Investing

hyw

Banned deucer.
How about a discussion on investing?

What we are looking for are all sorts of plays, from value in the tradition of Graham, to asset plays, arbitrage opportunities, and companies with a sustainable competitive advantage in alignment with the style of Buffett.

For example, I prefer analysis of net working capital models over outrageously high PE ratios.

I haven't a clue whether anyone here is terribly interested in this scope of finance, if in finance at all, but hopefully this thread survives.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
I have money and I don't know what to do with it so I just let it sit in my current account where it slowly loses value due to inflation
Max out your contributions to your retirement account(s).

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
How about a discussion on investing?

What we are looking for are all sorts of plays, from value in the tradition of Graham, to asset plays, arbitrage opportunities, and companies with a sustainable competitive advantage in alignment with the style of Buffett.

For example, I prefer analysis of net working capital models over outrageously high PE ratios.

I haven't a clue whether anyone here is terribly interested in this scope of finance, if in finance at all, but hopefully this thread survives.
I was into this a few years ago, but now I mostly invest in index funds. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk this stuff.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Already did that
Low cost mutual funds and index funds are a good way to go for "I have some money -- but not 6+ digits money -- and I want to invest it." Gets you fairly diversified and isn't too risky. Vanguard is pretty good. Do your research though, not all funds are created equal.

I've done some grunt work in finance and I've sort of lived around it all my life. Unfortunately, I can't really help much with making this thread all that interesting, though. All of my exposure to stocks and investing has been on long term plays, bonds, and "fundamentals" (boooooo!).

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have money and I don't know what to do with it so I just let it sit in my current account where it slowly loses value due to inflation
Ditch the current account and get a savings account, idk if your bank does that but it should... its pretty standard. Its a no brainer unless your financial situation is hyper-volatile.
Next step (since you don't seem to utilise all the cash) would be to set up a Fixed Deposit (FD) which is essentially locking away a bunch of your money over a certain period of time with the bank for higher returns on the held money. Its very simple to do,any modern bank will allow you to do it on their online portal with a few clicks. Drawback is that the amount you place in FDs is removed from your account balance so you can't withdraw it or use for expenses, but its just as easy to break an FD, should you need the money urgently (but will forfeit those higher returns in turn). Which tbh makes it convenient as an appreciating rainy day fund.

These are like basic things you can do rn.

Ahead of that if you really have money lying around doing nothing consider starting a portfolio, speculate on stocks. there are dime-a-dozen low-risk-low-return plans out there. For some more hands on and high stakes do riskier shit. Trading on the internet is easy. Cryptocurrency speculation is an especially accessible market for the layman, quite a few people in the forums are doing it on the side.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm very curious about investing. Played around with some mock investment games but that's about it as far as my exposure to it.

What are some great ways to learn about different strategies and the ins and outs of investing in general?

Without correct foundations and sound advice you will most likely chase the latest financial fad and buy stuff not worth buying or selling something good out of panic. There is also the matter of knowing the difference between speculators and investors, technical and fundamental analysis, macroeconomics, types of companies (growth, cyclical, assest play, etc.) and such.

Luckily there are great books that are easy and straight to the point:

One up on wall street by peter lynch
Buffet the biography by Roger Lowenstein
The Intelligent Investor
Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques

Simply enough the safest method to invest is to be a long term holder, find a good company that sells sustainable goods and has constant profits, calculate it's true value per share and wait for at least a 20-30% discount and hold until it reaches said true value. Invest with money you can afford to lose, ignore the market when it doesn't swing your way and don't sell at a loss until something out of your hands happens (they cooked their books or whatever). Technical analysis gives a good idea when to invest, fundemantal analysis tells you what to invest into.

Benefit of these concepts is that they can be projected into any financial market. If you are an optimist and have some experinece the alternative currency market is not too shabby atm if you can spot the projects with actual products and solid workplans. You have your bitcoins (goal is to hold at least a few for a very long time), the sia coin (basically dirt cheap unanymous storage) and nem coin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)