Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So the other day I picked up Melee when some of my sister's friends visited and we ended up playing until 5 AM which was great fun. I wanna start playing it seriously 'cause I recently found out that there's a weekly Melee event that happens not far from my house which'd be good fun and a good way for me to not spend my entire life locked up in my house being antisocial. First things first comes getting the techskill etc. down. Does anyone have any specific tips for practicing things like L canceling and wavedashing and other stuff (if there are any simple tech skills/similar things that you think are important for getting down as a priority, saying them would be a massive help too as it will focus my practice), or is it just a matter of keeping doing them for hours on end?

Also one other thing is how do people get used to the left stick not always agreeing with what you want to do? Is it just that I'm not lining it up properly or is there another way of circumventing it?
L-Cancelling is probably the best technique to learn in Melee and it's the easiest shit ever; you just have to time your press in the 7 frames for when you're about to land, which is a pretty big window if you ask me. Being able to halve your landing lag from all moves is so good, especially on characters with huge landing lag such as Ganon. This allows you to react and move faster to your opponent and missing the L-Cancel which can be as costly as losing a whole game. This should be the first thing you should try to master, then move on to SHFFL (Shorthop Fastfall L-Cancel).

Wavedashing is also pretty big, because being able use an attack, dodge, or jump while having forward momentum is pretty cool. However while I still recommend you learn it (and use Luigi first to learn it), it isn't what I'd say is absolutely necessary because it's less general reward than L-cancelling but also harder to pull off.

As for your controller, it may just be you, or more likely be the controller itself. I don't really have this issue myself so I don't really know.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Finally stumbled upon a threat regarding melee its about time lol. With n0ne beating m2k twice and my boy s2j being up 2 games against armada (but still sadly losing the set), i think modern falcon mains are pushing falcon to the limit, getting closer and closer to proving that falcon can indeed win a major. Not to mention wizzrobe (who i dont like all that much tbh) was in GF against hbox at smash rivalries, a huge feat. And then theres $mike... getting 17th at CEO with falcon (placing higher than ryan ford, mafia, slox and even gravy, who are all ranked higher on the MIOM rankings). Obviously 17th isnt the best but thats a decent placing for someone at his skill caliber, especially when you factor in the # of entrants and such.

TLDR: falcon is on the rise, kicking ass along the way

I agree that falcon is on the rise, but I really question if falcon is on a rise on the tier list. Like falcon is definitely better than ics I have absolutely no idea why falcon was below ics on the official tier list though lol. But like I can see falcon being better than MAYBE peach but even that's a bit of a stretch imo.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
I agree that falcon is on the rise, but I really question if falcon is on a rise on the tier list. Like falcon is definitely better than ics I have absolutely no idea why falcon was below ics on the official tier list though lol. But like I can see falcon being better than MAYBE peach but even that's a bit of a stretch imo.
A good way to look at a tier list is to remove the gods, and then consider how good a character is. Even though it ends up skewing the results for say Jigglypuff, because of its "un-fun" circumstances that persuades people to pick say Fox, Falco, or Falcon over it, it's just better this way. Thinking off-hand of the MIOM Top 100, Falcon is definitely higher on the tier list as a character than Peach, whether or not it's written as such. The level of play that can currently be accomplished by Falcon players over Peach players is obviously higher, just look at Wizzrobe and S2J's runs over the past year compared to Trifasia, Bladewise, and MacD. If you want to compare players more on the same level of skill, then go Gahtzu with MacD and Jeapie with Trifasia for a better comparison. ICs wise, I don't think they can be tiered on a list where wobbling is legal. They can be top tier and mid tier at the same time so it's hard to say.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Mango vs Armada was definitely the best set so far this year. GG mango and fuck everyone who says hes a washed up alcoholic who streams mario kart even tho he is

Raidx

Banned deucer.
TBH7 was full of upsets ( rip Abate and Westballz) and had some great sets. I sadly missed Plup vs Armada (did they play on stream?), that's a super crazy upset I reeeaaally need to see that. I was low key hoping leffen would beat hbox in losers so we would see plup vs leffen GFs but alas :/ Gz to hbox I guess...

Raidx

Banned deucer.
This ain't a tourney or anything but man, this combo by at around 7:15 by Phil was one of the cleanest and swiftest I've seen in a while. Shit was sick as hell jesus

Raidx

Banned deucer.

oh my fucking god i know this is a bump but plup beat hbox in gfs to win a supermajor, this man might as well be a god now.
MELEE IS SAVED
I was saying the same thing in the smash room on ps LOL mans beat armada at big house + won the tour, then he 3-0s armada at genesis and beating hbox in gf's to take the tour. He's definitely a god in my eyes plupW Raidx is now property of the plup club plupW

Just gonna bump because melee is amazing, long live melee.
What are your guys' melee hot takes?
Mine:
Crush is absolutely insane and will most definitely be top 10 by the end of the year, after having beaten multiple gods.
Puff sucks and anyone who puts her above falco is crazy
Jerry is going to be the breakout player of the year, and he'll be at least top 40 at the end of the year.
M2K is gonna fall off pretty hard this year. I know that we always say this every single year but it's going to happen at some point and I think this is the year.
Also who do you guys will win the national arcadian on sunday?
I'm from Chicago, so saying anything besides Michael4100000000000000 is straight up treason. Outside of that though I'd say that my sleeper pick to at least turn some heads and maybe even win has to be my good pal Fluid, the dude spanked Fiction at genesis and just yesterday double eliminated vro and took Kels to last stock game 5 in the most insane last stock I've ever seen. The dude is absolutely insane with ICs and barely even wobbles since he sucks at it lol. Additionally though I think that if Michael goes down Cob has a huge chance to win it alongside Reeve. I'm super excited to go to the arcadian this sunday though. Also is anyone here going to Full Bloom? Super pumped to go to that as well.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
evo was a wild ride this year. on saturday, m2k got sent to losers by rishi, or smashg0d, after he clutched g2 and won g3 due to chokes. later, armada was sent to losers by swedish delight, which is one of the biggest upsets in recent times. i know evo brackets are wack but nonetheless, armada is a player thatll almost always be in the winners side of top 8, i dont even remember the last time he was sent to losers like this so hes gonna have to pull a mang0 and come in losers. the nutty part of both of these upsets is that both m2k and armada had to fight for 13TH place, not in top 8, not 9th, 13th. the set was very close, m2k took g1 and was about to take g2 and move on but armada gets back up, clutches g2, and pulls a stitch to win g3, beating m2k. after beating zain to get into top 8 and almost losing the set against s2j, armada had to fight mango, hbox and plup all in a row in losers. he beat all of them and got to grand finals, but missed the 3vo convincingly to leffen. still an incredible losers run however, and was extremely fun to watch. cant say the same for sm4sh tho, specifically the grand finals.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Leffen played out of his mind. That was probably his best performance of his career so far. Fucking wild man

S2J was this close to beating armada again but alas :( he's definitely capable of beating armada, but man armada is so damn clutch it's pretty scary. Also armada's losers run was pretty insane, as well as swedish delight sending him to losers :o This evo was amazing

racks

Banned deucer.
Personal Thoughts on the results of EVO 2018

• Leffen taking the event via winners side goes to show how much he has grown mentally (even beating hbox who he was 1-7 against prior to evo i believe)
  • Leffen proves that he's capable of completing tasks that some of the gods aren't able to do (only 4 other evo winners, and only 3 / 5 of the gods have won an evo)
  • Leffen is the only evo winner that has never been considered the #1 player
  • Swedish Delight knocking Armada into losers (1st time in 6 years armada has dropped a set to a non top 6 player) shows that sheiks can still do it in this meta and that upsets (even verses the swedish sniper) are very much possible (especially in bo3)
  • M2K not making top 8 isn't something most of us are surprised by. Despite winning smash summit 6, I think it's clear hes not the same beast he used to be. I think he'll struggle to maintain the same results the rest of the top 6 members are notorious for getting.
  • With amSa (top 10 player) never playing in the top 8 of any EVO and Axe (another top 10 player) not playing top 8 in the last 3 EVOs, it can be suggested that bo3 doesn't obscure favor character mains at all.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
OH MY GOOOOOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Screenshot_20180826-222658~2.png

To maybe give this post more substance...
  • Zains fuckin nuts, loved his use of dancing blade to prop hbox into the position he wanted
  • Shame SFAT choked up a bit, still hoping for the return of 2016 SFAT
  • I wonder if Mango will drop out of Top 6 this year, given his shaky performances and Zain on the comeup...then again there arent too too many tournaments left this year (big ones are Big House and Summit afaik) so maybe not
  • Rip the 50k collusion :blobsad:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)