics" instead of hearing from a bunch of different groups".

Is it just that I'm bat shit insane? Or?

There really were very few worthwhile bands on that list outside of the essentials like Sabbath and Priest.

There really were very few worthwhile bands on that list outside of the essentials like Sabbath and Priest.
If I start listing then this could be awhile.
but ill copy paste a few.

Essential Heavy Metal:
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Balck Sabbath
Pantera

Pantera was like the first groove metal band with great power ballads. Great stuff even with the sterotype of being shitty. Thats where opinions kick in and not be influenced by purist snobs...

Not really essential but Motorhead in a way is the british Ac/dc and its nice to hear what Lemmy has to say.

Essential thrash:
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Metallica (up to ... And Justice for all)

Big for of thrash. My preference in that order.

Stuff I think he trying which is different:

Wolves In The Throne Room
Eluviete
Nightwish
Draconian
Amon Amarth
Celtic Frost

And a whole lot more.
I could list more but now I'm tired of scrolling.

Your intentions were good :) just don't ridicule others taste cause you don't agree with them.

@Adm Empoleon

Never really heard Melechesh so your on own on this one :p
As for prog metal,
Here's the good stuff.

Queensrÿche - One of the earlier prog acts.
Riverside - Progressive Rock/metal. Very Psychedelic if you ask me. I really enjoy them.
Ihsahn - Guitarist for emperor. His solo work is brilliant. Especially his new album After. well its Progressive Black Metal to be more accurate.
Barren Earth - Awesome Melodic Death/Progressive Metal. Though they have released only one album and ep. Very Enjoyable.
Tool - How can I not list these guys. One of my favourite artists.
Arcturus - Avant-gardeish progressive stuff. Been listening to them a whole lot lately.

You can google them and decide which ones appeal to you and get those but I personally think they are all great.

@nevermore

Got hold of witchcraft. Going to give it a listen this week. will hit back once I finish enjoying it.
Already youtubed a couple of tracks and thought it was pretty great ;)

And I need more progressive metal other than Opeth, Symphony X and Dream Theater. :/
Pain Of Salvation - since you like those other bands, you will find PoS very accessible. Start with Remedy Lane, then Scarsick and BE. The Perfect Element Pt. 1 is arguably their absolute best album but it's a grower so probably leave that for later. All of their albums are good for that matter, other than Road Salt (their newest one).
Green Carnation - they have some slight doom influences as well. The Quiet Offspring is a quite essential album imo.
Porcupine Tree - their last 4 albums have a lot of metal influences, many riffs wouldn't be out of place on a Tool or Opeth record (Mikael Akerfeldt actually played and sang on a couple of songs on Deadwing)
maudlin of the Well - these guys throw in death metal, jazz, prog rock, doom, ambient, post-rock, sludge, neoclassical, everything, and even use a wide range of instruments. Start with their Bath album, you won't be disappointed by it I think.
and of course Tool.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
pantera isn't "essential heavy metal". they're probably the band most responsible for giving "metalheads" a bad name.

early fates warning, on the other hand, is essential heavy metal.

Eluviete
Nightwish
Draconian
Amon Amarth
Celtic Frost
How is any of this "different"? None of these bands are particularly obscure or interesting. Celtic Frost is highly influential thrash/first-wave bm. (It is also the only actually good band in the truncated selection quoted above; I suppose WitTR is about as good as atmospheric USBM gets, which is not very.) Other than the very few genuine "essentials", what comprises his list? Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities.

Also I'm not sure in which universe being comparison with AC/DC is a good thing. Cretinous generic "hell-raising" about booze, balls, and rock-n-roll? Sounds like a party...

If I start listing then this could be awhile.
but ill copy paste a few.

Essential Heavy Metal:
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Balck Sabbath
Pantera

Pantera was like the first groove metal band with great power ballads. Great stuff even with the sterotype of being shitty. Thats where opinions kick in and not be influenced by purist snobs...

Not really essential but Motorhead in a way is the british Ac/dc and its nice to hear what Lemmy has to say.
Agreed except for Pantera which is a bad band that makes bad music

Essential thrash:
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Metallica (up to ... And Justice for all)

Big for of thrash. My preference in that order.
A lot of stuff from their discog's are not essential but each bad certainly has put out classics

Eluviete
Nightwish
Draconian
Amon Amarth
Celtic Frost
Nothing here is "different" besides maybe Celtic Frost. The rest are just mediocre in their respective genres

edit: and yeah, melodeath in general is just bad so try to avoid it

Your intentions were good :) just don't ridicule others taste cause you don't agree with them.
I'm just trying to set him in the right direction, something I wish happened to me long before it actually did. And I don't think it's really his "taste" considering he hasn't even downloaded them yet, so I'm definitely helping him out in this case.

How is any of this "different"? None of these bands are particularly obscure or interesting. Celtic Frost is highly influential thrash/first-wave bm. (It is also the only actually good band in the truncated selection quoted above; I suppose WitTR is about as good as atmospheric USBM gets, which is not very.) Other than the very few genuine "essentials", what comprises his list? Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities.

Also I'm not sure in which universe being comparison with AC/DC is a good thing. Cretinous generic "hell-raising" about booze, balls, and rock-n-roll? Sounds like a party...
Why don't you suggest bands instead of insulting? And the fuck do mean by "Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities."?

Why don't you suggest bands instead of insulting? And the fuck do mean by "Cheesy third-rate melodeath, saccharine European flower metal, and miscellaneous mediocrities."?
I think it's pretty apparent what I'm referring to when I say that: Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Manowar, Dream Theater, etc. etc.

As for suggestions, popemobile is definitely on the right track. Most of my suggestions should seem fairly obvious for their respective genres.

Heavy/power:

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within
Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don't Break the Oath
Adramelch - Irae Melanox
King Diamond - Abigail
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Black Sabbath - first 4 or 5 albums
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Brocas Helm
Helstar

80s Manilla Road
80s Iron Maiden

Death:

Massacra - Final Holocaust, Enjoy the Violence
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, Piece of Time
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours, With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, Gardens of Grief
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Privilege of Evil
Demilich - Nespithe
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Abramelin - Abramelin
Ingurgitating Oblivion - Voyage Towards Abhorrence
Miasma - Changes
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Gorguts
Immolation
Septic Flesh
Morbid Angel

Thrash:

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, Flag of Hate
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood
Sodom - Expurse of Sodomy, Persecution Mania
Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Sepultura
Voivod
Hellhammer / Celtic Frost

Black:

Bethlehem - Dark Metal
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Reverence, Emperor
Enslaved - Hordanes Land, Vikingligr Veldi
Burzum - Burzum, Aske, Det som engang var, Filosofem, Hvis lyset tar oss
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust
Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Light's Bane
Immortal - Pure Holocaust, Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Vinterland
Kvist
Dawn
Aeternus
Sacramentum
Summoning
Averse Sefira
Bathory

Doom:

Skepticism
Mournful Congregation
Worship
Esoteric
Ras Algethi
Evoken
Funeral
Dolorian
Winter

I'll second all of those recs (although I'm not a fan of At The Gates or Amorphis, and I haven't listened to half of the black metal or doom metal bands).

Also for the Doom list, add Bongripper and Pillars

edit: and for the Death list, add Drawn and Quartered because they are seriously one of the best death metal bands ever

edit2:
death/doom: diSEMBOWELMENT
add Asphyx to this too. The whole death/doom genre is something I've been trying to get into lately but I'm backlogged into 2012 right now

add Asphyx to this too. The whole death/doom genre is something I've been trying to get into lately but I'm backlogged into 2012 right now
I already know Asphyx bro. But thanks anyway. Unless you were just saying this in general and not directed at me.

I think I have a Disembowelment album but I haven't listened to it. I'll get around to that. Eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)