Komala Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Komala
Normal
Abilities: Comatose / Comatose / Comatose
HP: 65
Atk: 115
Def: 65
SpAtk: 75
SpDef: 95
Spe: 65

Level Up

L1 - Defense Curl
L1 - Rollout
L6 - Stockpile
L6 - Spit Up
L6 - Swallow
L11 - Rapid Spin
L16 - Yawn
L21 - Slam
L26 - Flail
L31 - Sucker Punch
L36 - Psych Up
L41 - Wood Hammer
L46 - Thrash

TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM45 - Attract
TM47 - Low Sweep
TM48 - Round
TM60 - Quash
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM66 - Payback
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Charm
Egg - Wish
Egg - Play Rough
Egg - Sing

New Ability
Comatose: It’s always drowsing and will never wake up. It can attack without waking up.

Last edited:
Nice for lower tier! This is quite random and we all know isn't a luck-based game.
Seems a filler for the in-game pokedex. At least you can't be poisoned, burned or paralyzed. Not much else to say.

Last edited:
It could make a decent Bulk Up user à la Miltank, since it has neat Special Defense and doesn't care about burns. Reliance on Wish to heal and poor coverage sucks, though.

A bit irrelevant, but GameFreak was really generous with boosting moves and U-Turn this generation. I can't see a Pokemon that's always asleep do any type of dance, let alone a Swords Dance.

Haha I find Ironic that this doesnt get rest. It looked like it would probably evolve to.

I could see it having a CB set with that kind of attack and Immunity to Scald burns and Willowisp or a Utility or boosting attacker set. This is definitly one of the worst new pokemon I have seen easily. It not complete shit like Unknown but its like a step above.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
The fact that its two best stats are Attack and Sp.Def would make it proficient with an Assault Vest.
And it's access to Wish gives it good sustain, allowing it to support a bit.
(Not both at the same time, or course).

Shocked that this think has an attack that high but also disappointed at the lower defense, honestly wouldve preferred its defense and attack swapped lol...if you can get bulk ups off it has a high enough special defense that you could actually get some work in. gonna have to run Wish cuz unfortunately it didnt get Slack Off, get Sucker Punch which could be good priority if youre 115 at +2, Return is obviously good stab, get EQ but overall coverage is poor. Hey Im just glad its not complete trash.

feel like they shouldve really ditched the sp.atk seeing as its only special moves are hidden power and then spit up. like the rest of you have mentioned before, it really needed some better defensive stat. i understand that it has a great ability but it feels almost wasted with the defense stat. fighting type just wrecks it.

on a lighter side. you can accomplish some shenanigans with stockpile and then stockpile z move (100% recovery) its a one time recovery option, but seeing as it doesnt get rest its the only option (besides stockpile/swallow, but that just nullifies the stat raises unfortunately)

does comatose mean that it cant get confused from thrash? :3

feel like they shouldve really ditched the sp.atk seeing as its only special moves are hidden power and then spit up. like the rest of you have mentioned before, it really needed some better defensive stat. i understand that it has a great ability but it feels almost wasted with the defense stat. fighting type just wrecks it.

on a lighter side. you can accomplish some shenanigans with stockpile and then stockpile z move (100% recovery) its a one time recovery option, but seeing as it doesnt get rest its the only option (besides stockpile/swallow, but that just nullifies the stat raises unfortunately)

does comatose mean that it cant get confused from thrash? :3
Don't forget Round! But yeah, the Sp. Atk is pretty unnecessary, so it could've been bulkier.

I doubt that Comatose will stop confusion. Odds are it only prevents non-volatile status ailments.

But yeah, this movepool is not shit, and neither are those stats. Bulk Up, Swords Dance, Stockpile, Yawn, Wish, Rapid Spin, Wood Hammer, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Earthquake (how?), Acrobatics, Brick Break, Low Sweep, AND U-Turn, and it can attack while asleep...WHAT IS THIS THING?!?

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Don't forget Round! But yeah, the Sp. Atk is pretty unnecessary, so it could've been bulkier.

I doubt that Comatose will stop confusion. Odds are it only prevents non-volatile status ailments.

But yeah, this movepool is not shit, and neither are those stats. Bulk Up, Swords Dance, Stockpile, Yawn, Wish, Rapid Spin, Wood Hammer, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Earthquake (how?), Acrobatics, Brick Break, Low Sweep, AND U-Turn, and it can attack while asleep...WHAT IS THIS THING?!?
Congratulations NU - you know have the best Mono-normal wallberaker this side of Stoutland, with a support movepool on the side :P
(Maybe Kangaskan/Zangoose, but the former suffers from burn - and the latter just puts itself on a timer, really, as hard as it CAN hit.)

EDIT: Komala get's Rapid Spin... just food for thought :D

Congratulations NU - you know have the best Mono-normal wallberaker this side of Stoutland, with a support movepool on the side :P
(Maybe Kangaskan/Zangoose, but the former suffers from burn - and the latter just puts itself on a timer, really, as hard as it CAN hit.)

EDIT: Komala get's Rapid Spin... just food for thought :D
haha I know, that's why I mentioned that it does XP This thing is just over one foot tall and is always half asleep, and its got a higher BST than Breloom, Skarmory, Forretress, and Crawdaunt. I say we test it for steroids.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
haha I know, that's why I mentioned that it does XP This thing is just over one foot tall and is always half asleep, and its got a higher BST than Breloom, Skarmory, Forretress, and Crawdaunt. I say we test it for steroids.
and its got a higher BST than Breloom, Skarmory, Forretress, and Crawdaunt. I say we test it for steroids.
higher BST than Breloom, Skarmory, Forretress, and Crawdaunt
higher BST than Breloom, Skarmory, Forretress, and Crawdaunt
Insertwutrainer.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Geez, Komala packs a punch (or rather a swinging kick)! And from what I can tell that's what it's mainly going to do: dish out a lot of damage. Only other decent stat is Special Defense, but it has low HP and Speed so it'll probably focus on doing as much damage as it can. Well, when it isn't resting that is. Thinking about it maybe GF knew what they were doing when basing a Pokemon on a koala: cute, violent, and sleeps a lot (and it learns Toxic and the Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up moves too!).

Wait, that's that? IT DOESN'T GET REST? Well that's a missed opportunity, especially if you gave it Sleep Talk and Snore *sigh*. Well not only does it get Thrash but Rapid Spin so you can choose a powerful STAB or one that's more meant for utility. Well Normal-type so it has a lot of coverage: Rollout (+ Defense Curl), Sucker Punch, Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Brick Break, Acrobatics, Shadow Claw, Payback, Rock Slide, and U-turn (also a utility). Speaking or utility we pretty much covered them all: Rapid Spin, U-turn, and Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up; there's also Yawn. Egg Moves offers Play Rough and Sing (and Wish though its HP is on the low side).

Despite its heavy hitting, I can't really see Komala making much waves aside as a Rapid Spinner. Had it gotten Rest/Sleep Talk/Snore then maybe it could have had something, but alas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)