VGC Lapras Powa

Hi all guys, I'm here to show u one of my experiments: a VGC team started from Lapras ^^

Building Phase:

So all started from Lapras. Why this? Because I read a post that was about the best water team for the VGC, and at the fifth position was Lapras. So the first thing was to think about a moveset for it, and I saw that he can learn a really useful move: Icy Wind. So here the role for this mon. Later we will se all the moveset with the spread.

Since I have Icy Wind I found useless to use a Trick Room strategy in this team. That's why I wanted another form of speed control, so I choosed Talonflame with his priority Tailwind. But at this point I noticed that I had still no legendaries, so the first thing that I thought was: "let's use a double primal core". So this team became a Double Primal team.

Now I noticed that I had still no megas, and I had no counter for Xerneas (yes I have Groudon, but is better to exaggerate D:). So I thought to Mega-Mawile, a powerful megamon that can counter Xerneas, but also Salamence, Rayquaza and can give me the Intimidate support. Finally I needed my last member. Seeing that I could use a second mega, I choosed Mega-Salamence, it is always useful to have it.​

Movesets:

Lapras (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icy Wind
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump

So let's start with movesets. Here is the star of the team. With this spread I can resist to a +2 Moonblast from Xerneas and a Low Kick from Mega-Kanga. The problem of this mon is the speed, that's why I though to Icy Wind and Tailwind. The ability is fantastic, with a good predict I can absorb a powerful Water Spout and refull my HP. Finally the moves: Ice Shard as priority, it's always good to have it, I can KO Salamence or Rayquaza with priority; Icy Wind it's my solution to the low speed as I said before; Freeze-Dry is an awesome move, I can hit really hard some of the most used mons in the tier, like Mega-Salamence or Kyogre; finally Hydro Pump as STAB because Lapras can't learn Scald (D:). Anyway it has less precision, but under the rain it makes really high damage.

Talonflame (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard/Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Here a classical Talonflame, my second idea for the speed control and one of the most used mon in the VGC thanks to it's fantastic ability. I can easily set a priority Tailwind to help my team. But he can also protect my teams from priority like Fake Out, Extreme speed or other Talonflame flying moves with Quick Guard. THe other two moves are the two STABs that can deal really much damage. The only problem is that both have the recoil, and with the Life Orb recoil is a great problem. I thought to Taunt too, but only >Quick Guard. Even If I could also set Taut>Flare Blitz... What do u think about this?

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Protect
- Eruption
- Rock Slide
- Precipice Blades

Another king of the VGC. With its fantastic ability I can nullify the water moves, but obv I have to be care when I use my Lapras. The spread and the nature are quite strange, but I found it on the suggestions from Pokemon Showdown. With this spread it has a great phisical defence, yes, but I am really weak to special attacks... For the moves: Protect always useful, Eruption to deal much damage to both foes, Rock Slide to hit Talonflame and usually Ho-oh, finally Precipice Blade as STAB and signature move.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Scald
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

Same speech for Kyogre. I found the set on the suggestion on Pokemon Showdown. Maybe for Kyogre this set has more sense, seeing the high special defence. I can resist a lot of hits thanks the high defences and deal massive damage even spending only 4 Evs in SpAtk. Protect useful as said before, Scald+Water Spout as STABs, the first is to avoid to use Water Spout when I'm low HP, finally Ice Beam to coverage.​

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Here my Xerneas and dragons Counter. The ability is really useful if used well. The spread let me have massive damage but also good resistance (not great but well). No Evs used in speed just because I'm slow also with a max Evs and Tailwind. Sucker Punch help me in this case. It's a great priority move. THen we have the evergreen Protect and the two STABs Play Rough and Iron Head.

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor/Fire Blast

Finally another great pokemon. First in its normal form he can provide the Intimidate support which is always welcome. In its mega form he have another great ability in Aerilate. So all normal moves become Flying moves and get a boost. That's why the "mixed" set, to have a powerful special move like Hyper Voice to hit both of opponents, but also a powerful Double-Edge. Then we have protect and finally another powerful STAB in Draco Meteor. Another alternative is Fire Blast to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor.

So this is the team. I have to say that I collected victoryes but also defeats testing it and, very importantly, sometimes Lapras led me to win the game.
I hope that someone can help me to improve this team and, if it's possible, I hope that no one will contest my idea of using Lapras in a VGC team just because it's never used.
So, as always, thanks in advance to all the answers.

hi Savior37, i enjoy seeing lapras being used and your team showcases it quite well.

you aren't weak to much at all which is pretty commendable on your behalf teambuilding-wise. however, many of your spreads are inefficient / can be optimized to better suit the nature of dual primal teams. as a rule of thumb, using the suggested spreads on pokemon showdown! is generally a bad idea since they generally give terribly inefficient 252 / 252 spreads as seen by your kyogre and groudon.

taunt > quick guard would be the preferred second move on talonflame. while quick guard's utility is definitely shown in its ability to lead well versus kangaskhan as well as other fake out users and make the mirror match a bit more favorable, most talonflame click tailwind turn 1 and if you click quick guard on that turn, all the momentum you gained will shift right into their favor. you also lead well vs most teams that talon is on by just leading kyogre mawile / salamence. taunt's ability to shut down smeargle is necessary for this team as you are lacking another solid answer otherwise. it can also prevent xerneas from setting up geomancy which is quite beneficial given your answers to it are easily worn down. (taunt over blitz is also an option since you have a steel-type answer in pdon. however, rayogre could be a bit annoying to face if you drop blitz)

you can afford to run a physical primal groudon over a mixed variant to make xerneas a little easier to handle. this is because mixed primal groudon is forced to run a -speed nature if it doesn't want any of its moves weakened. however, since your team is not trick room oriented, you need to run the -special defense nature to keep the power of all your moves the same, thus making xerneas more difficult to switch into. with only 12 hp and 12 spdef, a +2 xerneas's hp ground is a 2hko while dazzling gleam is a 3hko, leaving you many more evs to invest in attack with. the finalized spread would be 12 hp / 228 atk / 4 def / 12 spdef / 252 spe with a jolly nature and fire punch > eruption to be all physical. max speed groudon lets it fare better against other groudon archetypes, including dual primal itself. 232 atk wastes evs so 4 is put into defense for good measure.

as for primal kyogre, a spread of 252 hp / 124 def / 76 spa / 4 spdef / 52 spe > your current one is fine. while i enjoy bold kyogre, this team needs to be able to remove of mega kangaskhan immediately as well as do significant damage to many more pokemon. while bold kyogre takes nearly any attack in the game, it's generally not worth losing all your power to live those select hits, especially since you have answers to many of the pokemon bold kyogre are supposed to take on. this spread is able to knock out mega kangskhan on the switch in while outpacing all primal kyogre bar the rarer timid variants. 252 hp / 124 def are leftover evs while 4 spdef is just so evs aren't wasted elsewhere.

on mawile, you can try a spread of 148 hp / 252 atk / 108 spe which hits a speed of 84. this is a great speed since it under speeds base 90 pokemon and primals in general, as well as outspeeding base 100's and below under tailwind, helping you against xerneas, yveltal and kangaskhan, all of which are checked by your mawile. moonblast and dazzling gleam are both still 2hkos with less bulk.

finally, mega salamence's spread is fine, however if you want a bit more bulk, run 4 hp / 4 atk / 4 def / 244 spa / 252 spe. this utilizes the 244-tech and allows you to live a couple of more attacks due to the nature of how stats work at level 50. of course this is optional, but take it into consideration as always. i'd stick with draco meteor > fire blast or straight up drop draco meteor for tailwind so you have an alternate form of speed control alongside talonflame. double edge does considerable damage to mega rayquaza and most of mega salamence's targets and whatever double edge doesn't kill, hyper voice will take out afterwards, usually. mega salamence also prefers naive > hasty to not compromise its naturally high physical defense which, when coupled with intimidate, lets it take many physical attacks well.

that's about it. these changes should hopefully make a better and more efficient dual primal + lapras team.

Overview:
taunt > quick guard or flare blitz* on talon
12 hp / 228 atk / 4 def / 12 spdef / 252 spe jolly on groudon, fire punch > eruption
252 hp / 124 def / 76 spa / 4 spdef / 52 spe modest on kyogre
148 hp / 252 atk / 108 spe on mawile
4 hp / 4 atk / 4 def / 244 spa / 252 spe** on salamence, tailwind over draco meteor or draco meteor over fire blast**, naive > hasty
(* makes rayogre more annoying)
(**optional)

Lapras (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icy Wind
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump

Talonflame (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 12 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Precipice Blades

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Scald
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind

Hi GradeAGarchomp and thank u for the rate first of all!

- Talonflame: Understood the utility of Taunt, but I think that also Quick Guard in many cases can be a great move... I think I'll try the Taunt>Flare Blitz, but if I see that I have problems against the Rayogre, I'll switch on the Taunt>Quick Guard. Obv I need a lot of test to decide this...

- Primals: Yes, I thought that the suggested spread on Showdown was quite useless, but I really had no idea about their spread... Luckily u adviced me these spreads, I'll change them now and I will test them, but I'm sure that they are great. Ok also for the all phisical P-Don.

- Mawile: Ok also for Mega-Mawile, I like this less bulky/more speed spread, I didn't know that I could invest less Evs in HP but also be useful...

- Salamence: Also a great idea to run Tailwind on Salamence too, this gives me more choice when I have to choose my four members, also the spread seems really good (just because is more beautiful too see a more complicate spread instead the classical 4/252/252 D:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)