Metagame Metagamiate

I’ve been using Kartana myself and I think Kartana isn’t that broken. Ppl just don’t not bother to carry Grass/Steel resist when there are actually quite plenty of them to choose from, not just Arcanine lol. What about Zard forms? Zapdos? Thundy? Celesteela (which is underrated imo)? Magnezone? Even Intimidate Gyarados? C’mon, be creative ppl. And people who carry those doesn’t have problems with Kart.

Zygarde IS broken however. It’s check is very few and you are forced to use obscure crap like Whimsicott because Zygarde can tank a hit, ESPECIALLY when you pair it with Koko and Electric Seed. Bulu and Clefable gets smacked by Iron Tail/Sludge Bomb and everything else just got Espeed/Arrows. But the REAL thing that made me hate it is that 95% of the time Zygarde is UNREVENGEABLE because it has DD + E-speed AND high bulk. Because of this, you can’t even revenge it using Scarf and that is BS.

TLDR, ban Zygarde, DNB Kartana.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower

Kartana @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fell Stinger
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- V-create
- Return
- Thunder Punch

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Last Resort

Can I submit a S A M P L E T E A M??? this is my HO for metagamiate and it seems to work really nicely.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Long awaited Viability Rankings are here! Approved by Pikachuun
Thanks to motherlove and Arkeis for helping out.

Gen 7 Metagamiate Viability Rankings:

S-Rank:

Kartana
Noivern
Zygarde

A-Rank:

A+

Arcanine
Landorus-T
Medicham-Mega
Tapu Koko

A

Aerodactyl-Mega
Gliscor
Jirachi
Marowak-Alola
Tapu Bulu
Tapu Lele

A-

Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Gyarados-Mega
Hawlucha
Hoopa-Unbound
Scizor
Stakataka
Tyranitar-Mega
Weavile

B-Ranks:

B+

Beedrill-Mega
Chansey
Doublade
Hippowdon
Magearna
Lopunny-Mega
Slowbro-Mega
Terrakion
Zeraora

B

Azelf
Araquanid
Barbaracle
Celesteela
Charizard-Mega X
Crawdaunt
Entei
Gyarados
Kommo-O
Lucario
Mawile-Mega
Steelix-Mega
Tangrowth
Zapdos

B-

Altaria-Mega
Avalugg
Breloom
Carbink
Cloyster
Cresselia
Mimikyu
Rhyperior
Scizor-Mega
Togekiss

C-Rank:

Diancie
Flygon
Lycanroc-D
Omastar
Tapu Fini
Whimsicott

Like always, this is open for discussion, where changes will be made hopefully as quickly as possible as the month progresses.

Also, obligatory ban Kart mention...

Drop Kartana to A, A-.

5 Pokemon in A ranks and 5 in B that switch in on Kartana's STABs every time and force it out, and this list doesn't even have Magneton or Magnezone, both of whom remove Kartana outright if they come in on anything but Sacred Sword.

And please ban Zygarde.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Drop Kartana to A, A-.

5 Pokemon in A ranks and 5 in B that switch in on Kartana's STABs every time and force it out, and this list doesn't even have Magneton or Magnezone, both of whom remove Kartana outright if they come in on anything but Sacred Sword.

And please ban Zygarde.
Five mons out of 19. Sounds cool. Now out of these five, how much can come in on coverage? That's what I thought. Regardless of your opinions on the matter, its a fact that Kartana is a defining and centralising Pokémon in the metagame and most certainly worthy of its rank. Knock Off also handly beats Magnezone on Band sets if it tries to switch in as well. (Guys don't sleep on Band its hilariously powerful)

Tbh I've mostly been running fatter teams so not had too many issues with Zygarde, but "Coil and Dragon Dance have wildly different counters, all of which can still be ganked by Dragon or Ground Extreme Speed." sounds weird to me. How is any of them passing stuff like defensive buzzwole, avalugg, porygon2, curse gliscor, landorus-T or megabro?

Terrakion to A/A- imo.

After using this, I swear this thing is underrated and idk why the hell ppl don’t use this at all. Life Orb with a move set of SD, Return, CC and Quick Attack covers nearly everything aside of the very rare Doublade and it demolished MANY people that attempts to check defensively, while dealing heavy damage to Noivern with Quick Attack. It is 1 point slower than Kartana which is unfortunate but it has WAY less switchin than Kartana.

I have a few things to say about this metagame:

Mega Aerodactyl A -> A+/S

I'm shocked I dont see this on the ladder very much. M-Aerodactyl beats just about every top tier pokemon in this metagame with this set.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

Being the fastest pokemon in the game and bulky enough to tank priority moves in this game. Another amazing part about Aerodactyl is that you can spam Double Edge before M-Evolving without any consequences. It's damage is about equal to Specs Noivern, outdamaging Non-Specs version. Speaking of Noivern.

Alot of people need to switch over to the SCARF set. There's not alot in this metagame that's taking a non boosted Boomburst anyways since stall is pretty rare. Being able to outspeed threats like Kartana, tapu lele(both which are always scarfed) +1 Zygarde without dragon Espeed, and All Ddancers in general is a huge game changer.

EDIT: O and DO NOT BAN KARTANA. It is the best sweeper in this metagame but it has alot of hurdles that prevent it from sweeping right away. Ironically, magnezone(its best check) is also one of its best partners as well. Being able to get rid of steel types that prevent it from sweeping is huge

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Here I come with a new underrated set:

Skarmory @ Mago Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 8 Def / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Iron Head / Spikes / Filler

In the official tiers where Skarmory is available, it's common sense to say that the sd weak armor is a cheesy, meme set which isn't good at all, for many reasons. However, after playing several games in the Metagamiate ladder, I've realised that skarmory can be a decent set up sweeper. First of all, its raw bulk and defensive typing is more than ever interesting in a metagame with Kartana as the main powerhouse. Secondly, the flying stab, even without a huge atk stat, is very solid against a good part of the metagame. At last, Weak Armor is surprisingly good, Skarmory can switch in (not safely though) many fake out users, like psychic Medicham-Mega or normal Lopunny-Mega get a +2 speed boost, and Ohko them with Frustration.

Considering that Sacred Sword "bypasses" the defenses buffs and debuffs, scarfed kartana (probably not the most played set but I only see It) cannot threaten Skarmory, and allow it to freely uses SD on it, and had the potential to clean a game if the flying switchs are weakened.

Roost is great against some Pokémon like Landorus-Therian, Excadrill or Beedrill-mega, which cannot touch you very hard, but will not be crucial in every matchups. Iron head can be played to touch things like Aerodactyl-Mega or Tyranitar which resist to Frustration, Spikes is always a decent choice regardless of the metagame, you can put everything you need to on this last slot.

252 Atk Tough Claws Aerodactyl-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 234-276 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 262-310 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 269-317 (80.5 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 163-193 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Explosion vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Skarmory: 197-232 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

76+ Atk Skarmory Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 198-234 (65.7 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76+ Atk Skarmory Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 300-354 (114.9 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76+ Atk Skarmory Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 276-326 (101.8 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 76+ Atk Skarmory Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 333-393 (118.5 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 76+ Atk Skarmory Frustration vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 315-372 (101.2 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 76+ Atk Skarmory Frustration vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 312-367 (120 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)