Light my Fire - a UU Warstory

Good day, frequenters of the UU subforum. With it being warstories that got me into competitive pokemon, for most of my relatively short time battling I’ve been on the lookout for a battle I could warstory myself, without it being as bad as a few attempts I’ve seen and thoroughly embarrassing myself.

This is my first attempt, and although the battle is admittedly not as “epic” as a lot of warstories, it's one of the best I’ve had (and remembered to save), and features some unorthodox teams, which I hope will make it a worthwhile read.

Anyway, onto my team. I run a Sunny Day one, as the title alludes to, which I was inspired to build by my love of fire types since getting pokemon Red, and more directly the Fun In the Sun thread and RMTs by Narulyg, Pokemaster 3000, and End Fashion. Sadly my laddering with this team has been held back more due to my own skill rather than the team’s capability, but recently I seem to have been improving somewhat. My opponent’s team also featured a few surprises, and I’ll be posting it at the end rather than here.

My team:

This battle was one of the rare ones from the UU find section, that I try to use as a warm-up, and it certainly provided that.

My comments will be bolded.
Scores will be presented after each KO, in the format: Benlisted/Phenomenonsense
Leftovers, Life Orb and Weather will not be omitted.
Nicknames will be mentioned once, then omitted.
Health remaining will be displayed after every turn, my Pokemon first, my opponent’s second.
Health upon switching will be noted after each pokemon has switched in once.

Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Timed Battle
Phenomenonsense sent out Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Benlisted sent out Houdini (lvl 100 Alakazam).

Okay, a Claydol lead. I fear both Stealth Rock and Shadow Ball, but as my team lacks a spinner and carries Charizard I have to risk being outpredicted and Taunt rather than attack.

Alakazam used Taunt.
Claydol fell for the taunt!
Claydol used Stealth Rock.
Claydol can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

Alakazam: 100%
Claydol: 100%

Good, no attack. Time to throw out a Grass Knot to smack his Claydol about and get myself into KO range, so I can hopefully set up Sun right before I die to something.

Alakazam used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 68% of its health.
Claydol used Earthquake.
Houdini lost 67% of its health.

Alakazam: 33%
Claydol: 32%

Well, apparently this Claydol lacks Shadow Ball. May as well fire off another Grass Knot in case he chooses to sacrifice Claydol and to actually hit the Spiritombs that love to switch in on me, my only worry is if he brings in a priority user.

Phenomenonsense switched in Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
Alakazam used Grass Knot.
Absol lost 43% of its health.

Alakazam: 33%
Absol: 57%

Psychic would indeed have been a bad choice, though not because of Spiritomb. Now, to decide whether Absol will try to Sucker Punch me, or Swords Dance up, predicting a switch. I go for Taunt, to stop any possible setup while trying to get him to hit me with another attack next turn so I can set Sun up and get a free switchin, as all too often I waste turns of Sun to Sucker Punch. I am assuming he doesn’t want to take another Grass Knot to the face here, however.

Absol used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Alakazam lost 33% of its health.
Benlisted's Alakazam fainted.

Alakazam: X

Absol: 57%

5/6

Damn, his Absol is scarfed! Though I lost my lead, a few of my team can take his attacks, and Chlorophyll helps me with outspeeding it, so it shouldn’t be too much of a threat. Despite Zam not setting up sun, I can get my Arcanine in here to set up a longer dry spell, healing with Morning Sun if Absol stays in and getting a free turn if not.

Benlisted switched in Apollo (lvl 100 Arcanine).
Phenomenonsense switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic).
Apollo used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
The sun continues to shine.

Arcanine: 100%
Milotic: 100%

Unsurprisingly, UU’s most popular bulky water rears its (actually rather elegant) head against my fire pokemon. Although Surf won’t do too much, I don’t have anything to hit back with, so time to send in my Rain Counter Gardevoir, packing a nasty Thunderbolt that it might not expect.

Benlisted switched in Bastila (lvl 100 Gardevoir).
Gardevoir traced Milotic's Marvel Scale!
Milotic used Surf.
Gardevoir lost 20% of its health.

Gardevoir: 80%
Milotic: 100%

---

Gardevoir used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 46% of its health.
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Gardevoir lost 23% of its health.
Milotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.

Gardevoir: 57%
Milotic: 60%

At this point I don’t want to be outstalled with Recover, as frequently happens when Gardy faces down Milotic, so I throw down a wish to make sure I can easily take two more attacks.

Phenomenonsense switched in Claydol (32%).
Gardevoir used Wish.
Gardevoir made a wish!

Gardevoir: 57%
Claydol: 32%

Predicting the obvious Thunderbolt, Claydol comes in to screw up my plans by threatening to both kill Gardevoir with Earthquake and set up Stealth Rock to cripple Charizard and give Arcanine some issues too. I doubt I can kill it with Psychic, either. I hate being in the position where I’m forced to bring Charizard out as rocks go up to make the most of him, but my lack of forethought cost me here.

Benlisted switched in Smaug (lvl 100 Charizard).
Claydol used Explosion.
Charizard lost 100% of its health.
Benlisted's Charizard fainted.
Phenomenonsense's Claydol fainted.

Charizard: X
Claydol: X

4/5

Gah, that was unexpected! He must really have wanted rid of my Gardevoir, so perhaps his Milotic does lack Recover if he doesn’t think it can outstall me? At least there’s no threat of rocks now, even if I have lost a powerful sweeper and the main reason I needed to stop them in the first place.

Anyway, on to what to send out for the blind switchin. He’s seen my Milotic and Arcanine, and now knows I run a Sunny Day team, I’ve seen his scarfed Absol and his Milotic, and there are three turns of sun left. Tangrowth can tank Absol’s attacks and kill Milotic with a Power Whip, while maybe grabbing a Swords Dance if I can get something else to switch out of me, whereas Victreebel could be hit hard Sucker Punch from Absol. I also want to save Sleep Powder for later, so out goes Tangrowth.

Phenomenonsense switched in Milotic (60%).
Benlisted switched in Liana (lvl 100 Tangrowth).

Well, I threaten to KO with Power Whip, but if he stays in and gambles on me Swords Dancing then Ice Beam could end my second sweeper’s life, and I can’t afford to lose another this early. The uber vine attack it is, then.

Phenomenonsense switched in Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine).
Arcanine's Intimidate cut Tangrowth 's attack!
Tangrowth used Power Whip.
It's not very effective...
Arcanine lost 32% of its health.
Tangrowth lost 10% of its health.

Tangrowth: 100%
Arcanine: 68%

Playing conservatively lands the mediocre result, as to be expected. Here I’m hoping he didn’t notice the lack of Intimidate on my Arcanine when I sent it out on Absol, and attempts to Flare Blitz Tangrowth. I could stay in and Earthquake but I’m not sure that with Intimidate it would KO a defensive Arcanine. I’ll also need to reset Sun in a few turns.

Benlisted switched in Apollo (lvl 100 Arcanine).
Arcanine used Flare Blitz.
Arcanine 's Flash Fire raised its fire power!

Arcanine: 100%
Arcanine: 68%

Awesome, as predicted. Assuming either an Extremespeed, which I can take, or more likely a switch, I Flare Blitz on the last turn of Sun to lay down some damage on my opponent’s team.

Arcanine used Toxic.
Arcanine was badly poisoned!
Arcanine lost 68% of its health.
Phenomenonsense's Arcanine fainted.
Arcanine was hit by recoil!
Arcanine lost 20% of its health.
The sun faded.
Arcanine is hurt by poison!
Arcanine lost 6% of its health.

Arcanine: 74%
Arcanine: X

4/4

Admittedly, I did not expect my proud canine partner to have a blob of gunk lobbed in its face, and it’s wholly possible this mistake could cost me dearly later. At least I’ve killed his Arcanine, and with luck I can Morning Sun off the Toxic damage if I don’t stay in too long. Anyway, time to reset Sun, switchin allowing.

Phenomenonsense switched in Milotic (60%).
Arcanine used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Arcanine lost 14% of its health.
Arcanine lost 12% of its health.

Arcanine: 62%
Milotic: 66%

Having not embarrassed myself this turn, and despite risking a possible Surf, sun setup goes according to plan. Sadly though, I can’t risk bringing in a Grass Sweeper to take Milotic for fear of Ice Beam, so back to Gardy, who with her current 56% health should be able to take two attacks from, outspeed, and 2HKO Milotic.

Benlisted switched in Gardevoir (57%).
Gardevoir traced Milotic's Marvel Scale!
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Gardevoir lost 24% of its health.

Gardevoir: 33%
Milotic: 72%

Trying to catch a grass type, Milotic does use Ice Beam again, hitting a little harder than surf would. Anyway, time to try and kill this defensive behemoth, as the battle thus far has indicated it lacks recover.

Gardevoir used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 44% of its health.
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Gardevoir lost 23% of its health.

Gardevoir: 9%
Milotic: 34%

In the same unfortunate position as his Claydol was earlier with my other Psychic type, I assume he will switch out rather than die to Thunderbolt. Absol wouldn’t want to risk being destroyed by a blast of lightning, so I take a chance and go for Psychic to hit the switchin for more damage.

Phenomenonsense switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius).
Gardevoir used Psychic.
Mismagius lost 57% of its health.
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.

Gardevoir: 9%
Mismagius: 49%

Well, this isn’t good. Mismagius is a prime threat to my more offensive team, specifically with its substitute sets, which do carry Lefties. Thankfully I weakened it with Psychic, but even so, Arcanine cannot take two hits from it, and though my Grass types outspeed, their poor special defence means they have a good (or bad, from my point of view) chance of being OHKOed. I stay in and attack in case it substitutes.

Mismagius used Sucker Punch.
It's super effective!
Gardevoir lost 9% of its health.
Benlisted's Gardevoir fainted.

Gardevoir: X
Mismagius: 55%

3/4

With Absol being scarfed it appears that Mismagius is left to abuse priority for his team. Could this mean no Shadow Ball, as he certainly outspeeds me? I’m in a tight spot here, with three team members left, and one poisoned sun setter. Sun’s due to go down in three turns, and I need to do as much damage to his team as I possibly can in that time. Tangrowth is the prime candidate for this, being able to force out Mismagius with the threat of an OHKO from rock slide, so I decide to take a risk by sending her in and Swords Dancing, to better sweep his team.

Benlisted switched in Tangrowth (100%).
Tangrowth used Swords Dance.
Tangrowth 's attack was sharply raised.
Mismagius used Pain Split.
Mismagius restored 34% of its health.
Tangrowth lost 25% of its health.

Tangrowth: 75%
Mismagius: 95%

Seems this odd move is just whatever he selected as he plans to sacrifice Mismagius, I’m in any case now free to Rock Slide for the kill. I’m lucky he didn’t attack me here, as Missy could do some serious damage to Tangrowth.

Tangrowth used Rock Slide.
Mismagius lost 95% of its health.
Phenomenonsense's Mismagius fainted.

Tangrowth: 65%
Mismagius: X

3/3

Phenomenonsense switched in Absol (57%).

Assuming no Sucker Punch, this Scarf Absol’s gotta be death fodder too, as it doesn’t do too much against Arcanine or Tangrowth, and he hasn’t seen Victreebel. I can take a Sucker Punch anyway, so may as well Earthquake.

Tangrowth used Earthquake.
Absol lost 57% of its health.
Phenomenonsense's Absol fainted.
The sun faded.

Tangrowth: 55%
Absol: X

3/2

Phenomenonsense switched in Weezing (lvl 100 Weezing).

Oh crap. This grinning monstrosity is the reason he wanted Gardy dead so badly and runs a scarf Absol to deal with Psychic types. Weezing utterly walls Tangrowth, and despite its mediocre SpDef, my Victreebel set too. The only thing I have left to KO it is Arcanine with Flare Blitz, which needs both Sun and Flash Fire to kill it in one, or Extremespeed and one boost otherwise.

Also, if I don’t set sun up, then Milotic will be able to sweep my two Grass types with ease, so Arcanine’s sacrifice will be in vain. I need to set Sun first, and kill or maim Weezing before dying to Toxic and the gaseous-whatever-it-is’s attacks, or I’ll have to rely on putting Weezing to sleep with Victreebel and chipping away at it, while fighting the Sun timer as well, so I can outspeed and kill Milotic. But does he expect me to go to Arcanine to take the obvious Flamethrower? Please let me switch in on a fire attack...

Benlisted switched in Arcanine (62%).
Weezing used Flamethrower.

Arcanine: 56%
Weezing: 100%

Yes! The Flash Fire Boost means I don’t have to rely on Sleep Powder if I survive this next turn, and getting in for free lets me be sure of Sun getting up, but not taking any damage is more important, as it means I’m guaranteed to get Sun up at the least, and am still in with a good chance of winning.

Arcanine used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
Weezing used Thunderbolt.
Arcanine lost 25% of its health.

Arcanine: 5%

Survived with 5% of his health left, Arcanine takes that Thunderbolt like a boss. I’m hoping my opponent doesn’t switch to Milotic, saccing it to let Weezing live, but hopefully he doesn’t realize just how powerful a doubly boosted Flare Blitz is, and how badly Weezing walls my unrevealed Victreebel. I’m in a good spot, but I still don’t want to rely on chipping away at his Weezing’s health after first risking the 75% accuracy of Sleep Powder.

Weezing lost 100% of its health.
Phenomenonsense's Weezing fainted.
Arcanine was hit by recoil!
Arcanine lost 5% of its health.
Benlisted's Arcanine fainted.

Arcanine: X
Weezing: X

2/1

Arcanine sacrifices himself valiantly. No switch, I just need to finish off his Milotic now. It’s game.

Phenomenonsense switched in Milotic (34%)
Benlisted switched in Pitcher (lvl 100 Victreebel).
Pitcher used Solarbeam.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 34% of its health.
Phenomenonsense's Milotic fainted.
Benlisted wins!

Benlisted: gg
Phenomenonsense: gg

Phenomenonsense's Team:

Props:

• Phenomenonsense, for having a name as punny as my own and being a sporting opponent, as well as not afraid to use some unorthodox sets.
  • Tangrowth, for doing what he does best and sweeping under Sun.
  • Arcanine, for being able to carry the burden of sun-setting alone and being able to KO Weezing.
  • Weezing, for threatening to wall my remaining team, and to my opponent for keeping him concealed and picking off his counters.

Slops:

• Claydol, for blowing up the wrong thing.
  • Charizard, for accidentally being blown up.
  • Scarf Absol, for doing very little.
  • Me, for letting Claydol in to completely screw over Charizard, and my Arcanine get poisoned.
  • My opponent, for not quite predicting well enough at the end to possibly save him the match.

Hope you enjoyed this warstory enough to get here without wishing for the minutes spent reading it back, I’d appreciate any feedback :)

I do run a sucker punch Absol, and it has saved me many times, however I don't know why I didn't use it. Fun write up. I'm still new to competitive battling so I'll have to face you later once I get better at predicting set ups for certain pokemon and actually remembering the weaknesses of others. I did realize that you had fire flash Arcanine, a good choice for the sunny day team, but I like to play with luck, hence my Absol. One thing I did change and the reason for me not keeping Weezing out is that it was Choice Banded. This hurt me even more in another match where I had to keep pain splitting until me and my opponent were both under 20% hp on our last pokemon. I had no chance of winning. Looking back I made a few more mistakes than you noted, but it was fun nonetheless.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sucker Punch Mismagius?? That isn't something I see every day. Oh well, you're lucky that he let you kill Weezing like that, since Arcanine was pretty much dead anyway. Oh well, OK warstory, 6/10

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Weird...

I liked your reasoning but the battle was off. I mean no-recover Milotic? Sucker punch MISMAGIUS. What a waste...

Decent nonetheless
6.5/10

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Strange sets. An entire team devoted to a wall really isn't something you see on a daily basis, and especially as he played it so badly.

And Mismagius with Sucker Punch? Is he high?

4 l 10 because it's not really a good battle.

People are quite critical it would seem. I found it interesting enough, but I do agree sucker punch mismagius? Weird stuff. I give you thumbs up for using gardevoir.

6/10. I liked it. Then I re-read it and saw all the mistakes and ceased liking it. Nice writing, though.

Choice Band Explosion, woo. Because life needs more overkill.

The battle was average, but I really enjoyed the story itself :)

Yeah, your opponent wasn't the best, and his sets were not the best he could run, but at the end of the day I really liked it

Thanks for the support on my writing from most people. As I said in the OP, I kinda expected a similar level of feedback to this, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how many people did enjoy it.

Sucker Punch Mismagius was indeed strange, but I'm not entirely sure what Darkamber means by Choice Band Explosion, as clearly neither Weezing nor Claydol are Banded, as they both swap moves over the course of the battle.

I do run a sucker punch Absol, and it has saved me many times, however I don't know why I didn't use it. Fun write up. I'm still new to competitive battling so I'll have to face you later once I get better at predicting set ups for certain pokemon and actually remembering the weaknesses of others. I did realize that you had fire flash Arcanine, a good choice for the sunny day team, but I like to play with luck, hence my Absol. One thing I did change and the reason for me not keeping Weezing out is that it was Choice Banded. This hurt me even more in another match where I had to keep pain splitting until me and my opponent were both under 20% hp on our last pokemon. I had no chance of winning. Looking back I made a few more mistakes than you noted, but it was fun nonetheless.
Huh, is "it" something else?[/not sarcasm]

Excerpt from when Weezing was out (Commentary omitted)
Benlisted switched in Arcanine (62%).
Weezing used Flamethrower.

Arcanine: 56%

Arcanine used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
Weezing used Thunderbolt.
Arcanine lost 25% of its health.

Arcanine: 5%
Dunno what he means by Weezing being CB'd.
---------------------------
OK match, pretty much no hax, well-written; predictions could've been better though, it kinda got boring as I read through it. Some of the already-mentioned move(sets) were really gimmicky as well.

I'm not a fan of Sunny Day teams, but props to you for using one~

One thing that doesn't make sense to me though, how did Arcanine jump from 56% to 5% if Weezing only did 25% and Toxic 12%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)