Marowak-Alola (Ghost) (QC Rejected 3/3) GP 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Well this was a train wreck)

QC (Rejected) KevinELF/iLlama/Izaya
GP xx/xx

Eien you I think should delete this but idk...

[OVERVIEW]

Ghost
========

*Marowak earns its spot in mono ghost as the premier Stealth Rock setter on ghost teams, and has great physical attack. In addition to this, it is a good wallbreaker, capable of dishing out large amounts of damage.
*Grants the team an electric immunity with the ability Lightning Rod. By extention, it is able to deal nicely with threats like Tapu Koko or Xurkitree.
*Alolan Marowak has access to Bonemerang, a multi hit ground-type move, making it a great check to Fire-types.
*Its fire typing allows it to resist Fairy, Grass, Ice, and Steel type moves, and gets an immunity to Will-o-wisp helps synergize with other physical attackers, as well as preventing that attack drop.
*Boasts an amazing defense stat of 110.
*It is annihilated by hard-hitting knock off users like Bisharp, and even if not KOed, it suffers a very large attack drop.
*Its typing gives it a weakness to common coverage, namely water and ground
*Alolan Marowak's moveset is quite shallow, making it more predictable.
*With 45 base speed, it needs investment to outspeed even chansey.
*Flare blitz shortens Marowak's time on the field without rock head.
*Bad special bulk, with only 60 HP and 80 Spd
*Fire type comes at a cost, and Marowak thus has a weakness to Ground, Water, and Rock type moves, as well as Stealth Rocks, which forces it to switch in less to avoid residual damage.
*It has competition on both fronts, as a stealth rock setter, and a setup sweeper/wallbreaker, by Golurk and Mimikyu, respectively.

[SET]
name:Utility Wallbreaker (Ghost)
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2:Shadow Bone
move 3:Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
move 4:Bonemerang/Knock Off
item: Thick Club
ability: Lightning Rod
nature: Adamant
evs: 124 HP/252 Atk/ 132 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Stealth Rock grants sweepers such as Mimikyu and Gengar an easier time to KO, as well as punishing Switch-Ins with Bug, Fire, Flying, and Ice. It thus can easily take out these Pokémon, as it runs Super Effective moves.
* Flare Blitz allows the team to beat the likes of Mega Vensuar, as well as being the best STAB that Marowak has access to.
*Fire punch can be used as a decent alternative to Flare Blitz, but has less base power, and looses the ability to 2HKO Mega Venusaur.
* Bonemerang, when coupled with Lightning Rod, gives you the perfect opportunity to weaken electric teams, as well as beat Tyranitar and Heatran.
*Knock off can cripple pokemon which require things like eviolite and choice items to function well.
* Shadow Bone is like Flare Blitz, providing high powered STAB, and also gives defense drop 20% of the time, allowing Marowak to hit even harder on the next turn, or enciurage a switch-out

Set Details
========
*Thick Club doubles Marowak’s high attack, is the ONLY viable item here.
*Maximum Attack with an Adamant nature allows Alolan Marowak to hit as hard as possible
*Lightning Rod provides electric immunty, and should be run over rock head.
*132 speed are run to outspeed base 60's.
*Adamant is run over jolly to maximize damage.
The 124 in HP is to minimize flare blitz recoil.

Usage Tips
========
* Use Marowak to set Stealth Rock to encourage other pokemon switch out, like Skarmory and Ferrothorn.
*Switch him in against walls that can't touch him.
* Try to make sure you can outspeed, or gain momentum bringing him in late game. It can put dents in many types and threatening pokemon, such as Klefki, and can tear through Bug teams.
*If Alolan Marowak gets an opportunity where the opponent is forced to switch out, set up Stealth Rock unless they have no choice but to sack a wincon, where Alolan Marowak can use an attacking move.
*Use Knock Off to disrupt the field if you just can't wear down a pokemon, or to break eviolite users.
*It can switch in to passive pokemon well, and make a nice dent in them.
*Do not spam flare blitz. (Typically) only use Flare Blitz on threats that resist its other attacks or that are KOed by it, such as Mega Venusaur.
*Marowak can switch-in to attacks from electric types, and gain momentum in the process.
*Avoid knock off at all times, as stated in the overview, as it absolutely cripples Marowak.

Team Options
========

* Marowak pairs well with the likes of Gengar (Choice Scarf), to help with fairy. If you can break through Klefki with Flare Blitz, (providing there is no Mimikyu), you can sweep with Sludge Wave. In a more general sense, when Marowak sets stealth rocks, it helps Gengar defeat threats with ease.
* Mimikyu can help with a dragon immunity, and is a great set-up sweeper with Swords Dance. It also helps with sometimes setting trick room, which helps Marowak greatly.
*Sableye-Mega can keep hazards from getting on your side, and also has the huge advantage of taking knock off, and is a lovely Bisharp check.
*Jellicent absorbs Water-type attacks for Alolan Marowak because of Water Absorb. Scald to burn, Toxic to poison threats for Alolan Marowak. In return Alolan Marowak can switch into Electric- and Grass-types for Jellicent.
*Dhelmise and Decidueye being able to get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin and Defog, respectively. They also resist Ground and Water-type attacks.
*Gourigest-XL is just nice physically defensive pokemon to tank attacks for Alolan Marowak and burn foes with Will-O-Wisp.
*Hoopa and Doublade are a good pair with Alolan Marowak under Trick Room teams
*Cofarigus can set up Trick Room as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Ghost
--------
*You could run Swords Dance, but it is not recommended, as it is normally not worth it to loose stealth rocks.
*Running Rock Head is fine, if you want to have more longevity while using flare blitz.
*This would be a decent pokemon to use as a utility, having access to will o wisp and stealth rock
*Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature can be optimal in certain situations, such as outspeeding invested Azumarill and base 85 Speed Pokemon like Tapu Fini; however, Alolan Marowak's extra bulk can help in more situations, like taking a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon at full health.
*Stone Edge is an option for Alolan Marowak to do more damage against Flying-types such as Zapdos and Mantine, and when combined with Bonemerang, gives Alolan Marowak incredible coverage. However, this can cause four-moveslot syndrome and is a loss of Stealth Rock or a STAB move.
*Swords Dance is an option for added wallbreaking potential; however, the loss of Stealth Rock or a coverage move is generally not worth the extra damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock off users**: They can OHKO it (Think Bisharp), and if they don’t, Marowak is still severely weakened, with a halved attack stat.

**Water-types**: These can run through Marowak with ease, such as Kingdra

**Tapu Fini**: Tapu Fini can take a Shadow Bone fairly well and can deal a lot of damage to Alolan Marowak with Surf. Tapu Fini can also use Defog to remove the Stealth Rock that Alolan Marowak sets.

**Rock-types**: can't switch in if Alolan Marowak carries Bonemerang, but Pokemon such as Nihilego and Terrakion can KO it with Power Gem, Rock Slide, or Stone Edge.

**Tyranitar**: Can pursuit trap the heck out of ghost teams, and survive all of its attacks with ease.

**Ground Types**: Marowak can't do much against these, just sit there and get KOed.

**Dragon Types**: Marowak also has no real options against these, and most typically can be powerful enough and are running super-effective moves, to KO. Examples are Kingdra and Altaria-Mega. They also frequently are running super effective moves against it, such as specs Hydreigon.

**Rock Types**: Rock can just sit and lap up damage, and take whatever Marowak throws at them.

**Dark Types**: These tear through Marowak, especially things ike Bisharp, running Knock-Off and Sucker Punch.

**Fast Ghost Types**: For example, Gengar easily outspeeds and KOs Marowak with a shadow ball, and Mimikyu can KO it with a Z-Shadow Claw.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rocks do 2x damage to it, making it less sustainable.

Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately this analysis is just way too empty, you are missing a lot of crucial points. Giving it a check would involve practically writing/rewriting it so I will have to reject it.

QC 1/3 Rejected

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
There's simply too much information missing in this analysis, minimal examples, things that can be found just by looking at Alolan Marowak's pokedex entry, etc. As it stands the entire analysis needs to be rewritten again and that's just too much work for QC to do. In the future, if you would like to try rewriting this again (not asking you to do so if you don't want to) or if you want to make an analysis later on, please follow the example of other analyses, especially those of QC members such as this one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mega-altaria-qc-1-3-gp-0-2.3613828/ Analyses are for informing people that don't understand Monotype or various Pokemon within the meta as to how they function, what sets they utilize and why, etc., and the current information provided doesn't help with any of this.

QC Rejected 2/3

I’m taking it off again, but I will keep rewriting until it gets rejected or accepted.

And if it is rejected, I just start over and drop it? Also, if I eventually do rewrite to where it works and has enough info, does it have to go back up from 2/3 to 0/3, or does it just go to 1/3. Thank you so much for reviewing, both of you!

Last edited:
Ok. Going to cross my fingers and say this is ready for QC 3. I'd also like to say that some additions were me using (stealing) points from the dex entry, and if I need to take them out I will.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed

Last edited:
Look, I appreciate that you stuck with it all this time but this is simply not what we're looking for. An analysis isn't just supposed to have things anyone can find from a dex entry. Please take a look at some of Eien's or terrors's analyses and hopefully you'll understand what we're looking for.

QC Rejected 3/3

Look, I appreciate that you stuck with it all this time but this is simply not what we're looking for. An analysis isn't just supposed to have things anyone can find from a dex entry. Please take a look at some of Eien's or terrors's analyses and hopefully you'll understand what we're looking for.

QC Rejected 3/3
Thank you.

So now I start again on something new, and/or delete this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)