Metagame Last Will

So the current state is a bug, as the last will “fails“ when the pokemon is choicelocked into another move.
Take Azelfie said:
Last Will's are only able to be activated if the Pokemon could normally perform the move
Reading comprehension is a very important skill to pick up. Since a choice-locked pokemon can't normaly use any other move, so too can they not use it here.

If a mon faints to recoil, does it still count as Last Will?
Because it doesn't faint by the opponent but by itself?
And kinda the same question: If you use explosion, do you get to use explosion again (if its in the last moveslot?

Reading comprehension is a very important skill to pick up. Since a choice-locked pokemon can't normaly use any other move, so too can they not use it here.
Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to sleep/freeze/paralysis/taunt is a normal occurrence. Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to choice band is not. Also, some items (e.g. Power Herb) are apparently not supposed to work after fainting, and I had no way of knowing whether choice band was one of them. Which is why, immediately after that rule change was posted, I asked if it would affect choice items. Semako convincingly argued that the rule change shouldn't affect choice items, nobody disputed that, and nobody gave an official answer on how it would be implemented.

Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to sleep/freeze/paralysis/taunt is a normal occurrence. Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to choice band is not. Also, some items (e.g. Power Herb) are apparently not supposed to work after fainting, and I had no way of knowing whether choice band was one of them. Which is why, immediately after that rule change was posted, I asked if it would affect choice items. Semako convincingly argued that the rule change shouldn't affect choice items, nobody disputed that, and nobody gave an official answer on how it would be implemented.
Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to choice band is literally how it works; pokemon cannot use that attack. If you want an example of this, see how choice band works in magic room: if you try to click any other move, you will instead use struggle. Semako's "argument" isn't relevant as it happens to be false; choice items still locking in magic room is a new game mechanic, not a simulator glitch. This idea was also brought up directly alongside the proposal for the current implimentation, so I'm not sure how you could have seen one but not the other.

Attempting to use a move and having it fail due to choice band is literally how it works; pokemon cannot use that attack. If you want an example of this, see how choice band works in magic room: if you try to click any other move, you will instead use struggle. Semako's "argument" isn't relevant as it happens to be false; choice items still locking in magic room is a new game mechanic, not a simulator glitch. This idea was also brought up directly alongside the proposal for the current implimentation, so I'm not sure how you could have seen one but not the other.
Why would I know about that obscure mechanic that has not affected any game I've ever played outside of this meta? And I saw that this change had been proposed, but I saw nothing to indicate that it would be implemented.
Not sure why this debate is going on so long. It's not that complicated: if you're running a metagame and someone asks for clarification about a rule change, then clarify it for them, especially if someone else is giving them misinformation about it.

Why would I know about that obscure mechanic that has not affected any game I've ever played outside of this meta? And I saw that this change had been proposed, but I saw nothing to indicate that it would be implemented.
Not sure why this debate is going on so long. It's not that complicated: if you're running a metagame and someone asks for clarification about a rule change, then clarify it for them, especially if someone else is giving them misinformation about it.
This issue you're pointing to doesn't exist though. There was a rule change, mentioned in thread, about this update to mechanics. You're question was answered within the post itself:
New Last Will Change
Last Will's are only able to be activated if the Pokemon could normally perform the move, e.g. cannot use support moves under the influence of Taunt, or any other move when inflicted Sleep, Freeze, or fully paralyzed. If they can't perform there Last Will they will use Struggle instead.

Reason: A lot of people were complaining about the bs of bypassing any rule and I originally intended for this to be added anyways but I guess I should've been more clear with that.

New Clause
Your team may not have more than 2 of any of these moves: Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, V-Create, Explosion.

Reason: In an attempt to make the metagame much more enjoyable I am limiting the amount of "broken" moves you can have per team to 2.
This is like asking if Arceus is banned in AG, and then demanding that Chloe quote your post and respond; it's literally mentioned in the OP. Choice band locking you into one move isn't an obscure mechanic: it's in the item description. I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Moving onto a more metagame-relevant note, I've been really enjoying Mega Sableye and Protect. Mega Sableye can bounce back last will status and rocks+is immune to explosion, which alonside burns makes it extremely helpful at handling most teams. Protect is also useful for explosion or when combined with some kind of passive damage (leech seed, toxic, etc.) and can allow you to get a 0v1 trade and often set the game in your favor.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
And kinda the same question: If you use explosion, do you get to use explosion again (if its in the last moveslot?
yes, they will since the only requirement for a Last Will to attempt to happen is that the Pokemon must have just fainted. The meta likes to abuse double explosion users as a low risk kind of strat since it is almost guaranteed to get the trade off.

This issue you're pointing to doesn't exist though. There was a rule change, mentioned in thread, about this update to mechanics. You're question was answered within the post itself:

This is like asking if Arceus is banned in AG, and then demanding that Chloe quote your post and respond; it's literally mentioned in the OP. Choice band locking you into one move isn't an obscure mechanic: it's in the item description. I'm not sure where you're getting this from.
The interaction of choice band and embargo is an obscure mechanic. So is the interaction of choice band and dancer.
And this is nothing like asking if Arceus is banned in AG. AG explicitly says in the OP that no mons are banned, and if for some reason someone asked in thread, everyone knows the answer, so there wouldn't be a debate and thus no need for an official answer to the debate. In this case there was no explicit answer to my question posted anywhere in the thread, and there was a debate with no clear answer.

Last edited:
My former post was related to this:
New Last Will Change
Last Will's are only able to be activated if the Pokemon could normally perform the move, e.g. cannot use support moves under the influence of Taunt, or any other move when inflicted Sleep, Freeze, or fully paralyzed. If they can't perform there Last Will they will use Struggle instead.
Because currently, the choice-locked mon's last Will simply fails, but according to this post, it should use Struggle if it can't use the Last Will.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
My former post was related to this:

Because currently, the choice-locked mon's last Will simply fails, but according to this post, it should use Struggle if it can't use the Last Will.
Yeah they couldn't code it to do struggle unfortunately
I've tried to implement these on ROM, although I think your Last Will simply fails if you can't normally perform the move. - Urkerab

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt
For your first question, yes, recoil damage does indeed trigger last wills-however stuff like rapid spin won't work from recoil.

As for your second question, I think so, although it's possible that they have made countermeasures to that that are pre-made.

So even though this thread seems kinda dead, I wanted to share a fun team I've been testing out a little recently. It's built around the idea of using Aurora Veil as a last will to create opportunities for a teammate to put in work. This honestly isn't actually a great team, as it has weaknesses to a bunch of common stuff on the ladder (Mimikyu in particular eats this team alive if Mawile goes down), but I've enjoyed playing with it regardless so I decided to post it here. The basic idea is that 90% of the time you lead Azelf (unless the opp has like a faster Taunt user or something) and get up rocks, while hopefullly making a 1 for 1 trade with Explosion. Then go Alolan Ninetales and set up an Aurora Veil. After that, Victini and Mawile are able to just nuke shit because they're far less prone to revenge killing under Aurora Veil and can sometimes pick up 2-3 KOes. Latios is on this team because Memento support is super nice, and further complements the Aurora Veil support that Ninetales provides. Tyranitar was added to Pursuit trap the Ghost-types that otherwise give this team trouble (I mean some of them still do). Life Orb is a weird item on ttar but with Choice items being generally pretty bad in this meta, I wasn't sure what else to give it.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Explosion

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- V-create

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Memento

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
After dealing with Last Will constantly crashing for weeks, I decided to finally personally look into the code, and it's actually kinda depressing how easy it is to fix.

Anyway, in addition to hopefully fixing the most important remaining crashes, Last Will now activates after taking damage, instead of before, so the in-battle animation should make more sense now.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
This new update is pretty big. Mons like Breloom can't use focus punch anymore, and does flinch go before the move now? (i.e. there's a flinch chance on the last will move).

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
This new update is pretty big. Mons like Breloom can't use focus punch anymore, and does flinch go before the move now? (i.e. there's a flinch chance on the last will move).
I'd fix this, but it looks like Last Will has ended its run as a supported PS format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)