Infraction Appeals FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
A few brief FAQ related to infraction appeals.

How do I post an Infraction Appeal?
Click into the appeals subform, click "Appeal your infraction" in the top right corner, and fill out the form, which will proceed to post a thread on your behalf. Describe your appeal thoroughly with as many details as you can remember; post logs/screenshots if necessary. And remember to please be respectful. Understandably if you are appealing an infraction emotions are running high between you and a moderator. Senior Staff expects our moderators to approach appeals in a mature fashion and we expect the same from someone who is appealing.

My appeal was denied! How many times can I post an appeal?
Only appeal an infraction once; everyone gets a fair shot, but if your appeal gets denied and no new evidence comes to light, there's also no reason for us to go back on it.

My friend was banned, so they can't post an appeal! Can I post one for them?
Yes; use the forum ban appeals subforum instead. If you are conveying an appeal from a banned user, you are expected to act as the point of communication throughout the appeal. We're not tracking down BannedMan123 on Discord to let them know the status of their appeal. If you are conveying an appeal, you are assumed to be at least neutral towards unbanning them. If you believe they should stay banned, there is nothing wrong with telling them to find someone else to post. You cannot appeal a forum ban solely on behalf of another user; they must write the appeal in their own words.

Last edited by a moderator:

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Things we are looking for in a strong appeal:

Specific acknowledgement of what you did wrong*. “I am sorry for my actions” is vague and does not show an understanding of what you did or why it was wrong; “I am sorry for X and Y, and know that my actions caused Z” is better. Also, if you have any insight into why you acted that way or mitigating circumstances, bring those up as well.

Reasonable assurances that you won’t do it again*. This can look like expressing remorse, outlining what you have learned since your punishment, or steps to avoid similar situations in the future. The biggest thing we look for in appeals is that whatever lead to the infraction or ban won’t happen again. Only writing "I won't do it again" is again vague and does not show understanding.

Some display of effort. We aren’t going to judge you on eloquence or how long your appeal is, but putting in some level of work shows that you are invested in the appeal and committed to what you say. This notably includes not using ghostwritten or AI-generated appeals.

Maturity in the appeal process. If you deny responsibility, insult staff, etc. your appeal will likely be denied.

*assuming you are not contesting the facts of your infraction; obviously, if you believe the infraction / ban to be based on factually incorrect information, you do not need to admit fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)