SM OU Mega Pinsir Team

Charizard-X should not 6-0 you, nor should Hawlucha. Toxicing them, as you said, is the play. Besides, I haven't seen that many Dragon Dance Charizard-X's up until now. Lopunny is an issue I have not considered, however. You have to outplay it of sorts. Get Tapu Bulu in, then Gastrodon is free.

**Tough to pull off
Sorry I didn't understand the part of Lopunny. :pikuh:

sup mate, i think i'll rate ur team, i initially didn't want to coz there were already so many rates but u seem to be genuinely interested in improving ur team so i'll attempt to help u out. just note my changes r gna possibly butcher ur team. also, i don't like to sugarcoat stuff so my honest opinion about pinsir is that i honestly don't quite like it rn. reason being koko usage is all time high and shuca berry sets r quite common & they almost always carry roost so even if u eq on a predicted koko switch, ur still forced to decide on a very risky 50/50 as to whether they'll atk or roost. u'll prob get more chances to bring pinsir in to fire off strong frustrations or an eq predicting koko to nail it but the momentum drain is just insane vs shuca koko teams. zapdos usage is prob also at an all time high rn coz of seed hawlucha being so threatening so that doesn't help it much either since zap is arguably the best pinsir counter alongside celesteela. lastly, its quad weak to sr upon megaing, just making it worse alongside those problems.

so these r the 2 main reasons why i think pinsir is honestly a shit pick at this moment.

walls pinsir to shit if u dont carry eq. fuck cc/stone edge they're bad imo.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

walls pinsir to shit unless u carry stone edge but that's just subpar imo.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice/Defog

anyways enuf of that, let me just quickly do the rating.

so 1stly, go with eq over cc on pinsir, it lets u hit heatran and av mag more easily. also run frustration with 0 happiness pts to give u an edge vs teams that use ditto as their scarfer. this also stops u from having a useless pinsir vs. shuca koko teams coz teams coz if u reveal ur close combat/stone edge pinsir, ur practically of 0 threat level to them coz they're just gna roost in ur face and the moment u try to sd u get tbolted and die so just lol.

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

ok, so u mentioned u have issues with dd zardx, this is fixable by changing landot spread. go for a more defensive landot. i also want to suggest u run toxic on landot. my evs are so u outrun at least defensive variants of zapdos so u can get the toxic off on them before they atk u 1st which imo is very important. rest of the moves stealth rock, eq and hp ice which is to hit opposing landot, zygarde and chomp r very standard, i don't think u want/need explanation on that either. this also fixes ur hawlucha problem, if u keep landot healthy and u fire a toxic on hawlucha u'll be able to beat it 1v1 with hp ice + toxic dmg. Toxic also cripples the uncommon mew if u hit it on the switch. Knock off is another option over hp ice to remove shed shell from shit like skarmory which helps with something i'm gna suggest next but skarmory is very uncommon now as it's usually ran on stall and stall teams usually favor zapdos over skarmory right now so knock is usually a subpar option. it also makes it worse vs. dealing with zygarde so meh...

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Knock Off

unless u want to run pinsir on sticky web teams, defog is absolutely necessary. my suggestion here, replace rotom-w with mew. mew is quite a decent defogger imo still even tho it's fallen out of favor. i'd suggest earth power over ice beam so u can defog on sr tran and also prevent tran from being a huge nuisance to the rest of the team with magma storm + ep + taunt. this ev spread lets u outspeed zygarde, if u prefer a faster spread u can use EVs: 240 HP / 84 Def / 184 Spe with Timid Nature. this lets u outspeed offensive sd landot but mostly landot now are either scarf or defensive so i prefer the standard spread coz it gives more bulk for checkiing mega medicham but thats up2u.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

ok, next since pinsir doesn't run cc anymore u can't beat celesteela 1v1 so change steel type on team from heatran to magnezone. u already know what this does probably, traps steels like ferro & steela esp. so pinsir can rape opposing teams. if u give it a scarf, it has the potential of trapping sd and scarf variants of kartana & soft checks opposing pinsir too so just go with that. Just be aware, since landot doesn't have uturn to bring zone safely in vs kartana, ur gna have to make some aggressive plays to get zone to trap kartana. same goes for trapping steela/ferro, u have to try to double it in it just is how it works. zone also outspeeds tapu lele & soft checks it which u mentioned was a problem.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

ok, now u mentioned u have problems with tapu lele & alakazam. fix to this is to replace electric sponge in gastrodon with av tapu bulu. this checks tapu koko + ashgren as well as gastrodon does with bonuses of checking tapu lele + zam as well so it's gucci.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

lastly, team needs speed control which original team didn't have. i'd say scarf protean gren works fine here. set i'd use is uturn to gain momentum to bring pinsir in as well as checking mega zam, ice beam to rk kartana/zygarde/landot/chomp, rock slide to rk volcarona and lastly gunk shot to ohko tapu lele/koko as well as put a fat hole in the more uncommon tapu fini.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

& there u have it, my rate. hope this helps. should cover most of the weaknesses u said u have even tho i may have butchered ur team, sorry lol. also, u said struggle vs. psychic & ghost & dragon types since no supereffective moves to hit them. most common psychics in ou rn are lele + zam and bulu checks both horn leechs its lp so don't need a supereffective move.

i lastly want to cover the issue of blacephalon and mega latios. scarf/specs blacephalon is very likely going to 6-0 this team unfortunately but blacephalon is more or less very uncommon coz its very frail and hard to bring on the field. mega latios u definitely want to try and get a toxic off on landot on a switch or catch it when its roosting and u will be able to beat it. kyurem b also is a problem since the team has no way of threatening with ohko. u can put a fat hole into tho if u lead scarf zone vs kyurem black but i don't think u autolose to kyuremblack anyways. also, team doesn't have a z move user which sucks but idt it's necessary for every team to have 1.

Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

sup mate, i think i'll rate ur team, i initially didn't want to coz there were already so many rates but u seem to be genuinely interested in improving ur team so i'll attempt to help u out. just note my changes r gna possibly butcher ur team. also, i don't like to sugarcoat stuff so my honest opinion about pinsir is that i honestly don't quite like it rn. reason being koko usage is all time high and shuca berry sets r quite common & they almost always carry roost so even if u eq on a predicted koko switch, ur still forced to decide on a very risky 50/50 as to whether they'll atk or roost. u'll prob get more chances to bring pinsir in to fire off strong frustrations or an eq predicting koko to nail it but the momentum drain is just insane vs shuca koko teams. zapdos usage is prob also at an all time high rn coz of seed hawlucha being so threatening so that doesn't help it much either since zap is arguably the best pinsir counter alongside celesteela. lastly, its quad weak to sr upon megaing, just making it worse alongside those problems.

so these r the 2 main reasons why i think pinsir is honestly a shit pick at this moment.

walls pinsir to shit if u dont carry eq. fuck cc/stone edge they're bad imo.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 12 Def / 176 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

walls pinsir to shit unless u carry stone edge but that's just subpar imo.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice/Defog

anyways enuf of that, let me just quickly do the rating.

so 1stly, go with eq over cc on pinsir, it lets u hit heatran and av mag more easily. also run frustration with 0 happiness pts to give u an edge vs teams that use ditto as their scarfer. this also stops u from having a useless pinsir vs. shuca koko teams coz teams coz if u reveal ur close combat/stone edge pinsir, ur practically of 0 threat level to them coz they're just gna roost in ur face and the moment u try to sd u get tbolted and die so just lol.

Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

ok, so u mentioned u have issues with dd zardx, this is fixable by changing landot spread. go for a more defensive landot. i also want to suggest u run toxic on landot. my evs are so u outrun at least defensive variants of zapdos so u can get the toxic off on them before they atk u 1st which imo is very important. rest of the moves stealth rock, eq and hp ice which is to hit opposing landot, zygarde and chomp r very standard, i don't think u want/need explanation on that either. this also fixes ur hawlucha problem, if u keep landot healthy and u fire a toxic on hawlucha u'll be able to beat it 1v1 with hp ice + toxic dmg. Toxic also cripples the uncommon mew if u hit it on the switch. Knock off is another option over hp ice to remove shed shell from shit like skarmory which helps with something i'm gna suggest next but skarmory is very uncommon now as it's usually ran on stall and stall teams usually favor zapdos over skarmory right now so knock is usually a subpar option. it also makes it worse vs. dealing with zygarde so meh...

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Knock Off

unless u want to run pinsir on sticky web teams, defog is absolutely necessary. my suggestion here, replace rotom-w with mew. mew is quite a decent defogger imo still even tho it's fallen out of favor. i'd suggest earth power over ice beam so u can defog on sr tran and also prevent tran from being a huge nuisance to the rest of the team with magma storm + ep + taunt. this ev spread lets u outspeed zygarde, if u prefer a faster spread u can use EVs: 240 HP / 84 Def / 184 Spe with Timid Nature. this lets u outspeed offensive sd landot but mostly landot now are either scarf or defensive so i prefer the standard spread coz it gives more bulk for checkiing mega medicham but thats up2u.

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

ok, next since pinsir doesn't run cc anymore u can't beat celesteela 1v1 so change steel type on team from heatran to magnezone. u already know what this does probably, traps steels like ferro & steela esp. so pinsir can rape opposing teams. if u give it a scarf, it has the potential of trapping sd and scarf variants of kartana & soft checks opposing pinsir too so just go with that. Just be aware, since landot doesn't have uturn to bring zone safely in vs kartana, ur gna have to make some aggressive plays to get zone to trap kartana. same goes for trapping steela/ferro, u have to try to double it in it just is how it works. zone also outspeeds tapu lele & soft checks it which u mentioned was a problem.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

ok, now u mentioned u have problems with tapu lele & alakazam. fix to this is to replace electric sponge in gastrodon with av tapu bulu. this checks tapu koko + ashgren as well as gastrodon does with bonuses of checking tapu lele + zam as well so it's gucci.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

lastly, team needs speed control which original team didn't have. i'd say scarf protean gren works fine here. set i'd use is uturn to gain momentum to bring pinsir in as well as checking mega zam, ice beam to rk kartana/zygarde/landot/chomp, rock slide to rk volcarona and lastly gunk shot to ohko tapu lele/koko as well as put a fat hole in the more uncommon tapu fini.

Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

& there u have it, my rate. hope this helps. should cover most of the weaknesses u said u have even tho i may have butchered ur team, sorry lol. also, u said struggle vs. psychic & ghost & dragon types since no supereffective moves to hit them. most common psychics in ou rn are lele + zam and bulu checks both horn leechs its lp so don't need a supereffective move.

i lastly want to cover the issue of blacephalon and mega latios. scarf/specs blacephalon is very likely going to 6-0 this team unfortunately but blacephalon is more or less very uncommon coz its very frail and hard to bring on the field. mega latios u definitely want to try and get a toxic off on landot on a switch or catch it when its roosting and u will be able to beat it. kyurem b also is a problem since the team has no way of threatening with ohko. u can put a fat hole into tho if u lead scarf zone vs kyurem black but i don't think u autolose to kyuremblack anyways. also, team doesn't have a z move user which sucks but idt it's necessary for every team to have 1.

Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide

Hey thanks for the advice! You are right, I've been annoyed by all those Zapdos,KoKo and other things. I love Pinsir because he is the core of my Gen 6 team. Right now I enjoy using him even if he is no longer what he used to be. I will try some other guys at some time.

Scarf Magnezone and Bulu are members of my team now(suggested by others) and I really love them. I will try Gren and Mew. I've never used these two guys before so I can't tell you what I'm thinking about right now. Thanks again and please wait for my feedback!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)