Leading in UU

I've been using that Golem lead a lot and I actually really like it. Sucker Punch is definitely the way to go, as it stops him from having to choose between setting up Stealth Rock and damaging the opponent's team. It's also the only other thing that sets him apart from Rhyperior. Here's how it's been faring against common leads:

Froslass: Rock Blast breaks the sash and KO's unless you get unlucky. Sucker Punch isn't advised since many just spam Spikes till they die.

Uxie: Fairly poor matchup, since Rock Blast and Sucker Punch don't hurt it too much. I usually just explode, which kills Scarf variants and severely maims defensive ones. If you have Pursuit you can guarantee Uxie's death. The best situation is when it Tricks it's Scarf onto you, then you Explode, then Pursuit it afterwards.

Ambipom: If it's smart, it will break your sash and run, so you'll have some prediction wars trying to damage its team. If it Low Kicks, you can 2HKO with a combination of Earthquake and Sucker Punch. During my testing, they always tried to Taunt or Low Kick. Golem's seemingly obvious Stealth Rock helps a lot here.

Moltres: Again it can unfortunately break your Sash and run, but if it attacks it dies.

Alakazam: Rock Blast stops all variants, but Sucker Punch can leave you Sashed if it's a Trick Specs that decides to attack. You also have a chance to remain Sashed if it's a Sash variant that uses Taunt.

Electrode: Rain Dance then Earthquake. Golem is nearly guarantee'd to get another KO unless you do something really dumb like Explode on a Rotom (or if it's Flare Blitz' weird Sash Kabutops >:O).

Omastar: You outspeed and 2HKO. Either it's no Stealth Rock for them or they have to face a Sashed Golem with Explosion.

Hippopotas: You can't 2HKO defensive variants, and Exploding on a Hipipopotas seems wrong, especially with risk of Focus Sash. If you know it's Leftovers you can explode to deprive them of Stealth Rock or you can switch and hope your spinning is up to snuff. Not a great matchup. At least Sandstorm teams are full of things that Golem can outspeed and hit Super Effectively / Explode on.

Rhyperior: You outspeed and 2HKO. Just like Omastar in the sense that they can let you keep your sash or they can get SR up.

Cloyster: You outspeed and KO with Explosion like 2/3 of the time. Chances are they've lost their Spiker / Spinner.

Arcanine: I never came across any that used Will-O-Wisp, so I always Exploded for the OHKO (even at -1).

Venusaur: If you don't have a Sleep absorber or cleric, it's going to be a case of "Golem is asleep and useless for the match" when you come up against Venasaur (the Sleeping Golem does sometimes make miraculous late-game Sucker Punches!). It never used Leaf Storm on me when I was testing this. If you have Chansey or Altaria then you'll be fine, just bring Golem back in before they set up Stealth Rock.

Hariyama: Outspeed and KO with Explosion, though it's prudent to use Earthquake the first turn just in case they lead with Protect.

Kabutops: Its Sash and Priority beat out yours. Most likely you end up with a 1 HP Golem and Stealth Rock on your side. I actually killed a lot of Claydol, Torterra, and Mismagius in this phase, which is just funny. If you have spin support this isn't the worst outcome.

Snover: Outspeed and KO with Rock Blast. Ice Shard doesn't do that much, and Golem is losing his Sash to hail anyway.

One thing that's cool about this is that it's really good at killing setup leads, who are really nice to have out of the way when you have spin support. It also outspeeds and 2HKOs Nidoqueen, Regirock(only 1/3 chance) and Steelix (2/3 chance) with Earthquake, while it outspeeds and OHKOs Donphan with Explosion. It wasn't unusual to get 2 KO's with this, and it was rare not to get any. All in all I think it worked out as a decent offensive lead.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

name: Lead Entei
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Fire Fang
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Hasty/Naive
evs: 252 Atk/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 HP
(can use help here)

I've been play testing with this as my lead for a while, and it works pretty well. He wins against most leads, unfortunately without Flare Blitz, he has a hard time against Uxie (though he will always win, Eruption getting close to a 2HKO), and he always loses to Hariyama and Ambipom. However, with these shortcomings, he will always dominate Froslass and Moltres, only ever allowing 1 layer of Spikes from the former and destroying Moltres with Stone Edge.

I've been messing around with the EV's a lot, and I've found these to be the most effective. However, without any Speed investment, he's Dugtrio meat if Dugtrio is holding a Scarf itself, and Dugtrio can switch in on Stone Edge and KO Entei, taking minimal damage.

I've found Mismagius, Registeel and Claydol to be good partners for this Entei. Mismagius able to switch into any Fake Out and threaten with Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt, though she doesn't like Shadow Claw or Payback from Ambipom or Hariyama. She can also set-up on nearly any Uxie with ease. Registeel eats any Ambipom without Low Kick alive, and Claydol can spin away any entry hazards your opponent may have gotten down, and threaten Hariyama with Psychic.

Here's a list of how he fares against common leads:

Alakazam: Not much of a problem, Eruption is a 2HKO easily. Entei won't mind anything being Tricked onto it either. Will take a lot of damage from Psychic though.

Ambipom: Unfortunately, without Flare Blitz, Entei doesn't like Ambipom at all. Having a Ghost-type or Registeel waiting in the wings is recommended.

Arcanine: Not really a threat. Without Intimidate, Stone Edge is a OHKO, otherwise an easy 2HKO while taking little damage from Extremespeed or anything else.

Froslass: Dead. Will get up a layer of Spikes with Focus Sash.

Hariyama: Loses. Hariyama is Entei's biggest threat, boasting both Thick Fat to absorb Eruption, and/or Fake Out/Guts to threaten with a OHKO with Close Combat.

Houndoom: OHKO with Stone Edge, though will OHKO with Focus Sash/Counter. Most don't carry one though with the prevalence of Fake Out.

Moltres: OHKO with Stone Edge

Omastar: OHKO from Hidden Power, however Surf is a OHKO right back if it's holding a Focus Sash.

Cloyster: Will OHKO with Hidden Power if no SpDef investment, and Cloyster fails to OHKO with Rock Blast, but only just barely (bar a critical hit).

Mesprit: Easy 2HKO with Eruption, however it will get something done either rocks, a screen, or rain/sun.

Regirock: Pain, will OHKO Entei with Stone Edge/Earthquake, however Hidden Power has a chance to 2HKO if they decide to just Stealth Rock.

Spiritomb: Will always win with Eruption, though Entei will be limping afterwards.

Uxie: Entei can only muster a 3HKO with Eruption, though Uxie isn't going to be doing much to Entei either besides Thunder-waving or setting up Stealth Rock.

Ok oglemi, 252 Adamant Cloyster Rock Blasts do this much to 4/0 Hasty Entei, assuming no boosting item on Cloyster: 83.3% - 99.5% (16.7% - 19.9% each).
If Entei is Naive: 75.3% - 91.4% (15.1% - 18.3% each).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
@Pika - Really? Hmmm, I could have sworn I've been one-offed by a Cloyster, but obviously that didn't happen. I didn't save any logs, so I can't prove you wrong, (and I don't think you are), I just remember for some reason losing to a Cloyster. Oh well, thanks for the input. I guess I'll change that then.

Edit: Ahh, I betcha it was because one of the Rock Blasts got a critical which made me think it was able to OHKO me... sorry for the confusion.

Feel like sharing my lead.

Glalie @ Expert Belt
Adamant nature 252 ATK 252 HP (some better spread for toughness would help)

-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Crunch
-Explosion

Glalie basically always defeats frosslass with crunch then ice shard. Shadow ball does not do very much damage and frosslass usually uses spikes first. With decent coverage it can defeat a lot of leads. If it can't defeat the lead (with the other 3 moves) then it can explode or come in later and revenge kill or explode. Works better than you would think. Life orb or muscle band might be viable, but I'd have to do the calcs on muscle banded crunch vs frosslass.
Alakazam can be crunched then ice sharded. Without focus blasting glalie cannot be OHKOd.
Either ability is equally good in different scenarios. Ice body or Inner focus.

I thought of sneasel but sneasel cannot explode or use earthquake. But sneasel is a good idea. I don't remember my exact spread ATM but I might have ran a certain amount of speed.

Found my favorite lead ever, EVER!

Corsola @ Focus Sash
Adamant / Hustle
252 HP/252 ATK/4 SPE

- Explosion
- Rock Blast
- Protect
- Sucker Punch

Corsola takes out 90% of leads I face.

Vs. Frosslass 100% Winner
Frosslass will either trick, taunt or spikes you, rock blast it to hell and you're fine.

Vs. Ambipom 80% Winner
Protect from Fake Out, smash with a Rock Blast on the Taunt, and Sucker Punch the desperation attack.

Vs. Uxie/Mesprit 60% Winner
Rock Blast when they 1st turn Stealth Rock or Trick. Sucker Punch on the U-turn/Psychic.

Vs. Moltres 100% Winner
Rock Blast after hanging on with Focus Sash.

Vs. Alakazam ?% Winner
Protect to scout. Go from there.

Vs. Electrode 90% Winner
They will expect you to switch and Rain Dance, Rock Blast him. When he attacks next turn Sucker Punch.

Vs. Cloyster 100% Winner
Rock Blast 1st turn, if the HP drops low enough then Sucker Punch, or just Rock Blast again.

Vs. Hariyama ?% Winner
Protect from Fake Out and Explosion it up.

Vs. Omanyte ?% Winner
No real answer, advised to switch to bulky electric, Sub-Ampharos works well.

Vs. Kabutops ?% Winner
Read: Omanyte.

Vs. Hippopotas ?% Winner
Explosion, switch to Aqua Jet user.

Vs. Venusaur ?% Winner
Explosion.

Vs. Snover 100% Winner
Rock Blast, nuff said.

Vs. Arcanine 50% Winner
Most leads run intimidate, either Rock Blast, Explosion, or switch.

Vs. Spiritomb 80% Winner
Rock Blast, then Sucker Punch.

Vs. Regirock ?% Winner
Will probably switch expecting you to surf or something. Either way, not a great matchup. Switch to a bulky Grass to take him or water-switch in down.

Vs. Houndoom 100% Winner
Rock Blast, Sucker Punch.

A Corsola Lead needs a Rapid Spinner on the team, because if you switch out then stealth rock/spikes will break his focus sash, and render him almost useless. If you can get the spikes/stealth rock out off the field, you have a guaranteed Explosion, and a bunch of other options.

Found my favorite lead ever, EVER!

Corsola @ Focus Sash
Adamant / Hustle
252 HP/252 ATK/4 SPE

- Explosion
- Rock Blast
- Protect
- Sucker Punch

Corsola takes out 90% of leads I face.

Vs. Frosslass 100% Winner
Frosslass will either trick, taunt or spikes you, rock blast it to hell and you're fine.

Vs. Ambipom 80% Winner
Protect from Fake Out, smash with a Rock Blast on the Taunt, and Sucker Punch the desperation attack.

Vs. Uxie/Mesprit 60% Winner
Rock Blast when they 1st turn Stealth Rock or Trick. Sucker Punch on the U-turn/Psychic.

Vs. Moltres 100% Winner
Rock Blast after hanging on with Focus Sash.

Vs. Alakazam ?% Winner
Protect to scout. Go from there.

Vs. Electrode 90% Winner
They will expect you to switch and Rain Dance, Rock Blast him. When he attacks next turn Sucker Punch.

Vs. Cloyster 100% Winner
Rock Blast 1st turn, if the HP drops low enough then Sucker Punch, or just Rock Blast again.

Vs. Hariyama ?% Winner
Protect from Fake Out and Explosion it up.

Vs. Omanyte ?% Winner
No real answer, advised to switch to bulky electric, Sub-Punch Ampharos works well.

Vs. Kabutops ?% Winner
Read: Omanyte.

Vs. Hippopotas ?% Winner
Explosion, switch to Aqua Jet user.

Vs. Venusaur ?% Winner
Explosion.

Vs. Snover 100% Winner
Rock Blast, nuff said.

Vs. Arcanine 50% Winner
Most leads run intimidate, either Rock Blast, Explosion, or switch.

Vs. Spiritomb 80% Winner
Rock Blast, then Sucker Punch.

Vs. Regirock ?% Winner
Will probably switch expecting you to surf or something. Either way, not a great matchup. Switch to a bulky Grass to take him or water-switch in down.

Vs. Houndoom 100% Winner
Rock Blast, Sucker Punch.

A Corsola Lead needs a Rapid Spinner on the team, because if you switch out then stealth rock/spikes will break his focus sash, and render him almost useless. If you can get the spikes/stealth rock out off the field, you have a guaranteed Explosion, and a bunch of other options.

none of those sitiuations are 100% of winning, they really are 60% ( for rock blast) and 80% ( for explosion) with rock blats plus explosion the chances are even lower so as far as i'm concerned, this is not a great lead

lol and adding one of the BIGGEST surprise factors in the game..although golem still has the higher attack power and ACCURACY, it would be a sight to behold to see corsola doing work against all the leads hahaha

I just realized Golem has all the same options <_> and corsola has worse ACC. Well, it has the surprise factor at least. :/

Here is the lead ive been using...

Aggron @ HardStone/LifeOrb/Leftovers
RockHead
4HP/252atk/252spe
-HeadSmash
-StealthRock
-RockPolish
-Earthquake

ok so if you predict a set up move you can either rock polish to start a sweep set up rocks or just hit them with head smash also this recks most leads in UU bar rhyperior although it is hurt by earthquake also it ensures that froslass (you know the broken one :D) never gets more than 2 layers of spikes down also you can use this for a lategame sweep headsmash+ earthquake gets that coveted ground-rock coverage and is overall a good set :D

I'm a bit curious how Alakazam hasn't seen more play in the lead position. Yes, it's one of the top leads in UU, but it's pretty far from the big three: Ambipom, Froslass and Uxie. Nonetheless, it does boast plenty of strengths, none less than the fact that it's versatile. It can be running many different sets, and, unlike Uxie, it can pose a threat off the bat. Some example sets: dual screen, Substitute + Taunt + some attacks, something including Encore, TrickScarf, maybe even Specs. Some analysis:

Alakazam vs. Froslass - of course it depends on the set. If Alakazam has Taunt, it can stop Froslass from setting up. If Alakazam is choiced, it has to make the tough decision to attack or Trick. In my experience Froslass usually runs from Alakazam, so Alakazam wins in any case. Froslass may also be choiced herself, which is fine because if Alakazam gets Tricked a Scarf it can still use it reasonably.

Alakazam vs. Uxie - again Taunt stop Uxie from setting up, but Uxie will generally have U-turn. If Uxie predicts Taunt and U-turns at the start then too bad for Alakazam, but it would still have stopped SR / screens / Thunder Wave / whatever Uxie's many viable sets may be aiming for. Also if Alakazam is choiced then choice-locking Uxie renders it pretty useless for the rest of the match.

Alakazam vs. Ambipom - with Inner Focus Alakazam can take the Fake Out and return an OHKO with Focus Blast, assuming Ambipom stays in (which, strangely enough, it usually has). If Alakazam doesn't want to risk Focus Blast's shaky accuracy, Psychic still does well over 50% damage to Ambipom, and it can Encore Fake Out / go for the kill with a second Psychic / put up Reflect to cushion the blow from U-turn.

Alakazam vs. Moltres - Moltres can't stop Alakazam from putting up Light Screen, and if Alakazam chooses to attack Psychic again does well over 50% damage. Sure, Moltres will hit back hard, but then Alakazam is faster and can 2HKO (+ some defensive investment avoids getting OHKO'ed).

Against the rogue leads (Nidokings, Pinsirs, Donphans blah blah blah), Taunt will usually stop them from doing anything, and the guarantee that you are faster also means you have the advantage. Very few UU Pokemon outspeed a max speed Alakazam after all.

I find the only real disadvantage of using Alakazam as a lead is that it can't put up Stealth Rock. But then again, Ambipom can't put up Stealth Rock either and it's seeing a lot of use, so ...

Against Ambipom, you should use Counter. Although most Ambipom leads will see this coming. If I had an Ambipom versus an Alakazam, I would just switch.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is the lead ive been using...

Aggron @ HardStone/LifeOrb/Leftovers
RockHead
4HP/252atk/252spe
-HeadSmash
-StealthRock
-RockPolish
-Earthquake

ok so if you predict a set up move you can either rock polish to start a sweep set up rocks or just hit them with head smash also this recks most leads in UU bar rhyperior although it is hurt by earthquake also it ensures that froslass (you know the broken one :D) never gets more than 2 layers of spikes down also you can use this for a lategame sweep headsmash+ earthquake gets that coveted ground-rock coverage and is overall a good set :D
I've been using something similar, but I'm not fussed about a sweep. My lead was SR/Head Smash/Aqua Tail/Magnet Rise @ Chople Berry. You can't stop Froslass getting up 2 layers but whatever. Rhyperior is beaten through Magnet Rise + Aqua Tail, and with a Chople Berry, you can survive a Low Kick from Ambipom.

EDIT: Since no-one has posted after me, I'll just edit my post. Anti-lead Hitmonlee is quite cool:

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Bullet Punch/Mach Punch
-Rapid Spin

If Froslass gets banned, I'll consider Mach Punch over Bullet Punch, obviously because of STAB, but since Whorelass is still with us, Bullet Punch is vital. Stone Edge + Bullet Punch rapes Froslass, while any other lead can eat an Hitmonlee attack (Usually CC) as they put up Stealth Rock, only to see them get spun away.

Blaziken @ Coba Berry
Rash / Mild / Modest
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power Rock
- Superpower / Focus Blast

This hit its peak of effectiveness during the Yanmega / Honchkrow era in UU, but it's still pretty effective. You don't really lose to Froslass (HP Rock is a clean 2HKO, meaning at most they get 2 Spikes and nothing more).

This isn't some revolutionary new lead, but I think it gets the job done, especially since you can basically (almost) always take down leads like Moltres who don't switch out. Also fares well against just regular Pokemon such as Mesprit or Arcanine.

The last slot is a toss up between Superpower and Focus Blast, the former is great to keep some of that "mixed sweeper aspect" but I always preferred the latter, as it deals more damage to pokemon such as Regirock and I think Milotic (??). Also hurts Curse Umbreon.

Not the best lead out there, but definitely a solid choice worth checking out.

I don't think anyone posted this yet so I guess I will. I've been using this duggy on a lot of my teams and have found it to be successful.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Night Slash

Its good for setting up rocks and then coming back late game if you want. I usually set up rocks first then choose a move depending on the lead. Against Frosslass and Hariyama I'll flee the Fake Out and bring him in later. Just aboout anything else I'll face.

Blaziken @ Coba Berry
Rash / Mild / Modest
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power Rock
- Superpower / Focus Blast

This hit its peak of effectiveness during the Yanmega / Honchkrow era in UU, but it's still pretty effective. You don't really lose to Froslass (HP Rock is a clean 2HKO, meaning at most they get 2 Spikes and nothing more).

This isn't some revolutionary new lead, but I think it gets the job done, especially since you can basically (almost) always take down leads like Moltres who don't switch out. Also fares well against just regular Pokemon such as Mesprit or Arcanine.

The last slot is a toss up between Superpower and Focus Blast, the former is great to keep some of that "mixed sweeper aspect" but I always preferred the latter, as it deals more damage to pokemon such as Regirock and I think Milotic (??). Also hurts Curse Umbreon.

Not the best lead out there, but definitely a solid choice worth checking out.

This set is very interesting, i've been looking for something to take moltres spot as my lead, i'll give this a shot and give you a feedback on how this thing goes.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Here is the lead I've started to use and would like some feedback:

Kabutops@Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPE
-Waterfall
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Against the top 15 leads:

Froslass: gets one set of spikes up at the most and is 2HKOed by Waterfall.
Ambipom: Superpower is a OHKO. I also outspeed it with Scarf.
Uxie: Trickscarfers get their own scarf back. Here I set up rocks and switch.
Moltres: Stone Edge is a OHKO 80 percent of the time (accuracy).
Alakazam: Waterfall does 97.6% - 115.5%
Electrode: with Rain Dance, Waterfall will KO. Otherwise I can take my chances with Stone Edge if I want to.
Omastar: I'll have to switch out on this, sadly. Superpower won't 2HKO it.
Hippopotas: Sandstorm doesn't affect it. Earthquake won't OHKO it. Waterfall will end up taking Hippo out with only SR up.
Rhyperior: Waterfall does only 77.8% - 91.9% to the standard set. Rhyperior OHKOes back.
Venusaur switch
Hariyama switch
Kabutops: Superpower does 90.3% - 106.8%.
Cloyster: Stone Edge will 2HKO 64% of the time factoring in accuracy.
Arcanine: Switch. Tops can OHKO it later on but with Intimidate and HP Grass and possible outspeeding I don't risk it.
Snover: Normally the stalling lead doesn't carry a grass attack, so I stay in. Superpower will 2HKO with Focus Sash.

A good complement to this lead is a bulky Slowbro, who can take out Omastar, Rhyperior, Hariyama, and Arcanine decently.

Here is the lead I've started to use and would like some feedback:

Kabutops@Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPE
-Waterfall
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Against the top 15 leads:

Froslass: gets one set of spikes up at the most and is 2HKOed by Waterfall.
Ambipom: Superpower is a OHKO. I also outspeed it with Scarf.
Uxie: Trickscarfers get their own scarf back. Here I set up rocks and switch.
Moltres: Stone Edge is a OHKO 80 percent of the time (accuracy).
Alakazam: Waterfall does 97.6% - 115.5%
Electrode: with Rain Dance, Waterfall will KO. Otherwise I can take my chances with Stone Edge if I want to.
Omastar: I'll have to switch out on this, sadly. Superpower won't 2HKO it.
Hippopotas: Sandstorm doesn't affect it. Earthquake won't OHKO it. Waterfall will end up taking Hippo out with only SR up.
Rhyperior: Waterfall does only 77.8% - 91.9% to the standard set. Rhyperior OHKOes back.
Venusaur switch
Hariyama switch
Kabutops: Superpower does 90.3% - 106.8%.
Cloyster: Stone Edge will 2HKO 64% of the time factoring in accuracy.
Arcanine: Switch. Tops can OHKO it later on but with Intimidate and HP Grass and possible outspeeding I don't risk it.
Snover: Normally the stalling lead doesn't carry a grass attack, so I stay in. Superpower will 2HKO with Focus Sash.

A good complement to this lead is a bulky Slowbro, who can take out Omastar, Rhyperior, Hariyama, and Arcanine decently.
I don't see the need to risk it with Stone Edge on this set when Rock Slide is more reliable and effective. Rock Slide 2HKOs all Froslass, even the bulky ones, and has a decent flinch rate to boot. Moltres is still OHKO'd, only now 90% of the time, whilst most Cloyster builds should still be 2HKO'd with 81% efficiency. If not, the extra accuracy and flinch rate will likely make up for it in the long run anyway. Other leads that commonly run Sash like Snover can also be occasionally flinched. The biggest problem is Alakazam, you really shouldn't be trying to attack it first turn. Either use Stealth Rock on a predicted Taunt / Counter, or switch on a predicted attack.

I basically just took the Donphan Wall set and adapted it into a lead. What sets it apart slighlty from other rock leads such as Golem and Aggron is Ice Shard. Effectively a Bulky Version of Kabutops with Thunder Wave immunity.

(Superphan)
Donphan @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe - Adamant
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Ice Shard
Stealth Rock

A bulky lead, which often takes out the opposing lead, however not always laying down Stealth Rock. I suppose this is basically a lead Mamoswine but in UU. But remember against special attackers it will nearly always be left on 1HP. The choice between Stone Edge and Rock Slide is basically between power for later use and reliability. Either work fine

Alakazam - Beaten by EQ then Ice Shard. SR not set up

Ambipom - I think it takes around 15%-20% from Fake out. Can take it out with EQ and Ice Shard, or set up SR if you see a U-turn coming

Arcanine - Will beat if it hold Lum berry. Only loses to a combination of Focus Sash and HP Grass

Cloyster - Probably Donphan's biggest problem. Its defence stat is so high, Stone Edge only does like 30%. Plus, it can Rapid Spin SR set up. Surf hits hard.

Froslass - Gets one layer of Spikes at max. Beats Destiny Bonds with Ice Shard

Hariyama - Dents Hariyam but ultimately loses. Can get SR up though.

Houndoom - Easily beats with Earthquake, and Ice Shard beats Counter sets

Moltres - Will beat with Stone Edge unless Stone Edge misses or Donphan gets an unlucky burn.

Omastar - Earthquake. Ice Shard to beat Focus Sash

Two Lake guardians - Sets up SR and then proceeds to GTFO. Mesprit's Grass Knot is a 2HKO and Donphan cant really touch Uxie.

Regirock - Earthquake sorts Regirock out. Immunity to Thunder Wave is also helpful.

Venusaur - Yeah doesn't really stand up to Venusaur at all. Wont appreciate Sleep, and Power Whip will 2HKO for sure.

Electrode - I can take it down to its sash with EQ as it Sets up Rain Dance/Taunts/Explodes and then Ice Shard. Thunder immunity is cool.

Snover - Stone Edge will take out it out / down to focus sash. Blizzard and Grass Know plus hail means Donphan may no be able to finish with Ice Shard.

Rhyperior - Earthquake and Ice Shard will beat all lead variants of Rhyperior.

Hippopotas - Earthquake is the most powerful move against Hippopotas hardest. Hippopotas can't take Donphan down before it is taken down itself. Usually both set up SR

So when I'm not trolling with my NP Persian lead, I use this:

Persian(F)@Choice Scarf/Band
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Limber
Ev's:4HP/252Atk/252Spe
-Switcheroo
-Hypnosis / Taunt
-Return
-U-Turn

The good thing about Persian is that even though it gets Switcheroo everyone just expects it to be a weaker carbon copy of Ambipom. Well this shows them that they're wrong. Trick leads (especially Uxie, who is sadly getting more popular even though he sucks) either try Tricking Persian to lock it into a move, or they attempt to Paralyze it since they expect it to run Technician. This will waste the opponents turn and give you another try at incapacitating your opponent with Hypnosis. Stealth Rock leads will be locked into one move, and be forced to switch as you sleep the switch in and already neuter 1/3rd of the opponents team. I put Taunt in there for people who prefer that and aren't ballsy enough to run Hypnosis, as it's a useful enough move. U-turn is a great scouting move since Persian causes a lot of switches, and Return is there for a strong STAB attack and since Persian has high speed he can revenge things like Houndoom and shit later on in the match. You can change the ability to Technician and go with Fake Out somewhere but I find it inferior. I recommend people give it a try.

Can someone please explaine why Hariyama over toxicroak? He can run practically the exact same set, except dark pulse over payback. His poisen type lets him beat other hariyama and hitmontop and no froslass expects bullet punch.

Toxicroak @ Focus Sash
Rash, 252 sp.att/252 att/4 spe

Bullet Punch
Dark Pulse
Protect
Cross Chop

Stone Edge can go over dark pulse, which also hits lass and can hit moltres, but uxie are more common and dark pulse never misses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)