Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o Discussion

i assume pairing shell smash with CLanging scales is a huge nono? I would think a mixed attacked would be great with those stats, but if you do shell smash it hard to do a mixed attacker effectivly.
That's the very first thing I thought of. Fine, it makes Kommo-o even more vulnerable to Ice Shard, but a +2 Clanging Scales is sooooo tempting and easy to spam (helps that it resists Accelerock, Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch and Flying-type priority won't exist). Plus, it has a much more powerful Fighting-type attack, and it still has an attack to take on fairies in Flash Cannon.

Just take out their Weavile and Scizor (Cannot switch in. Bulky sets take 78.7 - 92.7% from Focus Blast while Scizor almost never 2HKOes -1 Kommo-o) and then it's gg.

Last edited:
It might be pure speculation, but assuming shell smash on that moveset was legal, and the dataminers didn't found it, it might be some weird interaction like volt tackle and pichu, that one of the parents needs to hold an item to make the egg get the special move.

After all, stuff like volt tackle doesn't appear in the datamine

That's the very first thing I thought of. Fine, it makes Kommo-o even more vulnerable to Ice Shard, but a +2 Clanging Scales is sooooo tempting and easy to spam. Plus, it has a much more powerful Fighting-type attack, and it still has an attack to take on fairies in Flash Cannon.
My planned set was gonna be

Expert belt/Life Orb
CLanging Scales
Sky Uppercut
Poison Jab
FLame thrower

If it can get shell smash probably I would replace Flame thrower with it. Though we have no idea how, or when we will be able to get a Shell smash on this guy. Could be one of those special event pokemon

Kommo-o - White Herb/Life Orb
-Shell Smash
-Clanging Scales
-Focus Miss
-Flash Cannon

Would be nice. Please don't let me down Game Freak. What ability do you think would be best on this thing?

Kommo-o - White Herb/Life Orb
-Shell Smash
-Clanging Scales
-Focus Miss
-Flash Cannon

Would be nice. Please don't let me down Game Freak. What ability do you think would be best on this thing?
Given that it's probably going to be your late game sweeper, I would say Bulletproof (unless you're running Lele). At +2 priority is probably the only thing stopping it.

Edit: Scrag it all also has sound logic, I think it will ultimately come down to preference.

So I tried to breed Jangmo-o with Shell Smash but unfortunately it didn't learn Shell Smash. :(

Maybe there's an item to be held for it to learn SS or it is indeed an error.

So I tried to breed Jangmo-o with Shell Smash but unfortunately it didn't learn Shell Smash. :(

Maybe there's an item to be held for it to learn SS or it is indeed an error.
It may just be an internal error. Aside from the Pichu line, what other pokemon gets exclusive moves by holding an item?

It may just be an internal error. Aside from the Pichu line, what other pokemon gets exclusive moves by holding an item?
Its possible this is an event move. Does the data base in pokemon count event moves? (Like Victini with the Dragons's signiture moves) and such

I don't think it's an error - the Kommo-o wouldn't be holding White Herb if it was. Besides, Shell Smash access would completely explain its mediocre movepool and stat spread.

It might be a tutor move in a future game or something strange like that.

It can still be an error, an error from someone thinking it could learn Shell Smash and created a set around it, but never realized it couldn't learn the move.

Or it could, but was then removed, yet the moveset remained. Who knows?

I'm 50/50 on wanting Kommo-o to get Shell Smash. My guess is it could be an error on Game Freak's end. They aren't perfect...

But at the same time, doesn't Turtunator learn Shell Smash and is able to breed with the Kommo-o line? It could be possible. We'll just have to find out.

I'm 50/50 on wanting Kommo-o to get Shell Smash. My guess is it could be an error on Game Freak's end. They aren't perfect...

But at the same time, doesn't Turtunator learn Shell Smash and is able to breed with the Kommo-o line? It could be possible. We'll just have to find out.
Someone already tested it out, doesn't get it that way. Only guess is that it's an event move if it's not an error.

Someone already tested it out, doesn't get it that way. Only guess is that it's an event move if it's not an error.
Ah, really? I'm still 50/50 on it. It could be amazing or absolutely terrifying... Either an error, or possible event.

Not convinced with the whole event thing, GF has not ever given battle facility Pokémon event moves in the history of the games as I recall it.

I think this is more likely a future egg move for the line, as I think several Pokémon in the past have had egg/tutor moves that only became available later in the generation.

Not convinced with the whole event thing, GF has not ever given battle facility Pokémon event moves in the history of the games as I recall it.

I think this is more likely a future egg move for the line, as I think several Pokémon in the past have had egg/tutor moves that only became available later in the generation.
Future egg move or not, they'd still remove it from this game so it wouldn't be seen/accessable.

Ice Punch Blaziken is that you?

I'm thinking it has to be some sort of special event or something. Still, the possibility of it knowing Shell Smash is frightening.
Reminder that if this thing get's good move tutors next game+this it'll actually be broken.

If anything, a move it needs to get in a future game is Drain Punch. Just that, and Soundproof Kommo-o rises as a really solid Bulk Up (or Assault Vest, as 80/100 special defenses are far more solid than those of Conkeldurr or Buzzhole, but that lower Attack could work against such a set) user.

Until then, however...

Last edited:
From what we've got now, it's gunna be UU until move tutors pop up. If it gets good moves it'll rise up to OU. If it eventually ends up getting Shell Smash....I don't wanna overestimate it but it might get suspected.

I would imagine a mixed attacking set with
Shell Smash
Clanging Scales
Sky Uppercut
Poison Jab

would be most effective

*prays Shell Smash Kommo-o becomes a real thing*

I feel this whole thing with Shell Smash on Kommo-o could be a result of one of three things:

1. This is a similar situation to Barrier Dragonite and GSC Rock Slide Aerodactyl (both from Lance, coincidentally...that cheater) and it's a move that can only be used by NPCs.

2. Game Freak is teasing us with a future event move, and if this is the case, there could potentially be other Pokémon with moves that they don't normally learn that NPCs are using.

3. It's the least likely, but as someone else said in this thread, it could be bred on to the Kommo-o line when holding a specific item, such as Volt Tackle Pikachu with the Light Ball. Then again, it's Pikachu, which gets special treatment by default. Seem strange to give something like this to Kommo-o.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)