Project LC Community Create-a-Team [DONE]

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Houndour is pretty obviously the right choice here, although y'all sleepin' on the dog even when he has a secondary ability of Early Bird (lol).

Houndour @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird / Flash Fire
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute / Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

If y'all never used D-Bond Houndour alongside a Pokemon that gets checked by Water-types, get ready for the ride of your life. Houndour hits like a truck and laughs at our Ferroseed weakness, but also provides unique advantages over like Ponyta or Larvesta (ew Ray Jay your old age is showing). I agree with every thing Fiend said about why Cottonee is pretty unconvincing here, basically forcing us to successfully sweep with Clamperl or lose (and like Fiend, I believe we'll do the latter most of the time. There's a reason why Clamperl still struggled even when we had busted trapping support like Goth around). Houndour does a good job of being a side thing for Clamperl because if Diglett is in a spot where Mementoing is impossible and you have to sac it for some reason, you can bring in Houndour and start blasting things. You do this at the right point in the game and it's likely you're going to start blasting a potential Water-type with Dark Pulse. The offensive presence alongside Clamperl I believe is pivotal for this third slot. Houndour is also a good Pokemon to send in when you're mourning the death of Clamperl as well and your sweep didn't go the way you thought it would, because it shines when teams are weakened. That, however, requires a bit more Sucker Punch action, whereas I enjoy Substitute to ease prediction and Fire Blast misses.

It's going to be easy to build a defensive backbone around Diglett / Houndour as we have potentially two offensive Pokemon to abuse useful immunities to help us think about defensive typings to utilize. Some thinking ahead.

Early Bird is if we feeling the Foongus blues, Flash Fire is otherwise superior.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Awfully slow this week, my apologies guys.
Here are the nominations. I've decided to copy-paste the whole post this time to encourage people to understand the reasoning behind each choice before casting their vote. Remember that explaining your vote when voting isn't necessary, but strongly encouraged!
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Taunt

The Pokemon that tend to come in on Mienfoo are either slow Fairy- or Poison-type Pokemon such as Snubbull and Foongus or faster threats such as Ponyta. These Pokemon are all either OHKOed or set up on by Clamperl, especially as more and more Ponyta opt to forgo Wild Charge. Outside of that, Clamperl creates an instant 50/50 against the rest of the slower Mienfoo checks; does the opponent leave in their Mienfoo check to be obliterated and lose a check to a powerful Pokemon, or do they switch out and risk Clamperl setting up?

This isn't even talking about the fact that Mienfoo and Diglett already synergize extremely well. The addition of Taunt also helps us keep hazards off the field, which is greatly appreciated by these two Pokemon. Overall, I think Mienfoo is a great teammate for these two Pokemon thanks to its pivoting prowess, excellent synergy, and the ability to take a Knock Off.

we also desperately need some sort of defensive back bone at the minute, and i also feel we're relying on diglett a lot to remove sashbra, mareanie and panwniard, and also use memento.

cottonee provides us with the beginnings of a defensive core, and can also use memento to support

Cottonee @ Darkinium-Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam / Giga Drain (idk which??)
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Encore
- Memento

It also provides us with a second way of luring pawniard, and memento support with darkinium-z means clamperl doesn't have to worry as much about coming in early to hit stuff hard. HP Fight from Cottonee also puts Ferroseed in KO range of a +2 Ice Beam.

(Timburr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

With Mach Punch, and great bulk, Timburr can easily stand up to Carvanha. Mach Punch nearly OHKOs it, and it lives whatever Carvanha wants to throw at it, including Psychic Fangs + Aqua Jet, and just spams Mach Punch until it goes down. Also, in general, Timburr is a great Pokemon to have in checking Normal-types, like Aipom and Meowth, who's Fake Outs are problematic to Clamperl's set up, and Steel-types like Ferroseed, who, like Berks said, destroys us right now.

Pancham @ Eviolite / Darkinium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 Atk / 100 Def / 212 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Zen Headbutt / Gunk Shot

It is bulky enough to be a wall and it synergize well with Clamperl + Diglett:
- Support Clamperl with Parting Shot. Also supports diglett.
- Beats Pawniard (His priority wont let us sweep) and Ferroseed (Maybe the best check to Clamperl now that we can trap water/poison mons)
- Altought it's standard, sometimes you can lure Croagunk with Zen Heabutt and preserve Sash on Diglett
- Knock off User.
- Cute with sunglasses.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

basically it's a solid fighting counter and timb refuses to run p jab now because foongus sucks. with dig, you have a potent ability to open up games by trapping resists. this is pretty great overall considering how perl wants the same stuff weakened mostly. the bulk sprit adds is far greater than cottonee's, which helps shit the team from standard dig + sweeper offense and 0 bulk to a balance approach. spritzee also helps make us not have a vulla weak team, and considering how diglett is going to be such an important mon for us that's p big.

just another mon to add to the list though ppl's cottonee boner is likely to make this seems silly.

Grimer @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Fire Blast / Memento

Before I explain this choice, this is Alolan Dusky's Grimer set so I take no credit for it.

I feel Alolan-Grimer could be a nice addition on this Clamperl team since it can deal with annoyances such as Abra and Scarf Gastly that may try to revenge kill Clamperl and also bulkier mons such as Pawniard, Spritzee, Ferroseed and Munchlax. Pursuit and Knock Off are standard, Pursuit is for trapping said revenge killers while Knock Off helps remove Eviolites from said bulky mons. With Poison Touch, Grimer can further weaken the opposing team by poisoning them, which can give Clamperl an easier time to sweep. Gunk Shot can knock out Spritzee after rocks 75% of the time, alternatively Poison Jab can be used as a tertiary form of poisoning the opponent with perfect accuracy at the expense of less power. Fire Blast deals with Pawniard and Ferroseed, who we currently lack checks for, while Memento can be used to safely bring in Clamperl so it can set up a Shell Smash. I think Fire Blast is the better option here since we have Memento with Diglett already.

tl;dr
- deals with Ferroseed and Pawniard with Fire Blast
- deals with revenge killers such as Abra and Scarf Gastly with Pursuit
- can remove Eviolite on mons like Spritzee, Munchlax, etc.
- weakens opposing team with Poison Touch
- if necessary, functions as another Memento user

cottonee seems like the winner as of now tbh ;w;

Houndour @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird / Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute / Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

If y'all never used D-Bond Houndour alongside a Pokemon that gets checked by Water-types, get ready for the ride of your life. Houndour hits like a truck and laughs at our Ferroseed weakness, but also provides unique advantages over like Ponyta or Larvesta (ew Ray Jay your old age is showing). I agree with every thing Fiend said about why Cottonee is pretty unconvincing here, basically forcing us to successfully sweep with Clamperl or lose (and like Fiend, I believe we'll do the latter most of the time. There's a reason why Clamperl still struggled even when we had busted trapping support like Goth around). Houndour does a good job of being a side thing for Clamperl because if Diglett is in a spot where Mementoing is impossible and you have to sac it for some reason, you can bring in Houndour and start blasting things. You do this at the right point in the game and it's likely you're going to start blasting a potential Water-type with Dark Pulse. The offensive presence alongside Clamperl I believe is pivotal for this third slot. Houndour is also a good Pokemon to send in when you're mourning the death of Clamperl as well and your sweep didn't go the way you thought it would, because it shines when teams are weakened. That, however, requires a bit more Sucker Punch action, whereas I enjoy Substitute to ease prediction and Fire Blast misses.

It's going to be easy to build a defensive backbone around Diglett / Houndour as we have potentially two offensive Pokemon to abuse useful immunities to help us think about defensive typings to utilize. Some thinking ahead.

Early Bird is if we feeling the Foongus blues, Flash Fire is otherwise superior.

Vote away!

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looks like A-Grimer is the winning set! Below you can see the team as it currently stands.

Now its time to start the second half of our team. What is the team still weak to? What do we still need to accomplish for a Clamperl sweep? Submit some Pokemon that can achieve this!

Thanks to all who've contributed so far, nominations for stage 4 are now open.

The Team So Far:

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Fire Blast / Memento

Yo someone find me a better A-Grimer sprite please Pokesho doesn't have them and this one is DISGUSTING.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
Stuff we do have:
  • So memento support is covered.
  • Trapping Pawniard/Ferro or luring either is done.
  • Abra/Gastly are checked enough!
Stuff we want:
  • Bird checks
  • Hazard removal/deterrence
  • sun check
  • sr
Because of this, I think we either want Ferroseed or Pawniard as our SR user. Then I think both forces 5th mon Snubbull

Ferroseed really makes the team weird, where grimer-a and whatever our 6th slot would be the strongest offensive mons on the team that we can freely abuse. I'm not super fond of it.

Pawniard makes the team pretty feast or famine, but it gets up sr and applies pressure. It has a sucker punch buffer too which is helpful. this allows us to have a 6th mon of like Snivy to help offset our depressing matchup vs hazard teams.

bc of all that I think i lean towards Pawniard as our 4th mon;

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Looks like A-Grimer is the winning set! Below you can see the team as it currently stands.

Now its time to start the second half of our team. What is the team still weak to? What do we still need to accomplish for a Clamperl sweep? Submit some Pokemon that can achieve this!

Thanks to all who've contributed so far, nominations for stage 4 are now open.

The Team So Far:

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Fire Blast / Memento

Yo someone find me a better A-Grimer sprite please Pokesho doesn't have them and this one is DISGUSTING.
Try this? It's not the greatest, but at least its Alolan Grimer. I think this is the one PS uses, but I don't remember for sure where I took this one off so I can't properly credit it.
http://res.cloudinary.com/dm9polzqa/image/upload/v1485660505/Grimer-alola_upohrc.png

I'm not sure what I want as out next mon, but we don't have a rocker so I think I'm going to plug
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off / Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
It gives us reliable rocks, which is good, and discourages spinning+beats spin staryu, which is really handy as well. It doesn't do that well vs birds, esp compared with pawniard, but can still twave them and give the team a chance. Knock Off is good even if we have it on Grimer, but I wouldn't be that opposed to Iron Head either. It's also a backup grass check in case we need Grimer, and can take on water types without us having to resort to our wincon (or taking on the likes of Chinchou at all).

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass

Magnemite deters popular hazard removers such as Staryu and Vullaby. Magnemite also deals with Bird spam really well and can function as another offensive force so we aren't extremely reliant on a Clamperl sweep. Volt Switch is also nice to either safely bring in Clamperl to set up or to trap something with either Diglett or Alolan-Grimer. Hidden Power Grass helps deal with Chinchou as well as Ground-types such as Mudbray and Drilburr.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
I'm late but here are your options! We've got some ironclad reasoning (get it? because they are steel type...) behind our submissions this round. I've included the reasoning in with the options below. When you vote, feel free to post what reasoning convinced you along with the vote!
Stuff we want:
  • Bird checks
  • Hazard removal/deterrence
  • sun check
  • sr
Because of this, I think we either want Ferroseed or Pawniard as our SR user. Then I think both forces 5th mon Snubbull

Ferroseed really makes the team weird, where grimer-a and whatever our 6th slot would be the strongest offensive mons on the team that we can freely abuse. I'm not super fond of it.

Pawniard makes the team pretty feast or famine, but it gets up sr and applies pressure. It has a sucker punch buffer too which is helpful. this allows us to have a 6th mon of like Snivy to help offset our depressing matchup vs hazard teams.

bc of all that I think i lean towards Pawniard as our 4th mon;

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

I'm not sure what I want as out next mon, but we don't have a rocker so I think I'm going to plug
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off / Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
It gives us reliable rocks, which is good, and discourages spinning+beats spin staryu, which is really handy as well. It doesn't do that well vs birds, esp compared with pawniard, but can still twave them and give the team a chance. Knock Off is good even if we have it on Grimer, but I wouldn't be that opposed to Iron Head either. It's also a backup grass check in case we need Grimer, and can take on water types without us having to resort to our wincon (or taking on the likes of Chinchou at all).

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass

Magnemite deters popular hazard removers such as Staryu and Vullaby. Magnemite also deals with Bird spam really well and can function as another offensive force so we aren't extremely reliant on a Clamperl sweep. Volt Switch is also nice to either safely bring in Clamperl to set up or to trap something with either Diglett or Alolan-Grimer. Hidden Power Grass helps deal with Chinchou as well as Ground-types such as Mudbray and Drilburr.

Happy voting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)