Latias (Physically Defensive Calm Mind) [GP 2/2]

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Should either use Pursuit, Latias can easily begin to set up six Calm Minds, fearing nothing but a critical hit.
I decided to run calcs to see how feasible setting up on CBed Pursuits is, and you might want to avoid setting up all the way due to the ever-increasing chance that one of those Pursuits will crit and OHKO Latias.

+3 Dragon Pulse vs 248 / 0 Scizor: 45%-53% (2HKO with SR down)
+3 Dragon Pulse vs 252 / 0 Tyranitar: 43%-51% (you might as well say this is a 2HKO with SR down).
+2 Dragon Pulse also has a decent shot of 2HKOing after SR + Spikes.

CB Pursuit does a bit more than 25% on average for both. For simplicity's sake I'm bumping it to 25%

Calm Mind (100), Pursuiter switches in

Reflect Pursuit (75) <- Latias' current Health

CM Pursuit (50)

Recover Pursuit (75)

CM Pursuit (50)

Recover Pursuit (75) (reflect wears off)

Reflect Pursuit (50)

Recover Pursuit (75)

Dragon Pulse (does half of TTar/Scizor's remaining health) Pursuit (50)

Dragon Pulse KO

(8 Pursuits = ~40% chance to crit)

Calm Mind (100), Scizor switches in

Reflect Pursuit (81) <- Latias' current health

Calm Mind Pursuit (62)

Calm Mind Pursuit (43)

Recover Pursuit (74).

Dragon Pulse (does half of Scizor's remaining health) Pursuit (55). Reflect wears off.

Dragon Pulse KO (61)

(Or you could set up a Reflect, Recover twice, Dragon Pulse)

5 Pursuits = ~28% chance to crit.

tl;dr Don't set up 6 CMs on them unless you have to. Given that 8 Pursuits already have a 40% chance of critting, getting greedy with the CMs gives this set a conflip's worth of surviving.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder. Checking this.

EDIT:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/latias

QC: [3/3]
GP: [1/2]

It has been a long time since I last did a write-up of any sort, so please bear with me! Been using this set a lot recently, it's been very successful. I used it in the Tour last week and other people like Nachos can allude to its ability. It should be separate from any other set as it plays differently.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive Calm Mind
move 1: Dragon Pulse
move 2: Recover
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Reflect
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
[space]
<p>This set gives a more defensive twist to Latias, in comparison to the standard Calm Mind set. By increasing her physical bulk and utilizing Reflect, Latias is able to stand up to several physical powerhouses. Courtesy of her great typing and superb Special Defense, this Latias is still able to sponge many powerful and common special attacks.</p>

<p>Reflect really raises the boundary of Latias's aptitude, especially when combined with the defensive EV spread. Allowing Latias to take less damage from the hard-hitting Choice Band Tyranitar and Scizor is always advantageous; Latias can easily outspeed both, and use Reflect to sponge their assaults. Should either use Pursuit, Latias can easily begin to set up six Calm Minds, fearing nothing but a critical hit. Latias can also take Scizor's U-turn with a surprising amount of ease, considering its power and the fact that it hits Latias for super effective damage. Choice Scarf Tyranitar may well Crunch Latias before you can Reflect, but Latias will typically be able to Reflect on the turn it she takes the Crunch, Recover a few times, and then switch out safely.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
[space]
<p>The Speed EVs allow Latias to outspeed all non-Choice Scarf Politoed, also beating Adamant Dragonite by extension. However, there are a few other Speed benchmarks that you may wish to aim for. 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe with a Timid nature can be used if you want to outspeed neutral Base 100 Speed Pokemon, such as Salamence, while also outspeeding Rotom-W and Adamant Haxorus. You can bump this up further to 152 Speed EVs, allowing Latias to beat Jolly Haxorus. Alternatively, it is feasible to just run a simple 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe set with a Timid nature. By maximizing Latias's Speed, she can get the jump on Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape, albeit in return for a significant drop in defensive ability.</p>

Truly excellent.

GP Approved 2/2

Jibaku - I have added in a sentence to state that you should be careful of critical hits, and therefore it is important to boost Latias to a necessary level only. I didn't specify examples because there are so many places that this holds true. Although it is generally a known thing as a player to only boost to a necessary level, I think that it is important to note for new players, especially this set because of critical hits knocking through Reflect. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the GP check, SuperJOCKE. This is now complete!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)