Kartana Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kartana

Grass/Steel
Abilities: Beast Boost
HP: 59
Atk: 181
Def: 131
SpAtk: 59
SpDef: 31
Spe: 109

Level Up

L1 - Sacred Sword
L1 - Defog
L1 - Vacuum Wave
L1 - Air Cutter
L1 - Fury Cutter
L1 - Cut
L7 - False Swipe
L13 - Razor Leaf
L19 - Synthesis
L23 - Aerial Ace
L29 - Laser Focus
L31 - Night Slash
L37 - Swords Dance
L43 - Leaf Blade
L47 - X-Scissor
L53 - Detect
L59 - Air Slash
L67 - Psycho Cut
L73 - Guillotine

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM54 - False Swipe
TM67 - Smart Strike
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide

New Moves

Laser Focus: The user concentrates intensely. The attack on the next turn always results in a critical hit. -- [Normal] --, Status.

Smart Strike: The user stabs the target with a sharp horn. This attack never misses. Always hits [Steel] 70 BP, Physical. So, yes it does learn a steel move.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing this pokemon needed was an auto crit buff. while its just shy of the 110 speed club, its amazing physical defense and absolutely disgusting attack power is more than enough to make most of the meta writhe in agony. And thanks to its ability, it gets a free +1 to its attack per kill, meaning it will never need to set up an SD ever.

I'm thinking
252 ATK/252+ Spe/4 HP
@ Choice Scarf
Smart Strike
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword/Psycho Cut
Night Slash

This ok, ok.

300 defense "without" investment, 461 Attack with neutral nature and 348 Speed. 10 resistances (one of them is a inmunity), inmune to sleep via Spore, also inmune to Leech Seed, etcetera. Learns Swords Dance, and everytime it kills an enemy his attack raises by 1 level (his ability functions as moxie for him). Unless you think a 348 Speed Sweeper of this caliber, only weak to priority mach punch from the physical side isn't viable late game for some reason, this thing is a monster.

What is with all of these wacky stat distributions on UBs, lol.

This one looks pretty cool. Its physical bulk is actually pretty nice (not much less bulky than an offensive Jirachi), and that Attack stat is just disgusting. Good thing it doesn't seem to have any moves above 90 BP, but when it's free to hold a Life Orb (unlike Mega Heracross and friends), that's pretty cold comfort. Base 109 Spe should give it room to sweep balanced teams, although it still fall short of some important benchmarks. Probably still more than enough to get it banned, though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The last thing this pokemon needed was an auto crit buff. while its just shy of the 110 speed club, its amazing physical defense and absolutely disgusting attack power is more than enough to make most of the meta writhe in agony. And thanks to its ability, it gets a free +1 to its attack per kill, meaning it will never need to set up an SD ever.

I'm thinking
252 ATK/252+ Spe/4 HP
@ Choice Scarf
Smart Strike
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword/Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Fuck Scarf, give it a Band and 6-0 fat teams with this thing.

I totally forgot about Beast Boost. This thing is so busted.

BPs are piss-weak, actually; and none of the semi-decent moves available has good neutral coverage, I think the insane ATK-stat is misleading in terms of usability.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
This is the Edgelord, right? (These seriously need pictures.)

Weird typing for something so offensively-inclined but it looks promising (if not broken).
I dont see how something with 181 attack, 109 speed, 131 defense and such strong defensive typing could ever been allowed in OU. It has just enough movepool to work.

Kartana @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Jolly
252 attack / 252 speed
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance / Night Slash

The only thing that can really wall this is Charizard Y / Moltres / Zapdos (they need to have a lot of defensive investment to stand up to CB nightslash, though this is nothing new for the two gen 1 legendaries). Thundurus and Volcarona prove good switch ins unless they catch CB night slash! Aegislash does wall the Swords Dance variant, but night slash is a death sentence and 181 attack doesnt really need Swords Dance. Consider that literally every other switch in is either weak to or is demolished by stealth rock too.

I say, straight to ubers.

BPs are piss-weak, actually; and none of the semi-decent moves available has good neutral coverage, I think the insane ATK-stat is misleading in terms of usability.
Leaf Blade's 90 power is plenty.

It has more attack than deoxys A
It has 109 speed which is a fucking great speed tier
It has good typing and actually decent physical bulk
IT HAS MOXIE

Yeah, MAYBE people are overrating the attack, but you can't deny how busted this thing is on the whole.

This thing looks scary as heck. With swords dance could see it 6-0 sometimes. Great defensive typing and moxie clone its time to run for the hills. Faster pokemon can still beat it to the punch and Vacuum wave. This thing with a Z-move could practically guarantee that it knocks out the opposing pokemon and boosts its already insane attack for a snowball effect.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What the heck is this thing doing with Vacuum Wave? Out off all the priority moves, it gets the only Special one - not named Water Shuriken. With 59 Sp. Atk and 181 Attack.

Oh well, I guess it is so that Sturdy/Sash users carrying Vacuum Wave themselves can't come in to ruin the day with their last remaining HP. Because as it turns out, almost all Ultra Beasts have a thoroughly crappy defensive stat on at least one side of the spectrum, and this is no exception (Celesteela is). 31 Sp.Def, that's the same as Spearow. Below such defensive powerhouses as Ralts, Skitty and Remoraid. Or exactly half as good as Farfetch'd, if you like.

This is my favorite ultra beast and I will be upset when it will be banned from OU, because its almost definitely getting banned early from sun and moon OU.

Insane attack, defense, and speed, one of the best defensive typings (Only one 2x and one 4x weaknesses), Swords Dance, and its very unique design make this easily in my top 5 (with Toxapex, Minior, Palossand, and Alolan Sandslash) new pokemon

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This thing has a chance to KO Primal Groudon with +2 LO Leaf Blade after SR. It might have some weird niche as an offensive Defog user in Ubers. Will struggle against Ho-Oh (that TM learnset is tiny), but Night Slash at least lets it get through Solgaleo and it would rip the standard ORAS stall build cleanly in two. Might give him a shot.

Likely too strong for OU which such ridiculous Attack, but it just barely misses the 110 Speed benchmark which might hurt a bit. That special bulk is complete trash too lol.

Wow. Get your Vacuum Waver out.
Well, it doesn't seem able to do anything against Charizard.
Actually, can anyone do some math on bulky Intimidate Arcanine switching into this? It seems to rely on brute forcing its way past fire types in general, so those with recovery like Charizard and Arcanine shouldn't have that much trouble taking even repeated hits, but I don't know how hard its coverage moves hit.

So this thing's level up movepool includes, like, almost if not all sword or cut-related moves... and Detect, Synthesis, and Defog. Strange move choices.

Still, this thing is disgusting. Mega Rayquaza already showed us what can happen if you let a mon with at least 180 in an attacking stat (and Attack-boosting moves) and actual bulk have boosting items equipped to it. Its speed tier is extremely solid, and it has a pseudo-Moxie.

Someone feeling like having Hoopa-Unbound back in OU? Because I'd rather have that thing. Really.

It doesn't take up a mega slot
Can actually take advantage of its typing with its physical bulk.
Higher attack stat.
Actually, despite Kartana's higher Atk stat, M-Luke's Adaptability and higher BP moves makes it the harder-hitter out of the two of them:

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fighting: 244-288 (64 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fighting: 162-192 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

However, with Beast Boost (aka Moxie) taken into account (and, like previously mentioned, its physical bulk and typing, enabling it to withstand most priority moves), Kartana is looking to be a terrifying late-game sweeper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)