Monotype Joules & Jolts - Webs HO Electric

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist

credits to bad username Moosical for the banner

Suh' everyone, HNBL here. I kinda wanted to try to make an electric team based around Z-Hypnosis Xurkitee and physical Tapu Koko, two very underused sets in Monotype. I felt that even though it may be unorthodox, Sticky Web Electric was the way to go, since it gives Xurkitree a chance of sweeping without having to worry too much about faster Choice Scarf users, which the Monotype metagame has plenty of. I first thought the lack of Rotom-Wash would make the team susceptible to Ground teams, but to my surprise, Galvantula and Xurkitree combined are very efficient against Ground teams. However, it did make the Dragon match-up quite hard, since I didn't have Alolan Golem and I was running physical Tapu Koko, meaning no Dazzling Gleam. But considering how Dragon isn't too common a type, this team felt like it would do good in the metagame, and it seems like it did.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Energy Ball

- Sticky Web

Lead Galvantula is the web setter of the team, and plays a crucial role in pulling off a Xurkitree sweep. Thunder is a pretty spammable move thanks to Compound Eyes, and can sometimes pull off a little it of that yellow magic which is always nice. Hidden Power Ice let's it hit common Ground-types like Gliscor, Landorus, and Garchomp while Energy Ball lets it hit the likes of Hippowdown, Seismitoad, and Lanturn.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge

- Brave Bird

- U-turn

- Volt Switch

Physical Tapu Koko was one of the mons that I wanted to build with. I does a good job of surprising common switchins like Chansey and Alolan Marowak, and a STAB Choice Banded Wild Charge in Electric Terrain coming off of that juicy Attack stat is enough to dent most mons, allowing for Xurkitree and Alolan Raichu to clean up later. It also does a great job of denting Alolan Muk and Mega Venusaur, two very big threats for Electric teams. U-turn allows it to pivot out of Electric-immune mons that may try to switch into it, hence preserving momentum without much worry.

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt

- Surf

- Psychic

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Alolan Raichu is a must have on any Electric team, thanks to its good coverage and phenomenal ability in Surge Surfer, allowing it to outspeed every unboosted mon and almost every boosted mon in the metagame, aside from things like Timid Rock Polish Mew and Unburden Hawlucha. A combination of Ice + Water coverage makes it a great revenge killer against Ground teams, while Psychic allows it to beat Poison teams after Alolan Muk and Nihilego are weakened.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt

- Volt Switch

- Flash Cannon

- Hidden Power [Fire]

I felt that Magnezone was necessary on the team, since the lack of Focus Blast on Alolan Raichu meant that the team was getting walled by things like Ferrothorn and Cradily. It also has the benefit of trapping and eliminating Choice locked Excadrill that decides to either Rapid Spin away hazards or Rock Slide on a suspected Zapdos switch-in. Choice Specs boosted Flash Cannon allows it to deal significant damage to Mega Venusaur as well. It also prevents the team from being swept by Choice Scarf Nihilego, which survives a Psychic from Alolan Raichu.

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis

- Tail Glow

- Thunderbolt

- Energy Ball

This was the second mon that I wanted to have on the team. Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree may seem counter-intuitive, since it has bad synergy with Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain. However, it serves as a decent set-up sweeper in the absence of terrain, and is not completely useless in terrain either, as a Thunderbolt coming off that juicy Special Attack is still gonna do quite a bit of damage to most neutral mons. Z-Hypnosis grants it an increase in speed by one stage and also put the opponent to sleep(most of the time, anyways), allowing for a sweep opportunity with Tail Glow. It is capable of outspeeding the likes of modest Surge Surfer Alolan Raichu, Swift Swim Mega Swampert, Shift Gear Magearna, Sand Rush Excadrill, Swift Swim Kingdra, and Rock Polish Mew after a Z-Hypnosis speed boost and after a Sticky Web speed decrease, preventing it from being revenge killed by some of the fastest mons in the metagame. I decided run Energy Ball instead of HP Ice since it is able to OHKO Excadrill after a Tail Glow.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 132 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch

- Roost

- Defog

- Heat Wave

Zapdos is the Ground-immunity of the team, and is a great switchin to things like Magearna and Mega Scizor. It is able to clear away annoying Stealth Rocks or Toxic Spikes in the event that my own Sticky Webs are unnecessary. 108 EVs in Speed allow it to outspeed the likes of Jolly Breloom and Bisharp and Timid Magearna. Heat Wave allows it to beat Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Excadrill Choice locked into Earthquake, while Volt Switch grants it a usually slow pivot into a teammate.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Sticky Web

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Volt Switch

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Sticky Web

Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Volt Switch

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-591477421 vs electric
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578715860 vs steel
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578996388 vs bug
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578993078 vs steel
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578991353 vs ground
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578957220 vs dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578703778 vs dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578700428 vs grass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-579084674 vs poison
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-578501342 vs electric

Shoutouts to the Monotype Room for being a nice place
The ladder for being an absolute memefest oml
terrors The Excadrill Quantum Tesseract Tyke for helping me test teams and having a friendly battle every now and then
The-Vale Not Zer0 Maskun529 Kyosuru Jets JoltsOfEnergy Catalystic AM Latios TheTacoMan cool dudes
A lot of people who I like to randomly meme with but can't remember off the top of my head
Monotype room auth are nice people if you don't do stupid shit
Monotype Discord is a nice place maybe idk​

Last edited:
Hi, cool team! I only have a small change.

I would replace Surf on Raichu with Focus Blast. Focus Blast 2HKOs Ferrothorn which is important since your only answer for it is Magnezone, and is guaranteed to kill Excadrill (Surf is a roll). You have enough grass coverage elsewhere to justify dropping Surf. Hope this helps :toast:

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Hi, cool team! I only have a small change.

I would replace Surf on Raichu with Focus Blast. Focus Blast 2HKOs Ferrothorn which is important since your only answer for it is Magnezone, and is guaranteed to kill Excadrill (Surf is a roll). You have enough grass coverage elsewhere to justify dropping Surf. Hope this helps :toast:
thanks! I originally had focus blast but then surf worked in a few battles so i switched it to that and it just kinda stuck, but it does look like focus blast is better in the long run.

Reactions: 6ti
tfw he calls Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree an underused set despite it being one of its best sets

But in all seriousness, it looks like a pretty good team that has definitely seen some success. My only slight suggestion in particular would possibly be Thundurus>Zapdos, since Thundurus still offers the Ground immunity, while also being another great pivot with U-turn and a fantastic physical wallbreaker to aid in your Normal matchup. A potential set you could use might look something like this:

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Life Orb can give you some freedom to switch up between moves, but Choice Band can also spare you the recoil. While it may seem unconventional, this type of HO build in general is pretty unconventional, so take it how you will. This change is really up to you, though.

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
tfw he calls Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree an underused set despite it being one of its best sets

But in all seriousness, it looks like a pretty good team that has definitely seen some success. My only slight suggestion in particular would possibly be Thundurus>Zapdos, since Thundurus still offers the Ground immunity, while also being another great pivot with U-turn and a fantastic physical wallbreaker to aid in your Normal matchup. A potential set you could use might look something like this:

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

Life Orb can give you some freedom to switch up between moves, but Choice Band can also spare you the recoil. While it may seem unconventional, this type of HO build in general is pretty unconventional, so take it how you will. This change is really up to you, though.
that's the definition of underused
thanks for the rate! I originally tried thundurus, but in most matchups it's low longevity meant i had a bit of trouble with ground. this team handles steel pretty well, so the only matchup thundurus helps in is normal. zapdos was a nice defensive cushion to fall back onto when forced on the defensive, and helps bring in the sweepers and wallbreakers safely, not to mention its defog support in matchups where webs arent needed. nonetheless, i will definitely try out band thundurus

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
on top of 6tis and Smubs suggestions, if you want to help Raichu's sweep by having more than one way to set electric terrain for the field you can run Electrium Z Electric Terrain Xurkitree, which still boosts your speed by one stage and ensures Terrain is up for Xurkitree. I realize that Hypnosis puts the Pokemon to sleep but with Electric terrain Grounded Pokemon aren't affected by hypnosis and those that aren't grounded will most likely dodge Hypnosis due to its poor accuracy. This is why I suggest you change your Xurkitree's set!
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Electric Terrain
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Hope my xurkitree's set suggestion helped!

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
on top of 6tis and Smubs suggestions, if you want to help Raichu's sweep by having more than one way to set electric terrain for the field you can run Electrium Z Electric Terrain Xurkitree, which still boosts your speed by one stage and ensures Terrain is up for Xurkitree.
i had a few people tell me to run z-electric terrain, but hypnosis has worked in my favour for way too many battles, it gives xurkitree an actual chance to sweep with tail glow and doesnt require it to take a hit first (assuming xurk is faster). z-e terrain does have it's uses as well, since it also gives me the option of nuking with z-tbolt, so i'll probably try it out as well.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Have you tried any of the Rotoms? Rotom-Wash is basically only afraid of Grass, but is a threat to Ground types with STAB Hydro Pump, and can burn foes with W-o-W.

Full defensive set off the smogon analysis; and at the very least it gives another immunity to Ground.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/rotom-wash/

I would rather you decide if you want it before I say what it could/should replace.

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Have you tried any of the Rotoms? Rotom-Wash is basically only afraid of Grass, but is a threat to Ground types with STAB Hydro Pump, and can burn foes with W-o-W.

Full defensive set off the smogon analysis; and at the very least it gives another immunity to Ground.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/rotom-wash/

I would rather you decide if you want it before I say what it could/should replace.
I did consider rotom-w, but the ground matchup wasnt really hard for me to make rotom my ground immunity, and i dont really see where rotom-w would fit on the team. Nonetheless, i would like to hear what you think it should replace, i will most likely try it out.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I did consider rotom-w, but the ground matchup wasnt really hard for me to make rotom my ground immunity, and i dont really see where rotom-w would fit on the team. Nonetheless, i would like to hear what you think it should replace, i will most likely try it out.
Zapdos.
It seems you need Alolan raichu, Magnezone, tapu, Xurkitree, and Galvantila.

Zapdos is weak to (Stealth) Rock, Ice, and you lack a Fire resist for Magnezone/Galvantula. Plus, Rotom won't be hit by any Earthquakes during its heal, unlike Zapdos during Roost...

Rotom handles the Rock types and Ground types, and most importantly resists the Water and Ice types. Trick is also great as an option with Choice Scarf.

Your goal is to add Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split, and Volt Change to your moveset so you can inflict status, heal, damage with coverage, and pivot to your ally.

I feel like Zapdos is useful, but having Burn seems to protect your team from physical threats, and Rotom can disarm their offense. Also, Rotom is weak to Grass, but nothing else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)