SM OU Medi-Naga volturn (peaked #249)

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Intro:
So I wanted to build around nasty plot Naganadel, and I'm most comfortable with Volturn, so that's why I built this.

Building Process:

804.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png

I started off with nasty plot Nagandel being the main focus of the team. It can break things or be a late game sweeper.

pokeball.png 308-m.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png

Next I chose Mega Medicham, who pairs well with Naganadel being able to weaken things for the late game sweep. Medicham also benefits from Naganadel's ability to beat Mew and Clefable who usually switch into Medicham freely.

pokeball.png pokeball.png 598.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png

Next I chose Ferrothorn who is one of the best spikers in the game, again helping Naganadel sweep. It provides a solid pivot, switching into things like Tapu Koko. Ferrothorn is also my main answer to rain teams.

pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png 645-s.png pokeball.png pokeball.png

Defensive Landorus was added as a ground immunity, to help beat things like setup Zygarde and opposing Landorus. He's also my rocker and the first mon of the volturn core.

pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png 785.png pokeball.png

Specs Koko was added as the second Volturn mon. Koko assists Medicham in breaking things, while also baiting in Ferrothorn, Magnezone and other bulky steels to volt switch on so that Medicham can click HJK again.

pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png pokeball.png 248.png

AV Ttar was added as the final mon, mainly as a counter to fire types like UB Burst and Heatran. He takes special hits extremely well, Heatran's Earth Power does no damage, Scarf Lele's Moonblast does little damage. Weakening/removing these mons is just really helpful in general.

The Team:

804-1.png

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

This is the standard Nasty Plot set. Z draco can blow things like Toxapex and Chsnsey away. Flamethrower is for all the bulky steels.

252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 220-261 (72.3 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+4 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 595-702 (84.6 - 99.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

308-m-1.png

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Standard Medi. Zen headbutt is necaserry for Mega Venu. Ice Punch was originally Thunder punch but Gliscor was an issue.

598-1.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off

My Ferro spread is the common one to help take on Greninja and Tapu Koko better. Gyro ball and Knock off were my attacks of choice, knocking Heatran's Lefties, Zygarde's berry etc.

645-s-1.png

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

The Landorus spread is to outspeed most opposing defensive Landos. I dont have sp def because most Kokos are specs anyway. HP ice is important for opposing Landos and Zygardes.

785-1.png

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Specs Koko is so strong and probably my favourite set. I was debating the HP fire set, but Ice is just better. Defog is used as an emergency removal since I don't have any other hazard control.

248-1.png

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Fire Punch

This Ttar set was made by my buddy and teacher in pokemon A1gallade. 24 attack with Adamant Nature is to always ohko Charizard X with edge along with sand damage. The rest is in hp and sp def to take hits easier.
Ice beam and Fire punch were my coverage moves of choice, to bait Lando and Ferro, also to have an accurate move to hit opposing Naganadel.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 114-134 (28.2 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 188-224 (46.6 - 55.5%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 296-352 (73.4 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hawlucha
After an SD, seed hawlucha breaks through alot of my team. Keeping koko healthy is key vs this mon.

Mega Alakazam
Switch-ins are limited. Ttar can take a focus blast though.

Conclusion:
I'm far from a good battler or a good builder, but this team has proven successful so far. Hope you like it or want to rate it, any feedback/suggestions are appreciated.

A1Gallade - without my teacher I wouldn't be anywhere in this game. Your battling and teambuilding has inspired me to play this game and get better, ty.
Also maker of the Ttar set (he made it in early SM before it became common so he's obviously a genius)

Allen and Dan - thx for helping me test the team

:3

Importable: https://pokepast.es/6b6dc4fd034b0eba

~~804.png 308-m.png 598.png 645-s.png 785.png 248.png~~

Last edited:
This is an excellent team. Medicham and Naganadel are very hard to switch into on their own, but together, If your running a bulky team, good luck.
I’m not too familiar with volt turn, But why flamethrower over fire blast on Nagenadel? You miss out on the crucial OHKO on AV magearna after spikes, which you happen to be running.
Other than that, Amazing team. Very well done. If I find any threats I will let you know.

Reactions: DKM

DKM

This is an excellent team. Medicham and Naganadel are very hard to switch into on their own, but together, If your running a bulky team, good luck.
I’m not too familiar with volt turn, But why flamethrower over fire blast on Nagenadel? You miss out on the crucial OHKO on AV magearna after spikes, which you happen to be running.
Other than that, Amazing team. Very well done. If I find any threats I will let you know.

I was considering fire blast. But i honestly dont wanna risk missing. AV gear isnt too hard to weaken or switch into. Thanks for the suggestion though :]

I made a very very similar team like this today . The only differences in my team are that iam using a careful nature AV Ttar with the same EV spread , zapdos instead of tapu koko and Mega Gallade instead of Mega cham.

I think tapu koko is to frail to use Defog if you can use The defensive Zapdos set with Bold nature and 252 HP/ 252 DEF / 4 Sp.Atk ,it can be your bulky pivot and Defogger. Your tapu koko set is excellent but I think zapdos is a better Defogger as compared to Koko
:)

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey! Nice rmt and nice team.

I think you should run t-wave ferro. Because it is a setup bait of nagadel, you can predict he will click nasty plot and then t-wave him. Then you switch to ttar and you revenge kill it. I think you will not KO, but if he wants to switch when he click z draco, you can revenge kill it with all mons.

Also I prefer zap plate defog koko over specs. You have naganadel and medi, I think you don't need specs koko.

Grats for the peak :)

DKM

Hey! Nice rmt and nice team.

I think you should run t-wave ferro. Because it is a setup bait of nagadel, you can predict he will click nasty plot and then t-wave him. Then you switch to ttar and you revenge kill it. I think you will not KO, but if he wants to switch when he click z draco, you can revenge kill it with all mons.

Also I prefer zap plate defog koko over specs. You have naganadel and medi, I think you don't need specs koko.

Grats for the peak :)
T-wave ferro was something I was considering. But I still prefer knock and Gyro.
If Naga sets up as I switch to ttar it cant kill anyway.

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 223-264 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for Zap plate koko, I just prefer specs for power. I only usually click defog once if at all, only in an emergency. Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep them in mind.

T-wave ferro was something I was considering. But I still prefer knock and Gyro.

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 223-264 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for Zap plate koko, I just prefer specs for power. I only usually click defog once if at all, only in an emergency. Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep them in mind.
Generally, Tapu Koko uses defog through forced switches, and if you have ever used or faced Tapu Koko before, it’s more than capable of doing that. Just note that you will lose momentum when using it.

Chokepic

Obviusly I mean t-wave + power whip xD. You have just too much power with medi + naganadel, you don't need specs koko, and with zap plate you can defog and run with u-turn , a thing you have to do switching manually if you are specs.

Obviusly I mean t-wave + power whip xD. You have just too much power with medi + naganadel, you don't need specs koko, and with zap plate you can defog and run with u-turn , a thing you have to do switching manually if you are specs.
There is no such thing as too much power with the insane power creep this gen. Zap plate is a mediocre set at best because the abilty To switch moves doesn’t let Tapu Koko beat anything choice specs or z wild charge, or special z move,(which he cant use, becuase he already has a z move, and he doesn’t need a chansey lure.) Choice Specs Tapu Koko can still pivot on bulky grass types with volt switch, and no ground types,(exceptions being hippo, Gastrodon, scarf lando, and swampert) will have the balls to switch into choice specs dazzling gleam.

Chokepic

There is no such thing as too much power with the insane power creep this gen. Zap plate is a mediocre set at best because the abilty To switch moves doesn’t let Tapu Koko beat anything choice specs or z wild charge, or special z move,(which he cant use, becuase he already has a z move, and he doesn’t need a chansey lure.) Choice Specs Tapu Koko can still pivot on bulky grass types with volt switch, and no ground types,(exceptions being hippo, Gastrodon, scarf lando, and swampert) will have the balls to switch into choice specs dazzling gleam.
I know right now it isn't the best set. The z-special set is the set I would use, but he is using dragonium on naga, so I opt por a zap plate set. With latios u can use defog scarf, and it is a good set, but it isn't used on volturn cores because it doesn't have u-turn/volt switch. I don't like the idea of getting trapped in defog with things like naga because you let it to setup easily on it, because it can swich in all koko moves(that's why I only use defog choice item on latios, because naga can't switch) without being KOed.

I know right now it isn't the best set. The z-special set is the set I would use, but he is using dragonium on naga, so I opt por a zap plate set. With latios u can use defog scarf, and it is a good set, but it isn't used on volturn cores because it doesn't have u-turn/volt switch. I don't like the idea of getting trapped in defog with things like naga that let's it to setup easily on it, because it can swich in all koko moves without being KOed.
Letting in setup sweepers in for this team isn’t a big deal, as AV tyranitar is a pretty good counter to Volcarona and Nagnadel. It’s not like choice locked hazard removal is a horrible idea, as Excadrill uses rapid spin on scarf sets, and Tapu looks last moveslot on the choice set is pretty filler anyway, so there’s not much of a problem with using defog.

Chokepic

Letting in setup sweepers in for this team isn’t a big deal, as AV tyranitar is a pretty good counter to Volcarona and Nagnadel. It’s not like choice locked hazard removal is a horrible idea, as Excadrill uses rapid spin on scarf sets, and Tapu looks last moveslot on the choice set is pretty filler anyway, so there’s not much of a problem with using defog.
The problem with av ttar is, that it doesn't kill naga, and iirc it dies of +2 z-draco + regular draco. Correct me if I'm wrong

24+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 202-238 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 150-177 (37.2 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Unless if the Nagandel user gets lucky with damage rolls, then Ttar is a pretty safe check to Naganadel. He could even opt for a sassy nature if he wanted to be an even better check.
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

DKM

The problem with av ttar is, that it doesn't kill naga, and iirc it dies of +2 z-draco + regular draco. Correct me if I'm wrong
+2 252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 150-177 (37.2 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It needs 2 decent rolls

24+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 202-238 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

This puts it in fake out range after sand I believe

DKM

0- SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Naganadel: 146-172 (50.8 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 95-112 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

Even ice beam can after rocks + sand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)