Magikarp Jump

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

MAGIKARP JUMP
What is Magikarp Jump?
Magikarp Jump is a mobile game for Android and iOS published by The Pokémon Company. In this game, you tackle various leagues as your push your Magikarp to the vertical limit through training, feeding, and sheer dumb luck. If you've played anything remniscent of Cookie Clicker, you have an idea how this game works.

Basic Tips
  • Through feeding, training, and events, Magikarp gain Jump Power (JP). Jump Power scales almost exponentially as you progress through the game. Your first opponent has a measly 10 JP, whereas your final opponent in the Luxury League has 17,800,000.
  • As you progress through the game, you earn coins and diamonds. Coins are used to purchase and upgrade foods and training methods. Diamonds are used to purchase decorations, items, and Support Pokémon that each come with their own unique boons. Diamonds can be purchased via microtransaction.
  • Each Magikarp has its own unique "strength": some gain JP from food more quickly, some from training, and some from events. Some Magikarp even increase the number of coins you earn throughout the game.
  • You start with three training points. Each time you train your Magikarp, the number of points decrease. Training points refill at a rate of one every thirty minutes, or you may use a Training Soda to refill a training point immediately.
  • For every five levels your Magikarp grows, you get a coin bonus. Expect an influx of coins every time you start leveling a new Magikarp.
  • For every level your trainer rank increases, the maximum level of your Magikarp increases as well and your training points are restored. Because JP increases exponentially with level, it is always a good idea to push your rank over the edge if possible.
  • Coins can be spent on new foods, new training methods, or increasing the level of anything you have already purchased. Typically you want to purchase new foods and training methods ASAP as they will provide more JP than previous purchases.
  • Upon spending a certain amount of money (~$40), you may exchange tickets for access to a drill that provides you with 100 diamonds daily.
Advanced Tips
  • Magikarp with feeding, coin, and training bonuses tend to be the most useful. Event bonuses are situationally useful (due to risky events that can potentially net you a large chunk of JP). You can spend 10 diamonds to cast your line again in hopes of a better Magikarp, but a second cast will cost you a whopping 50 diamonds.
  • Leveling a food or training method to level 25 will dramatically increase the amount of JP earned. You also earn a support candy for reaching level 25, which can be used to boost the power of one of your Support Pokémon.
  • Litten is a useful support Pokémon for most of the game due to the large amount of JP it gives you upon activation. Charizard, while expensive, provides you with a random useful item. Items can range from a big bag of coins to a Skill Restore, which restores the power of every single Support Pokémon.
  • Magikarp pattern has no real bearing on the quality of your Magikarp. A plain old Magikarp can just as easily outperform a fancy striped one.
  • If you plan to spend diamonds on Training Sodas, it is worthwhile to level your training methods first. If you want to save your diamonds for purchasing Support Pokémon, you should focus on leveling food initially.
  • Upon challenging an opponent for the second time, you can see the exact JP of their Magikarp. This allows you to safely challenge opponents for easy trainer EXP and coins without the fear of losing and depleting your League Points.

Discussion Prompts
  • What is your current progress in Magikarp Jump?
  • How has your playing experience been this far? Likes? Dislikes?
  • What is your opinion of Nintendo's / TPC's increasing focus on mobile games with microtransactions?
  • What is your opinion of Cookie Clicker-esque games (i.e., ones with little "gameplay")?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My current progress:

Trainer Rank: 45
Completed all regular leagues

It's a fun game, but one that does not particularly have a lot of longevity unless you are dead set on reaching Level 100 sometime far, far in the future.

I got tired of it pretty quickly, though part of it was because I leveled up my trainer too quickly and spread out my coins over new berries and training methods that it took forever to max out my Magikarp.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Is this F2P? I know there are microtransactions but can I expect to do okay without them? Also, does it require internet access to play?

Is this F2P? I know there are microtransactions but can I expect to do okay without them? Also, does it require internet access to play?
Yeah you'll be fine without the microtransactions. It doesn't require Internet access as it relies on your phone system time, but some features such as nicknaming and data back up does require Internet.

• What is your opinion of Nintendo's / TPC's increasing focus on mobile games with microtransactions?
  • What is your opinion of Cookie Clicker-esque games (i.e., ones with little "gameplay")?
  • Rank 28, Generation 29, currently 6/15 on Fast League
  • I like it. It's simplistic but fun.
  • This game supports itself pretty well without using microtransactions.
  • This game reminds me more of Ducklife than Cookie Clicker. It's more of a management sim than an idle game.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

My progress. About to finish fast league once i max level. Currently going through all my berries and training stuff and trying to make my distribution of upgrades more efficient.

Game is really fun :) great distraction throughout the day. Training points and skills recharge in a way where you never feel pressured to buy in and the gameplay proceeds quickly enough to the point where you never feel like the game is suffocating you. It's a quirky and very well designed mobile game for sure!

I've been tempted to drop money on the game since I've played it so much, but idk how I can justify that knowing that I'm close to the end of the story and the real grind starts after that. Interest might wane lol.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Discussion Prompts
1. Beat Expert League 3 already. I'm on Generation 86 of Karps...
2. It's been good. Kinda wish I went the 2Berry Strat route but otherwise now I'm levelling up Karps in 30 minutes and the grind wasn't that bad. Dislike would be that the game literally has no longevity. Right now I'm abusing the 1.0.2 Exploit to get infinite Diamonds to appease the completionist in me, but that's what's keeping me playing.
3. I am not a fan of microtransaction games in general but Nintendo has a fair business model going for these. I like the fact that by paying an equivalent of 40 dollars for some of their microtransaction games, you're able to essentially access the full content, while also keeping it free for everyone else.
4. Cookie Clicker is pretty mindless but a good distraction. Part of the fun of the game honestly stems from sharing stuff with other people... I had a Discord chat that was buzzing with discussion and sharing moments until 2 days ago, where it has straight up died with everyone basically milking it. So this little gameplay is already starting to show lol. In all, this game won't really last long (if at all) unless they constantly introduce patterns / leagues.

Game updated with new content
  • New league, Heal League
  • Two new high-level foods
  • Two new high-level training exercises
  • New decorations
  • New events that unlock after defeating the new Heal league
  • and the new Apricot and Brown patterns (available in tiger stripes, zebra stripes, and plain stripes)

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I started playing this 3 days ago and am currently at player rank 40. I looked online after my first 10 minutes of playing and probably found the most important tip in the game that allowed me to grow as fast as I did: do NOT unlock new berries.

I'm serious. Unlocking new berries means you need to buy more upgrades to keep all your berries at a high level. Since the random spawns while the screen has no berries is the lowest CP berry/3 seconds, you can easily get a million CP in a minute around rank 40 if you only have two powerful berries, whereas you'll be stuck with low rank berry CP if you unlock a bunch of them. Having more berry variety doesn't mean your spawn rate increases, so having a bunch of high level oran and sitrus berries is a lot more efficient than having a bunch of berries with low oran and sitrus berries in there. Spend all your money upgrading oran and sitrus berries. Don't even bother upgrading training stuff because one berry easily out-CPs them. Training is literally only done to get events. Currently each berry is giving me 50k CP (including boosts).

Unfortunately you cannot undo unlocks and sadly I myself only found out about this trick after unlocking the pecha berry. If I hadn't my efficiency would've been even higher.

Last edited:
2berry is the most efficient, but as someone that got to do it, there is one massive caveat that is never mentioned: it only works if you're able to constantly check your phone for berries to eat and sunken treasure. You burn a lot of battery and go HAM on the game for a few days before wondering where the time went. If you're a busy person (or have a job that requires more than menial labor), this is an unfeasible strategy.
For the average casual player, there's nothing wrong with playing like normal. There's really no such thing as a "wrong" choice, except maybe wasting diamonds on Gengar.

To be honest I don't like the idea of being able to evolve into Gyrados. It punishes you for working hard. I haven't played it much, but I do like it. It's a fun concept that I would like more if you could do something as Gyrados.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
There's no punishment for it. You manually choose to evolve it (either through breaking the Everstone once or saying yes to the Macho Karp event). Thankfully the game is merciful in the sense that every possible death scenario is a risk that is chosen, and your Magikarp will never actually evolve without your consent lol

New Update
1. New league: Hyper League (actual English name may be different)
2. Ability to skip more scenes when challenging the league and during events
3. Eevee appears as support, guaranteeing that you'll get amazing effort for your next training
4. New items in the shop
5. New patterns
6. New events and backgrounds
7. Bug fixes

Hey, I see people here are familiar with the Two Berry Method. I'm approaching end game and need some tips :)

Both my berries are now at level 100. What do I spend my coins on? I'm assuming I shouldn't level up the 3rd berry right? Since that'd take away the point of 2berry. Also, what's best spend my diamonds on? I have all the critical purchases (Exeggutor Palm, Shaymin Planter, Rowlett, Popplio, Lampent Lamp).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)