Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So after taking a hiatus from competitive Smash for a few months, I've decided I'm going to start playing Melee competitively. Before my hiatus I was mostly playing Smash 4 (since Brawl died) and a bit of 64/P:M, but I'll be going to a Melee tournament tomorrow night and starting next week I'll be hopefully attending smashfests and meet-ups for the game. I plan on playing Peach and Marth. I'm gonna get bodied but I know I'm gonna have fun.

Melee is so, so, so much fun to watch and I will forever root for aMSa and maybe one day he'll get a major win at a tournament and it'll be the happiest day of my life.

Ok, here we go
MVG SANDSTORM PREVIEW
Basics:
  • April 18th (today) and 19th, in Arizona
  • Melee, PM, and Smash 4
  • Bracket, schedule, and stream
  • Notable Players: Armada, Mang0, Leffen, Mew2king, JimJamFlimFlam, Hungrybox, Axe, Wobbles, Westballz, MacD, HugS, Gahtzu, PC Chris, Forward, Tai, Medz
I don't really feel like doing a full writeup, but I'll link the excellent one done by MeleeItOnMe (if you're into Melee at all, their site and podcast (available onsite or on iTunes) are great resources for keeping up with events and the metagame. Their youtube channel is currently hosting a series of guides called Zero to Hero that I would recommend for anyone trying to get into competitive Melee).

As for predictions, Armada is the overwhelming favorite in my mind. PPMD is really the only person who is consistently successful against both of Armada's characters, and he's notably the only god not in attendance. Mango tweeted about the possibilty of breaking back Jigglypuff to improve his dreadful results against Armada's Peach, but I think he'll save that surprise for EVO. Leffen is another easy pick for top 3 who is really only liable of getting upset by Marths (after nearly losing to PewPewU at I'm Not Yelling), but the only notable Marths in attendance are M2K (who has been recently inactive and unfocused due to splitting time with streaming and Smash 4) and Tai (who doesn't have a win of that caliber to my knowledge). If you like mid-tiers, Axe is likely to do some damage on his home turf, and Wobbles was good enough to make EVO top 3 despite being a somewhat inconsistent player.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Is there a general schedule out there for when the more major tournaments take place? I just recently started watching Smash but I can't find anything like this so I'm stuck with watching them when they get uploaded to YT :(

Note that m2k dropped out of melee singles due to a supposed seeding dispute. It's also worth mentioning that /someone/ entered his smash 4 doubles team as "don't hate me because I'm autistic." The running of the whole tournament has been questionable (the steam was down for most of day 1) but I hope it ends well.

Also Axe just beat leffen for the first time ever, leffen won't have an easy road coming through losers.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Having beaten leffen, axe has now taken out all three of the "undergods" in a tournament, but PP, Mango, and especially Armada still seem pretty far out of his reach, his play wasn't perfect he just caught leffen sometimes and PP/Armada don't make spacing mistakes.

the M2K thing is a real shame, i think he's a bitch for quitting especially now that hes sponsored (by a real sponsor) but what they did with his s4 doubles team is also unacceptable

M2K is clearly fifth in a group with armada/mango/leffen/hbox but that doesn't change the fact the stream and onsite TOing have been suspect. Multiple players have noted on twitter that the steam isn't the worst of it, and meanwhile we watched 8 minutes of an impossible matchup (wobbles/armada) while axe/s2j happened offstream.

M2K said on facebook that he didn't drop out because of a seeding dispute, but because he wasn't feeling it and he wanted to focus on Smash4. So someone's lying...

It was hilarious when the power went out in the Grand Finals match, that event was nothing but a mess.

What even is this tournament lol???

Mango m2k hbox and leffen in losers before winner's semis. Good shit to the TOs for DQing people who were an hour late and the other players who actually showed up to play.

Oh yeah, this thread exists.

Hey, if you like Melee and/or watched the Smash documentary you should consider throwing your money at this.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Leffen just won his first U.S major (CEO) with 3 other gods in the tournament (Armada, Mango, Hbox)

he is definitely a god now

evo is gonna be hype

Stratos

Banned deucer.
u know leffen practiced nothing but the fox ditto since he got embarrassed at press start

im glad he did, it paid off super well. Z I P B O Y S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)