Mareanie, Toxapex Discussion

I think this thing pairs very well with defensive pivot Decidueye. For example, Keldeo is a problem for this, and Decidueye just LOVES Keldeo. :D Long reach protects it from rocky helmet on common problems like Lando-T and Garchomp.

Lange got me so excited for a second thinking Toxapex gets U-turn!

...then I actually checked its move list and felt sad :(

Can someone run a quick calc to see if uninvested Scald breaks Gengar's Substitute?

Last edited:
Lange got me so excited for a second thinking Toxapex gets U-turn!

...then I actually checked its move list and felt sad :(

Can someone run a quick calc to see if uninvested Scald breaks Gengar's Substitute?
Uninvested Scald from Toxapex does 25.8-30.5% to Gengar, so it's juuuuusssst enough to break the sub.

I think this thing pairs very well with defensive pivot Decidueye. For example, Keldeo is a problem for this, and Decidueye just LOVES Keldeo. :D Long reach protects it from rocky helmet on common problems like Lando-T and Garchomp.
How is keldeo "a problem" toxapex?
The only super effective move keldeo has is HP electric, toxapex resists both STABS, and merciless venoshock when poisoned does a ton to keldeo.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I think Mental Herb should also be taken into consideration on this mon. BB + Recover get's denied by taunt - which seems to take up at least 2 of it's moveslots.

Other options I've picked up on:
- Safeguard
- Infestation
- Venoshock + Merciless
- Lum Berry

uh... what else?
EDIT: Leftovers I guess, but that was standard, really.

I think Mental Herb should also be taken into consideration on this mon. BB + Recover get's denied by taunt - which seems to take up at least 2 of it's moveslots.

Other options I've picked up on:
- Safeguard
- Infestation
- Venoshock + Merciless
- Lum Berry

uh... what else?
EDIT: Leftovers I guess, but that was standard, really.
If baneful bunker protects you from taunt, then I don't think you need mental herb

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How is keldeo "a problem" toxapex?
The only super effective move keldeo has is HP electric, toxapex resists both STABS, and merciless venoshock when poisoned does a ton to keldeo.
If it lacks Haze or does not have Merciless + Keldeo poisoned Toxapex can actually lose to SubCM Keldeo without much issue.

This is why Haze is almost mandatory on every Toxapex set - which further increases its 4 MSS.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
So how do you kill this thing again?
Salazzle can poison it but it's not like if was going to stay on the field for much time. Perhaps Lele with the terrain boost. Or Spirit Shackle screwing it's ability utility (Toxapex ain't ever killing Decidueye ever with those offenses and Decidueye's access to Roost)

Salazzle can poison it but it's not like if was going to stay on the field for much time. Perhaps Lele with the terrain boost. Or Spirit Shackle screwing it's ability utility (Toxapex ain't ever killing Decidueye ever with those offenses and Decidueye's access to Roost)
In all fairness Decidueye is never killing Toxapex either. It can only force a stalemate and try to PP stall it, and the matchup is actually in Toxapex's favor if it carries Toxic or is running a gimmicky Merciless set (which again, I don't recommend).

All Toxapex has to do is click Toxic on Decidueye..?

I think any set not running Scald, Toxic, Haze, Recover will be suboptimal. Not running Toxic makes it so you do nothing to the Pokemon in front of you. Not having toxic just seems really really bad. Haze could be replaced honestly, depending on how your team is set up to deal with certain things. And I guess forgoing Recover could be an option, although it doesn't have many things that would make me wanna lose the moves I already have.

All Toxapex has to do is click Toxic on Decidueye..?

I think any set not running Scald, Toxic, Haze, Recover will be suboptimal. Not running Toxic makes it so you do nothing to the Pokemon in front of you. Not having toxic just seems really really bad. Haze could be replaced honestly, depending on how your team is set up to deal with certain things. And I guess forgoing Recover could be an option, although it doesn't have many things that would make me wanna lose the moves I already have.
Toxic Spikes is worth consideration for some team archetypes (namely stall), but Toxapex does have quite the case of 4MSS, so it might be better to carry it on something else or forgo it entirely. My best stall teams actually don't even carry Toxic Spikes to be honest.

Toxic Spikes is worth consideration for some team archetypes (namely stall), but Toxapex does have quite the case of 4MSS, so it might be better to carry it on something else or forgo it entirely. My best stall teams actually don't even carry Toxic Spikes to be honest.
Toxic Spikes seems cool, but you can't give up Toxic because you send Tox in and then you realize what now. Getting rid of Haze doesn't seem that awful, but it will be very team dependent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)