Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the people who played the tournament.
For the purpose of Smogon's competitive metagames, if it's out for anyone, it's out for everyone. Event pokemon for instance, even obscure ones, are universally legal on our simulator.

Edit: sorry missed the context.

Last edited:
For the purpose of Smogon's competitive metagames, if it's out for anyone, it's out for everyone. Event pokemon for instance, even obscure ones, are universally legal on our simulator.
I know all that, jabroni. The point was that since T-tar, aboma, and manectric aren't out for everybody yet, Aggronite will probably be packaged alongside them as an extra just like all the other batches had extras.

Lopunnite, Gardevoirite and Galladite are still unavaliable in Showdown... is it a simulator glitch or they haven't been implemented yet?

I know all that, jabroni. The point was that since T-tar, aboma, and manectric aren't out for everybody yet, Aggronite will probably be packaged alongside them as an extra just like all the other batches had extras.
Makes sense tbh

To this day, every code (except for Mega Mewtwo) release has been always the Pokémon from the competition plus a few more

Code
: M2DESCENT
Mega/Key stones: Mewtwonite X, Mewtwonite Y

Code: INTIMIDATE
Mega/Key stones: Mawilite, Beedrillite, Audinite and Medichamite
Code: AZUL
Mega/Key stones: Pidgeotite, Steelixite, Heracronite and Houndoominite.

Code: MATSUBUSA
Mega/Key stones: Sceptilite, Blazikenite, Swampertite, Banettite and Cameruptite.

Code: idk
Mega/Key stones: Tyranitarite, Abomasite, Manectricite (Aggronite & Diancite?)

Code: idk
Mega/Key stones: Lati@site, Altarianite, Ampharosite (Aggronite & Diancite?)

Every time, the extra stones get released as a pair, so it would make sense for us to get Diancite and the Aggronite together with the Tyranitarite, Abomasite and Manectricite, but then, the last group doesn't get an extra mega stone.

Guesses for the codes for the last 2 batches

• Rock related codes for the TTar set: Kinda inevitable since Tyranitar, Aggron and Diancie are part rock type. I expect at least Aggronite in that batch
  • EON (for lati@s) or a variant of LEGENDARY (Lati@s and Diancie)
  • In the unlikely event they go by Serial code for Diancie and Diancite, I'd say DIAMOND (or PEARL for irony), a variant on royalty or CROWNJEWEL for puns.

Just read on serebii that the weaknesses cup will have the Altarianite Ampharosite, Latiosite and Latiasite as rewards. I don't expect any of them to make a big splash in OU (apart from maybe Altarianite).

Just read on serebii that the weaknesses cup will have the Altarianite Ampharosite, Latiosite and Latiasite as rewards. I don't expect any of them to make a big splash in OU (apart from maybe Altarianite).
Mega Altaria is completely doomed. It already struggled in ORAS where everything it hated was common, and now it's even worse, with the Pixilate nerf and the new, very viable Steels and Fairies that murder it. Hopefully it will drop to UU (and not get banned), where it will be usable (though I dunno up to what extent).

Mega Latios is still useless. Not even worth considering. Perhaps it's even more useless now than in ORAS because Soul Dew gives pretty much the same benefits, even the lack of Life Orb recoil.

Now, Mega Latias is worth talking about. Regular Latias has problems in OU right now (no wonder it actually dropped to UU and stayed there unlike Clefable, Keldeo and Gengar), but Mega Latias's huge bulk could give it a chance. It's going to fare worse than in ORAS, though.

it won't have any real viability in OU. The Tapus completely outclass her as an offensive Fairy, his claim to fame of being able to take on both Zards is not needed anymore, Dragons in general suck this gen, with the ones remaining sometimes going STABles (Zard), have switched to using Ground attacks as their main way to do damage (Chomp and Garde) or run their once useless Flying secondary STAB as their only STAB (Nite) simply because of how bad Dragon coverage has gotten thanks to the Tapus being everywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to be fair the addition of z-moves to their slots and actually having good flying stab to nuke face(and boost because of it in the case of mence) is pretty face shattering as opposed to alteria. I do think it's a bit much for uu and is going to be quite bad in ou which is sad. The axe in the coffin is that because of the preparation for the threats any solid team has to be ready for in order not to get bodied. The basic requirement of a mon to switch in on strong fairy attacks (physical or special) and have switchins to the steel and fire killer moves that It runs. And king ddd and support aren't too great

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
When all the mega stones will be aviabile, what will happen to this thread?

(Also the aviable/unaviable mega stones is not updated)

Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
When all the mega stones will be aviabile, what will happen to this thread?

(Also the aviable/unaviable mega stones is not updated)
My bad, I was too busy abusing Marshadow so I forgot about that lol. Now it's updated

Any news on Diancie? And which set do y'all think would be the most viable for our diamond queen? Also Power Gem or Diamond Storm?

Any news on Diancie? And which set do y'all think would be the most viable for our diamond queen? Also Power Gem or Diamond Storm?
Both will likely be viable. No longer needing to run protect is a real boon to our Diamond Princess, as she now has much more breathing room and excellent 110 speed upon mega evolving.

CM + 3 attacks special.
Rock Polish.
Mixed, with either phys or spec EV focus.
All-out-attacker.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO the best Diancie set will probably be Stealth Rock 3 attacks. Considering that Clefable and offensive Lando-T are two of the very few Pokemon that can get up SR vs stall, Mega Diancie will be good as well for its ability to threaten out Mega Sab and even pressure the likes of Chansey via Diamond Storm. Diancie is just generally a very good user of SR in general because of its very dangerous STAB combo, coverage, and decent Speed which lets it force a lot of Pokemon out. Its Magic Bounce ability lets it basically come in for free vs Mega Sab too. Unfortunately, it's yet another Pokemon that can pressure stall but is trapped by Dugtrio, so it's generally not the best anti stall measure and you have to play it carefully. Being able to force out Garchomp as well as weakened offensive variants of Lando-T will be nice too.

Everyone seems awfully excited about Diancie coming. I can relate very well, but I would take caution if (not necessarily when) Diancie comes out.

Before I begin, I would like to clarify that this is me merely taking educated guesses. Key word being "guesses." None of my statements should be taken as absolute fact.

Diancie did get bolstered quite a bit. I'm sure everyone here knows how, but a quick recap:
  • Diamond Storm buff
  • "Mega speed" buff (eliminates need for Protect)
  • Hidden Power buff
"But Spohky, you're just restating facts we all know. Get to the point already, ya dingus."

My point is that I hypothesize Diancie will be relevant, though less than the OrAs meta.

Diancie is still very difficult to handle properly, even with Steel-types to aid (because they can be overloaded/lured). And while SM OU introduced more mons to outspeed and eliminate Diancie (Greninja and Tapu Koko being the quintessence of this), it also introduced more mons for Diancie to outspeed (every other Tapu namely). In the meantime, Diancie now has four moves to toy with (though Protect is still a usable move), and preying on Pinsir, Charizard, and Heatran is always helpful (these are all heralded as some of OU's greatest mons). Don't forget about Tapu Bulu, Heatran, Landorus-T, Keldeo, and Latios, all of which are a) relevant and b) great allies for Diancie. And if you're feeling adventurous, one can always attempt a Psyshock set on Diancie with Psychic Terrain backup (though a justification for this is beyond me at the moment).

These are all very credible points that make Diancie a realistic (and rather charming) threat. It's important, however not to ignore Diancie's weaknesses. Not only is Diancie a welcome mat for Magearna (a big no-no in SM OU), but quite a few meta trends are against Diancie. AV Tangrowth, Suicune, and Mew are all omnipresent thanks to the influence of Tapu Koko, Greninja, and a want for fatness. Greninja can feast on Diancies all day, and Dugtrio sees higher usage. Those aren't Diancie's biggest problems, though (aside from Dugtrio the little son of a b####). The biggest problem in my perspective is the loss of two of Diancie's relevant niches – a bird-spam check and a dark-spam check (namely the bird-spam check). Given that these both lost influence in SM OU, there is less incentive to utilize Diancie. I fear this presents the biggest threat to Diancie's viability.

Because of the reduced incentive for Diancie, I fear Diancie won't be heralded as an outstanding Mega Evolution. Still viable (for the reasons listed above), but not outstanding or "anti-meta" (whatever that means) on the levels of, say, Greninja or Zygarde.

But then again, I was certain that Bernie Sanders would win the Democratic nomination. In which case, you're better off not listening to me.
  • Diancie got a ton of buffs, and new mons to prey on. New allies help out a ton, and make Diancie a credible threat.
  • Diancie also has some new enemies to fight. At least Diancie got some new toys to help her out with this.
  • The largest problem is the loss of two niches (dark-spam and bird-spam counter), which reduces incentive to run Diancie
  • Conclusion: Diancie will be a viable, but not outstanding, Mega Evolution.

It does make some sense. Since Talonflame nerfed and the Tapu themselves scaring off Dark-types, Diancie does need another Niche.

With that said, the only other Mega with Magic Bounce is Sableye and Diancie herself can Learn Stealth Rock, so I want to ask, would this combination with offensive stats help this pokemon get a new niche?

It does make some sense. Since Talonflame nerfed and the Tapu themselves scaring off Dark-types, Diancie does need another Niche.

With that said, the only other Mega with Magic Bounce is Sableye and Diancie herself can Learn Stealth Rock, so I want to ask, would this combination with offensive stats help this pokemon get a new niche?
Well, Absol has Magic Bounce too, but its not competitively relevant in OU. However, I do think Diancie will be quite viable once it gets released, since it can deal with Magearna thanks to Earth Power. Though, bulky variants can avoid the 2HKO:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 136-160 (37.4 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It also benefits from TTar´s increased viability, which can´t OHKO with Stone Edge

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 206-246 (60.4 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 196-232 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charizard-Y´s increased viability would be great for it to, but the fact that it is now commonly paired with Dugtrio doesn´t really help Diancie, as even Sash variants can OHKO:

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 254-300 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So overall, I think Diancie will become even better than its previously was thanks to it not having to run Protect anymore and the metagame trends I´ve talked about.

Y'all forgot that Diancie also now gets Power Gem, making full-special sets a possibility. Granted, the Diamond Storm buff may make that irrelevant, but there it is.

Y'all forgot that Diancie also now gets Power Gem, making full-special sets a possibility. Granted, the Diamond Storm buff may make that irrelevant, but there it is.
Power Gem will most likely be irrelevent save for the rare CM variant. Here's why:

Diamond Storm will almost certainly be better than Power Gem. For starters, it simply is the more powerful option:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

Since Diamond Storm is so powerful in of itself, the lack of physical investment doesn't really matter. It also comes with the general merits of running a mixed attacker, like hitting special walls harder:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 109-130 (27.3 - 32.6%) -- 77.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 159-187 (39.9 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Add that to the fact that Diamond Storm got a buff this gen, giving it a 50% chance to double its defense, and there is almost no merit to running a fully special Diancie.

Speaking of which. Is Earth Power considered a necessity, or can a pokemon that knows Ground-type moves (Like Heatran or maybe Landorus/Hydreigon) cover for that (No tutors in S/M and I didn't have the chance to use them in ORAS)?

Speaking of which. Is Earth Power considered a necessity, or can a pokemon that knows Ground-type moves (Like Heatran or maybe Landorus/Hydreigon) cover for that (No tutors in S/M and I didn't have the chance to use them in ORAS)?
Fairly obvious question, but I'll take the bait anyways.

What would make you think Earth Power is a necessity? The moves your Pokémon have should be determined based on what your team looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)