Introducing Smogon 1.0.53S

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Smogon server has been upgraded to a custom build of 1.0.53. A full list of changes since the old version can be found here and here.

But so why the "S"? Well, this custom version has a few modifications that the vanilla Pokemon Online-released version does not. Many of these are Smogon-specific (battle and usage logs, and the like), but the big one that I imagine people will care about is better VGC support.

Namely, if you're playing VGC, then you only have 60 seconds per turn to make your move. In addition, there is a 15-minute overall game timer. When that timer runs out, the battle ends, and the player with the most pokemon remaining wins. We're planning on further developing this so that things like move actions, switching and sandstorm consume time from the 15-minute timer, and we also hope to implement more detailed timeout tie-testing conditions (as I understand it, it should go pokes remaining -> % of total HP remaining -> total # of HP remaining -> tie), but those will be in a later implementation.

So what this means for you is that you all should go ahead and upgrade your clients. If you don't play VGC, then the standard 1.0.53 client you can get from Pokemon Online is fine. But if you *do* play VGC, we recommend you download our custom client. You can still play VGC if you don't have it, and everything will work just fine, but you won't get notifications as to how much of the 15-minute timer remains. Note that the 1.0.53S client should work fine on other servers.

Windows users can download our custom client here. Users with Norton/Symantec antivirus should read this post.

A Mac build (Leopard+) is available here, courtesy of Lamperi.

Linux users can get it themselves by building from source.

Enjoy! And report any technical problems to the Tech Support thread.

Lol @Tauros' Anger Point.

Thanks so much, Antar! Not that I play VGC, but still, thank you! :)

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks so much Antar! I know not only the VGC community, but the LC community appreciates your help these past few days!

Is there something wrong with the file?

Whenever I try to download this file, when our security system scans it (Norton Security Suite; no, it's not the trial version, we pay every month for it), it says that there's a virus in it and it instantly deletes the file. Has it become infected since you posted it or is it just a unique type of file? This is the only file that's ever done this to me- I downloaded PO just fine.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to allow the computer to download it without turning off my security system if the file really is safe.

Whenever I try to download this file, when our security system scans it (Norton Security Suite; no, it's not the trial version, we pay every month for it), it says that there's a virus in it and it instantly deletes the file. Has it become infected since you posted it or is it just a unique type of file? This is the only file that's ever done this to me- I downloaded PO just fine.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to allow the computer to download it without turning off my security system if the file really is safe.
You're not the first to report this. I'll look into it. I can almost guarantee that there is no virus--I'm a Linux user, and the program was compiled on a Windows "virtual machine" which couldn't possibly be infected. But I'll look into it.

Edit: what would be extremely helpful is if you could screenshot and upload the Symantec message so I can report the false positive. NSIS--the packager I used--is known to throw up the occasional false positive, and I need to report it to symantec.

@Norton users: Just to let you know that Norton literally reports every single thing as viruses. Don't get too uptight about this. I am a Norton user myself and I've been getting like over 60 million reports on viruses(sarcasm).

Just researched "WS.Reputation.1." It's not that it's been positively identified as malware, it's that it hasn't been positively identified as not malware.

Symantec can go fuck themselves.

However, Norton users, there is a workaround, as described here:

A couple of options are immediately available to any of our common customers who see the problem. The file is not deleted, but rather stored in quarantine. So the user can restore it from quarantine it. Insight will not attempt to remove it after that.

To avoid the issue on a download, the technology itself can be turned off. In the UI the technology is called Download Intelligence… knowing that that is the name of the technology, a user can from the main UI easily turn off Insight for the time needed to download a file.

I think the reason why it doesnt work because it doesnt have a publisher. i downloaded it and it popped up as it MIGHT harm your computer. i pulled up the reason why and it said:
Publisher: Unkown
hope i help

I think the reason why it doesnt work because it doesnt have a publisher. i downloaded it and it popped up as it MIGHT harm your computer. i pulled up the reason why and it said:
Publisher: Unkown
hope i help
Thanks for the tip. Honestly, I'm a Linux guy, though, and I would have no idea how to set a "publisher."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)