SM Ubers Laddering is a Stress-Free Activity (1755 Elo, #18)

Intro

For those do not know me, please allow me to introduce myself. I go by DMDW, which is abbreviation of DawnManeDuskWings. Earlier, I made couple posts in OU forums until USUM Ubers has attracted me to C&C section. Thanks to helpful users there, I managed to adapt to the metagame faster than I expected. As of now, I am challenging my limits as a player and preparing for UPL. However, at the same time, I felt like I am 'sticking around' without properly introducing myself. I hope this thread serves as an opportunity for others to learn a little more about myself.

It is entirely up to the reader whether the title of this thread is sarcastic or not, as I believe most already know.

Teambuilding process

The team was built around dual Defog + Life Orb Ho-Oh core. When dealing with physical threats, Giratina and Skarmory cover each other well enough. Ho-Oh massively benefits from strong hazard removal support and makes up passivity of this team to large extent while spreading both burn and poison.

Arceus-Fairy has been added in order to provide the team with a strong check to Yveltal and Marshadow. It serves as a Stealth Rock user in my team, and this is valuable due to Arceus-Fairy's ability to set up said entry hazard against other stall team. In addition, Arceus-Fairy is capable of dealing with Substitute variants of Mega Salamence and Zygarde-C, which would be serious problems if they are the last ones in the party. Arceus also serves as a good check to Mega Gyarados and Zekrom, both of which are uncommon but are notable threats to many stall teams.

Giratina being a wall that relies on Rest to stay healthy, Arceus-Fairy being significantly hindered by Toxic, and my team being borderline stall team have necessitated me to get a cleric. Chansey solves most problems with support Arceus formes, and serves as a strong check to Xerneas, Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, and Calm Mind Arceus formes.

It wouldn't be hard to realize that the team is very weak to trappers around this point. I was considering about adding good old Lum Berry trapper Tyrantiar, but I decided to use unused Mega Slot for Mega Tyranitar which takes a lot of weight off from Giratina from handling Ho-Oh and ensures that opposing Yveltal won't U-turn straight into Gothitelle after I send Arceus-Fairy. Mega Tyranitar traps Mega Gengar and Gothitelle - although the latter requires prediction, most foes, at least the ones I have seen, anticipate defensive Stealth Rock set and tend to press Charm, only to find themselves at critical health after getting hit by Crunch.

If this team seems overly familiar, this leads to my disclaimer.
Another Ubers player Serial EKiller has almost identical team to mine, with the exceptions of him having Blissey over Chansey and having different movesets and EV spreads on couple Pokémon. He had better performance on the ladder so please contact him if you desire to see the different version.

Team

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 54 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

- Rest

Giratina is a hard stop to defensive Primal Groudon and a blanket check majority of physical attackers when healthy enough. It also crucially gives my team an upper hand in long run by depleting PP from troublesome walls like Toxapex or Ferrothorn rapidly. Although the moveset might seem bizarre, this Giratina is much better in practice. Toxic is mandatory in order to cripple Primal Groudon and switch-ins such as Yveltal. Will-O-Wisp lets Giratina to cripple Steel-types that switch into it, most notable one being Necrozma-DM. Will-O-Wisp is also handy when it comes to dealing with Toxic-immune Pokémon such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Magearna. The reason why phazing move has not been employed in this set is due to the fact that Giratina struggles against "last Pokémon from other team", such as SubSD Groundceus or SubDD Mmence regardless, and the rest of the team is defensive enough to take care of most threats after Giratina afflicts them with status. Defog is there so that Giratina can remove hazards, and Rest is the only forme of recovery available to Giratina. Running 72 SpD EV's is an option to take physical variants of Primal Kyogre's Ice Beam better.

1521508392041.png

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Toxic

- Roost

Skarmory covers EdgeQuake variants of Swords Dance Primal Groudon, Necrozma-DM, Swords Dance Arceus formes, and more importantly, Stealth Rock users like Arceus-Fairy. There is not much to say about this Pokémon because how straightforward it is to use Skarmory. Whirlwind phazes setup sweepers, Defog removes hazards, Toxic cripples Arceus formes and switch-ins, and Roost is needed for Skarmory to stay healthy. Thanks to Tyranitar, it can afford to use Rocky Helmet over Shed Shell, meaning it can punish Necrozma-DM and Mega Salamence harder.

I'm sorry Fireburn but I couldn't find better image for this Pokémon.
Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic

- Recover

Ho-Oh can afford to invest in HP thanks to how well can this team bother Necrozma-DM. In other words, it won't have to run 152 Speed EV's to creep Adamant Necrozma-DM and invest enough bulk to survive +2 Xerneas' Thunder and revenge kill in case Chansey goes down. This is another straightforward and standard Life Orb Ho-Oh set, and unlike defensive set with Leftovers, Gothitelle cannot trap this variant. Brave Bird is the strongest STAB, Sacred Fire spread burns, while Toxic cripples foes such as Arceus-Water and Giratina-O.

1521509094193.png

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 76 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Arceus-Fairy compresses roles of checking Yveltal, Marshadow, mixed Rayquaza, and Zygarde-C. Although it possesses painful vulnerability to Mega Gengar and Gothitelle, it is a great partner for the rest of my team. Apart from that, it is a consistent Stealth Rock user that gives the team an upper hand in stall vs stall matchups by threatening Mega Sableye. Will-O-Wisp punishes any switch-in barring Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, notably crippling Necrozma-DM, and it saves me from a huge headache about playing around Sunraze Searing Smash. EV spreads is to creep Adamant Mega Salamence and Mega Lucario.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Confide

Chansey walls would-be lethal threats, such as Refresh Calm Mind Arceus formes, SubCM Pogre, and Xerneas (both Power Herb and Z-Geomancy). The reason why opted for Chansey over Blissey is to ensure that it evades 2HKO from +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas and +1 Origin Pulse from Primal Kyogre, which Chansey can do with Calm nature and Eviolite boost. Nature Cure lets Chansey freely switch in to eat Toxic from Arceus formes and switch out without real concern. Soft-Boiled is a recovery and is spammed after Chansey poisons a foe, Heal Bell is there to alleviate Giratina and Mega Tyranitar from being immobile for two turns from Rest, Toxic is a staple for Chansey to wear down foes, and Confide lets Chansey check aforementioned special attackers.

1521516835302.png

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 48 Atk / 112 Def / 108 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

- Rest

Against many opponents, lots of questions were aroused about this member. Some say Lum Berry Tyranitar is better thanks to it being able to switch into Will-O-Wisp, while others say Leftovers Tyranitar is better for longevity. While they are not completely wrong, I opted for Mega Tyranitar over regular Tyranitar for various reasons.

Mega Tyranitar has significantly better bulk and overall stats; to specify advantages, it does not need to invest in Attack to guarantee OHKO on PerishTrap Mega Gengar with Pursuit, nor does it have to Speed creep for Gothitelle. Also when it comes to taking on threats like Yveltal and Rayquaza, Mega Tyranitar takes a lot of burden off from Arceus-Fairy and eases prediction when they are paired with Gothitelle. In other words, Mega Tyranitar can offensively cover some threats that Arceus-Fairy can handle without fear of being trapped by Gothitelle. More importantly, I chose Mega Tyranitar to have better chance against Naganadel at a cost of being a little unreliable against Mega Gengar. That leads to my explanation on EV spread:

+2 252 SpA Naganadel Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 240 HP / 108+ SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 297-349 (74 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

48 Atk burned Tyranitar-Mega Pursuit (BP 80) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar-Mega: 165-195 (63.2 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 79-93 (30.2 - 35.6%) -- 38.6% chance to 3HKO

Mega Tyranitar can survive a Z-move and take out Naganadel or at worst let Ho-Oh reliably revenge kill it. 48 Atttack EV's allow burned Tyranitar to weaken Mega Gengar to the point where it cannot switch into Arceus-Fairy's Judgment (factoring sandstorm, the two attacks KO Mega Gengar).

Crunch is there to hit Gothitelle as well as punish Necrozma-DM if it assumes Tyranitar to be running defensive Stealth Rock set. Pursuit lets Mega Tyranitar trap Mega Gengar, Mega Mewtwo Y, Lunala locked into a wrong move, and Gothitelle after it has been hit by Crunch. Rock Slide hits Ho-Oh, offensive Yveltal, and Mega Rayquaza, OHKOing them all after Stealth Rock. Rest allows Tyranitar to stay healthy and check dangerous threats like Life Orb Ho-Oh from other team that would overwhelm Giratina easily.

Threats

Although Mega Tyranitar can trap Gothitelle, it still involves mind game and double switching to effectively prevent it from taking out Skarmory, Arceus-Fairy, or Chansey. Relieving fact is that this team doesn't immediately have to press x against Marshadow and Yveltal once Arceus-Fairy is gone; Ho-Oh can still handle variants without Rock Tomb, while Tyranitar hard walls standard Life Orb variants. In general, one must play very cautiously around Gothitelle, as it is obviously a formidable threat to any stall teams.

SubSD Arceus-Ground can become a serous issue to deal with when it is the last Pokémon remaining on the other team, because it cannot be phazed. While it might sound very irrational, the best way for this team to deal with this threat is to status it beforehand by any means necessary or stall out Stone Edge PP. Couple times, I managed to play around by going to Ho-Oh and going to Giratina to take off as much Stone Edge's PP as possible so that Skarmory can have the best chance at walling it. Running Perish Song on Arceus-Fairy sounds plausible, but it is OHKOd by +2 Tectonic Rage and in this aspect it won't be worth over using Will-O-Wisp.

1521518312984.png

Z-moves are nuisance for any stall teams to deal with, and the same goes to my team. Necrozma-DM can dent or KO Skarmory and Ho-Oh with +2 Sunraze Searing Smash and it is quite annoying to play around this in genearl. Bulk Up Marshadow variants are also hard to deal with, as it can blow past Skarmory, Ho-Oh, and Arceus-Fairy after some prior damage. My way of dealing with them is "playing around", but predictions can go wrong any time.

Elo Screenshots

My GXE is horrible, but this is the best I could do :P​

Closing

Some words I hear about this generation of Ubers is that this generation is very reliant on matchups. However, you can still build your own brigade, hop on ladder, and reach your goal. Thank you for reading my RMT and those who wanted to know me as a player, I hope this RMT did a job and please free to leave any suggestions; after all, I am still quite a new player and definitely have rooms for improvement!

Here's a replay of how this team can be worked with.
Link

Any Ubers players listed going for UPL, best of luck!

Edit:

Added importable.
Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Rest

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Recover

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 76 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Confide

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 48 Atk / 112 Def / 108 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Rest

Last edited:

Hydrra

Banned deucer.
cool team but why did you say you can't phase Sub SD groundceus when your alarm has Whirlwind?

cool team but why did you say you can't phase Sub SD groundceus when your alarm has Whirlwind?
The truth is, if Arceus-Ground is the last Pokémon in the opposing team, it cannot be phazed. It can then proceed to steamroll the rest of the squad after getting to +6 behind Substitute.

Edit: To clarify, Skarmory's Whirlwind 'fails'.

Last edited:
I feel like this team would work a lot better if you just gave Defog to Arceus-Fairy and found something better than Giratina. Fairyceus + Skarmory seems like a super solid core to me, especially with Chansey for rocks backup. (Seriously, confide? Chansey checks every special attacker not named Gothitelle anyway.) This way you could bring in a real check to groundceus like, say, defensive Rest-Talk Pogre? (That's just me spitballing there's almost certainly something better.)

I feel like this team would work a lot better if you just gave Defog to Arceus-Fairy and found something better than Giratina. Fairyceus + Skarmory seems like a super solid core to me, especially with Chansey for rocks backup. (Seriously, confide? Chansey checks every special attacker not named Gothitelle anyway.) This way you could bring in a real check to groundceus like, say, defensive Rest-Talk Pogre? (That's just me spitballing there's almost certainly something better.)
Arceus-Fairy is unfortunately not the best Defog user due to its horrendous matchup against Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM and Ferrothorn, and there is no way whatsoever for Arceus-Fairy to meaningfully threaten them. Giratina is mandatory to take on Primal Groudon and to not lose hazard PP war against defensive Necrozma-DM and Toxapex, and it is the only Pokémon in my team that can take a hit from +2 Primal Groudon and set it on timer using Toxic - edgequake is checked by Skarmory while fp + blades is handled by Ho-Oh.

Chansey isn't the Pokémon we might want to use Stealth Rock on, as it draws in Steel-types and they too have hazards, meaning I will mostly end up only trading hazards and it is my loss due to how vulnerable Ho-Oh is to Stealth Rock. Also making Chansey run Stealth Rock instead of Arceus-Fairy means I have significantly harder matchup against other teams with Mega Sableye, which this team would otherwise excel against. While it is true that Chansey can wall significant portion of the metagame without Confide, it is still necessary in stall teams so that Calm Mind + Refresh Arceus-Dark / Arceus-Flying, SubCM Primal Kyogre, and Z-Geomancy Xerneas (which is rare yet relevant) won't straight up destroy my team. Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback.

It's true that I mostly play teams where trading rocks is at worst an even trade, so I wasn't thinking in those terms. However, I struggle to see how Giratina is stopping an Arceus or Groudon from setting up rocks, especially if they carry Toxic.

It's true that I mostly play teams where trading rocks is at worst an even trade, so I wasn't thinking in those terms. However, I struggle to see how Giratina is stopping an Arceus or Groudon from setting up rocks, especially if they carry Toxic.
The only relevant Arceus formes that set Stealth Rock are Arceus-Fairy, Arceus-Ground, and Arceus-Rock. The former two are easily dealt by Skarmory, while the latter does't have a room for Toxic and can hit Giratina with Judgment only 8 times while it is going to be hit by Toxic in the process.

Curious, yesterday I found a guy moving that team. I think the difference was in Rock Tomb Ttar. The funny thing is that it was in the morning.

Since I play ubers I've never been interested in stall. I'm not a person with patience for that but honestly I love it. It is original despite having no mons as Sableye that are almost mandatory.

I'm curious about whether you've had encounters vs sticky / psychic terrain and Pogre / Lucario / Perish song Darkceus & Gengar. It should not be comfortable to fit that. Apart from the mentioned Sub SD groundceus.

Congratulations for the team, really. Also with more strength the achievement achieved. Right now it seems harder to stay in the ladder. I guess there are more people and level. Oh, sorry for not contributing much more than a comment but I would not touch anything on something that works, it would be delicate. In principle you have practically everything covered in the most that is used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)