Kangaskhan (Revamp)

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Kangaskhan's decent base 100 Speed tier combined with a wide movepool that gives it the ability to run a multitude of sets allows it to put pressure on offensive and defensive teams alike. Because of this, it has the ability to easily influence matchup at the cost of coverage, an issue that should be addressed when building with it. Its ability, Parental Bond, has the added benefit of effectively giving Kangaskhan a Choice Band without locking it into a move. However, Kangaskhan has a relatively low base Attack stat for a Mega Evolution and struggles to break through common walls.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Return / Body Slam
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Power-Up Punch / Seismic Toss
item: Kangaskhanite
ability: Parental Bond
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out is mandatory to ensure a safe Mega Evolution and deals decent damage with STAB and Parental Bond, being able to get vital chip damage on threats. Return is the main STAB move with 102 Base Power and can 2HKO or OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it after a bit of prior damage. Alternatively, Body Slam can be used in this slot for its 51% paralysis chance, allowing Kangaskhan to muscle through some of its defensive checks, such as support Arceus formes. Crunch is the preferred option in the third slot, hitting the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks, such as Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, Mega Gengar, and Lugia; it also comes with a nifty 36% chance to lower the target's Defense. Power-Up Punch in the last slot allows Kangaskhan to break through defensive walls that rely on status and longevity to deal with it, such as Skarmory and support Arceus, and avoid becoming setup fodder for Mega Salamence switching in after a boost. Another option for the last slot is Seismic Toss, which can surprise opposing Pokemon, 2HKOing Skarmory and Ferrothorn as they switch in, and should be used if running Body Slam as well. Nevertheless, Mega Kangaskhan is by no means limited to these move options, given its expansive movepool. Double-Edge can be run as the primary STAB attack for more immediate power at the cost of longevity. Ice Punch can be run in the third slot, allowing Kangaskhan to fish for freezes on Lugia while retaining coverage on Giratina-O and not allowing Kangaskhan to become setup bait for Mega Salamence. However, it should not be run simultaneously with Crunch due to their redundancy. Earthquake, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch are all additional options for the fourth moveslot. Earthquake can be used to hit the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, notably Tyranitar, Klefki, and Arceus-Rock, as well as being Kangaskhan's best option to hit Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. Low Kick OHKOes Dialga and prevents Extreme Killer Arceus from setting up. Finally, Sucker Punch is notable for its effectiveness against offense and use as a secondary form of priority to pick off weakened attackers.

Set Details
========

Scrappy is the preferred ability pre-Mega Evolution, allowing Kangaskhan to hit Ghost-types with its STAB attacks. Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature allows Kangaskhan to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed most support Arceus formes. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed Excadrill, Rayquaza, and maximum Speed Ho-Oh. Finally, 80 EVs can be shifted from Speed to Defense to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Life Orb Extreme Killer's +2 Extreme Speed, as well as an unboosted Precipice Blades from maximum Attack Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock, while still outspeeding neutral base 90s.

Usage Tips
========

With access to Fake Out, Kangaskhan can be used to antilead against many offensive teams that utilize a suicide lead. Fake Out can also be used repeatedly to wear down setup sweepers and can let Mega Kangaskhan perform as a last-resort check to the likes of Xerneas by switching out and back in after you sacrifice something. Body Slam in conjunction with Seismic Toss can allow Mega Kangaskhan to deal with the support Arceus formes that otherwise easily check it by first paralyzing them and then spamming Seismic Toss. However, if the opponent has Pokemon that could deal recoil damage, such as Skamory and Ferrothorn, using Seismic Toss first is usually the best option. Crunch should be used if expecting a switch into a Ghost-type and Ice Punch can be used to fish for freezes on Lugia. If running Power-Up Punch, boost on something that does not threaten Mega Kangaskhan, such as non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory, or on a predicted switch. As Kangaskhan's bulk is nothing impressive, avoid switching it in directly on attacks, but keep in mind it can survive most unboosted neutrally effective moves from full. Try to bring it in via a double switch or when you expect your opponent to go for a recovery or utility move. Keep it away from status, as burn and paralysis make it effectively useless and poison greatly reduces its longevity and makes using Fake Out a liability.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with the ability to set Toxic Spikes, such as Cloyster and Scolipede, make great partners, as Kangaskhan can rack up residual poison damage with Fake Out. Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Darkrai are notable for their ability to pressure the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks and are especially helpful if it is not carrying Crunch. Additionally, Pokemon to break through or cripple bulky walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and support Arceus formes, such as Lava Plume Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Hex users, are greatly appreciated. However, Body Slam / Seismic Toss variants can break through the aforementioned walls as well, while Fire Punch roasts specially defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn. If Mega Kangaskhan is not carrying Earthquake or Low Kick, Pokemon to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Landorus-T, make good partners. Also helpful are Pokemon that deal with Kangaskhan's offensive answers, such as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ground, and Xerneas.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wish support set can be run with Body Slam and Seismic Toss to increase longevity, making it easier to break through walls. Mud-Slap and Rest can also be run to ease playing against defensive teams that rely on status. Fire Punch is an option on the main set to OHKO Ferrothorn while retaining coverage on Skarmory and Klefki. Rock Tomb or Bulldoze can be used to discourage setup sweepers that rely on boosting their Speed, such as Xerneas and Mega Salamence.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Gengar**: With an immunity to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks and access to Will-O-Wisp, Mega Gengar can trap it and either cripple it with Will-O-Wisp in order to avoid the KO from Crunch or deal massive damage with Focus Blast.

**Ghost-types**: Mega Sableye is immune to Fighting and Normal coverage moves, and with its high physical bulk it can switch into any of Kangaskhan's attacks and status it. Giratina-O can take any hit and either cripple Mega Kangaskhan with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp or phaze it with Dragon Tail, although it needs to watch out for Crunch and Ice Punch. Arceus-Ghost can switch into anything barring Crunch and burn Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Arceus Formes**: Support Arceus variants can counter all Kangaskhan sets barring Power-Up Punch or Body Slam / Seismic Toss sets, being able to switch into its unboosted STAB attacks and wear it down with status.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario resists all of Kangaskhan's priority and can outspeed it and OHKO in return.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can take any of Mega Kangaskhan's hits and completely walls non-Seismic Toss / Fire Punch sets.

**Bulky Rock- and Steel-types**: Rock-types, such as Arceus-Rock and Tyranitar, can switch into any hit except Earthquake or Low Kick and either inflict Kangaskhan with paralysis or burn or use a utility move such as Defog or Stealth Rock. Additionally, Steel-types, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take any hit and poison Kangaskhan or set entry hazards; however, they have to beware of sets carrying Fire Punch.

Last edited:

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here since I am not QC, but since Happiness is automatically set to max in the teambuilder, and for the sake of being consistent with every other analysis, I think Return should be slashed instead of Frustration.

it's very rare for any mon in ubers to carry return, as frustration allows you to set up on opposing ditto. if other analyses use return it should be changed to frustration since there is no benefit to using the former over the latter. also if you use frustration in the teambuilder it automatically sets the happiness to 0.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My preference on the slashing would be.

move 2: Crunch
move 3: Frustration / Double-Edge
move 4: Earthquake / Power Up Punch / Seismic Toss

Moves mentions: Body Slam, Sucker Punch, Ice Punch

Crunch unslashed because smacking incoming Ghosts and fishing for Def drops is pretty important. The second coverage is basically how you want to hit Steels and Rocks. EQ has the benefit of higher immediate power and also nabs coverage on P Don and Mega Diancie. PuP has value because it can be used to boost on a switch (excluding ghosts but you have Crunch for that) and when boosted will still cover rocks / steels. EQ vs PuP trades some coverage against niche steels as well, but these aren't as big a deal. I feel that Sucker Punch and Ice Punch aren't all that great on Kanga (mostly because they're not very good at breaking, which how Kanga should be used or overlap with other moves), but certain builds may require them.

Seismic Toss might be worth looking into. It 2HKOs Mega Salamence, 2HKOs 252 HP P Don with SR (does less than EQ though), and is the only option that will 2HKO Skarmory. Against pretty much every other Steel it's outclassed by Crunch or EQ, but it consolidates hitting Mence, P Don, and Steels in a single slot. It also eases prediction by ensuring that you dent 200 flat so long as the opponent doesn't switch into a Ghost.

We'll see if the rest of QC somewhat agrees with this slashing.

Fire Punch and Low Kick probably deserve a mention somewhere. Fire Punch allows Kangaskhan to pressure every niche steel and only really loses coverage against Rockceus. Low Kick loses coverage against Klefki but OHKOs Dialga and EKiller, which makes Kangakhan very effective at punishing most Dialga offenses.

Ice Punch is good enough to be slashed with Crunch since most of their targets are the same anyway. Trading Arc-Ghost coverage to stop Mence from setting up is extremely useful for some teams and the chance to freeze still punishes MSab and Lugia the way a defense drop would.

moved double edge and sucker punch to oo, didn't feel sucker was as useful upon reflection since gar can wisp, lati can defog, mence can roost, etc. moved double edge because rocky helmet fairly common on yveltal/skarm and ferro is rising in usage. shifted body slam to oo and slashed toss with frustration since it's more effective against helmet/iron barbs and is able to muscle through some of kang's common checks. also put fire punch and low kick in oo. keeping ice punch since mence is far more common than ghostceus. lmk if there's something else that should be changed, kang's coverage options are pretty wide so open to suggestions

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
it's very rare for any mon in ubers to carry return, as frustration allows you to set up on opposing ditto. if other analyses use return it should be changed to frustration since there is no benefit to using the former over the latter. also if you use frustration in the teambuilder it automatically sets the happiness to 0.
Ditto can just run 0 happiness... Frustration isn't some foolproof ditto counter. And Ditto is not particularly common at higher levels, so when you do see it I'd argue at least half the time it'll have no happiness specifically for people who think Frustration is the magic Ditto counter. It's just a teambuilder version of a 50/50 and Return makes analyses more consistent.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
ye the c&c standard is return, there's no objective benefit to running one over the other because if everything runs frustration people will just run 0 happiness ditto, so making a distinction between the two is pointless and it's just cleaner to make Return the default. Has come up before too

ok, I changed frustration to return but mentioned the former under Moves since they're basically the same thing and most ditto i've seen do run max happiness b/c it's the default

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Low Kick I feel should be up in moves. One of the main reasons I use Kanga at all is it's ability vs offensive teams, which Ekiller is almost always found on, and Low Kick punishes offense way more than Options like Seismic Toss or Earthquake will (baring in mind that Groudon is not OHKOd by EQ no matter what the spread, and offensive spreads of Groudon's will be 2hkod by return anyway). I dont feel like Kangaskhan works as well as a wallbreaker compared to how it does as an Anti-Offense mon, and the analysis should reflect that. Or in other words, I disagree with what Minority said, the best results from Kanga are not as a breaker, and the effectiveness of it's coverage from breaking things is not as important as its ability to hit offensive staples (Ie: Mence, Dialga, Ekiller). Case in point, I dont think Crunch is necessary at all, and actually prefer Ice Punch over it to prevent Mence from getting free setup, and I'd not bother mentioning Power Up Punch at all, seeing as it is the work of an Ekiller without Priority or speed, with worse bulk.

Also a possible mention, 80 defense EVs to guarantee that Kanga lives a +2 Life Orb Jolly Espeed from full.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kanga has innate hostility to offense since it's always running Fake Out, but a set of Low Kick / Ice Punch isn't going anywhere against decent BOs and balances... Physical backbones of these teams come in on Kanga with nothing to fear whereas moves like Crunch and PuP can give you headway. All you're doing is overcompensating the HO archetype, which might be fine if you're doing a CT for a specific tour match, but I don't consider this acceptable for an analysis. Just don't get why you'd fervently worsen your matchup against the most consistent teams in the tier.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think it's worth mentioning Body Slam works best alongside Seismic Toss since the combination of those two moves can easily let you overwhelm defensive Arceus formes.

I think dice likes BSlam/SToss/Crunch as the general best coverage so I'll let him weigh in more on it.

C&C needs re-ordered / reworked as i don't think Mega Lucario of all things is the #1 Kang counter. Fix that depending on how the slashing ends up, as some checks will be less effective if the set is a balance-breaker style of set.

One thing to stress is that Kang has a LOT of options and can influence its matchups at the cost of something if it wants to. 80 Defense EVs dodges the OHKO from +2 Jolly LO / 6.3% vs Adamant Silk Espeed (as mentioned earlier) and unboosted Precipice Blades from Primal Groudon after SR which is worth considering as an alternative spread (Can be dropped from Speed as 176 Adamant is still faster than neutral 90s, or potentially Attack but may influence calcs, less of an issue for Slam/Toss sets)

Minority and I took comments from Hack/dice and came up with this slashing:

move 2: Crunch
move 3: Power-Up Punch / Seismic Toss
move 4: Return / Body Slam

Other moves:
  • EQ (PuP + EQ beats Ferrothorn, coverage or better damage vs Pdon/Steels/Rocks, +2 damage from PuP covers most EQ targets)
  • Low Kick (Good against Dialga offense)
  • Ice Punch (Hits Mence/Gira-O, can fish freezes vs Lugia and other switch-ins)
  • Sucker Punch (can be more effective against HO and fast mons)
  • Double-Edge (Damage vs Mence is good if you don't have other moves to hit it, but longevity is ass)
OO: Wish + RestTalk seems impossible to make it work... Wish should be here but not used with RestTalk - better with Slam/Toss imo. Fire Punch is fine here.

Add the changes and I can stamp.

Might wanna fix the rest of the skeleton to compensate for the new changes, also Usage Tips and Team Options will need a good amount of writing/elaboration to properly tell the reader what to watch for and do when running specific moves, stuff like "using x means x can do x in this matchup" or "x move Kanga works best with x", that kinda thing.

QC 1/3

hmm this is my first post in the forums (so pls forgive me for any mistakes) but i would put rock tomb in oo. it checks geomancy xern and hooh. also it controls speed and prevents likes of ekiller arceus from sweeping. idk, its just my opinion tho :toast:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Bulldoze / Rock Tomb are fine in bottom of OO. Double Edge should be in moves not OO. Power Up Punch shouldn't be in OO since it's on the main set. Descriptions on moves are lacking but let's see what this looks like written up.

QC: 2/3

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Small nitpicks:
- Maybe give the set a more generic name? We tend to not use eponymous names any more, and it's not "Into Darkness" is a name that most people are even familiar with - something like "Physical Attacker" would be fine
- Add Mud Slap to OO pls, it is a hilarious move

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
amcheck

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Kangaskhan's decent base 100 speed tier, combined with a wide movepool, which gives it the ability to run a multitude of sets, allows it to put pressure on offensive and defensive teams alike. Because of this, it has the ability to easily influence matchup at the cost of coverage, an issue that should be addressed when building with it. Its Ability, Parental Bond, has the added benefit of effectively giving Kangaskhan a Choice Band without locking it into a move. However, Kangaskhan has a relatively low base Attack stat for a Mega Evolution,(-comma) and struggles to break through common walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out is mandatory to ensure a safe Mega Evolution, and deals decent damage with STAB and Parental Bond, being able to get vital chip damage on threats. Return is the main STAB with a 102 base power,(-comma) and can 2HKO or OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it after a bit of prior damage. Frustration can also be used, having the same damage output while providing a better matchup against most Ditto. Alternatively, Body Slam can be used in this slot for its 51% paralysis chance, allowing it Kangaskhan to muscle through some of its defensive checks, such as support Arceus formes. Crunch is the preferred option in the third slot, hitting the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STABs, such as Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, Mega Gengar, and Lugia; it also comes with a nifty 36% chance to lower the opponent's Defense. Power-Up Punch in the last slot allows Kangaskhan to break through defensive walls that rely on status and longevity to deal with it, such as Skarmory and support Arceus, and avoid becoming setup fodder for Mega Salamence switching in after a boost. Another option for the last slot is Seismic Toss, which can surprise opponents, 2HKOing Skarmory and Ferrothorn upon switchin, and should be used if running Body Slam as well. Nevertheless, Mega Kangaskhan is by no means limited to these move options, given its expansive movepool. Double Edge can be run as the primary STAB for more immediate power at the cost of longevity. Ice Punch can be run in the third slot, allowing Kangaskhan to fish for freezes on Lugia while retaining coverage on Giratina-O and not allowing Kangaskhan to become setup bait for Mega Salamence. However, it should not be run simultaneously with Crunch due to their redundancy. Earthquake, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch are all additional options for the fourth moveslot. Earthquake can be used to hit the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, notably Tyranitar, Klefki, and Arceus-Rock, as well as being Kangaskhan's best option to hit Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. Low Kick OHKOs OHKOes Dialga and prevents Extreme Killer Arceus from setting up. Finally, Sucker Punch is notable for its effectiveness against offense and use used as a secondary form of priority to pick off weakened attackers.

Set Details
========

Scrappy is the preferred Ability pre-Mega Evolution, allowing Kangaskhan to hit Ghost-types with its STABs. Max Attack investment with an Adamant Nature allows Kangaskhan to hit as hard as possible, whlie while max Speed investment allows it to outspeed most support Arceus. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed Excadrill, Rayquaza, and max Speed Ho-Oh. Finally, 80 EVs can be shifted from Speed to Defense to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Life Orb Extreme Killer's +2 Extreme Speed, as well as an unboosted Precipice Blades from max Attack Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock, while still outspeeding neutral Base 90s.

Usage Tips
========

With access to Fake Out, Kangaskhan can be used to antilead against many offensive teams that utilize a suicide lead. Fake Out can also be used repeatedly to wear down setup sweepers, and can be used as a last resort check to the likes of Xerneas by switching out and back in after sacrificing something. Body Slam in conjunction with Seismic Toss can deal with the support Arceus formes that otherwise easily check Kangaskhan, by first paralyzing them and then spamming Seismic Toss. However, if the opponent has Pokemon that could cause deal recoil damage, such as Skamory and Ferrothorn, using Seismic Toss first is usually the best option. Crunch should be used if expecting a switch into a Ghost-type,(-comma) and can be used to fish for freezes on Lugia did you mean to mention ice punch?. If running Power-Up Punch, boost on something that does not threaten it, such as non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory, or on a predicted switch. As Kangaskhan's bulk is nothing impressive, avoid switching it in directly on attacks, but keep in mind it can survive most non-boosted neutrally effective moves from full. Try to bring it in via a double switch, or when you expect your opponent to go for a recovery or utility move. Keep it away from status, as burn and paralysis make it effectively useless and poison greatly reduces its longevity and makes using Fake Out a liability.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with the ability to set Toxic Spikes, such as Cloyster and Scolipede, make great partners, as Kangaskhan can rack up residual poison damage with Fake Out. Dark-types, such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Darkrai are notable for their ability to pressure the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STABs,(-comma) and are especially helpful if it is not carrying Crunch. Additionally, Pokemon to break through or cripple bulky walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and support Arceus formes, such as Lava Plume Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Hex users, are greatly appreciated. However, Body Slam / Seismic Toss variants can break through the aforementioned walls as well, while Fire Punch roasts specially defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn. If not carrying Earthquake or Low Kick, Pokemon to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Landorus-T make good parters partners. Also helpful are Pokemon that deal with Kangaskhan's offensive answers, such as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ground, and Xerneas.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wish support set can be run with Body Slam and Seismic Toss to increase longevity, making it easier to break through walls. Mud Slap and Rest can also be run to ease playing against defensive teams that rely on status. Fire Punch is an option on the main set to OHKO Ferrothorn,(-comma) while retaining coverage on Skarmory and Klefki. Rock Tomb or Bulldoze can be used to discourage setup sweepers that rely on boosting their Speed, such as Xerneas and Mega Salamence.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Gengar**: With an immunity to Kangaskhan's STABs and access to Will-O-Wisp, Mega Gengar can trap it and either cripple it with Will-O-Wisp in order to avoid the KO from Crunch or deal massive damage with Focus Blast.

**Ghost-types**: Mega Sableye is immune to Fighting and Normal coverage moves, and with its high physical bulk can switch into any of Kangaskhan's attacks and status it. Giratina-O can take any hit and either cripple it with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp or phaze it out with Dragon Tail, although it needs to watch out for Crunch and Ice Punch. Arceus-Ghost can switch into anything barring Crunch and burn Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Arceus Formes**: Support Arceus variants can counter all Kangaskhan sets barring Power-Up Punch or Body Slam / Seismic Toss sets, being able to switch into its unboosted STABs and wear it down with status.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario reists resists all of Kangaskhan's priority and can outspeed it and OHKO in return.

**Skarmory**: can take any of kang's Kangaskhan's hits and completely walls non seismic toss/fire punch Seismic Toss/Fire Punch sets

**Bulky Rock- and Steel-types**: Rock-types, such as Arceus-(+hyphen)Rock and Tyranitar, can switch into any hit except Earthquake or Low Kick and either status Kangaskhan with paralysis or burn or use a utility move such as Defog or Stealth Rock. Additionally, Steel-types, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take any hit and poison Kangaskhan or set hazards; however,(+comma) they have to beware of sets carrying Fire Punch.

Good work, stay sharp.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
my colours are add / fix and remove

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Mega Kangaskhan's decent base 100 Speed tier (RC) combined with a wide movepool (RC) which that gives it the ability to run a multitude of sets (RC) allows it to put pressure on offensive and defensive teams alike. Because of this, it has the ability to easily influence matchup at the cost of coverage, an issue that should be addressed when building with it. Its ability, Parental Bond, has the added benefit of effectively giving Kangaskhan a Choice Band without locking it into a move. However, Kangaskhan has a relatively low base Attack stat for a Mega Evolution,(-comma) and struggles to break through common walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out is mandatory to ensure a safe Mega Evolution (RC) and deals decent damage with STAB and Parental Bond, being able to get vital chip damage on threats. Return is the main STAB with a 102 base power,(-comma) and can 2HKO or OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it after a bit of prior damage. Frustration can also be used, having the same damage output while providing a better matchup against most Ditto. (standard is not to mention frustration at all, because of the reasons i provided earlier, same thing as speed creep which people do as well for finetuning purposes but analyses should stick to straightforward standards) Alternatively, Body Slam can be used in this slot for its 51% paralysis chance, allowing it Kangaskhan to muscle through some of its defensive checks, such as support Arceus formes. Crunch is the preferred option in the third slot, hitting the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks, such as Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, Mega Gengar, and Lugia; it also comes with a nifty 36% chance to lower the opponent's target's Defense. Power-Up Punch in the last slot allows Kangaskhan to break through defensive walls that rely on status and longevity to deal with it, such as Skarmory and support Arceus, and avoid becoming setup fodder for Mega Salamence switching in after a boost. Another option for the last slot is Seismic Toss, which can surprise opponents opposing Pokemon, 2HKOing Skarmory and Ferrothorn upon switchin as they switch in, and should be used if running Body Slam as well. Nevertheless, Mega Kangaskhan is by no means limited to these move options, given its expansive movepool. Double-Edge (AH) can be run as the primary STAB attack for more immediate power at the cost of longevity. Ice Punch can be run in the third slot, allowing Kangaskhan to fish for freezes on Lugia while retaining coverage on Giratina-O and not allowing Kangaskhan to become setup bait for Mega Salamence. However, it should not be run simultaneously with Crunch due to their redundancy. Earthquake, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch are all additional options for the fourth moveslot. Earthquake can be used to hit the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, notably Tyranitar, Klefki, and Arceus-Rock, as well as being Kangaskhan's best option to hit Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. Low Kick OHKOs OHKOes Dialga and prevents Extreme Killer Arceus from setting up. Finally, Sucker Punch is notable for its effectiveness against offense and use used ("use" is fine, as is "can be used") as a secondary form of priority to pick off weakened attackers.

Set Details
========

Scrappy is the preferred ability pre-Mega Evolution, allowing Kangaskhan to hit Ghost-types with its STAB attacks. Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant Nature allows Kangaskhan to hit as hard as possible, whlie while maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed most support Arceus formes. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed Excadrill, Rayquaza, and maximum Speed Ho-Oh. Finally, 80 EVs can be shifted from Speed to Defense to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Life Orb Extreme Killer's +2 Extreme Speed, as well as an unboosted Precipice Blades from maximum Attack Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock, while still outspeeding neutral base 90s.

Usage Tips
========

With access to Fake Out, Kangaskhan can be used to antilead against many offensive teams that utilize a suicide lead. (or "antilead many suicide leads on offensive teams") Fake Out can also be used repeatedly to wear down setup sweepers (RC) and can be used let Mega Kangaskhan perform as a last-resort (AH) check to the likes of Xerneas by switching out and back in after sacrificing you sacrifice something. Body Slam in conjunction with Seismic Toss can allow Mega Kangaskhan to deal with the support Arceus formes that otherwise easily check Kangaskhan it (RC) by first paralyzing them and then spamming Seismic Toss. However, if the opponent has Pokemon that could cause deal recoil damage, such as Skamory and Ferrothorn, using Seismic Toss first is usually the best option. Crunch should be used if expecting a switch into a Ghost-type,(-comma) and can be used to fish for freezes on Lugia did you mean to mention ice punch?. If running Power-Up Punch, boost on something that does not threaten it Mega Kangaskhan, such as non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory, or on a predicted switch. As Kangaskhan's bulk is nothing impressive, avoid switching it in directly on attacks, but keep in mind it can survive most non-boosted neutrally effective moves from full. Try to bring it in via a double switch (RC) or when you expect your opponent to go for a recovery or utility move. Keep it away from status, as burn and paralysis make it effectively useless and poison greatly reduces its longevity and makes using Fake Out a liability.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with the ability to set Toxic Spikes, such as Cloyster and Scolipede, make great partners, as Kangaskhan can rack up residual poison damage with Fake Out. Dark-types (RC) such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Darkrai are notable for their ability to pressure the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks,(-comma) and are especially helpful if it is not carrying Crunch. Additionally, Pokemon to break through or cripple bulky walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and support Arceus formes, such as Lava Plume Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Hex users, are greatly appreciated. However, Body Slam / Seismic Toss variants can break through the aforementioned walls as well, while Fire Punch roasts specially defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn. If Mega Kangaskhan is not carrying Earthquake or Low Kick, Pokemon to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Landorus-T make good parters partners. Also helpful are Pokemon that deal with Kangaskhan's offensive answers, such as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ground, and Xerneas.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wish support set can be run with Body Slam and Seismic Toss to increase longevity, making it easier to break through walls. Mud Slap and Rest can also be run to ease playing against defensive teams that rely on status. Fire Punch is an option on the main set to OHKO Ferrothorn,(-comma) while retaining coverage on Skarmory and Klefki. Rock Tomb or Bulldoze can be used to discourage setup sweepers that rely on boosting their Speed, such as Xerneas and Mega Salamence.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Gengar**: With an immunity to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks and access to Will-O-Wisp, Mega Gengar can trap it and either cripple it with Will-O-Wisp in order to avoid the KO from Crunch or deal massive damage with Focus Blast.

**Ghost-types**: Mega Sableye is immune to Fighting and Normal coverage moves, and with its high physical bulk it can switch into any of Kangaskhan's attacks and status it. Giratina-O can take any hit and either cripple it Mega Kangaskhan with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp or phaze it out with Dragon Tail, although it needs to watch out for Crunch and Ice Punch. Arceus-Ghost can switch into anything barring Crunch and burn Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Defensive Arceus Formes**: Support Arceus variants can counter all Kangaskhan sets barring Power-Up Punch or Body Slam / Seismic Toss sets, being able to switch into its unboosted STAB attacks and wear it down with status.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario reists resists all of Kangaskhan's priority and can outspeed it and OHKO in return.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can take any of kang's Kangaskhan's hits and completely walls non- seismic toss/fire punch Seismic Toss/Fire Punch sets. (AP, add hyphen after non)

**Bulky Rock- and Steel-types**: Rock-types, such as Arceus-(+hyphen)Rock and Tyranitar, can switch into any hit except Earthquake or Low Kick and either status inflict Kangaskhan with paralysis or burn or use a utility move such as Defog or Stealth Rock. Additionally, Steel-types, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take any hit and poison Kangaskhan or set entry hazards; however,(+comma) they have to beware of sets carrying Fire Punch.

amcheck over here!

add
remove
comments

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Kangaskhan's decent base 100 speed tier, combined with a wide movepool, which gives it the ability to run a multitude of sets (this seems a bit off to me, considering there's actually only one set listed and OO is sparse), allows it to put pressure on offensive and defensive teams alike. Because of Due to this, it Mega Kangaskhan has the ability to easily influence matchup at the cost of coverage, an issue that should be addressed when building with it. Its Ability ability, Parental Bond, has the added benefit of effectively giving Kangaskhan a Choice Band without locking it into a move. However, Kangaskhan has a relatively low base Attack for a Mega Evolution, and struggles to break through common walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out is mandatory to ensure a safe Mega Evolution, (remove comma) and deals decent damage with STAB and Parental Bond, being able to get vital chip damage on threats. Return is the main STAB with a 102 base power, and can 2HKO or OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it after a bit of prior damage. Frustration can also be used, having the same damage output while providing a better matchup against most Ditto. Alternatively, Body Slam can be used in this slot for its 51% paralysis chance, allowing it Kangaskhan to muscle through some of its defensive checks, such as support Arceus formes. Crunch is the preferred option in the third slot, hitting the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STABs moves, such as Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, Mega Gengar, and Lugia; it also comes with a nifty 36% chance to lower the opponent's foe's Defense. Power-Up Punch in the last slot allows Kangaskhan to break through defensive walls that rely on status and longevity to deal with it, such as Skarmory and support Arceus, and avoid becoming setup fodder for Mega Salamence switching in after a boost. Another option for the last slot is Seismic Toss, which can surprise opponents, 2HKOing Skarmory and Ferrothorn upon switchin, and should be used if running Body Slam as well. Nevertheless, Mega Kangaskhan is by no means limited to these move options, given its expansive movepool. Double Edge can be run as the primary STAB move for more immediate power at the cost of longevity. Ice Punch can be run in the third slot, allowing Kangaskhan to fish for freezes on Lugia while retaining coverage on Giratina-O and not allowing Kangaskhan to become setup bait for Mega Salamence. However, it should not be run simultaneously with Crunch due to their redundancy. Earthquake, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch are all additional options for the fourth moveslot. Earthquake can be used to hit the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, notably Tyranitar, Klefki, and Arceus-Rock, as well as being Kangaskhan's best option to hit Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. Low Kick OHKOs OHKOes Dialga and prevents Extreme Killer Arceus from setting up. Finally, Sucker Punch is notable for its effectiveness against offense and can be used as a secondary form of priority to pick off weakened attackers.

Set Details
========

Scrappy is the preferred ability pre-Mega Evolution, allowing Kangaskhan to hit Ghost-types with its STAB attacks. Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant Nature nature allows Kangaskhan to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed most support Arceus formes. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed Excadrill, Rayquaza, and maximum Speed Ho-Oh. Finally, 80 EVs can be shifted from Speed to Defense to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Life Orb Extreme Killer's +2 Extreme Speed, as well as an unboosted Precipice Blades from maximum Attack Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock, while still outspeeding neutral base 90s.

Usage Tips
========

With access to Fake Out, Kangaskhan can be used to antilead against many offensive teams that utilize a suicide lead. Fake Out can also be used repeatedly to wear down setup sweepers and can let Mega Kangaskhan perform as a last-resort check to the likes of Xerneas by switching out and back in after you sacrifice something a Pokemon. Body Slam in conjunction with Seismic Toss can allow Mega Kangaskhan to deal with the support Arceus formes that otherwise easily check it by first paralyzing them and then spamming Seismic Toss. However, if the opponent has Pokemon that could deal recoil damage, such as Skamory and Ferrothorn, using Seismic Toss first is usually the best option. Crunch should be used if expecting a switch into a Ghost-type and Ice Punch can be used to fish for freezes on Lugia. If running Power-Up Punch, boost on something that does not threaten Mega Kangaskhan, such as non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory, or on a predicted switch. As Kangaskhan's bulk is nothing impressive, avoid switching it in directly on attacks, but keep in mind it can survive most non-boosted neutrally effective moves from full. Try to bring it in via a double switch or when you expect your opponent to go for a recovery or utility move. Keep it away from status, as burn and paralysis make it effectively useless and poison greatly reduces its longevity and makes using Fake Out a liability.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with the ability to set Toxic Spikes, such as Cloyster and Scolipede, make great partners, as Kangaskhan can rack up residual poison damage with Fake Out. Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Darkrai are notable for their ability to pressure the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks and are especially helpful if it is not carrying Crunch. Additionally, Pokemon to break through or cripple bulky walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and support Arceus formes, such as Lava Plume Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Hex users, are greatly appreciated. However, Body Slam / Seismic Toss variants can break through the aforementioned walls as well, while Fire Punch roasts specially defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn. If Mega Kangaskhan is not carrying Earthquake or Low Kick, Pokemon to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Landorus-T make good partners. Also helpful are Pokemon that deal with Kangaskhan's offensive answers, (remove comma) such as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ground, and Xerneas. (remove period) are helpful as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wish support set can be run with Body Slam and Seismic Toss to increase longevity, making it easier to break through walls. Mud Slap and Rest can also be run to ease playing against defensive teams that rely on status. Fire Punch is an option on the main set to OHKO Ferrothorn while retaining coverage on Skarmory and Klefki. Rock Tomb or Bulldoze can be used to discourage setup sweepers that rely on boosting their Speed, such as Xerneas and Mega Salamence.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Mega Sableye is immune to Fighting and Normal coverage moves, and with its high physical bulk it can switch into any of Kangaskhan's attacks and status it. Giratina-O can take any hit and either cripple Mega Kangaskhan with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp or phaze it with Dragon Tail, although it needs to watch out for Crunch and Ice Punch. Arceus-Ghost can switch into anything barring Crunch and burn Kangaskhan with Will-O-Wisp.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario resists all of Kangaskhan's priority and can outspeed it and OHKO in return.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can take any of Mega Kangaskhan's hits and completely walls non- Seismic Toss/Fire Punch sets.

**Bulky Rock- and Steel-types**: Rock-types, such as Arceus-Rock and Tyranitar, can switch into any hit except Earthquake or Low Kick and either inflict Kangaskhan with paralysis or burn or use a utility move such as Defog or Stealth Rock. Additionally, Steel-types, such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn, can take any hit and poison Kangaskhan or set entry hazards; however, they have to beware of sets carrying Fire Punch.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Mega Kangaskhan's decent base 100 Speed tier combined with a wide movepool that gives it the ability to run a multitude of sets allows it to put pressure on offensive and defensive teams alike. Because of this, it has the ability to easily influence matchup at the cost of coverage, an issue that should be addressed when building with it. Its ability, Parental Bond, has the added benefit of effectively giving Kangaskhan a Choice Band without locking it into a move. However, Kangaskhan has a relatively low base Attack stat for a Mega Evolution and struggles to break through common walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fake Out is mandatory to ensure a safe Mega Evolution and deals decent damage with STAB and Parental Bond, being able to get vital chip damage on threats. Return is the main STAB move with a 102 Base Power and can 2HKO or OHKO most Pokemon that do not resist it after a bit of prior damage. Alternatively, Body Slam can be used in this slot for its 51% paralysis chance, allowing Kangaskhan to muscle through some of its defensive checks, such as support Arceus formes. Crunch is the preferred option in the third slot, hitting the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks, such as Arceus-Ghost, Giratina-O, Mega Gengar, and Lugia; it also comes with a nifty 36% chance to lower the target's Defense. Power-Up Punch in the last slot allows Kangaskhan to break through defensive walls that rely on status and longevity to deal with it, such as Skarmory and support Arceus, and avoid becoming setup fodder for Mega Salamence switching in after a boost. Another option for the last slot is Seismic Toss, which can surprise opposing Pokemon, 2HKOing Skarmory and Ferrothorn as they switch in, and should be used if running Body Slam as well. Nevertheless, Mega Kangaskhan is by no means limited to these move options, given its expansive movepool. Double-Edge can be run as the primary STAB attack for more immediate power at the cost of longevity. Ice Punch can be run in the third slot, allowing Kangaskhan to fish for freezes on Lugia while retaining coverage on Giratina-O and not allowing Kangaskhan to become setup bait for Mega Salamence. However, it should not be run simultaneously with Crunch due to their redundancy. Earthquake, Low Kick, and Sucker Punch are all additional options for the fourth moveslot. Earthquake can be used to hit the Steel- and Rock-types that resist Return, notably Tyranitar, Klefki, and Arceus-Rock, as well as being Kangaskhan's best option to hit Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. Low Kick OHKOes Dialga and prevents Extreme Killer Arceus from setting up. Finally, Sucker Punch is notable for its effectiveness against offense and use as a secondary form of priority to pick off weakened attackers.

Set Details
========

Scrappy is the preferred ability pre-Mega Evolution, allowing Kangaskhan to hit Ghost-types with its STAB attacks. Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature allows Kangaskhan to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed most support Arceus formes. A Jolly nature can be used instead to outspeed Excadrill, Rayquaza, and maximum Speed Ho-Oh. Finally, 80 EVs can be shifted from Speed to Defense to avoid the OHKO from Jolly Life Orb Extreme Killer's +2 Extreme Speed, as well as an unboosted Precipice Blades from maximum Attack Primal Groudon after Stealth Rock, while still outspeeding neutral base 90s.

Usage Tips
========

With access to Fake Out, Kangaskhan can be used to antilead against many offensive teams that utilize a suicide lead. Fake Out can also be used repeatedly to wear down setup sweepers and can let Mega Kangaskhan perform as a last-resort check to the likes of Xerneas by switching out and back in after you sacrifice something. Body Slam in conjunction with Seismic Toss can allow Mega Kangaskhan to deal with the support Arceus formes that otherwise easily check it by first paralyzing them and then spamming Seismic Toss. However, if the opponent has Pokemon that could deal recoil damage, such as Skamory and Ferrothorn, using Seismic Toss first is usually the best option. Crunch should be used if expecting a switch into a Ghost-type and Ice Punch can be used to fish for freezes on Lugia. If running Power-Up Punch, boost on something that does not threaten Mega Kangaskhan, such as non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory, or on a predicted switch. As Kangaskhan's bulk is nothing impressive, avoid switching it in directly on attacks, but keep in mind it can survive most unboosted neutrally effective moves from full. Try to bring it in via a double switch or when you expect your opponent to go for a recovery or utility move. Keep it away from status, as burn and paralysis make it effectively useless and poison greatly reduces its longevity and makes using Fake Out a liability.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with the ability to set Toxic Spikes, such as Cloyster and Scolipede, make great partners, as Kangaskhan can rack up residual poison damage with Fake Out. Dark-types such as Arceus-Dark, Yveltal, and Darkrai are notable for their ability to pressure the Ghost-types that are immune to Kangaskhan's STAB attacks and are especially helpful if it is not carrying Crunch. Additionally, Pokemon to break through or cripple bulky walls such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and support Arceus formes, such as Lava Plume Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Hex users, are greatly appreciated. However, Body Slam / Seismic Toss variants can break through the aforementioned walls as well, while Fire Punch roasts specially defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn. If Mega Kangaskhan is not carrying Earthquake or Low Kick, Pokemon to deal with Rock- and Steel-types, such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, and Landorus-T, (AC) make good partners. Also helpful are Pokemon that deal with Kangaskhan's offensive answers, such as Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ground, and Xerneas.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wish support set can be run with Body Slam and Seismic Toss to increase longevity, making it easier to break through walls. Mud-Slap and Rest can also be run to ease playing against defensive teams that rely on status. Fire Punch is an option on the main set to OHKO Ferrothorn while retaining coverage on Skarmory and Klefki. Rock Tomb or Bulldoze can be used to discourage setup sweepers that rely on boosting their Speed, such as Xerneas and Mega Salamence.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Skarmory**: Skarmory can take any of Mega Kangaskhan's hits and completely walls non-Seismic Toss / Fire Punch sets.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)